Infant car seat on rides

Rydalot

Earning My Ears
My kids will be 35 months and 8 months when we visit Disney next month. I am used to keeping my youngest in his car seat carrier whenever we go shopping to a restaurant etc. and have a stroller that only a car seat can clip into (no other seat options...just a frame with a basket under it). We were going to have the youngest in that since it has an awesome canopy that pulls out from the handle to the top of his carrier, keeping him well shaded. For my older son we were going to use a little umbrella stroller. My question is can my youngest be carried onto any rides in his car seat or will he always have to be removed? I'm picturing a scenario where say we are about to get on 'It's a small world' and my youngest just falls asleep. I would hate to disturb him, which is what I would do if I undid all his straps and lifted him out. If car seats were allowed and fit on some of these little rides I would carry him on and he would probably sleep through the whole thing. If not, I guess I would then have my husband go with our older son and then do the child swap thing so I could have a turn riding with him. If my youngest son is sleeping and there are things we can go on with him in the car seat, those would be the rides I would probably gravitate to. How about shows like 'country bears jamboree' and things like that? Can a stroller or a car seat be brought in there?

You'll have to take him out on all rides. I think its really a safety issue. There is no room on all the rides for a giant infant car seat. Why not just use a carrier? And they only have rider swap for the rides with height restrictions so that scenario would not work on a ride like Its a Small World. Also, strollers aren't allowed in shows. We occasionally would take our stroller into a counter service restaurant if it was basically empty, but I bet during high crowd times, they probably won't let you. Sit down restaurants don't usually let you either because there is no room at the tables for a stroller.

My kids will be 35 months and 8 months when we visit Disney next month. I am used to keeping my youngest in his car seat carrier whenever we go shopping to a restaurant etc. and have a stroller that only a car seat can clip into (no other seat options...just a frame with a basket under it). We were going to have the youngest in that since it has an awesome canopy that pulls out from the handle to the top of his carrier, keeping him well shaded. For my older son we were going to use a little umbrella stroller. My question is can my youngest be carried onto any rides in his car seat or will he always have to be removed? I'm picturing a scenario where say we are about to get on 'It's a small world' and my youngest just falls asleep. I would hate to disturb him, which is what I would do if I undid all his straps and lifted him out. If car seats were allowed and fit on some of these little rides I would carry him on and he would probably sleep through the whole thing. If not, I guess I would then have my husband go with our older son and then do the child swap thing so I could have a turn riding with him. If my youngest son is sleeping and there are things we can go on with him in the car seat, those would be the rides I would probably gravitate to. How about shows like 'country bears jamboree' and things like that? Can a stroller or a car seat be brought in there?

I dont think you are going to be able to take a car seat on the rides. I have never seen any in all my years of going. The car seats are great for running into stores, grocery shopping, etc., but not a great idea for a long day and week at the parks.
I would invest or borrow a carrier and use that for standing in lines. I also think that if you are going to be there for a week or so, that being in that carseat for that long wont be good for your infant. There are lots of great rental sites where you can get a Baby Jogger City Mini (which has an awesome canopy). We own one for our WDW stroller and love it. There should be a link at the top of the page (Orlando Stroller Rentals). The WDW strollers wouldnt be an option for an 8 mo old. I think applescotters.com was having a special for like $5 or $6 a day. Great deal!

I wore my son a lot on his first trip at 10 months. At 8 months he wanted to sit up a lot so he wouldn't have been comfortable in that infant carrier going around Disney. I rented a City Mini stroller that trip and he spent time in that too. I could wear him on rides that didn't have a lap bar. He actually woke up on Small World, his first ride, in his carrier. For rides with a lap bar like Pooh, it was a bit tighter. The Ergo carrier was wonderful.

I wouldn't keep the baby in the carseat all day. Can you imagine how uncomfy that would be? My babies would have wanted to sit up and see people. I would buy a dif stroller or rent one. There is no room on rides for the baby buckets.

I have not know any 8 month old who would happily sit in a car seat all day. Not only would it be very uncomfortable, it could get really hot. Use a stroller or carrier.

No car seats on the rides.

I wouldn't keep the baby in the carseat all day. Can you imagine how uncomfy that would be? My babies would have wanted to sit up and see people. I would buy a dif stroller or rent one. There is no room on rides for the baby buckets.

Totally agree! I try to limit the time my DD (almost 7 months) spends in her car seat. I would definitely buy/rent a stroller!

If the canopy/sunshade is one of the reasons you want to use the car seat- check out UppaBaby. I have the Vista (full stroller) and their G-LUXE umbrella stroller. Both have large 50+UV rated pull down canopies that are awesome at keeping DD in the shade.

Sorry, I'm strongly against keeping babies in their carseats for convenience. It's a carseat and belongs in a car. Babies crave to be held and close to their parents...it's where they feel safe, not in a hard cold car seat. You can't take the carseat on a ride. My suggestion....either carry your baby or invest in a carrier/wrap. Trust me....it's much easier than carrying around a carseat! With my 1st, I knew nothing of baby wearing but luckily discovered a sling when I had my 2nd. It truly makes life so much easier and it's better for the baby. :)

I'm sorry, but seeing babies in car seats at WDW makes me want to cry. That isn't a good position for a baby to be in. It's necessary in the car, but otherwise, babies need to be able to move and not have their head laying flat on something hard. Please get a regular stroller and/or a baby carrier (like an Ergo or sling of some sort) so that the baby can move around during the day. It's especially important when the weather is warm, like it will be during your trip.

A baby carrier or sling is the optimal way to carry a baby at WDW, if the baby likes it. You can use it in the lines and on the rides, so the baby isn't as heavy while you're waiting in line, and when he falls asleep, there's no need to move him around. It's nice to have a stroller too, though, because most babies won't want to be in a carrier all day long, and most parents will want to have a little time not wearing the carrier.

WE were just there with our 8 month old about 2 weeks ago, and there's no way I would have kept her in a car seat all day. We brought it with us for use in the rental car, but that's it. We didn't even bring her snap n go with us. We rented a City Mini from Kingdom Strollers (we have a CM at home as well, but didn't want to cart it through the airport) - it was great! She enjoyed being able to sit up in it, and she slept in it very well (after we learned to clip a blanket over when she was tired so she would actually go to sleep instead of staying awake because there was so much to look at!)

we also brought our Beco Gemini carrier. We didn't use it quite as much as I think I would have had my mom not been along (she's not really a babywearing fan, and always thinks DD is uncomfortable when she's not), but it was still great. we could feed her in the carrier while walking from one land to another, stand in line with her more easily than just holding her, and she got to see a bit more of the world.

Check to see if there's a Babywearing International chapter near you. The one by me has a lending library, and if you become a member for the year, you get to borrow carriers for one month at a time. That's how we decided we liked the Beco the best. We tried out quite a few types of carriers before settling on buying the Beco

RachaelA said:
You'll have to take him out on all rides. I think its really a safety issue. There is no room on all the rides for a giant infant car seat. Why not just use a carrier? And they only have rider swap for the rides with height restrictions so that scenario would not work on a ride like Its a Small World. Also, strollers aren't allowed in shows. We occasionally would take our stroller into a counter service restaurant if it was basically empty, but I bet during high crowd times, they probably won't let you. Sit down restaurants don't usually let you either because there is no room at the tables for a stroller.

This I kinda off topic, but figured I'd ask. We rented a stroller for our 5 & 3 yr old for our upcoming trip. What do you do with it while you go in somewhere to eat?

Car seats are not allowed on the rides, sorry.

This I kinda off topic, but figured I'd ask. We rented a stroller for our 5 & 3 yr old for our upcoming trip. What do you do with it while you go in somewhere to eat?

Just like on a ride the stroller gets left in that ride or restaurants stroller parking.

Yay to all the baby-wearing mommas on this thread! :cheer2: I'm in agreement. I used a sling for a long time when my kids were little and it was much easier at the parks. Plus it helped me feel that the baby was more secure on rides like Peter Pan, where the baby could squirm. It also brings the baby up to eye level where he can see so much more! If you haven't used a carrier or sling before, do some research to see which one might work for you, then give it a few trial runs so you can be sure it will work for you. A lot of people say carriers or slings are uncomfortable, but I think they just haven't found the right one...took a couple tries for us with our first baby.

Also as a heads up if the parks are crowded you will not be able to take your stroller with you all the time. During heavy crowds you are asked to park your stroller in the areas stroller parking and either carry your kids or have them walk. Not everyone listens but I know I have seen the CMs asking for strollers to be parked while you explore during the summer months.

lost*in*cyberspace said:
I have not know any 8 month old who would happily sit in a car seat all day. Not only would it be very uncomfortable, it could get really hot. Use a stroller or carrier.

No car seats on the rides.

I agree

Last trip my youngest was 9mo. He wasn't in the stroller much. Ride are close together. So we would park the stroller and go from ride to ride in a section. After a while we would move on and re-park the stroller. The chance to fall asleep in the stroller were limited to long walks. I borrowed a carrier (Ergo - my guy was way too big by then for mine) and that was perfect. He could kind of sit on my lap in it on the ride or at shows. He would fall asleep in it and just come along for the ride. It has a canopy to put over head to minimize noise and provide shade. It worked out perfect.

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose reaction was to get that kid out of the carseat and into a carrier or at least a real stroller. At that age, do both the kid and the parent a favor by going for some kind of two-shouldered carrier that puts the kid in a comfy seated position (not dangling by the crotch).

I have a wrap and a carrier but am currently injured with a hernia and sprained tendons in my back so I can't carry him. He is not able to sit up yet on his own. Anytime we are stopped for a bit we will have him out of the seat but walking from one spot tto another he'll be in a stroller of some sort. We are only going to the parks for a few hours in the morning then maybe back for an hour or two in the evening. I was debating on renting a double stroller from apple but unsure what would work best for us. I need a stroller to lean on for support but the double stroller I had purchased to use at home had to be returned as it was too heavy for me to push. We were trying to make do with the strollers we could fit in our car that are light enough for me to push.

I have a wrap and a carrier but am currently injured with a hernia and sprained tendons in my back so I can't carry him. He is not able to sit up yet on his own. Anytime we are stopped for a bit we will have him out of the seat but walking from one spot tto another he'll be in a stroller of some sort. We are only going to the parks for a few hours in the morning then maybe back for an hour or two in the evening. I was debating on renting a double stroller from apple but unsure what would work best for us. I need a stroller to lean on for support but the double stroller I had purchased to use at home had to be returned as it was too heavy for me to push. We were trying to make do with the strollers we could fit in our car that are light enough for me to push.

Give DH the carrier?!? I have plenty of pics in Disney of my (large) husband sporting the Ergo.

We rented a double stroller from Orlando Stroller Rentals and loved it! It was lightweight to push though it may be too heavy for you to lift in/out of car/ bus with your situation. Can DH take that duty?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter