Indulging yourself...where the cost is worth it!

While costs vary on different things, I highly suggest everyone take some time to enjoy some of the non-park activities including, but not limited to:

Horseback riding
Sailing
Speed boats
Golf

There are many activities all around which we easily miss out on in our rush to visit the parks. But let's not forget that WDW is a full resort (one of many reasons for the cost associated with staying). While it is hard for some to imagine skipping the parks for a few hours, it can be highly rewarding AND relaxing to do just that!

Not a huge expense, but one I haven't seen mentioned yet, is Dine with an Imagineer at Hollywood Brown Derby. Well worth the price.
I am toying with doing this again come January.

This October I have planned a private Illuminations dessert party in the UK pavilion. For about four hundred dollars we will have an event guide, a cheese, meat and fruit platter, unlimited mickey ice cream novelties, Mickey shaped sugar cookies, chocolate dipped strawberries, butterscotch marshmallow squares, cotton candy, lemonade, milk and water, babycakes donuts and a Cinderella themed birthday cake. Really looking forward to it. Disney's catered events arranged the whole thing.

If you were to tell someone visiting WDW to do one thing that is considered expensive but definitely worth the cost, what would it be? In other words, if there was one thing you would say to "save and spend the money on, because it's worth it", what would that be?

Think of it as a once in a lifetime experience. For example, some would say to be sure to eat once at V&A's. What other WDW "luxuries" are worth the expense for that once in a lifetime indulgence???

Three basic things -

1. Stay on site

2. Tickets w/hoppers for full length of stay or AP (which ever is least $$'s)

3. Dine at a few (at least) themed Disney restaurants.

To me, this would be a 'once in a lifetime' vacation there!

Wanyama Safari, which also requires a stay at AKL, so throw club level into the splurge. We did this once nearly 10 years ago, and we still talk about when the baby giraffe approached the truck and nearly licked DD. And about how fantabulous dinner at Jiko was.

Illuminations fireworks cruise
Couldn't agree more! we did the DVC verson on our June trip (where you pay per head and travel with fellow DVC members that have booked that night) and it was just fantastic. A whole new perspective of the fireworks, and we got a close up of my favourite Electric Water Pageant. Couldn't recommend highly enough.

V&A is so worth the cost if you are a foodie. Next on my Disney indulgence list is the Wild Africa Trek :goodvibes. That always looks amazing.

Some of the events at Food and Wine are well worth doing too. I don't really want to do the Party for the Senses (vegetarian, I'd be stuck with nothing but the sweets) but we are doing the cheese event this October. 1030 in the morning, a breakfast of cheese and wine. what could go wrong?!!

It's funny, my first WDW indulgence was 2 nights on property after 12 nights offsite. the next trip was 2 weeks at the Wilderness Lodge, and now we're DVC members. Gateway drug, its a slippery slope from that first 'one off' :thumbsup2

I did the "perfectly pampered princess party" with Princess Aurora at the Grand Floridian with my daughter when she was 6, it was hugely expensive, but worth every second! An absolute one off splurge!

Not a Disney attraction, but for anyone visiting Disney for a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I would wholeheartedly recommend a day at Discovery Cove with the dolphin swim experience. Absolutely, positively the most awesome and amazing splurge in Central Florida. Worth every penny and then some.

I have been told that dinner at V&A's is SO worth it, but we haven't done it... yet...

Make a dinner reservation at California Grill and time it so you are there during Wishes. Magical viewing Wishes from the top of the Contemporary, with your sweetie and a glass of red wine!

Illuminations cruise. We've always just bought seats in someone else's boat, but next time I am going to try for a boat and then sell the seats to cover the cost. I LOVE Illuminations Cruises, and we haven't been able to get any seats for the past 5 or so trips.

NOT sure they are still doing this, but last October (2014) we stayed for the special after-hours tasting event at Epcot. We went to the tequila tasting in the Mexico pavilion. This starts AFTER park closing, so staying in the park is special in itself. There were about 25 people in attendance, in the tequila cave in Mexico. The host of the event was very knowledgable, and we were educated in the ways of tequila! The event was $35 per person, and it included 1 shot of vodka (to cleanse your palate), either 3 or 4 different tequila tastings, and an amuse bouche to go with each tequila taste. They also stayed open for a bit after the tasting, so you could order drinks and bar snacks (for an additional charge, of course). I thought the price for this event was reasonable, considering it's Disney, and we had an AMAZING time at the event!

Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian. It's just so darned elegant, and when else will you get to experience a high English tea (kind-of)? We found that if we had a substantial breakfast and planned tea for about 3:30pm, we didn't need dinner; a park snack held us through until the next morning.

Wanyama Safari, which also requires a stay at AKL, so throw club level into the splurge. We did this once nearly 10 years ago, and we still talk about when the baby giraffe approached the truck and nearly licked DD. And about how fantabulous dinner at Jiko was.

You don't have to stay on club level for this, we did it in May and were just staying in a regular room, you just have to be staying at AKL. Having said that, it is so worth it the money to do it at least once.

I second, or third, the tea at the Grand Floridian, I do it every trip so it's turned out not to be an indulgence for me but did start out as one.

Staying in a deluxe resort is worth it at least once, again, a must for me now. You have to be careful with these indulgences, they tend to grow into must dos.

Dooney bag, another indulgence turned into a must.

I try to do at least one tour of some sort every trip and at least one special meal during F&W.

Book a resort in the Epcot area. The benefit of being able to walk to 2 parks is massive and underrated. It's worth the cost.

This! This will be our third trip in a row staying at BW/YC/BC, and I cannot tell you how much it has positively changed our touring style. We plan our days now so that in the evenings we are at either DHS or Epcot, and the ability to stroll back to our room after Illuminations cannot be oversold!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter