Infant car seat on rides

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Rydalot, Mar 27, 2013.

1. chloelovesdisney

chloelovesdisney DIS Veteran

I just read your post about having difficulty getting in and out of rides. There are rides you will be able to go on with your family with no problem - Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear, People Mover, Under the Sea, Nemo, Journey Into Imagination, etc.. There's also all the shows, parades and characters. Some of the rides can be slowed down so you can get in (Buzz, Under the Sea, Nemo).

The boats I would be a little wary of because you tend to have to push up to get out of them. Although your dh could be on the exit end, get out, then get both kids out. Usually the stroller will be there waiting for you at the exit, so he could probably put the baby right in and hold onto your toddler. Don't even think about doing the Tomorrowland Speedway.

While the baby is napping is the perfect time for you to sit and take a break, and for your dh to take your toddler on the rides you won't be able to go on. I was happy to get a cold drink, sit and people watch while ds napped.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cheer25mom

cheer25mom DIS Veteran

I have read the studies, I just don't agree with their conclusions. I don't believe there is enough sound research to support the idea that infant car seats are harmful.

4. ThreeBeans

ThreeBeans Now with FOUR Beans

:eyebrow:

Cite your source.

5. Rydalot

Rydalot Earning My Ears

I can't begin to tell the above posters how grateful I am for the suggestions for the 'disabilty' tag for the stroller. I had no idea that was something Disney had and may make things quite a bit easier for me around Disney! I guess even though I have some personal physical challenges right now I didn't think to even check the disablities section as I was thinking that was more for wheelchair bound etc and people who have far more challenges than I am facing. Good to know! I'll do some reading over there. At the same time I am so excited for my kids to see Disney, it's also really important for me to manage the pain and avoid situations that make it worse so I can enjoy more of the day at a slower pace and not be a Debbie Downer. Inside it is killing me that I can't participate as much as I want to. I am a ride junkie and this is my first trip to Disney in 20 years. Hoping the adrenaline of being there in the magical world of Disney will block out some of the physical stuff! Thanks for the help!

6. SmallWorld71

SmallWorld71 DIS Veteran

First trip in 20 years! Have fun!:banana:

I've seen people ask on the disABILITIES board for advice on such a wide variety of things: diabetes, autism, wheelchairs, allergies, and sprained ankles to just name a few. They are an incredible wealth of knowledge over there. ::yes::

7. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
    Post 6 is about Guest Assistance Cards. Page 2 of that thread includes information about getting into rides/transfers in posts 18-21.

8. chloelovesdisney

chloelovesdisney DIS Veteran

I promise it's entirely possible to have a fantastic trip with your kids at WDW even with medical issues. :goodvibes Do a search on the disabilities board, there have been several threads about the stroller as a wheelchair tag (a few are from me, lol). Many of them are regarding kids that need to remain in their stroller for various reasons but you will still get some helpful tips.

9. tyzzle

tyzzle Mouseketeer

I just want to add real quick that you should talk to your doc about some type of pain relief or control even if just for the trip. I have bf'ed for a total of almost 5 years and there are meds you can take in small doses to help that aren't harmful to baby. Heck they send me home with vicodin after my c/s. I understand if it is a personal choice, but at 8 mos. and with low doses, your child would not be getting much medication transferred from bf. I don't want to give any more unsolicited advice, but I want your trip to be enjoyable. i hope you have a great trip and that you will be feeling well :)

10. ThreeBeans

By my third day in Disney I'll be in a chair. I always go in full of vim and vigor! NOT THIS TIME! IMA CONQUER ALLLLLL!

You'd think I'd learn :joker:

The chair or the scooter does change the *way* we tour a bit, but does not dampen the happiness or the experience in the least. If not needing to walk is going to reduce your pain, don't be ashamed to use the tools available to you.

11. cheer25mom

cheer25mom DIS Veteran

Source for what? The fact that I don't agree with what I read?? There is no source for that other than my own reasoning and critical thinking skills. Just because a research study says they have proved something doesn't mean it is so and I don't take the conclusions of studies as fact unless and until there have been mutiple credible peer reviewed studies to prove thier conclusions. I just don't feel I've seen enough credible evidence here. I don't know what I can cite to prove that as it is my OPINION based on what I have read. You and anyone else are welcome to disagree, but not agreeing with someone's conclusions is not the same as being ignorant.

12. ThreeBeans

I think you perhaps have a confused understanding of what research studies are and what they do based on your commentary here. Research studies don't 'prove' things. That phrase alone is anathema to any scientists. Research studies indicate that the null is either likely very unlikely or very likely to be true. There is always a confidence margin.

Furthermore, research studies do not make recommendations. They present data.

So, when you say you have not seen credible evidence, I am curious, what evidence do you find not credible? What was the abstract of the study? The methodology? The statistics? Are you questioning the methodology?

It's just a very .....odd....thing to do say about a research study, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are intending to use the words you are using.

13. nchulka

nchulka <font color=purple>it was funny when the creepy gu

Here is MY evidence. My kids were in baby buckets and they are alive and well, PROOF that infant carriers are not detrimental to their development and well being. Seriously talk about first world problems! We're debating whether a baby carrier is "safe" or "dangerous". Some of you really need to watch the documentary "Babies" and see how some little tykes in third world countries are growing up. I'm sure they are a lot tougher than their American counterparts who are too delicate for such dangerous items as infant carries and drop side cribs :rolleyes1

14. ThreeBeans

Anecdata are not proof.

I have seen Babies. It's a cute movie. That poor Mongolian baby, LOL, getting pecked by the chicken and left tied to a pole in the middle of the yurt!

But it's not 'science' either. It's just a movie.

This isn't about your personal experience or your gut instincts. It's simply data. Data doesn't judge. It's not mean. It just is :-)

15. cheer25mom

cheer25mom DIS Veteran

Last post about research:
    I know all this. I was just trying to simplify my response and not use too much technical jargon. I realize that research doesn't "prove" things and I do understand the science and the statistics behind it. I was trying to give a simplified answer that everyone could understand. I also feel that statistics can be misused and that sample size, sample demographics, ect play a role in concusions. I believe that proving a statistical link does not prove causality. I can show that living in the suburbs directly correlates to having a minivan, but does that mean that one causes the other? That is my problem here. I have never seen a study that inicated a CAUSAL link with sufficient evidence for ME to take it as fact. You may interpret those results differently and that is fine.

Honestly, I don't recall off the top of my head every reserach study I have ever looked at or the particular ones on this subject. If YOU have easy acess to some that you feel strongly indicate that I am incorrect in my concluson I would love to see them. I just have never seen anything that leads me to conclude that a causal link has been indicated between infant seat use and harm to a child. If you have studies that indicate credibly that this in fact is the case, mabye it will change my mind, but up to this point nothing I have seen on the subject does that.

16. ThreeBeans

Ah, I see! :-) This makes much more sense.

I'll be perfectly honest, this isn't my field so I haven't done much reading in the subject beyond being aware of the data and the subsequent recommendations from various organizations. I was just taken aback by the contention that you didn't believe the research studies. I see now you were simplifying for the purposes of discussion :-)

Anyhoo, now that we've completely side tracked the thread for a nerdly discussion of stats.... :rotfl2:

17. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

You can't use your kids as an example. When we started the back to sleep program SIDS deaths decreased by 60% so saying I put my baby on his belly and he lived doesn't make sense.

18. RachaelA

RachaelA DIS Veteran

Okay seriously? :rolleyes2 Well our parents didn't use car seats at all and they were fine so let's all just stop using carseats!

19. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

I don't get that logic either

20. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

Drop side cribs have caused a number of baby deaths so let's not make light of it