Infant car seat on rides

I just asked a simple question...didn't expect to be berated for my choice of transport in the process. Seems like the people doing so are not taking the time to read what I have posted so I will explain again. We will not be in the park all day...maybe 2-3 hrs early am and 2 hrs in the evening and that will be really pushing it for me physically. Dh will be doing most of the rides with toddler. I will be looking for shady spots to sit with babe on lap but will use the car seat stroller to get from one attraction to another. The car seat stroller works great for me as he is high up making it mch easier for me to lift him out myself. As I had mentioned I was just curious if there were any attractions if baby was napping I could actually participate too rather than being stuck on the sidelines without lifting him out and disturbing his sleep. By the way, if it's so bad to have your baby in a car seat, why do so many companies make strollers that fit them? Just saying. I have the answer I needed with the first response...no car seats on/in attractions...got it....no further responses needed for this thread. Thank you.

You will not be able to take your stroller many places. You would need to carry your baby in line for rides (and sometimes the stroller parking is not that close). Also most ts and some cs places do not allow it. And again most shows. Those car seats can get very heavy to carry around. Have your dh carry the baby in a carrier and rent a double stroller or another umbrella one. Even if your little one is not sitting up by themselves any stroller with a slight recline and 5 point harness will be fine.

Rydalot said:
I just asked a simple question...didn't expect to be berated for my choice of transport in the process. Seems like the people doing so are not taking the time to read what I have posted so I will explain again. We will not be in the park all day...maybe 2-3 hrs early am and 2 hrs in the evening and that will be really pushing it for me physically. Dh will be doing most of the rides with toddler. I will be looking for shady spots to sit with babe on lap but will use the car seat stroller to get from one attraction to another. The car seat stroller works great for me as he is high up making it mch easier for me to lift him out myself. As I had mentioned I was just curious if there were any attractions if baby was napping I could actually participate too rather than being stuck on the sidelines without lifting him out and disturbing his sleep. By the way, if it's so bad to have your baby in a car seat, why do so many companies make strollers that fit them? Just saying. I have the answer I needed with the first response...no car seats on/in attractions...got it....no further responses needed for this thread. Thank you.

Wow why post if you don't want the responses. We are mostly moms here and it does bother people when we see babies in carseats all day. It's one thing for a newborn to be in the baby bucket for a long time and another for an 8 month old. 8 month old do well in reg strollers.

By the way, if it's so bad to have your baby in a car seat, why do so many companies make strollers that fit them?

To make money. Clearly more and more moms are realizing how bad it is to leave them in a carseat, thus the responses you've gotten. Can you postpone your trip until your back is better? Sounds like a miserable time to only spend 2-4 hours a day in a park and not be able to do anything at that. Just an idea.

Rydalot said:

Wow. We are all moms here and just trying to give some helpful advice. And yes it's not the best to keep an older baby in an infant seat in a stroller for long periods. They are more meant for newborns. That said if you really want to use it then use it. Don't get pissy with people who are just trying to help you.

Another thing to know... if you go to Epcot the Land building doesn't allow strollers in it at all. so you would have to carry the baby the whole time your there or miss it all together. i"m not sure if there are other large buildings like that which do not allow strollers but if there are you may have problems just walking around between rides with your family.

those are convertibles, but that's not what the OP is talking about. the infant seats are only rear facing and snap in and out of the carseat base so you can take the whole seat with you.

Okay, I looked at our old seat again. You are correct that the bucket version and the convertible were two different seats. My kid sized out height-wise before turning her was an issue and I misremembered.

However, on the primary issue of whether an 8 month old can even fit in the bucket... well, that's still a yes. Graco SnugRide 35.

http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1839195

If your back will take it you can haul the poor kid around in that thing up to 35 pounds. Certainly an 8 month old is unlikely to be too big.

wdwmom3 said:
Wow. We are all moms here and just trying to give some helpful advice. And yes it's not the best to keep an older baby in an infant seat in a stroller for long periods. They are more meant for newborns. That said if you really want to use it then use it. Don't get pissy with people who are just trying to help you.

I agree

I can understand not being able to use a baby carrier if you have back problems. Soft structure carriers like the Boba or Ergo carrier work for most people, but you're still be carrying a 20-ish pound baby for a couple of hours a day.

Have you considered a woven wrap (like the Moby, but less stretchy)? I think it helps distribute the weight along my back & shoulders more evenly. Depending on your injury, it might be worth a try.

I do agree that renting a stroller is probably your best option, though I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I wouldn't shed a tear or call child support services if you used your snap-and-go for short periods of time. I still occasionally used my keyfit 30 bucket seat until my baby could sit up well in an umbrella stroller. It worked well for things like my own doctor's
appointments, where I couldn't hold him the whole time.

A baby that age will tell you if they're uncomfortable, obviously.

We will not be in the park all day...maybe 2-3 hrs early am and 2 hrs in the evening and that will be really pushing it for me physically. Dh will be doing most of the rides with toddler. I will be looking for shady spots to sit with babe on lap but will use the car seat stroller to get from one attraction to another.

If you're only planning on being in the parks 2-3 hours at a time, can you try and plan it so your 8 month old is awake while you're in the park? DD (8 months also) stays up for 3 hrs at a time during the day usually right now (though she will do more if she's distracted, like at Disney) - then she naps. If you worked it out like that, then you and the baby could ride most of what your DH and toddler will ride, and you'd be on your way back to the hotel when your baby is sleeping, and you'd be able to use the snap n go or a regular stroller (as your DH would be able to take the baby out if you're on your way back to the hotel) - and the baby wouldn't be in it for multiple hours at a time.

Conversely, if the above isn't an option, perhaps plan being in the park while the baby is sleeping? If the baby is sleeping, it wouldn't matter if you could take the baby out of the stroller, so one of the city minis would be just fine. DD was quite comfortable in there, and easily napped for 2 hrs at a time.

By the way, if it's so bad to have your baby in a car seat, why do so many companies make strollers that fit them? Just saying. I have the answer I needed with the first response...no car seats on/in attractions...got it....no further responses needed for this thread. Thank you.

Most of us here are just trying to help you and your entire family have the most enjoyable time possible. DD doesn't mind her car seat, but she doesn't like to be in it unless she's moving. and I don't mean moving like strolling through FL, but moving at a good clip (like being in a car). in the City Mini she's more content with strolling speed (unless she's tired, then it's power walking time).

While a snap n go is very convenient, and we do still use ours pretty much exclusively at home, it would *not* have worked in Disney. I understand your desire to use it completely, but I don't think you're going to find it as easy as you think. keep in mind if you're traveling on anything other than the boat or monorail, you will need to fold up the stroller. That's going to mean someone holding DD in her car seat. I don't know about anyone else, but i can only do that for a very short time before my arm is shot, and DD is a petite 8 month old! The snap and go fold is also much more awkward than the City Mini's.

What's the harm in going to a BRU and at least testing out the city mini to see if renting one down there would work for you? You may be surprised.

Another thing to know... if you go to Epcot the Land building doesn't allow strollers in it at all. so you would have to carry the baby the whole time your there or miss it all together. i"m not sure if there are other large buildings like that which do not allow strollers but if there are you may have problems just walking around between rides with your family.

In our experience last week, none of the pavilions allow you to bring strollers in. We had to park the stroller and carry DD into The Land, The Seas, Imagination...we were allowed to take her into Innoventions in her stroller, but we weren't allowed inside the THINK exhibit.

I can't believe the OP is getting so much grief on this board! My kids both fit in their bucket seats till around 8 months. I loved how simple it was to snap them straight from the car into the stroller and back into the car. I was never wore my babies. I think those who do seem to be very prejudiced against those who don't, much like nursing vs. bottle feeding. Those who like to strap their kid on like to feel superior to those who push their kid in a stroller, whether it be in a baby seat stroller alone. Those who wear feel they are "bonding" and those poor babies being pushed are all alone. That's nonsense, I have no less of a bond with my kids because I choose the easy way of loading them into a baby seat and snapping it in a stroller. I do agree that Disney will not allow the seat on rides, but I can see that if I had never been before and I had a baby still in one I would ask that question too. Once they are sleeping in there you don't want to take them out. That is the beauty of those seats, they can sleep during transitions, like moving from the mall to the car back to the house. You can't wear them home in the car in a wrap!

To the OP sorry your plan to bring them on the ride won't work and sorry so many here questioned your parenting.

nchulka said:
I can't believe the OP is getting so much grief on this board! My kids both fit in their bucket seats till around 8 months. I loved how simple it was to snap them straight from the car into the stroller and back into the car. I was never wore my babies. I think those who do seem to be very prejudiced against those who don't, much like nursing vs. bottle feeding. Those who like to strap their kid on like to feel superior to those who push their kid in a stroller, whether it be in a baby seat stroller alone. Those who wear feel they are "bonding" and those poor babies being pushed are all alone. That's nonsense, I have no less of a bond with my kids because I choose the easy way of loading them into a baby seat and snapping it in a stroller. I do agree that Disney will not allow the seat on rides, but I can see that if I had never been before and I had a baby still in one I would ask that question too. Once they are sleeping in there you don't want to take them out. That is the beauty of those seats, they can sleep during transitions, like moving from the mall to the car back to the house. You can't wear them home in the car in a wrap!

To the OP sorry your plan to bring them on the ride won't work and sorry so many here questioned your parenting.

I wasn't a baby wearer. I did have a bjorn I used at times but I never used the baby bucket for long period of times esp at that age. Babies want to see things and stretch how do they do that in a bucket? I used a five point harness stroller around 3 or 4 months. When you post questions on the internet you are not always going to get the answers you want or like.

Sorry, I'm strongly against keeping babies in their carseats for convenience. It's a carseat and belongs in a car. Babies crave to be held and close to their parents...it's where they feel safe, not in a hard cold car seat. You can't take the carseat on a ride. My suggestion....either carry your baby or invest in a carrier/wrap. Trust me....it's much easier than carrying around a carseat! With my 1st, I knew nothing of baby wearing but luckily discovered a sling when I had my 2nd. It truly makes life so much easier and it's better for the baby. :)

NOT my kid. We didn't use a carseat, but a seat desigend for the house that she could actualyl sit up and see in. She vastly preferred her seat to being held most of the time and was perfectly happy where she could sit indepenently as see all that was going on around her. She HATED being held unless she was sleepy or hungry. Not all kids have the sme presonality or needs. You simply cannot generalize.

You're projecting.

Mainstream medical associations have warned parents against using the car seat anywhere but the car. Because it's bad for them. Bad for their oxygenation, bad for their necks and backs, bad for the neurological development. It has nothing to do with 'parenting style'.

She's not talking about carrying a sleeping baby in from the car. Bucket seats are great for that and I've done the same with all four kids.

She's talking about using it as a stroller for hours at a time in the park.

Since baby wearing is not a possibility, I would definitely look for a good, baby-friendly stroller that faces the adult and is nice and high up so she doesn't hurt her back.

Mainstream medical associations have warned parents against using the car seat anywhere but the car. Because it's bad for them. Bad for their oxygenation, bad for their necks and backs, bad for the neurological development. It has nothing to do with 'parenting style'.

So if they are so bad for them, why are they OK in the car?? Why are we not changing the design of carseats to make them better if they are so horrible for a baby's development? It makes no sense that something could be perfectly ok for an 4 hour car ride but not ok for 4 hours outside the car. My baby had horrible reflux and the peditrician TOLD me to have her sleep in her carrier becuase it was SAFER and more comfortable for her than choking on her own vomit. She slept better and did not reflux nealy as much. It didn't do her any harm.

I tend to think they are not as "bad for babies" as some organzations like to argue and that it is more of an "I'm the perfect mommy becuase I do it this way" thing to go along with the current trend that total attachment to your kid 24/7 is the only way to raise a normal, well adjusted child. The bottom line is that you need to do what is best for YOUR kid and what works for YOUR family. For most things there is not one right answer that works for everyone in all situations, and in reality there are very few things a caring, loving parent with common sense can do that will really do lasting harm to an infant, but we guilt ourselves in to believing every tiny decision is going to scar our kids for life. It isn't.

cheer25mom said:
So if they are so bad for them, why are they OK in the car?? Why are we not changing the design of carseats to make them better if they are so horrible for a baby's development? It makes no sense that something could be perfectly ok for an 4 hour car ride but not ok for 4 hours outside the car. My baby had horrible reflux and the peditrician TOLD me to have her sleep in her carrier becuase it was SAFER and more comfortable for her than choking on her own vomit. She slept better and did not reflux nealy as much. It didn't do her any harm.

I tend to think they are not as "bad for babies" as some organzations like to argue and that it is more of an "I'm the perfect mommy becuase I do it this way" thing to go along with the current trend that total attachment to your kid 24/7 is the only way to raise a normal, well adjusted child. The bottom line is that you need to do what is best for YOUR kid and what works for YOUR family. For most things there is not one right answer that works for everyone in all situations, and in reality there are very few things a caring, loving parent with common sense can do that will really do lasting harm to an infant, but we guilt ourselves in to believing every tiny decision is going to scar our kids for life. It isn't.

Wow no one said anything about being a perfect mom except for you

cheer25mom said:

Btw they make sleep positioners and crib bumper pads too but the APA says not to use them. It is all about the money with the companies

The position of the carseat on the car is the best possible position to protect a baby in a crash. It is not the best position for lounging around the house.

OP has a special scenario. She can't wear the baby. She has found that the car seat on the stroller makes it easier for her. She got her answer, she can't take the car seat in rides.

I'm sure OP realizes at this point that the situation is not optimal. She either has to protect her back and sacrifice time on rides and be inconvenienced with rides, shows, restaurants, and Disney transportation (the stroller can't be folded with the carseat attached, so someone has to hold the carseat), or risk further damage to her back. Truly, the best option is to postpone the trip, but that may not be feasible.

they are okay in the car because the kid NEEDS to be in it. they don't NEED to be in it for hours and hours in the hot florida sun at Disney World. I seriously do not understand what the big deal is about getting a regular stroller that the kid can move around in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter