Ireland / River Cruise

BluesTraveler

DIS Veteran
Time to think about our next trip.

We are looking at Ireland, and it seems to me the 2017 itinerary may have changed, when I also look at trip reports and comments about Ireland. For those that have been on the Ireland trip, and have a few minutes - would you look at the itinerary and let me know what you think of it?

Also, the Rhine river cruise is still on my list (we initially booked and then backed out). My one hesitation - we really loved getting to know the other families on our Alaska trip, and our kids liked hanging out with the other kids. With a much larger group it seems like that aspect would be tougher. Could anyone who has been on a river cruise (ABD or Tauck) and a 'regular' trip comment on that dynamic?

On the Danube River cruise, I think the kids had a much better time of "bonding" and getting to know each other than the adults did. They'd let the kids all eat dinner together in the lounge if they wanted to, and the Guides entertained them most evenings, from what I saw. The Adults, on the other hand, mostly interacted during the excursions, and you had different folks with you each time. I got to know a handful of folks pretty well, but nowhere near as well as you get to know the whole group on a regular ABD. I did miss that. It was still fabulous, but I missed that. And at meals, folks seemed to be rather cliquey, eating with the same folks, always going for a 4-top with the same couple or just their family, etc. I didn't see a whole lot of mixing it up during meals. There were a few times that, as a solo, I had to walk around the dining room a couple of times to find a table I could join, where there was either room, or folks didn't give you "that look" that meant "don't sit here!"

Sayhello

Last edited:
The only difference I see in the Ireland itinerary is the addition of the Irish National Stud on day 2 and I think they changed day 4 a little because we took a horse cart to Muckross House and had a bike ride after we were there, but the current description sounds a little different. And we didn't have lunch at Muckross House. I don't remember where lunch was that day. And the Ghost Tour is gone. Not a big loss, IMO.

I've done river cruises on both the Rhine and Danube (neither with ABD). It's definitely different since the group is larger, but still possible to have a similar experience. On our Tauck trip we got to know several families well (didn't hurt that we had been on a previous trip with one extended family) and the guides as well. It wasn't significantly different than an ABD where we had a group of 44 guests. That experience is also different than an ABD with a smaller group.

Last edited:
The changes in Ireland look pretty subtle. We opted out of the ghost tour. We took a carriage to Muckross and had a bike ride after. It sounds like the bike ride is before and Ross Castle is now replacing the carriage ride. We actually did both (carriage ride and Ross Castle- a photo stop) which was unusual and probably because we were and adults only group. It's an even trade off between the two. Were there any other differences you noticed?

Blues Traveler--You mentioned that your family is very active. We enjoyed Ireland but it's been our least favorite of all of our adventures (that's not a slight, we've loved them all). There is a lot of bus time and it's not really active at all. It's a beautiful country and a great place to visit but keep that in mind.

In fact, based on our experience with this one, we have only tried to book the adventures with lots of activities (this is one of the reasons we jumped off of the River Cruise for Peru in December). This should not be a deal breaker but something to think about.

On the Danube River cruise, I think the kids had a much better time of "bonding" and getting to know each other than the adults did. They'd let the kids all eat dinner together in the lounge if they wanted to, and the Guides entertained them most evenings, from what I saw. The Adults, on the other hand, mostly interacted during the excursions, and you had different folks with you each time. I got to know a handful of folks pretty well, but nowhere near as well as you get to know the whole group on a regular ABD. I did miss that. It was still fabulous, but I missed that. And at meals, folks seemed to be rather cliquey, eating with the same folks, always going for a 4-top with the same couple or just their family, etc. I didn't see a whole lot of mixing it up during meals. There were a few times that, as a solo, I had to walk around the dining room a couple of times to find a table I could join, where there was either room, or folks didn't give you "that look" that meant "don't sit here!"

Sayhello

Thank you for this insight - I was wondering the same thing. I will be doing the Danube cruise next summer- just myself and my 16 year old son. I've never done ABD without my husband and 2 daughters, and wondered how my son and I would fare traveling on our own. He is extremely extroverted and would probably ditch me in a second to eat with his peers, but might hesitate if he thinks I will be left alone. On our traditional ABD trips, we have had some groups that were more welcoming than others. Those with large families tended to keep to themselves, as well as those who were new to ABD. On our most recent trip, we really had to work to sit with families other than our own. People tended to stay with the same groups night after night. It sounds like I will need to be proactive, as a "solo" adult traveler, if I don't want to end up looking like the new kid, walking into the high school cafeteria on the first day!

Thank you for this insight - I was wondering the same thing. I will be doing the Danube cruise next summer- just myself and my 16 year old son. I've never done ABD without my husband and 2 daughters, and wondered how my son and I would fare traveling on our own. He is extremely extroverted and would probably ditch me in a second to eat with his peers, but might hesitate if he thinks I will be left alone. On our traditional ABD trips, we have had some groups that were more welcoming than others. Those with large families tended to keep to themselves, as well as those who were new to ABD. On our most recent trip, we really had to work to sit with families other than our own. People tended to stay with the same groups night after night. It sounds like I will need to be proactive, as a "solo" adult traveler, if I don't want to end up looking like the new kid, walking into the high school cafeteria on the first day!
That's interesting. I've mostly done Adult Only trips, and I really didn't see that kind of clique-ish-ness on most of those. It didn't occur to me that some of that might be the Family with kids factor.

Sayhello

waves hi, Irish person here, will go and look at the itinerary for you :)

These are interesting insights. Maybe the cruise is the right trip for us after all (and if we do it I'll keep an eye out for solo diners!!).

acndis - thanks very much. I called ABD to get more info on how much bus time, and learned that for the week we're looking at, there are already 10 adults signed up and zero kids. That would be a bummer for our kids - we had 15 in Alaska, which they loved.

That's interesting. I've mostly done Adult Only trips, and I really didn't see that kind of clique-ish-ness on most of those. It didn't occur to me that some of that might be the Family with kids factor.

Sayhello

On our most recent trip, we did have a solo traveler, and she blended wonderfully! I think sometimes it was easier, because she could slide into an empty spot, while my kids were never sure if they were supposed to sit with us, sit with other kids (there wasn't usually a kids table), or fill in the empty spots with another family. It seemed as if we were often the last family to the table, and everyone else already had their spots. Everyone was very nice, but it was sometimes hard to get to know the other travelers when we had to find spots for all 5 of us.

These are interesting insights. Maybe the cruise is the right trip for us after all (and if we do it I'll keep an eye out for solo diners!!).

acndis - thanks very much. I called ABD to get more info on how much bus time, and learned that for the week we're looking at, there are already 10 adults signed up and zero kids. That would be a bummer for our kids - we had 15 in Alaska, which they loved.
Yes, it is a much better trip for adults. My son was only six when we went and we had a nice group of kids but they did not bond like our Greece group did (when he was only four) and I think it was because it was a lot of touring, etc. The only active thing I remember is the bike ride. I also think the itinerary is one you can do one your own--Calypso did a great version of it.

I know it's not anywhere on your list but the SE Asia trip is oh so fun! Loved it! So many activities and food. You may be swayed if you read Cousin Orville's report.

Yes, it is a much better trip for adults. My son was only six when we went and we had a nice group of kids but they did not bond like our Greece group did (when he was only four) and I think it was because it was a lot of touring, etc. The only active thing I remember is the bike ride. I also think the itinerary is one you can do one your own--Calypso did a great version of it.

I know it's not anywhere on your list but the SE Asia trip is oh so fun! Loved it! So many activities and food. You may be swayed if you read Cousin Orville's report.
Yes - it's on our list!

After much discussion tonight, and narrowing choices down to 3 & letting the rest of the family pick one, we have decided on...Wyoming. Totally a different path than everything else we were considering, but I think will be perfect for next summer. A number of dates already have a high number of kids booked, which is important to my kids. And, for all the places I've been, I've never been to Wyoming, so that's exciting for me.

Thanks for the kind words. SE Asia is a special ABD. One of the best. Probably one I'll repeat one day as my other kids get older.

Thanks for the kind words. SE Asia is a special ABD. One of the best. Probably one I'll repeat one day as my other kids get older.
Mind my asking specifically what made it so special? Especially compared to China?

Sayhello

Mind my asking specifically what made it so special? Especially compared to China?

Sayhello
I have not been to China so can't compare but I loved all the countries but especially Vietnam. Loved the Tai Chi lesson, the hikes, the gondola ride, the Amazing Race game in Angkor Wat. My son loved the Cu Chi tunnels. The food is incredible and all the hotels are stunning. We had a great group of adventurers. The cultural experience was just amazing, too.

China is next on our list but don't overlook this one. It's still a good price point, too.

Wyoming is perfect! We loved the Winter version. We also want to do summer. We loved the Grand Canyon trip, too.

Sayhello

China and Australia were special as well. I hate to pick favorites when it comes to ABD, but there is something very special... epic when it comes to all of those longer more exotic ABDs.

SE Asia (much like China as well) should really be the poster child for ABD. You know, the promo where the guide is excited to show their guests something they've never seen before and waves them on. These are places that are so different from what we're used to - the rich asian culture, the completely foreign language, the bustling streets filled with motorbikes and no crosswalks, the food, the people, everything. And ABD takes you there and introduces that world to you so well.

SE Asia has such a wide range of places you see. Everything is so different. The developing international city of HCMC and it's history. Hoi An at night in town with its lit paper lanterns lining the 3rd world streets. The awesome food in Hanoi and the fact that you don't see any other westerners. Laos = The Jungle Book, and the alms giving, the beautiful temples. Cambodia and of course Angkor Wat and the other Wats. The Amazing Race style activity racing around from temple to temple on tuc tucs hunting for the clues - still possibly my favorite ABD experience anywhere. It's so different for anything you've ever experienced before... and it's so beautiful.

Now ask me later, and I'll make the argument for China. All ABDs are great. I'm super excited about going next week on my next one. But China and SE Asia (and Australia) were awesome. They must be experienced at some point. If they created another longer ABD somewhere in Asia, it would probably jump to the top of my list. It's ABD at its best.

I have not been to China so can't compare but I loved all the countries but especially Vietnam. Loved the Tai Chi lesson, the hikes, the gondola ride, the Amazing Race game in Angkor Wat. My son loved the Cu Chi tunnels. The food is incredible and all the hotels are stunning. We had a great group of adventurers. The cultural experience was just amazing, too.

China is next on our list but don't overlook this one. It's still a good price point, too.
I'm signed up for China next summer, but flying to Budapest this summer was rough, and I started to talk myself out of it. So I need to remember what makes these exotic trips special. Thanks!

China and Australia were special as well. I hate to pick favorites when it comes to ABD, but there is something very special... epic when it comes to all of those longer more exotic ABDs.

SE Asia (much like China as well) should really be the poster child for ABD. You know, the promo where the guide is excited to show their guests something they've never seen before and waves them on. These are places that are so different from what we're used to - the rich asian culture, the completely foreign language, the bustling streets filled with motorbikes and no crosswalks, the food, the people, everything. And ABD takes you there and introduces that world to you so well.

SE Asia has such a wide range of places you see. Everything is so different. The developing international city of HCMC and it's history. Hoi An at night in town with its lit paper lanterns lining the 3rd world streets. The awesome food in Hanoi and the fact that you don't see any other westerners. Laos = The Jungle Book, and the alms giving, the beautiful temples. Cambodia and of course Angkor Wat and the other Wats. The Amazing Race style activity racing around from temple to temple on tuc tucs hunting for the clues - still possibly my favorite ABD experience anywhere. It's so different for anything you've ever experienced before... and it's so beautiful.

Now ask me later, and I'll make the argument for China. All ABDs are great. I'm super excited about going next week on my next one. But China and SE Asia (and Australia) were awesome. They must be experienced at some point. If they created another longer ABD somewhere in Asia, it would probably jump to the top of my list. It's ABD at its best.
As I just said above, I really was kind of sick & exhausted after the flight to Budapest, and I started talking myself out of the China trip. I think it was both the flight time, and the *differentness* of China. But you've reminded me that it's just that differentness that makes these trips special. That the exotic trips are even more worth the expense and the time because it *is* so different from what I've done & experienced before. Thanks to both you & acndis. :) I'm still totally dreading the flights, but I'll bite the bullet and manage somehow, because the experience there will be so worth it. Thanks!

Sorry for hijacking this thread!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter