Is a BowTie and Jacket too much for Elegant Night?

It's amazing what your perspective can be on this. Because people talk about dressing up vs. not dressing up I started paying attention. On our last 2 cruises both 7 day carribean I felt many more people were dressed up vs. not dressed up. We had late dining and I watched as the early dining people were leaving the dining room and all the people who were in the lobby taking pictures and waiting for the late seating.
So if you want to dress up do!! There will be plenty of people who do.
I agree and hope that people will continue. We are teaching our younger kids the importance of feeling comfortable dressing for dinner and the manners that go along with that.

Is this too much or would you think this is acceptable...I'm just trying to go all out lol, but I don't want to be laughed at :-X

Not at all!! Go for it!! We dress up each evening for dinner, going all out onn formal night. We can't think of a better ending to our nights on the cruise after a day of relaxing or adventure! We're on late dining and never feel over-dressed :)

Not at all!! Go for it!! We dress up each evening for dinner, going all out onn formal night. We can't think of a better ending to our nights on the cruise after a day of relaxing or adventure! We're on late dining and never feel over-dressed :)

A few years ago we did a river boat cruise on the Mississippi over NYE with a small group of friends. Normal attire was cruise casual and there was no formal or dress up night, even for NYE. However, our group dressed in Victorian/Edwardian attire for the entire cruise, day and night: frock coats, ties and hats for men, long dresses and hats for women. On NYE, another man and I dressed in white tie and tails for dinner (think Downton Abbey). The crew and other guests loved it (as well as the historical sites we visited), most saying it brought back the grandeur of the river boats. Some of us have discussed doing a transatlantic (not on DCL) next and dressing formal for dinner every night.

Last edited:
I'd take a main dining room full of bow ties and jackets over one person in shorts. But that's just me. Folks seeking a more casual dining experience can get the exact same food and great service at Topsides and the like.

I adore dressing up. It's such a fun ritual of ours. We come back to our room, have a nice little cocktail, relax, and then get dressed up for dinner and the evening activities.

Were going to take a longer Hawain Cruise with Disney!

On the longer WBPC, my husband wore his tux twice and I was SHOCKED how many people were dressed in formal or black tie. It was awesome to see so many people dressed so nicely. I think it has to do with the age of the clientele. The longer cruises are usually older folks that honor dressing up as an special opportunity. We are young, but loved dressing up. Go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter