"I'm NOT a Princess, I'm Izzy!" - May '15 Land/Sea ~ Updated 6/4: Link to Disneyland TR!!!

Agree with the poster above... potty training is the worst! Thumbs-up to you for powering through all of the false alarms :thumbsup2 When our DS was training, we couldn't get him anywhere near a public restroom for the longest time as he was freaked out by the loudness of automatic hand dryers!

The strawberry macaroon looked super tasty -- I could go for one of those right about now :)

LOL the pics from 2014 are really cute. I love Izzy's expression in the Frozen picture. That's so cute that they held hands the entire time!

That's a funny potty story at the Disney Visa line. I think it must happen a lot though!

Your ice pop looked like a coke pop! What did it taste like? That macaroon and the gnocchi looks yummy!

glad it worked out and you were able to just get back in line ... always a tough call as you don't want to discourage them from wanting to go to the bathroom, but you also don't want to get out of line or have it be at a really inconvenient time.

Those are fun meet pictures - I love Pluto's (over)reaction!

That was nice of Dug to get the food ahead of time for everyone. I always love duck so that actually doesn't look too unappealing to me

The alcoholic ice pop seems like a cool idea but I think they are hard to execute. That macaroon does look good!

At the end of our hike, Izzy sat on her throne and confidently declared, “I don’t have pee or poopies!” :headache: Ugh. Of course. I think I gave her a little lecture on what “I want to go to potty!” means as we headed back to Innoventions. :sad2:
Oh no... I'm sorry this seemed to be a never ending theme. At least they let you back into the front of the line though!

Later on, Dug told me about the scary incident that he witnessed shortly after entering the park. :scared: He was crossing the bridge over to France and an older man tried to dart around a Photopass photographer (probably trying to get out of the way of a picture?) and the man tripped and fell smack on his face. :eek: Dug said there was blood and the man seemed dazed, but was getting lots of help very quickly. Scary incident. Dug thought he likely went to the hospital after that. As magical as Disney is, that was a reminder that real life still happens and isn’t always filled with pixie dust. I hope he was okay.
Yikes... definitely scary. But I guess if you're going to get hurt, Disney is a good place. They always seem so well prepared to respond to anything like this.

The ice pop was good, but it was too melty to really savor and enjoy. I ended up just trying to finish it before it ended up as a puddle. Once Izzy tired of the macaroon and decided to share, we sampled that. WOW, it was so good! :thumbsup2 I kind-of wished I had another one just for me. Very yummy!
I'm glad that you enjoyed your snacks. And that the macaroon kept Izzy distracted from your special grown ups treat.

What a cute meetup between Izzy and Aria! So glad they got to see Duffy again before his departure from the park.

Your latest update has me really dreading potty training. We have somewhat started with Rory but aren't really pushing it yet. I'm hoping by our May trip that he'll be completely trained and used to it. That is great that the CM let you back in the front of the line!

Those pictures with Minnie are so cute!

I'm glad that you were finally able to meet up with Dug and get some snacks. The gnocchi and macaron look so good!

Christopher Robin’s Room!

I love this place, it's the perfect place for meeting Pooh and Tigger!

PhotoPass_Visiting_Epcot_7366054684_zps04xji7d5.jpg

:rotfl2::rotfl: Why not?! It's 'free' essentially add as many as you want!

1.) Toward the left, check out the cool Duffy head handbag!

And is that a dude holding it?? Looks like the girl next to him has her own bag :confused3

2.) To the right, someone is emptying the trash! It just seems like something you rarely witness at WDW – seems like it’s handled magically or something.

:lmao:You're so right though!

So, I got to sit there and watch my toddler drink the DIS-recommended cold, refreshing, purple beverage.

:headache: Well at least you got the rest of it.

Well, turns out that DIS-ers are not strangers, but just friends waiting to happen and it worked out great!

Aw I love this and it's so true! :goodvibes

So precious!

Could they be any cuter in these pics?! What fun for them (and maybe easier for the parents too so they keep each other entertained??)

I'm amazed at how close you let them get. I would have had an anxiety attack!

“I want to go to potty! I want to go to POTTY!”

OH geez.:rolleyes1

He was very kind and said he would let us back in the front.

I've always wondered if CM's allow them to come back in line with situations like this. Glad it appears to happen!

I love how she's just cracking up!

Agh so cute.

He was crossing the bridge over to France and an older man tried to dart around a Photopass photographer (probably trying to get out of the way of a picture?) and the man tripped and fell smack on his face. :eek: Dug said there was blood and the man seemed dazed, but was getting lots of help very quickly.

Oh no, poor guy! :sad2: I would have felt awful if that happened while he was trying to get out of the way of our picture :scared: Hope there wasn't too much damage and he was able to get back to Disney ASAP!

the (alcoholic) ice pop

I really don't know why I haven't ever tried to make these at home during the Summer. I have popsicle molds. I have liquor and juice! :teacher: Next Summer when i'm not pregnant.:thumbsup2

The potty thing is so frustrating! We don't usually have false alarms but ours are more fits because they don't want to stop whatever they are doing to go. But it's great that the CMs (and the other family) were really understanding!

Yum, the macaroon and ice pop both look good!

That meet was insane - she was utterly terrified of A&E. :confused3

They were so cute together!

:sad2: Judgy looks are never fun. Especially when they are totally unwarranted!
::yes:: You can just feel the eyes on you. :sad2:

:rolleyes2 I've always made Little Miss go anyways when she has pulled this stunt. It nipped it pretty fast.
Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. :confused3 We tried, but I can't really do it for her.

:yay: for great CMs!
I was glad he was helpful!

:rolleyes:

:rotfl:

You should expect this by now.
Actually, you should be shocked if it doesn't happen!
Hey, it was still only the first full day of the trip - I don't know if I fully knew what I was in for just yet. :rotfl2:

Noooo.... Surely not.... :rolleyes2
They were probably all worried she was going to pee right there on the floor. :lmao:(Don't worry, that only happens, um, once this trip. :rolleyes1)

That's nice! I was thinking that you couldn't even ask someone to hold your spot since they'd be gone by the time you got back.
Yeah, I was just lucky the CM was nearby and I was able to ask him.

And the child continues to live?
Yes, despite "needing" to go potty a second time before bed tonight after having already gone successfully. The second time was not a success, but she sure is good at stalling bedtime. (Don't worry, this is a recent development that we are not going to let continue nightly).

"lecture"...

:rolleyes1
::yes::

This does not surprise me at all.
I certainly would be cool with it and would think most people would.

Or at least I hope so.
I would hope so, but you know Disney people and their crazy line antics.

:laughing: Looks like Goofy's squeezing the stuffing out of her!
They were cuddly.

Whoa. Not good.
But yes, even at Disney, stuff happens.
They can't cover everything in pixie dust.

Good choice. That would've been mine, as well.
I like that it captured a cute moment like that.

::sad::

So were you more angry or resigned by this point???
Definitely resigned. I'm not a particularly angry person, unless someone wrongs me in some major way. :scratchin

Duck? That looks like apple pie!
That would be better with me!

Mmmm.... macarons......
:thumbsup2

Ah. Alcohol. The child has a chance to survive now.

That toddler reunion was too sweet!
Thanks - I love seeing Izzy with little friends.

I think potty training is the worst. One of my daughter's had to check out every single public restroom. Wherever we went, she had to check out the facilities with her false alarms. It's one thing for it to happen while at home, but that had to get really old in WDW! Good thing she's cute!
Glad that others can relate! Yes, it got old at WDW (and the cruise) - there are just so many potties to visit (on the bright side, at least Disney tries to make some of its restrooms interesting/themed).

Super cute meet with Pluto and Minnie! Izzy's just a doll.
Thanks! It went pretty well.

Agree with the poster above... potty training is the worst! Thumbs-up to you for powering through all of the false alarms :thumbsup2 When our DS was training, we couldn't get him anywhere near a public restroom for the longest time as he was freaked out by the loudness of automatic hand dryers!
Interesting on the hand dryers. I've heard the automatic toilets freak out many kids, so I took the tip of bringing a small thing of post-its to cover the sensors, if need be. But none of that bothered Izzy, so I didn't need them. Though, the last few days, she's suddenly become scared of all sorts of random sounds (i.e. - the wind, the floor creaking, etc.), so those bathroom sounds might become an issue if she doesn't get over this recent sound fear stage.

The strawberry macaroon looked super tasty -- I could go for one of those right about now :)
Mmmm, I could go for one too. I was surprised by just how much I loved it. Very good!

LOL the pics from 2014 are really cute. I love Izzy's expression in the Frozen picture. That's so cute that they held hands the entire time!
Haha, yeah, she was just in hysterical tears at that A&E meet. I tried to make her laugh by holding her up (usually got her laughing), but nope. :rotfl:

That's a funny potty story at the Disney Visa line. I think it must happen a lot though!
It probably happens a lot more than I was ever aware of. Luckily, they handled it well.

Your ice pop looked like a coke pop! What did it taste like? That macaroon and the gnocchi looks yummy!
Um, my memory was that it tasted like frozen alcohol and melted really fast. :confused: Everything was good, though.

glad it worked out and you were able to just get back in line ... always a tough call as you don't want to discourage them from wanting to go to the bathroom, but you also don't want to get out of line or have it be at a really inconvenient time.
Yeah, that was the dilemma I had a lot on this trip. Since she was only fairly-newly potty trained, I didn't want to discourage her from going, but I was not sure where to draw that line between accident-prevention vs. excessive potty joyride trips. :rotfl:

Those are fun meet pictures - I love Pluto's (over)reaction!
Pluto was great - he was really into the interaction and I loved that he just fell over when he got her affection. :lovestruc

That was nice of Dug to get the food ahead of time for everyone. I always love duck so that actually doesn't look too unappealing to me
Well, that's good that it looks tasty to you. I'm not a duck person, so might just be me. I mean, if it looked more like a piece of chocolate cake or something, I might feel differently.

The alcoholic ice pop seems like a cool idea but I think they are hard to execute. That macaroon does look good!
Yes, hard to execute on a hot May day. Maybe better for F&W on a cooler evening. The macaroon was much better than I expected.

Oh no... I'm sorry this seemed to be a never ending theme. At least they let you back into the front of the line though!
I was so glad he said he'd let us back in. At that point, I had thought about going through with the meet and then using the restroom, but between the looks from bystanders and Izzy losing her mind, I didn't think the meet would go so well. Glad it worked out.

Yikes... definitely scary. But I guess if you're going to get hurt, Disney is a good place. They always seem so well prepared to respond to anything like this.
That's true. Sounds like they wasted no time getting this guy help.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your snacks. And that the macaroon kept Izzy distracted from your special grown ups treat.
They were good and more snacks to come! :thumbsup2

What a cute meetup between Izzy and Aria! So glad they got to see Duffy again before his departure from the park.
Yes, glad we got another meet in with Duffy! And Izzy and Aria were so cute together - it was like practice big-sister time for Aria. :goodvibes

Your latest update has me really dreading potty training. We have somewhat started with Rory but aren't really pushing it yet. I'm hoping by our May trip that he'll be completely trained and used to it. That is great that the CM let you back in the front of the line!
I think you'll be fine with the trip not until May. Izzy's much more reliable now, for the most part. We are still having issues with #2 in the potty (constipation/pain issues - which may have been part of our issues at WDW with her) - so that still gets us some false alarms, but she is finally getting the hang of it just recently. Plus, we know a bit more what to expect from her - it was too new at Disney for us to know her patterns well.

Those pictures with Minnie are so cute!
Thanks!

I'm glad that you were finally able to meet up with Dug and get some snacks. The gnocchi and macaron look so good!
They were!

I love this place, it's the perfect place for meeting Pooh and Tigger!
I was so glad I finally got to see it.

:rotfl2::rotfl: Why not?! It's 'free' essentially add as many as you want!
Exactly! I found so many fun things that I just had to use them all!

And is that a dude holding it?? Looks like the girl next to him has her own bag :confused3
Yep, I think so. Maybe men carrying around Duffy heads are big in Japan? :confused3 (forget the briefcase, bring your Duffy head bag! :lmao: )

:lmao:You're so right though!
I can't even think of another time in all these trips that I saw that.

:headache: Well at least you got the rest of it.
Yep, patience pays off. ::yes::

Aw I love this and it's so true! :goodvibes
Me too! :goodvibes

So precious!
It really was!

Could they be any cuter in these pics?! What fun for them (and maybe easier for the parents too so they keep each other entertained??)
Yeah, it helped that they had each other to hang onto (instead of Izzy clinging to me, for instance).

I'm amazed at how close you let them get. I would have had an anxiety attack!
I think most things were behind glass. Disney knows how many kids are there, they are not taking many chances.

:headache:

I've always wondered if CM's allow them to come back in line with situations like this. Glad it appears to happen!
I'm glad they let us. I have no idea what's "normal", though.

I love how she's just cracking up!
She had a lot of fun with them!

Agh so cute.
Thanks, I love how Photopass photographers capture those types of moments sometimes.

Oh no, poor guy! :sad2: I would have felt awful if that happened while he was trying to get out of the way of our picture :scared: Hope there wasn't too much damage and he was able to get back to Disney ASAP!
I know, I'm glad I wasn't there to see it. I feel so bad for him and hope it wasn't as serious as it looked initially.

I really don't know why I haven't ever tried to make these at home during the Summer. I have popsicle molds. I have liquor and juice! :teacher: Next Summer when i'm not pregnant.:thumbsup2
Add it to the to-do list. :thumbsup2

The potty thing is so frustrating! We don't usually have false alarms but ours are more fits because they don't want to stop whatever they are doing to go. But it's great that the CMs (and the other family) were really understanding!
Yeah, we have a lot of not-wanting-to-take-a-break-from-fun-thing-for-potty incidents here too. I'm glad things worked out okay.

Yum, the macaroon and ice pop both look good!
They were!

Omg! Your daughter looks like a little baby model. So adorable!
Aw, thanks! :flower3:

I’m Into Something Good

After finishing our tasty French treats, we moved on to the Botanas Botanico booth, which was a Venezuelan booth between France and Morocco. While Dug waited in line at the booth, Izzy and I snagged an open table:

We got the Cachapa con Queso (Venezuelan sweet yellow corn pancake topped with Farmer’s Cheese):

We also got the White Corn Arepa (with braised beef and chayote slaw):

Both were good. :thumbsup2 Izzy enjoyed some of her milk and snacks while we ate these. I really liked that pancake and could have gone for another. Izzy enjoyed the finger holes in the table too, I guess :rotfl::

We finished up and moved on. Walked by Spice Road Table – still need to eat there someday. We stopped at the Taste of Marrakesh booth and got a Pistachio Baklava:

Honestly, it was pretty unremarkable. I’m kind-of so-so on baklava as it is, but I thought the pistachio would make it more interesting – not really. :sad2: I let Dug eat most of it.

Izzy enjoyed watching the Disney Ducks in action under the standing tables:

I’m sure they enjoy the Outdoor Kitchens just as much as the paying guests. :rotfl:

Our next stop was the Japanese booth:

We actually ordered all three food items, plus a Strawberry Nigori to drink. You can probably tell which is which:

I thought Izzy would enjoy the frushi, but she had very little of it. I enjoyed it, though. Dug enjoyed his real sushi and only got a taste of my frushi (and wanted more). We both enjoyed the steamed bun and the drink. It was rather windy out and I had to work to keep things from blowing off the table. Izzy was being a bit of a pain and Dug drew the short straw to take her on another potty visit. :headache: I took a few moments to just enjoy being by myself in Epcot:

I think Izzy had already been demanding that I carry her a lot (as she does most trips), so I relished the “me time.” But then I had to go meet them, drink still in hand:

Dug had taken Izzy to the restrooms by the American pavilion, as our next stop was the Smokehouse booth. On the way over, I realized that a concert was about to start – Herman’s Hermits! Dug had wanted to catch some of this when we made our plans, but then we both had forgotten all about it. What great timing! :cool1:

I met Dug outside the restrooms and I think we had to trade off, with me taking Izzy back in. :faint: I’m guessing she didn’t go with him and did go with me. Who knows? :confused3 While we did that, Dug got in line here:

When we got out of the restroom, Izzy and I went to a CM to confirm that Dug could bring food/drink into the concert venue. Yes, he could! :thumbsup2 Yay! So, we went to find a seat (and save room for Dug), since the concert was just about to start. Not great seats, but not bad for last-minute:

Dug ended up missing the beginning of the show, as the line was rather long for the food booth. I felt bad, since he was the one who really wanted to see it. However, Izzy and I ended up having some really nice moments. First off, I realized that I actually recognized a lot of the songs :hyper: (honestly, I had no idea what they sang until they started singing). And I liked the songs! But, more importantly, so did Izzy! :woohoo: She had been getting pretty grumpy by this point in the day, but was suddenly so happy and having a great time:

This time was one of my unexpected highlights of the trip. I walked into the concert not knowing that I’d enjoy it and worried that Izzy would be a pain to wrangle, especially since she was being a grump just prior. But, instead, it turned out to be just a sweet, carefree, fun memory. Singing along and just enjoying each other’s company (but keeping an eye out for Dug, as you’ll see me repeatedly checking for him in the video, hoping he can spot us). I have a couple videos where you can get a sense of the atmosphere:

(click to watch Izzy being silly)

(click to watch a duet)

I apologize in advance (or after the fact, haha) for my singing. Also, my in-laws both had careers as French teachers, Dug’s whole family can speak French, and I took 4 years of German in high school – so, Izzy knows more French than me – hence me getting really excited about the lyrics, “Don’t know much about the French I took”. Nothing like going to a French restaurant with his family while they all chat away with the waiter in French and I just point at the menu silently. :o

Anyway, Dug arrived and had the Bacon Stout and the Burnt Ends Hash:

It was pretty tasty.

Izzy enjoyed the concert fully:

Herman’s Hermits also got into the crowd and really put on a fun show:

There was also a massive sing-along of Henry the VIII, which was really fun.

As we were exiting the theater after the show, my phone decided to alert me to my Fitbit progress, as it sometimes does. However, this one cracked me up :lmao::

Um, what?! :confused3 The “daily goal” is the default 10k steps. And, yes, I know this is Epcot and a lot of walking is involved, but there is no way that I walked 43k steps that day! :faint: I have no idea why it sent me that notification, as the final total for the day ended up around 27k, looking back now at the records. That’s the only time I’ve ever had that happen, so I think Fitbit was maybe just making an Epcot walk-till-you-drop joke. :lmao:

We tried to get some pictures in front of the fountain afterwards, but of course the smiling one is blurry and the not-as-blurry one isn’t the smiling one, so here’s both:

We also have a lovely and blurry picture of my favorite Disney dogs, in topiary form:

Our last food booth of the night was Italy. We got the Fior di Latte, Prosciutto e Pane di Casa (Pinwheel of Mozzarella, Prosciutto, Olio Toscano, Ciabatta Bread):

We also got the Limoncello Panna Cotta (Lemon Custard, Limoncello Liqueur, and Raspberries):

To drink, we shared a Rossini (Sparkling Wine & Marinated Strawberries):

This was all good, but rather unmemorable:

The cool thing was that we could see some of Illuminations from our spot:

Izzy enjoyed the show:

Up next: Dug’s solo Epcot night and a surprise view from our balcony.

I’m sure they enjoy the Outdoor Kitchens just as much as the paying guests. :rotfl:

I took a few moments to just enjoy being by myself in Epcot:
Just a few moments? You didn't run and hide from them?

Dug had taken Izzy to the restrooms by the American pavilion, as our next stop was the Smokehouse booth. On the way over, I realized that a concert was about to start – Herman’s Hermits! Dug had wanted to catch some of this when we made our plans, but then we both had forgotten all about it. What great timing! :cool1:
Oh cool! I love it when things just happen to come together like this.

I met Dug outside the restrooms and I think we had to trade off, with me taking Izzy back in. :faint: I’m guessing she didn’t go with him and did go with me. Who knows?
Make up your mind, Izzy!

Yay! So, we went to find a seat (and save room for Dug), since the concert was just about to start. Not great seats, but not bad for last-minute:
Not bad at all... sitting, listening to music, eating... I could go for that about any time.

First off, I realized that I actually recognized a lot of the songs :hyper: (honestly, I had no idea what they sang until they started singing). And I liked the songs! But, more importantly, so did Izzy! :woohoo: She had been getting pretty grumpy by this point in the day, but was suddenly so happy and having a great time:
I'm glad that the concert ended up being a hit. I would have really enjoyed seeing this concert too.

As we were exiting the theater after the show, my phone decided to alert me to my Fitbit progress, as it sometimes does. However, this one cracked me up :lmao::
Overachiever! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Um, what?! :confused3 The “daily goal” is the default 10k steps. And, yes, I know this is Epcot and a lot of walking is involved, but there is no way that I walked 43k steps that day! :faint: I have no idea why it sent me that notification, as the final total for the day ended up around 27k, looking back now at the records. That’s the only time I’ve ever had that happen, so I think Fitbit was maybe just making an Epcot walk-till-you-drop joke. :lmao:
Who actually understands how technology works sometimes? :confused3

Nice! Food and fireworks. Nice end to the evening. At least for some of you.

Botanas Botanico booth, which was a Venezuelan booth between France and Morocco.
... ah, so I guess we aren't going for geographic accuracy ;) Actually makes me wonder if Disney Kids have trouble when they get to geography in school.

I have to say, we've gotten the Baklavai during F&WF festival and it hasn't been very memorable either - and we are generally fans of that treat

All your food from the Hanami stand looks really good!

I am sure this happens elsewhere, but definitely seems like nearly all Disney trips always have that moment during them that was totally unplanned but turns out to be one of the best memories of the trip. I am glad you had that positive time with Izzy just listening to the music. Too bad Dug missed the beginning but I hope he got to see most of it and enjoyed himself. Plus, burnt ends are always worth a little sacrifice ;)

That is great you got a little bonus view of Illuminations while you ate your Italian snacks, even if they weren't remarkable.

Sounds like an overall nice evening of grazing at EPCOT!

They were probably all worried she was going to pee right there on the floor. :lmao:(Don't worry, that only happens, um, once this trip. :rolleyes1)

Uh, oh.
Wait... after all those false alarms... :lmao:

Yes, despite "needing" to go potty a second time before bed tonight after having already gone successfully. The second time was not a success, but she sure is good at stalling bedtime. (Don't worry, this is a recent development that we are not going to let continue nightly).

Ah yes. I am quite familiar with the bedtime stalling routine.

But sometimes I'm just not tired!

I would hope so, but you know Disney people and their crazy line antics.

I will have more to say on this in one of my later chapters.

After finishing our tasty French treats, we moved on to the Botanas Botanico booth

Uh... what?

which was a Venezuelan booth between France and Morocco.

Ah! Cool!

Izzy enjoyed the finger holes in the table too, I guess :rotfl:

:laughing: Who needs electronic toys?

Walked by Spice Road Table – still need to eat there someday.

Ditto.

got a Pistachio Baklava:

Honestly, it was pretty unremarkable. I’m kind-of so-so on baklava as it is, but I thought the pistachio would make it more interesting – not really.

Dang. Too bad. It sounded good on paper.

:laughing:

I thought Izzy would enjoy the frushi, but she had very little of it.

That does look good.

I took a few moments to just enjoy being by myself in Epcot:

Say it with me now. Ready? "Aaaaaahhhhh..."

Dug ended up missing the beginning of the show, as the line was rather long for the food booth. I felt bad, since he was the one who really wanted to see it.

But not that bad since you were relaxing and not standing in line.

Cute pic of the two of you! :)

I apologize in advance (or after the fact, haha) for my singing.

Your singing was fine! And cute video too! That's a keeper.

Nothing like going to a French restaurant with his family while they all chat away with the waiter in French and I just point at the menu silently. :o

My DW has the same issues when my side get together.

There was also a massive sing-along of Henry the VIII, which was really fun.

:laughing:

:lmao: I knew you walked a lot in Epcot, but really!

To drink, we shared a Rossini (Sparkling Wine & Marinated Strawberries):

Yummy.

Nice!

Disney birds sure don't starve.

Just a few moments? You didn't run and hide from them?
Surprisingly, no. But I did savor that few moments.

Oh cool! I love it when things just happen to come together like this.
Worked out perfect.

Make up your mind, Izzy!

Not bad at all... sitting, listening to music, eating... I could go for that about any time.
It was great!

I'm glad that the concert ended up being a hit. I would have really enjoyed seeing this concert too.
I'm really glad we came across it at the right time.

Overachiever! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Who actually understands how technology works sometimes? :confused3
:confused3

Nice! Food and fireworks. Nice end to the evening. At least for some of you.
It was!

... ah, so I guess we aren't going for geographic accuracy ;) Actually makes me wonder if Disney Kids have trouble when they get to geography in school.
Quite possibly. :scratchin

I have to say, we've gotten the Baklavai during F&WF festival and it hasn't been very memorable either - and we are generally fans of that treat

All your food from the Hanami stand looks really good!
Yeah, the baklava was just average. The Hanami stuff was good and unique, though.

I am sure this happens elsewhere, but definitely seems like nearly all Disney trips always have that moment during them that was totally unplanned but turns out to be one of the best memories of the trip. I am glad you had that positive time with Izzy just listening to the music. Too bad Dug missed the beginning but I hope he got to see most of it and enjoyed himself. Plus, burnt ends are always worth a little sacrifice ;)
It was a really nice part of the trip, for sure.

That is great you got a little bonus view of Illuminations while you ate your Italian snacks, even if they weren't remarkable.
Always a treat to catch some fireworks.

Sounds like an overall nice evening of grazing at EPCOT!
It was!

I love all the grazing you did in Epcot and your daughter is adorable
Thank you! :goodvibes

Uh, oh.
Wait... after all those false alarms... :lmao:
I know, right? ::yes::

Ah yes. I am quite familiar with the bedtime stalling routine.

But sometimes I'm just not tired!

I will have more to say on this in one of my later chapters.
Sounds interesting!

Uh... what?
Ah! Cool!
It was!

:laughing: Who needs electronic toys?
Not her!

Someday!

Dang. Too bad. It sounded good on paper.
It really did.

That does look good.
It was pretty tasty.

Say it with me now. Ready? "Aaaaaahhhhh..."
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh......

But not that bad since you were relaxing and not standing in line.
That is true.

Cute pic of the two of you! :)
Thanks!

Your singing was fine! And cute video too! That's a keeper.
Thanks again!

My DW has the same issues when my side get together.
Glad I'm not alone.

Pretty fun!

:lmao: I knew you walked a lot in Epcot, but really!
I know! :faint:

It was.

Disneyland Pre-Trip Report

Hope nobody minds me just throwing a one post Disneyland pre-trip report into the mix here. Don't think it warrants its own thread. But please toss in any feedback you have!

General Travel Plans

Dug has a company retreat in Palm Springs that ends on Friday, February 5th (done that morning). His company pays the airfare and is fine with him delaying his flight home (and leaving from a different airport) to go to Disneyland. We had enough credit card points to get two free flights, which will get Izzy and I to and from CA with one free checked bag each, a $25 in-flight credit each (free snacks!), and free in-flight wifi. Not bad at all. Total air travel costs = $0.

We chose to stay until Wednesday, February 10th for two reasons. One, it gave us better flight options than other days. Two, because we don’t want Dug to be away from work for TOO long – keep in mind we are in Hawaii for 9 nights in January, he comes back for less than two weeks, then goes to this retreat, then Disneyland. So, he’s gotta get some work in during the first two months of 2016. And everyone says you don’t need that much time to do everything in Disneyland – heck, we can’t even buy more than 5-day park-hoppers – so, Feb. 5-10th it is!

The logistics of getting us together were a bit tricky, but this is how it sits for now: Dug will get a ride to the Palm Springs airport on Friday morning and pick up a rental car (about $80 for the day, maybe less if we get a better deal). He will drive up to Orange County to pick up Izzy and I at John Wayne Airport – our flight arrives around 11:30am. We’ll drive to our hotel, drop off our bags, then head to Downtown Disney for lunch. We’re renting through Alamo and they have a location at Downtown Disney where we can drop off the car. Originally, I had a car booked the whole week, but it’s cheaper to do it this way and we won’t need a car during our stay. So, after dropping the car off, we’ll go to lunch. With any luck, I will have a birthday certificate from Earl of Sandwich (my birthday is later that month) and we’ll enjoy a quick and tasty meal. Then we’ll head to Disneyland!

Our way home will be kind-of the reverse. Wednesday morning, I’ll walk over to Downtown Disney and pick up a car (same thing, Alamo, about $80). I’ll drive back to the hotel, pick up Dug, Izzy, and our luggage, then we’ll go to our character breakfast at the Paradise Pier hotel. After breakfast, we’ll head back to John Wayne Airport to catch our 12:45-ish flight. We’ll be home by about dinnertime.

Hotel

For a long time, we’ve had the Howard Johnson’s Anaheim booked, as it gets great reviews. Reasonable walking distance, free parking, nice rooms, water playground, etc. But I saw a DIS thread recently where a few people mentioned that the Best Western Park Place Inn was their favorite place to stay because it is SO close to the parks (and a decent place to stay). I looked into it and I really like the proximity (it’s the one right with the white dot across from Disneyland vs. the HoJo up the street):

Price ends up being a little bit less than the HoJo too (would be exactly the same if we added parking, though, as they charge for it). Actually, I think we can get another $20 off with our Best Western points from our 2014 NYC trip too! Another small plus is that these rooms are “mini-suites” vs. a standard room at HoJo. Granted, it’s not a big difference, but there is a small wall to separate the sitting area and that could be where we set Izzy up to sleep. An additional bonus is free breakfast for those mornings that we don’t have one booked. No need to bring our egg cooker.

The big plus is being just across the street from the parks, though. I can see that helping us make the most of the time we do have – arriving early/on time and having a quick walk back after. Even running back to the room during the day, if needed. Will certainly help Dug walk less if his back is hurting. There is still a pool and hot tub, if not the whole big water playground, and that should suffice – we always seem to have grand plans of swimming on Disney trips that don’t really pan out – and, besides, we’ll have been at Aulani only weeks before this.

So, I think this hotel will be a good fit for us.

The Parks

I found a handy thread that listed the special events and such on each day in 2016. Thanks to that, I realized that our trip encompasses the Superbowl, Lunar New Year, and Mardi Gras. Who knew? Guess I need to pay more attention. Our dates also come with crowd calendar numbers ranging from 3 to 10. The weekend is the worst. Our last day, Tuesday, is the best with both parks at a 3. We will use our one early entry (Magic Morning) at Disneyland that day. We will all have 5-day park-hopper tickets (ugh, even have to buy one for Izzy now!)

I am a bit worried about the ride refurbishment situation. I knew about some and was okay with them: the train will be down, Fantasmic will be down, Tom Sawyer Island closed, Riverboat & other boats down – that is all fine. We are bummed that the Aladdin musical ends a few weeks before our trip, but we’ll manage. However, Touring Plans is showing some things I didn’t know about. Autopia will be down, but I can deal with that. Jungle Cruise is showing as down from 1/11-4/2. We’d like to ride it, but at least it’s not a lot different that WDW (I don’t think?) But the ones we are really worried about are the Haunted Mansion (1/11-4/2) and Soarin’ (1/4-6/2). None of these dates seem to be corroborated elsewhere or official from Disneyland, so I’m hoping for the best. Not sure what the deal is with Soarin’ – Disneyland shows it reopens on 1/23, I believe. Again, we’d like to ride, but not a deal-breaker. Haunted Mansion is a biggie, though. We have never ridden the Disneyland version, as it was closed on our trip 10 years ago too. My understanding is that this is when it closes down to remove the holiday overlay (same with Jungle Cruise), but it normally doesn’t take more than a couple weeks. If that is the case, we should be fine, but not sure why it is showing the April date? Also, hoping that Small World will be open for that same reason (removing holiday overlay). So, keep your fingers crossed on those ones.

Dining and Daily Plans

So, this is where it feels very different to be planning a Disneyland trip vs. a WDW trip. One, I’m not very familiar with my dining choices, so I had to read up and take lots of notes to decide what we want to try. Two, there are no FP+ reservations to make and it’s easy to park-hop, so I pretty much planned our days around dining (and some events) and we’ll fit in our attractions around that. I hope, at least. I will still need to figure out some attraction strategies, I’m sure, but 4.5 days of park time should help us get our must-dos accomplished with minimal stress. Again, I hope.

So, here is the rough dining-based daily plan:

Friday, 2/5: Arrive Downtown Disney around lunchtime, drop off rental car, head to Earl of Sandwich. Can’t go wrong there. We could potentially be swayed by a birthday coupon to the Uva Bar and Café (not sure if I’ll get one in time), but my guess is that we’ll want to dine quick and get to Disneyland anyway. So, we’ll see what our options are and what we are in the mood for that day. After lunch, we’ll hit Disneyland. I’ll have to figure out what is best to do when arriving mid-afternoon. The DL crowd level is 3 (CA is 6) and the park is open until midnight. I’m thinking we’ll want to grab some Fast Passes for something – whatever would still be available. Our dinner reservation is at Café Orleans for 5:40pm. I’m thinking Monte Cristo, fries, beignets. Mmmmm. If we happen to still be hungry later that night, I have notes that we can have a Dole Whip at the Tiki Room and/or pick up a Tigger Tail at Pooh Corner. I think we are going to skip the nighttime entertainment (parade, fireworks, etc.) this night and do that on Monday. But we could change our minds. I actually have a “backup” Aladdin’s To-Go Paint the Night package dinner reserved this night…just in case. I need to find out more about the packages before finalizing those decisions. I’m not sure how late we’ll stay in the park. Izzy and I will probably be tired, as we’ll still be on MN time. One of us might stay late to enjoy the park while the other heads back to the hotel with Izzy. We’ll probably play that by ear.

Saturday, 2/6: Well, this day is a bit intimidating. Disneyland is a crowd level 9 and California Adventure is a 10 – so why not go there? It’s a Magic Morning at DL, but we plan to use ours on Tuesday, so we’ll start in CA. Well, actually, we’ll start at the Grand Californian – part of my plan to combat the crowd levels is to have lots of dining plans in place – some out of the parks. So, we start with a 7am character breakfast at the Storyteller’s Café at the GCH. It’s early, but I think that will be good with me and Izzy, as we’ll still be on MN time, most likely. Might be harder for Dug, since he will be adjusted to CA time. Based on past trips, Chip and Dale really get Izzy into the Disney spirit, so I’m hoping this will be a good way to start our day. Plus, Dug and I have really been looking forward to seeing this hotel. We probably don’t want to drag our breakfast on for too long, though, as we have CA opening at 8am and don’t want to miss too much park time. I don’t think we need to be there right at rope drop, though, as we should be able to pick up FP for RSR for later or do single rider (or both). Poor Izzy will be too short for this, barring any impressive growth spurts in the next 1.5 months (she’s around 37 inches). I think this will break her heart, as she would LOVE to ride this – we just watched Cars 2 today, actually, at her request. We might have to stealthily sneak away to take our turns riding, not sure. Not sure what all we’ll do this morning. Will need to figure that out. Lunch is at 12:40pm at Ariel’s Grotto. I think Izzy will enjoy seeing the princesses and the food should be pretty good. Plus, it gets us out of the crowds for a while. Again, not sure what we’ll do for the afternoon – more rides, I guess. I think our dinner plan is a bit non-traditional, but hope it will be okay. Dug is interested in Napa Rose. I don’t want to pay that $$$ and bring a 3-year-old. So, instead, I wrote in the Napa Rose Bar/Lounge. Dug can still get yummy food, I can get this $15 hot chocolate I’ve heard about, and we can get away from the busy parks for a bit. Those who have been there – will this work? Is the lounge toddler-friendly enough? Not sure what we’ll do after that. Depends if we’re burned out on the parks that day, I guess. CA closes at 10pm and DL at midnight. Again, maybe one of us will stay late.

Sunday, 2/7: Another crazy crowd day – 8 for DL and 10 for CA. Oh, and it’s Superbowl Sunday. We are okay missing it. I thought it might be a slow-park-crowd time, but things I’ve read indicate that’s not the case. Probably going to be packed. Since CA has a Magic Morning, we’ll plan on DL this day (though could park-hop). We’ll take advantage of the free breakfast at our hotel this morning. DL opens at 8am. Again, not sure what our attraction strategy is – probably gather some FP and hit what we need to do early in the day. I read that we can take the monorail from Tomorrowland over to the Disneyland Hotel for a break…at Trader Sam’s! I think our plan will be to sit on the patio and take turns going inside to use the restroom and check out the special effects. I think we’ll plan to have lunch here and enjoy some drinks. I should mention – I’m not sure if Izzy will nap or not. She has “naptime” daily, but only sleeps maybe every other day. So, we’ll have her stroller and if she naps in it, she naps. But no plans to head back to our room midday, unless it somehow seems necessary. So, maybe in a perfect world, she would be napping in the stroller while we relax with our drinks. Probably not, though. I also may have reserved a second “backup” Aladdin’s Paint the Night Package for lunch this day too. Just in case. So, again, Superbowl Sunday this day. We’ll see how the rest of our day goes, back in Disneyland. Plan is to have dinner at the Plaza Inn (I know Dug will enjoy the fried chicken). I guess this is just a walk-up, right? Once again, park is open until midnight. Maybe one of us will have a late night out.

Monday, 2/8: Apparently, this is the Lunar New Year. I guess they do some extra things to celebrate at California Adventure: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/lunar-new-year/. I think we will be hopping back and forth between the parks today. DL is a crowd 5 and CA is 9. CA has Early Entry at 8am, which we are not eligible for. Both parks open at 9am and CA closes at 8pm and DL 9pm. Breakfast will again be at the hotel. Lunch and dinner are interchangeable, depending on what we decide about the Paint the Night packages. If we choose not to do the package with Blue Bayou, we’ll have an 11:30am lunch at Blue Bayou, getting there early and securing a waterside table. BB is a must-do dining experience for us. If we choose the package, we’ll have a 4:10pm dinner at BB instead. Our alternate meal (lunch or dinner – whichever we are not at BB) is a quick-service compilation. I think we will want to try some things at Bengal BBQ (bacon-wrapped asparagus skewers, etc.) and Izzy will surely want a corn dog (either Little Red Wagon in DL or Corn Dog Castle in CA). I’m guessing Dug would also enjoy some popcorn from the Cozy Cone. So, this “meal” is a chance to try some of those things we’re heard are good. Whether we do the package or not, tonight is our chance to see the parade and fireworks at DL.

Tuesday, 2/9: We’ll probably have the hotel breakfast again, as we have a late brunch scheduled and will need something to tide us over. We have our 9am Magic Morning at Disneyland planned today, so we’ll need to be there in time to take advantage of that. Both parks are a crowd level 3 today. Most likely, we’ll be hitting up the Fantasyland rides that we haven’t done yet or want to do again. Around 10am, I’ll run over to CA to grab blue FP for World of Color (unless we change our minds and do the dinner package). Then, back in DL, we have a 10:30am reservation with Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn. Should be a fun parade of characters. Today is Mardi Gras, so we will probably have to stop by New Orleans Square to check out any special festivities. We’ll stick around DL through lunch so that we can check out the Star Wars themed Galactic Grill at Tomorrowland Terrace. Sometime this afternoon, we’ll hop over to CA. I’d like to see the Carsland lights turn on, if possible. I penciled in Flo’s V8 Café for dinner – this isn’t a must-do, but seemed like an acceptable option. This is the night we plan to see World of Color. I read a thread on the DIS that indicated the blue FP area on the bridge does not fill up until shortly before the show and has a very good view. I am hoping that is the case, as having Dug stand for an hour+ while waiting is not a good idea for his poor back. Both parks close at 8pm this day. I suppose, if we are still full of energy, we could return to Downtown Disney for a bit.

Wednesday, 2/10: Well, this day the crowd levels are 2 & 3, but we won’t have tickets, since it’s our departure day. I’ll run over to Downtown Disney this morning to pick up our rental car. Stop back to the hotel to get Dug and Izzy and we’ll drive over to the Paradise Pier Hotel for the Surf’s Up brunch at 8:30am. One last chance to enjoy some Mickey waffles and hug some characters. Plus, we’ll get to see the other Disney resort. After breakfast, we head to the airport and go home.

Costs/Savings: Thanks to a DIS thread, I managed to get in on the $69.95 Photopass+ pre-order before they got rid of it (now it’s in-park only and $30 more). So, that’s squared away. I got a new credit card from our credit union that gets me 3% cash back for the first few months, so I will use that for the hotel (and pay it right off), getting us under $850 for our 5 nights of lodging. Rental car will go on that card too. Our other expenses will be 5-day park-hoppers and our dining. Since those are through Disney, I’ll be using Disney Gift Cards purchased at a discount through Target and other deals – should be around a 15% savings there. And, again, flights are free. Overall, this will be about a $2700 trip, with any luck (well, actually less, as some of the Disney Gift Cards were free through Shopkick, Disney Movie Rewards, etc).

So, those who have been to Disneyland and are more familiar – toss your tips this way!

And to thank you for reading all the way through, enjoy a picture of Izzy's picture with Santa :santa::

That's great that you are getting to DL without having to pay for any of the flights! You are so much better about using credit card rewards than I am - I just use the Disney Visa and then that gives us our spending money for when at Disney

Overall your plans sound good - I was surprised how quickly my kids adapted to the time change ... I was thinking they would be up at like 5am every morning but didn't really happen.

Definitely try to get accomplished key things early in the day and hit up different areas. Best example from our trip is that during the bulk of the day both Pirates and Haunted Mansion carried ~60 minute waits. But one morning we went over there first thing (not during Magical Mornings, just right after the park's regular opening time) and rode HM twice in a row with basically no wait and then Pirates with only a ~5 min wait

Peter was too short to ride RSR - he wasn't that upset as there was enough "Cars" things for him - we made sure he got on Mater's ride and he got to meet Lightening McQueen and just see the other cars around. We did eat at Flo's once and thought it was all pretty good and the food was a little different too - French Dip, Roast Beef and Cheddar, etc.

Oh, the Bengal BBQ was really, really good! Only issue is not a lot of seating so we stood at a counter and then Judi and I took turns using FP for Indiana Jones which is right across from it

As mentioned Blue Bayou was a dining highlight for us - no matter what time you get, even if the first 11:30 seating, check in early and request the waterside table. Made such a difference and Olivia loved waving to the people floating by on Pirates. Oh, and they come by often filling up the Mint Julep and Louisiana Lemonade so we got our fill of that!

I think you made the right call for switching hotels. It isn't that much further, but after a long day at the parks - and especially for someone with a bad back, those extra 5 minutes or so add up. Especially since you were comparing standard rooms I think it makes a ton of sense/

Love Izzy's pictures with Santa - her hair is getting so long!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter