Is a BowTie and Jacket too much for Elegant Night?

DP0122201417191470M.tif

Is this too much or would you think this is acceptable...I'm just trying to go all out lol, but I don't want to be laughed at :-X
For formal night you'll see all manner of dress, from full on formal to shorts & tshirts. Go with what you want to do, it's all good.

Don't know what cruise you're doing, but, generally, you may find the shorter (3-5 night) cruises a little less formal. They typically don't have an actual "formal" night but a "Dress Up Optional night".

Longer cruises have formal and semi-formal nights.

For formal night you'll see all manner of dress, from full on formal to shorts & tshirts. Go with what you want to do, it's all good.

Don't know what cruise you're doing, but, generally, you may find the shorter (3-5 night) cruises a little less formal. They typically don't have an actual "formal" night but a "Dress Up Optional night".

Longer cruises have formal and semi-formal nights.

Were going to take a longer Hawain Cruise with Disney!

Were going to take a longer Hawain Cruise with Disney!
On our Hawaii cruise we had 2 formal and one semi-formal night. In reality, the dress was pretty much the same on both nights. Lots of full length dresses & tuxes, as well as some who just dressed as they did every night.

Personally, we're in the "let's get dressed up" group. It's a great opportunity to take nice pictures, also.

*highfives PrincessShmoo I LOVE taking pictures and getting fancy since I wear my same uniform everyday :p.

*p.s. we'll take fancy pictures if we're on the cruise together!

We have our first 7 night booked for next January. My husband is already saying he will wear a tux on formal night and a sport jacket or suit on semi formal night. He wears a dress shirt and slacks every day to work so that's not really "dressed up" for him. I don't think anyone would laugh. I would expect admiring glances. Don't you know the ladies love to see a man in a tux?

My DBF always wears a bow tie for formal night, sometimes with a tux and sometimes with a dark suit. For semi-formal night he wears a regular tie with a dark suit. We enjoy dressing up.

We have had dinner with couples in their tuxedo finery and loved it! there aren't a LOT dressed like that, but you certainly won't be the only one, we have noticed quite a few in very formal attire. Go for it! It raises the level of cruising in my opinion!!

We bought tuxes for my guys & a gown for me for our 8-night in January 2013. Took a bunch of pics pre-dinner......but then we were all so miserably uncomfortable we skipped MDR dinner, changed back to shorts, & went to (then) Topsiders. If it's confy and you enjoy it I say go all out. If it's not your thing, that's okay too. What I found is important for us is just to be comfortable with whatever we choose. ;)

We like to get dressed up so I wear a tux on both formal and semi-formal nights. On one night I wear it with a vest and Mickey tie, on the other with tropical-themed cumberbund and tie. This way I get maximum use to justify the weight and space in my luggage.

You won't be laughed at. I think most people enjoy seeing those who make the effort on formal nights, even if they don't do it themselves.

Last edited:
Mickey will be dressed up in his tux on formal night and other characters will be dressed up too. Makes some nice pictures with guest in tux and long dress. You will not be laughed at. So dress up as you wish and have a blast!

I love to see everyone dressed up on formal night and we dress up ourselves, although DH wears a suit not a tux. I like to see men dressed up in tuxes and nice suits - no one is going to laugh. It might turn some heads, but in admiration not amusement.

Our cruise in in less than 45 days. Its our first cruise ever. I actually purchased a tux. (got a good price) Even got my 6 year old a tux. My wife and daughter are not really into dressing. They don't even want to wear heels. I think its cool/fun to dress up. it's a Halloween Cruise!!! Its a throw back to watching reruns of Love Boat. I say do what you feel like.

We dress up on formal and semi formal night. I like to dress up. You certainly would never be laughed at for dressing up. We have been cruising DCL since they first started sailing and and have seen many tuxes on men and boys over the years.

I never found that formal wear takes up too much room as some argue. I would rather pack formal wear than 2 pair of jeans.

MJ

DP0122201417191470M.tif

Is this too much or would you think this is acceptable...I'm just trying to go all out lol, but I don't want to be laughed at :-X

Perfectly acceptable. I wear a tux on both formal and semi-formal nights (justifies the space and weight of bring it). There are rarely more than a handful of men in formal wear but no one ever laughs. We get compliments and more than a few envious looks.

I do not find wearing a tux uncomfortable. My tux fits well, being neither too tight or too loose. I'm at ease wearing it. I no longer wear a suit, except a few times a year, but it doesn't bother me to clean up nice on occasion.

Last edited:
We have had dinner with couples in their tuxedo finery and loved it! there aren't a LOT dressed like that, but you certainly won't be the only one, we have noticed quite a few in very formal attire. Go for it! It raises the level of cruising in my opinion!!
Honestly - since Disney changed the dress code we have been stunned at the lack of people dressing up for dinner at all. Our last cruise was probably 70% shorts and t-shirt for every night (including Pirate night)\

It's amazing what your perspective can be on this. Because people talk about dressing up vs. not dressing up I started paying attention. On our last 2 cruises both 7 day carribean I felt many more people were dressed up vs. not dressed up. We had late dining and I watched as the early dining people were leaving the dining room and all the people who were in the lobby taking pictures and waiting for the late seating.
So if you want to dress up do!! There will be plenty of people who do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter