• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In Our Daughter's Eyes - Emily's Wish Trip Dec.10-Jan.11 ALL DONE PICS ADDED p.16!

Checking in for an update...I hope all is well!:goodvibes

Working on an update now, hope to post tonight!

Thanks. That's her "If I have to leave Disney I am going to do it in style" look. We were on our way to DME bus.

At least with the kids sick you went with the flow. I give up planning in detail and just go with the flow. We know we want to be at rope drop and then decide to go from there. I do plan the sit down meals and everything after that is up to how we feel. I know we won't see it all. With knowing that comes peace.

Hahahahahaha! :lmao: I love it!

Well, I have most of our Day 4 report written up but when I went to add the pictures in I realized I hadn't upoaded the last few days worth of pics to PB yet!!

Might be another day or two for a complete update. I mean who wants an update with no pictures, right??

Please hang in there with me . . . :surfweb:

Thursday, December 30, 2010 – Day 4

Our original plans for this day were to head to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure to see Seuss Landing for the little ones, but more so to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for Drew. He is a HUGE fan (as are my husband and I)!!!

Unfortunately we suspected Drew had an ear infection because of the pain he was in the night before at DHS. We had given him some Tylenol before putting him to bed hoping that would at least ease the pain so he could sleep. But with Emily being sick already and now Drew, we thought we might need to take a day off to stay at the village and get the sickies to one of the Urgent care centers. :sick:

The GKTW staff had asked how we were doing many times as they saw us around the village and they had already asked us if we wanted to take Em to see a doctor. We decided not to take Em, since we already have a pretty standard protocol for her when she has a stomach bug and I knew they couldn’t really give her anything to make it go away. Drew, on the other hand, probably needed antibiotics. But, he knew that today was our WWoHP day and he woke up feeling ok. Emily had a good night too, no vomiting! And we knew that if we skipped US today, we’d need to go on Friday, which was New Year’s Eve. We were worried it would be much too crowded on Friday!

We figured we’d get some breakfast at the Gingerbread House (our first time eating there!), take our time and see how they felt after eating. We dressed up in our red/white Mickey and Minnie outfits (all washed and clean from Tuesday) for our photos with Mickey and Minnie in the theater. I definitely didn’t want to miss that!!

On our way, we stopped to see if Ol' Elmer was awake yet.
001-1.jpg

Nope. :laughing:
002-3.jpg

This morning we got some of the first real smiles from Emily since we arrived!! :cool1:
003-3.jpg

Looks like we had pancakes that day, and some apples.
004-1.jpg

We had a wonderful meet and greet with the mice and got some of the best photos of the trip. We even got some amazing smiles from Em! The GKTW photographer took pics for us and a nice volunteer took some of these with my camera too (the blurry ones!).

007-3.jpg

Mickey checking out Drew's shirt
008-3.jpg

Minnie checking out Brenna's dress
009-3.jpg

Trying to get 4 autograph books signed!
015-3.jpg

024-1.jpg

Brenna really loved Minnie
MickeyMinnie342.jpg

MickeyMinnie339.jpg

Getting some love from Mickey!
MickeyMinnie330.jpg

MickeyMinnie328.jpg

When we came out of the theater, we saw Belle waiting in the lobby! And, it happened to be the SAME Belle we met at Akershus the day before! She recognized us too!!! Brenna asked for a kiss and the boys followed right along!

032-2.jpg

033-2.jpg

034-2.jpg

035-2.jpg

036-2.jpg

That's a happy boy! :banana:
037-2.jpg

Continued in next post . . . .

Right outside the theater, Goofy and Pluto were also waiting for us! I love so many of these shots too!

040-2.jpg

047-2.jpg

050-1.jpg

059-1.jpg

063-1.jpg

After that, everyone still seemed ok, so we decided to go for it!!! We went back to the villa, changed and headed to US. We planned to keep it a short trip, focusing on seeing the shops in WWoHP for Drew, and a few things in Seuss Landing so we’d be back in time for the Christmas party at GKTW that night! So much to do!!!!!

We drove toward US and just as we reached the exit for parking we saw an awful sign. They had one of those flashing road signs stating US IOA is at capacity, but please enjoy US!!!! Ahhhhhhh!

My heart just broke for Drew. I knew we could have fun on the US side, Drew loves SpongeBob too, but his heart was set on seeing Harry Potter. We kept going, trying to decide what to do. We parked and made the long walk to the entrance of the park.

The cast members (do they call them that here too??) were holding up signs directing people to the Universal Studios entrance. There were people heading to a standby line for US IOA, but the line was long and wide. This was just to get into the park! We had no idea how many people they were going to let in at a time or how long it would take. We overheard another family asking a CM about the wait and she said they were letting large groups of people in every 15 minutes or so. I was ready to just let it go and head to a less crowded US, but my husband really wanted to wait so Drew could see HP. So we got in line.

I didn’t want to get separated while we were in such a wide line so I suggested we wait right along the ropes they had set up. After a few minutes, a CM came down the rope and handed out some Dr. Seuss stickers to the kids. While she was handing out the stickers to our little ones, she noticed Em’s GKTW button. She asked if we were on a Wish trip and immediately opened the ropes for us and let us go right ahead to the entrance! Wow!!!
We were so grateful. I had heard Universal was really good at giving wish kids front of line access for rides, but I really didn’t think it would get us in when the park was at capacity!

The first area we came upon was Seuss Landing.

075-1.jpg

Just as we were deciding how to get to the WWoHP area from there, Emily threw up again. Poor girl. I really thought she was done and feeling better after all the smiles in the morning. She wasn’t too upset after we changed her shirt and cleaned her up so we kept going.

We really didn’t even need to look at a map. EVERYONE was headed to WWoHP. So we followed the crowd. There were also CMs holding signs pointing out the way as well. And other CMs were directing people to take the path to US instead. Some people were talking about getting timed tickets to enter later. Seriously. I had read (on the DIS before we left) that there were lines to get into HP area, lines for each ride, and more lines for the stores! And that was exactly what we encountered.

Since our magic button had gotten us through the first line, DH figured maybe it would get us through the next one. So we passed the people waiting in the timed ticket line, and approached a CM at the bridge to Hogsmeade. DH showed him our pass and asked if we could go in. Again, we were let right in!

Hogwarts' Castle from afar
076-1.jpg

Crossing the bridge to enter Hogsmeade (you can see part of DH in the Eagle's shirt)
077-2.jpg

In Hogsmeade, the crowd was literally shoulder to shoulder. We decided we would get Drew to Ollivander’s wand shop to get his wand, maybe to the candy shop and get out of there! It was almost ridiculous trying to maneuver a double stroller and Em’s kidkart through the crazy crowds!

DH held on tight to Drew and we made our way to Ollivander’s.

078-1.jpg

We knew there would be a wait to get in but when we saw the line wrapped around several other stores, we thought it might not be possible with all the little ones. We asked the people at the front of the line how long they had been waiting and they said an hour. We decided to just do it. We really didn’t want Drew to leave without seeing the wand choosing “show”. The CM at the door to the shop said we’d have to leave the strollers up with him because they wouldn't fit through the que, or DH could wait in line with Drew and we could join them when they got to the front of the line. I asked if we’d be able to get Em’s wheelchair in the shop, since she couldn’t get out of it, and then he took a second glance at the GAC I had around my neck and asked if we were with GKTW. Yes!!!! He said, “Well then, you don’t have to wait in the que at all! Just wait here and we’ll get you in the next show!” :worship:

I could’ve cried right there. I almost did, but then I felt bad for the people at the front of the line who’d just told us they ‘d waited an hour!

Literally 2 minutes later, they let us in and ushered us to the right corner of the shop and everyone else filed in to the left. I knew we had already gotten so much special treatment but DH and I were just crossing our fingers that Drew would get picked by Ollivander to have his wand chosen out of the group. They dimmed the lights and Mr. Ollivander (who did an excellent portrayal by the way!) started scanning the crowd for someone right away. He came over to us and said he knew someone from this special family was looking for a wand!

Okay, the tears started coming now. He led Drew over to his desk and began the wand show. It was an unbelievable experience for Drew and for us too! We were so happy for him! He has been through so much too and really deserved this special moment! :banana:

The video is very dark and also hard to hear but I’ll post it anyway. You can probably hear me sniffing through it!

Drew at Ollivander's Wand Shop

We purchased Drew’s wand and headed back out into the crowded alley toward HoneyDuke’s Candy Shop. Again, there was a line just to get in! We saw that there was side door being guarded by a CM, so Dh thought he’d try to get in with the button again. I wanted to stay outside with Carter and Brenna to avoid a huge stroller in a tiny shop, so DH took Drew and Em and got on the side door. Magic again!

The nice CM that let them in the side entrance! :)
083.jpg

Brenna and Carter waiting with me
082-1.jpg

A cool rooftop and a stack of cauldrons
080-2.jpg

086-1.jpg

This is a view of the crowd that day!!! :scared1::scared1::scared1:
Check out the kid all the way to the left with the yellow sunglasses. He totally looks like the real Harry Potter!!!!!!
085-1.jpg

We decided to head out of WWoHP after that.
I couldn’t resist stopping for some frozen Butterbeer on our way out though. We did wait in line for those! It was so worth it.

091.jpg

092.jpg

A few quick pics before leaving
089.jpg

088.jpg

087.jpg

Continued . . . .

Beautiful pictures! I am so happy for you (and for Drew!) for all the pixie dust at IOA. That really saved the day. Sounds like a wonderful day, despite continuing sickies. Can't wait to continue reading.

Great update!! I love seeing all the smiles and magic! I would have lost my mind in a crowd like that, you are way braver than I am!

Love the character pics. Sounds like you had a good day despite the puke and crowds!

So happy Drew got picked for a wand :wizard:
Glad you got treated so well at US. I am worried about going there because I have no idea what it is like at all.

Still reading along...

So sorry your DHS experience wasn't the greatest. At least the kids got to see Lightning McQueen and Mater... and getting to see the Osbourne Lights on the way out too.

Love the character photos at GKTW!

You guys got some serious pixie dust in IOA!!!!!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes

I love the magic of your TR. I am so glad Drew got to experience Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure, the wand shop and butter beer:cool1:. I am sorry sickness is still looming but you all certainly have made the best of it!

I'm glad to see you didn't try to get into the candy store with the double. I don't think I have ever been in a smaller stor then that one. Silly to make it so little. Happy to hear that ya'll got to go to WWoHP. It's kinda of neat nad the frozen butterbear,hmmm so good. Love the pictures from the morning with Bell and company.

pixiedust:for drew....that was awesome.....I had tears in my eyes reading it. Sound like today is a much better day even with the puke....:rotfl:

I miss ONE day and you post the most amazing update, I am in tears...seriously! That is just amazing, I am so incredibly happy for your family! I was already crying just seeing the photos and then BOOM! Another serious HP fan here and the Magic for your family...simply AMAZING!!! :goodvibes

You already got your pot of gold; however, here is a little bit more!

Wow! What luck that you got the same Belle. :) Love the pics with the kisses.

I'm glad that Drew was able to enjoy the WWoHP. And how awesome that he got picked for the wand!! .

Beautiful pictures! I am so happy for you (and for Drew!) for all the pixie dust at IOA. That really saved the day. Sounds like a wonderful day, despite continuing sickies. Can't wait to continue reading.

I really can't even express how happy we were for him!! My hubby and I were both in tears during and after the wand show.

Great update!! I love seeing all the smiles and magic! I would have lost my mind in a crowd like that, you are way braver than I am!

It was really ridiculous, but we were on a mission! :cool1:

Love the character pics. Sounds like you had a good day despite the puke and crowds!

We really did have a good day, Drew's favorite of course!

So happy Drew got picked for a wand :wizard:
Glad you got treated so well at US. I am worried about going there because I have no idea what it is like at all.

Thanks, I think you'll like it! We were really hoping to get back there to use our 2nd day pass . . .

Still reading along...

So sorry your DHS experience wasn't the greatest. At least the kids got to see Lightning McQueen and Mater... and getting to see the Osbourne Lights on the way out too.

Love the character photos at GKTW!

You guys got some serious pixie dust in IOA!!!!!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes

Yeah, I do wish we had more time somehow to fit in more of DHS, but glad we at least got to see the "Cars Cars" for Carter-man!

Really, we got seriously pixi-dusted!!!!! :banana:

I love the magic of your TR. I am so glad Drew got to experience Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure, the wand shop and butter beer:cool1:. I am sorry sickness is still looming but you all certainly have made the best of it!

Thanks, it really made Drew's year!!! :wizard:

I'm glad to see you didn't try to get into the candy store with the double. I don't think I have ever been in a smaller stor then that one. Silly to make it so little. Happy to hear that ya'll got to go to WWoHP. It's kinda of neat nad the frozen butterbear,hmmm so good. Love the pictures from the morning with Bell and company.

I think they really underestimated how popular WWoHPwould be! I would've loved to have seen inside the store, but I agree it was better that we stayed out! :scared1:

pixiedust:for drew....that was awesome.....I had tears in my eyes reading it. Sound like today is a much better day even with the puke....:rotfl:

Aww, thanks!

I miss ONE day and you post the most amazing update, I am in tears...seriously! That is just amazing, I am so incredibly happy for your family! I was already crying just seeing the photos and then BOOM! Another serious HP fan here and the Magic for your family...simply AMAZING!!! :goodvibes

You already got your pot of gold; however, here is a little bit more!

Yay, I got a glittery picture thingy!!! :lmao:

Thanks, it was so beyond special. Soemthing he'll never forget for sure, and neither will we.

Wow! What luck that you got the same Belle. :) Love the pics with the kisses.

I'm glad that Drew was able to enjoy the WWoHP. And how awesome that he got picked for the wand!! .

Thanks Crissy, I thought that was really cool that Belle remembered us! Of course the kids didn't think anything of it, because why wouldn't it be the same Belle, right?? :rotfl2:

It'll probably be a few days before I can get to the next update. Emily started this week off with a bladder infection and then by Friday she had bronchitis with a fever on top of it! Poor kid.

She's doing ok today, but needs lots of rest and cuddles. :sick:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter