"I'm NOT a Princess, I'm Izzy!" - May '15 Land/Sea ~ Updated 6/4: Link to Disneyland TR!!!

Yay for Disneyland!!! You will not be disappointed with BW Park Place. We just stayed there in November during Avengers Half Marathon. It was SO close. I have stayed at the HoJo and it is walking distance, but on the edge of what I would consider walking distance. We were there that same weekend last year. We planned the trip as close to my daughter's 2/15 birthday. It worked out well, but I guess CA schools have that Monday off which we were not at all anticipating. I didn't check crowd calendars.... I probably should have!

You can gt a ton done in the morning so that is a good plan. We were pleasantly surprised at Flo's last year. Also- at the Cozy Cone's, Red's Apple Freeze is amazing. In Nov they were out of it when we went. :sad:

It's sounds like you had a very successful day despite Izze not taking her nap. DL plans sound so fun, you'll have a blast.

The DLR hotels are really expensive, especially when there are very viable, closer, and reasonably priced ones right there. I would love to stay at one of them, but I just can't justify the cost yet. I guess you get early entry with their hotels, but it still wasn't as big of a bonus as it is at WDW, I think. The SW stuff should be cool. I am looking forward to seeing it WDW in March. It won't be as cool as SWW was, but I am sure you will still enjoy what DLR offers.
I am really excited that we will be staying so close to the park entrance. I mean, I really would love to stay in the bubble at a DLR hotel, but there is just no cost-comparable/justifiable option. :sad2: I always say that I wish they had a Pop Century there too. And you are right about the early entry, but at least we will get one early morning with our park ticket. I am excited to see what the Star Wars stuff is like, but you are right - won't ever be the same as a SWW. :sad1:

Oh, sure. I get that.
But usually the line is "As long as it doesn't cost a penny more."
Yeah, they are pretty awesome about these things, it seems. I mean, when he first started, they were fine with flying him between Palm Springs and Hawaii (vs. MN), due to the coincidental timing of our trip (he had to miss part of our first Hawaii trip, but worth it to get the job he loves). And this time, it was just "as long as it's a reasonable option" (which is definitely was).

:laughing: "Gimme more!"
Yup, that's my motto! ::yes:: :rotfl2:

Agreed.

:laughing: I have this vision of you bolting out of your seat and sprinting off,
stroller careening wildly down the walkway.
Something like that. :rotfl: But keeping the stroller under control to veer around all the oblivious wanderers.

:lmao: Suitable for framing!
Man, my walls would be packed if I framed all my photos of this quality level. :lmao:

Buying a piñata?

:rolleyes2
Um, something like that.... :rotfl:

Oh, Gawd. It starts that early????
I know! :faint: I am actually not a shopper at all (not my idea of a good time), but she sure seems to be. :scared: (Tonight, at her direction, we played "shopping at Target". It consisted of bringing her grocery cart and shopping basket to "Target" (a bag full of play food items) and both going, "I'm buying an orange!", "I'm buying a pizza!" "I'm buying chocolate!" Etc. Until the cart and basket are full. Which is pretty much how real life works at Target, I guess :rotfl:).

It was a great surprise to see those fireworks! pixiedust:

:thumbsup2

Nice way to end off the evening.
For sure! ::yes::

Can't pass up a deal like that!
Exactly! Which is why we are taking two trips nearly back to back (Hawaii, then Disneyland)! I just can't pass up the deals/opportunities!

They're right. But I was also told that 3 days is longer than we could have possibly needed. And I easily could have filled a couple more days. Granted, we did almost everything there is to do and a few things multiple times. But several things were closed and we did miss out on a few things. I think 5 days is ideal because you will have time to do everything and you should be able to do so without feeling too rushed. It will be especially nice having that cushion with the parks being so crowded!
I'm glad to hear your opinion. I know that MOST people would probably say that 5 days is way too much. But we felt incredibly stressed with 8 days at WDW last time (before/after the cruise) and one of our biggest take-aways from that was that we'd try to give ourselves enough time to take it easier next time. Especially in a place we don't go often and will want to do everything. To be honest, I'm still even worried with 5 days, as there is so much we want to do, places we want to see, places to dine, possibly people to visit with, etc. Hoping it will work out just right and feel at least a bit "leisurely."

That's not bad at all. When I looked into this last year, they were going to charge me $100 in addition to the regular rental fee just to drop off at DTD and then another $100 in addition to the rental fee to pick up there and drop off at John Wayne airport. I just kept our car all week and paid parking. Basically... I'm saying it sounds like you found a pretty good deal. Nicely done!
Guess I lucked out? :confused3 I don't know. I saw the rate on Costco Travel, but my membership was temporarily lapsed (I just renewed yesterday), so I originally booked directly through Alamo and that was the rate on their website. Yesterday, I changed it to Costco because I now could and it allowed me to get a Full Size for the same price as the Intermediate I'd reserved directly.

A free breakfast is always a nice perk.
Definitely! One less thing to think about. :thumbsup2

That will be a huge benefit! It looks like the Best Western is just as close if not closer to the Esplanade entrances than GCH.
Yes, it should be super close! I have heard it is closer that the DLR hotels. :cheer2:

That sucks, doesn't it?
Sure does. Just bought the tickets yesterday and she's really only a few dollars less than us. But, you know, can't ride any headliners. :sad2:

I'm sorry you're going to miss this one! I really enjoyed that show!
I'm bummed about that, as I've always heard such good things about it. Oh, well.

Um... well, not a lot different. There are some subtle differences in it that I'm sure you'd appreciate, but this isn't a make or break type of thing.
That's good, as Jungle Cruise is still showing as down for our whole trip.

What?? They were down for a significant refurb just last year!!! We missed both of them when we went last winter!
Thankfully, Haunted Mansion is no longer on the closed list. We are so relieved on that one! :hyper: Looking at Touring Plans' list, Soarin' is doing some sort of strange open/closed/open again thing. And Disneyland's site seems to agree, as it shows Soarin' down the day before we arrive, then open for our first three days, then down again starting on the 8th. :confused3 Also, a new one is that Splash goes down on the 8th too. I honestly think we are getting there at JUST the right time to catch most things (except train and boats and Fantasmic). Even World of Color is down a few days before we arrive, but should be running through our visit. :thumbsup2

I hope you can ride it. We were there in mid-January last year and rode Small World twice over our 3 days. The holiday overlay was still up, but in the process of coming down. It looked like they were just taking it down little by little at night as we could notice changes between our rides.
Holiday overlay sounds cool, but will be down for us. I'm just excited to see the Disney characters in it and stuff. And I'm sure Izzy will still love it. Good news is that it now is showing as open for our visit (or maybe down the first day, if anything). :cool1:

:thumbsup2

And don't be afraid to park jump for them!
Definitely! Looking forward to how easy it will be to do that!

I'll speak on behalf of the Aladdin meal. We got it for Fantasmic and I thought the food was very good and actually seemed to be a pretty good bargain for the money. I wasn't so happy with the spots they gave us for Fantasmic though. I'd recommend this meal, but make sure you do your research and know where the viewing spots will be.
Good to know. I think the parade viewing was listed as being in front of It's a Small World?

star_wars_its_a_trap.jpg

Ok, I had to use that one given the release of the new movie this week. But really, yeah, it's a trap.

If waiting twice through single rider will work for you, then don't worry about running to RSR. But if you want FP, get there first thing or you will likely wait in a long line just to get FP, or there is a good chance they'll run out by the time you get there.
Good to know. Since Izzy definitely won't be able to ride (unless we find her some 3-inch shoes that nobody notices :rotfl:), single rider is probably a good option for us (and on many other rides). However, if there are still FP after the madness dies down, I wouldn't mind grabbing a couple for later (like a late night ride or something). Just won't bank on it, though.

I think you'll enjoy this one! The princesses were awesome there and the food was good.... nothing I'd get overly excited about, but definitely not a bad meal.
Sounds good to me. Looking forward to it.

Sounds like a great idea to me!
Me too. :rotfl:

Come on Izzy, just cooperate this one time!
Sure would be nice. But I'm thinking it's more likely she'll be sitting there munching on some snacks or something.

Learn something new every day.
I know, I had no clue about this until I saw it on the schedule.

If Izzy is as into Cars as you say, I'm sure she'll enjoy checking the place out. And the food there is actually very good and a little bit of a different selection for Quick Service. We loved it and I highly recommend it.
Good to know. Sounds like a good option for us.

Awesome! You did a great job planning this trip out. That's not bad at all.
Thanks! I definitely take advantage of all the deals I can to save some $$$. Still adds up, though. I mean, back in the pre-Izzy days, we did a couple of our WDW trips for $1400/each trip (both 5-7 days at Pop). I think those days are gone, though. :sad1:

Ok, you mentioned getting into the park and grabbing FP first thing... I'd think twice about that. Maybe grab that FP second or third thing. Granted, when we went, the crowd levels were in the 3 -5 range, but FP didn't seem to go as fast as they do in WDW with the exception of RSR. I'd maybe get in a ride or 2 on those attractions that don't have FP and then grab FP somewhere close by to use later.

To give you an idea of how it worked for us, we could go to BTMRR just about any time and get FP for about an hour away. Now, other attractions did go faster than that and you couldn't do this with Space, but just something to think about.
Duly noted, thank you! :goodvibes

Merry Christmas, Izzy!
Thanks, she had a great Christmas!

Yeah... what he said. We did this one morning and we rode the Nemo Sub first thing. Not necessarily the type of ride you'd think to hit right away, but we didn't wait in the 40 - 60 minute line we saw there at other times.
I think I also read somewhere that the subs are good to hit right at the end of the early hour? :confused:

Well done!
Thanks!

I can only imagine. I can't say that I wouldn't do the same.
Me too!

Cool!

Looks like a nice evening all around!
It was!

I think I also read somewhere that the subs are good to hit right at the end of the early hour? :confused:
That would probably be right... I mean it isn't like the masses swarm there first thing. It seemed to be somewhat manageable during the first hour or so, but once the line started to back up it grew exponentially and it happened fast.

That would probably be right... I mean it isn't like the masses swarm there first thing. It seemed to be somewhat manageable during the first hour or so, but once the line started to back up it grew exponentially and it happened fast.

Oh, I had forgotten about the subs. That was the longest, worse line we waited in at DLR. However, since that's the only place to do it, we did the line. Definitely hit that early if you want to do it.

before I forget, the refills at Blue Bayou were free/included. They would come around with pitchers and just fill up you cups (I didn't realize this before)
Well, this is good news! :drinking1

Seems like Dug had a nice evening. Some times just chilling with a nice drink as a break can be a good part of vacation too .... it's great how you work out each of you getting some solo time!
Absolutely, I was wishing I was doing that too when he sent me a picture. But I ended up spending my Epcot night a bit differently (well, think sweets instead of drinks and maybe it wasn't that different...:rotfl:)

That's awesome you were able to see the DHS fireworks! I remember one trip we were able to see the Frozen fireworks from EPCOT - you really can see that show from like everywhere!
I was really surprised to see it. I had no idea it was visible from where we were. Nice treat!

For DL I've gone once for a long weekend (4day tickets first day was a 1/2 day) once for 6 days (when they used to let you add a 6th day) and once for 5 days. I've always wanted more time but felt I got most of the important things done on the longer trips and that was traveling with only adults. We're planning on going for the first week of December when DS is 2.5 and I know I'll be planning for 5 days of park days hopefully with a day off in the middle.
Sounds like a good plan to me. I had initially hoped to stay longer (like a week) so that we could take a day or two off, maybe visit friends in the area, etc. But between flight options, money, and Dug needing to work, 5 days was the max. Hoping it will feel sufficient!

All caught up - your DL plans sound amazing! I have no expertise on the West Coast but I would love to visit some day. Sounds like fun!
I am super excited to visit, since it's been so long and we've had such minimal experience with DLR vs. WDW. I love that it will be familiar but so very different, all at once! :hyper:

I'm glad the concert perked Izzy up - what a fun moment! All of your Outdoor Kitchen goodies sound delicious! How was the Burnt Ends Hash?
Concert was great - a surprise highlight for me. Burnt Ends Hash was very good!

Great bonus getting to catch the SWW fireworks from your balcony!
It sure was! pixiedust:

All caught up now! Your DLR plans sound great! It's been a long time since I've been to DLR and everything sounds amazing. I'll wait for your TR and see how your plans go and maybe we'll plan a trip too. Hehe. :)
You should! And, at the rate I'm going, you could probably even travel and then finish the TR before me! :rotfl: (I have no idea how I'm going to do this - I'm on Day 3 of this 12 night trip, a bit over halfway through the last Hawaii trip (I think), never started the June 2014 WDW trip, and now I have two more trips in two months! :faint: Good thing we have no immediate travel plans for the rest of 2016 - I have a LOT of TR writing to do. :scared:)

It's so great to go on 2 vacations within a short time frame! So you have something to look forward to when you come back from Hawaii. LUCKY!
It's going to be so crazy! Especially for Dug, as he leaves a week before Izzy and I for CA (work retreat). So, we get back, stay a week, then ship him off again, following behind the next week. I feel like both of these trips are relaxed/non-stressful, though, vs. our Land and Sea, which felt like two very stressful trips to plan for everything we wanted to do. Hawaii seems pretty chill and DLR is definitely laid-back vs. WDW, at least on the planning end.

I didn't' know so many attractions will be closed - what's left to ride? LOL. Is the closure of Soarin' to make way for the new new movie? Because Soarin' will be closed when we're in WDW in Feb/March so I'm assuming it's the same thing. I HOPE HOPE HOPE that they have some sort of soft opening/test rides for the new movie when we're there. Soarin' Guinea Pig? Sign me up!
I don't know what's going on with Soarin'. It's showing some wild open/close/open again pattern on the schedules. Then it finally goes down longer-term after our trip. I'm guessing that's the big changeover? :confused3

That avocado margarita looks sooo good. I totally forgot about them and forgot to try one. Note to self to drink one on our next trip!
It's really good! :drinking1

What a great view of the SW Fireworks without having to be there! Could you hear any of the music?
I honestly can't remember - I don't THINK we could hear music? :confused3 It was really a nice treat, though.

Yes, it's a walk up and the food is soooooo good! It's our favorite place to eat in DL! So far I've had about everything but the pot roast, and it's all delicious and a TON of food!
Sounds great! :thumbsup2

Your DL plans look good. I really think even with the bigger crowds, you will be fine with having so many days to check everything out.
Thanks, that is reassuring!

How funny we will both be in Disney at the same time but on opposite coasts!
Awesome! I love seeing FB posts from people who are on vacation while I'm on vacation somewhere else. :goodvibes

I'm really enjoying your trip report! All Izzy's toddler antics reminds me of my little ones. We just cleared the toddler stage for the third time (3 kids with my youngest turning 4 next month) and I may sound crazy but I do miss that age!
Hi, and thank you! :goodvibes Wow, if you were in our house tonight, you wouldn't miss this age. :faint: Izzy's normally a pretty good kid, but she was just nuts tonight - tantrum-ing randomly and lots of screaming (she's on an antibiotic for an ear infection and I guess they can sometimes cause behavior changes?) Hoping she's back to her normal self soon.

We also share a wedding anniversary. We celebrated our 10 year anniversary this past October 1st!
Wow, great day to get married! And it's WDW's anniversary date too! :goodvibes Congrats on your 10 years!

I'm looking forward to reading more of your report as I prepare for our family's next WDW trip in May 2015.
It might be slow going here for a while, but more will be coming. Heck, maybe I'll even finish before your trip. :rotfl: (Well, okay, probably not).

:hi! Thanks for sharing your Disneyland plans- I've never been there, but it sounds great!
I'm super excited since it's so unfamiliar/vaguely familiar.

My DD also had a Doc birthday for her 3rd birthday- great minds think alike!
:thumbsup2 Yeah, it was a total out-of-the-blue request on Izzy's part. We just had a Doc cake, didn't really theme anything else. She loved it, though!

I'm so excited about your upcoming trip to Disneyland (as well as your upcoming trip to Hawaii - so many exciting trips!).
I know, we are going to be gone probably more than home for the worst part of winter! :thumbsup2

I loved the shops at the Boardwalk - Anika and I really enjoyed wandering through them.
Izzy would like hanging out with you two. :rotfl:

An evening in Epcot by yourself sounds so nice, especially if an avocado margarita is involved! Capping off the solo time with a ride on both Mission Space and Soarin' sounds even better. :cloud9:
I know, sounds great, huh? ::yes::

Just found your report. I can't wait to read more about it. Your daughter is adorable.
Welcome and thank you! :welcome:

I totally understand about the potty thing. Our 4 year old still likes to do that to us. Drives me nuts. Lol.
Oh, yikes, I hope she's not still doing that at 4! :eek:

Keep it coming. Can't wait to read more.
Thanks! :goodvibes

That is an adorable picture of Izzy with Santa. I hope you guys had a wonderful holiday.
Thank you, we did!

2 firework shows in one night, how lucky! I think it's so cool that you and Dug each get your own alone time on the trip. I'm sure it's good for both you.
It is really nice to have some solo non-parenting time. It gets Izzy to bed at a semi-reasonable hour and we are both night people, so we get to take advantage of that somewhat (pre-Izzy we just both stayed out late).

Dug does the not-so-tame side of Mission Space???? I haven't even been brave enough to do the tame side. I get motion sickness and I could see it being a not-so-good time.
Yeah, he likes it. Not really for me, though. I did it once to try it and it was okay, but I utilized the tips about looking straight ahead or closing your eyes or something? I can't remember, but it helped.

I just started reading.... but I am so with you on the recliners! I know there is hot debate on this and yes, the seats recline. But, I don't try as hard to avoid knocking a reclined seat in front of me.
:thumbsup2 In general, I don't have a huge issue with it (I mean, I wouldn't recline unless the seat behind me was empty or if everyone was reclined/sleeping). But having your kid recline, not even use the back of the seat, and it's right in front of a kid in a carseat that has minimal legroom anyway?! :confused3 Yeah, that I don't get.

Yay for Disneyland!!! You will not be disappointed with BW Park Place. We just stayed there in November during Avengers Half Marathon. It was SO close. I have stayed at the HoJo and it is walking distance, but on the edge of what I would consider walking distance. We were there that same weekend last year. We planned the trip as close to my daughter's 2/15 birthday. It worked out well, but I guess CA schools have that Monday off which we were not at all anticipating. I didn't check crowd calendars.... I probably should have!
Great to hear you liked the BWPPI! I feel good about switching, as the less walking the better for Dug's back (and us getting there on time/early). Yeah, I noticed the Monday had a high crowd level, so that makes sense. Glad it was a good time to go.

You can gt a ton done in the morning so that is a good plan. We were pleasantly surprised at Flo's last year. Also- at the Cozy Cone's, Red's Apple Freeze is amazing. In Nov they were out of it when we went. :sad:
Sounds good, thanks for the recommendation!

It's sounds like you had a very successful day despite Izze not taking her nap. DL plans sound so fun, you'll have a blast.
It was a mostly successful day (especially after reading your TR!) Super excited for Disneyland!

Good to know!

Oh, I had forgotten about the subs. That was the longest, worse line we waited in at DLR. However, since that's the only place to do it, we did the line. Definitely hit that early if you want to do it.
Will do!

Hey, everyone! :wave2: Just a quick post to let you know that I might be a bit scarce around here for a bit (yes, even more than usual, haha! :rotfl:) We leave on Friday for Hawaii and will be there until the 18th. Then we go to Disneyland 2/5-2/10. Insanity! (In a good way). But I will finish this TR (and the others...) - just on the :snail: schedule. Who knows, maybe I'll even pop in from Hawaii. :scratchin See ya real soon! :wave:

There's no doubt you will have a good time in Hawaii. Think of us when you are sitting by the beach, drinking a Mai Tai, or eating fresh pineapple:)

I just wanted to say I love your trip reports!! I first found one of your TRs last year (when I was pregnant) and I loved seeing Izzy experience her first trip! Now I've followed along to a few and its so fun to see her grow up. It definitely has me itching to plan that first trip for my now 7 month old!

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your vacations! :flower1::flower3:

Izzy enjoyed the finger holes in the table too, I guess :rotfl::

:rotfl2::lmao: They always find something entertaining to play with don't they?!

I thought Izzy would enjoy the frushi

I'm so used to eating real sushi, that I can't get past sweet sushi! Totally throws me off, but i'd be down to take one bite someday.

Dug drew the short straw to take her on another potty visit.

:rotfl: This was DH on this last trip. But actually he was very nice about it. The act of bending over is not the business right now (we pick him up and place him on our feet to go pee so he doesn't have to sit on the toilet) so this is the first trip where we didn't have to 'fight' over who was taking him to the restroom this time around...and not gonna lie, it was nice:teeth:

But, instead, it turned out to be just a sweet, carefree, fun memory.

Love when this happens unexpectedly.

Holy moly!

This looks yummy.

Best Western Park Place Inn

Yes! There's never availability when we want to go, but this one and Tropicana have the BEST placement for the main crosswalk! But I still want to give Hojo a shot one day too.

Haunted Mansion (1/11-4/2)

It usually NEVER takes this long :confused3 Hopefully it will be up and running by the time you guys go.

and it’s Superbowl Sunday

This is what is causing some issues for us right now. DH will not go on vacation during the Superbowl, mainly cause he know he won't be able to watch it.

So, those who have been to Disneyland and are more familiar – toss your tips this way!

Just a few tips from me:
-I haven't used the Crowd Calendar in YEARS mainly because it is always busy, even in 'off season'. I'd plan on the parks being busy all the time, especially with just how compact (mainly Disneyland) is, it will feel even more busy. Plan on crowds so you don't get your hopes up.
-Morning FOR SURE! Get there right at park opening, and you'll be able to get on all the Fantasyland rides without waits (except for Peter Pan, that gets a wait rather quickly)
-Definitely make use of the paper FP! Grab them as soon as your time allows for it. This last trip in December, CM's were pretty lenient about showing up late for FP windows (20 mins was the latest we showed up to an attraction, with no problem :thumbsup2)

Her hair is growing so much! :banana: She's a doll!

Meanwhile, Izzy wanted to get out of her stroller and walk once we got back to the resort.

:headache:This past trip, I finally got to experience the pain you've felt. He really wanted to walk around a lot this trip, which made for more tantrums and getting places much more slowly.

Perfect!

Joining in WAY late! Stumbled upon your TR from Izzy's first visit recently while searching for help planning our next trip. We're taking our DD next month and she'll be 14.5 months old. Your TR was extremely helpful! Thanks for sharing all your experiences with us!

Have a great trip!
Thank you, we did!

Have an awesome trip!!!
Thank you, we did!

There's no doubt you will have a good time in Hawaii. Think of us when you are sitting by the beach, drinking a Mai Tai, or eating fresh pineapple:)
It was great and I did! :goodvibes

I just wanted to say I love your trip reports!! I first found one of your TRs last year (when I was pregnant) and I loved seeing Izzy experience her first trip! Now I've followed along to a few and its so fun to see her grow up. It definitely has me itching to plan that first trip for my now 7 month old!

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your vacations! :flower1::flower3:
:welcome: Thanks for reading along and posting! I love to read comments like this. :flower3: It's so much fun to take your little one to Disney and I hope you get to plan a trip soon! :goodvibes

:rotfl2::lmao: They always find something entertaining to play with don't they?!
Indeed they do. ::yes::

I'm so used to eating real sushi, that I can't get past sweet sushi! Totally throws me off, but i'd be down to take one bite someday.
Haha, maybe it helps that I don't eat real sushi. :thumbsup2

:rotfl: This was DH on this last trip. But actually he was very nice about it. The act of bending over is not the business right now (we pick him up and place him on our feet to go pee so he doesn't have to sit on the toilet) so this is the first trip where we didn't have to 'fight' over who was taking him to the restroom this time around...and not gonna lie, it was nice:teeth:
That would be nice. (Also makes me glad I don't have to figure out the toddler boy potty logistics :rotfl:).

Love when this happens unexpectedly.
Me too and I sure needed it by that point.

Holy moly!
Ha, isn't that crazy?! :lmao:

This looks yummy.
It was pretty yummy. But I think it was one of those things that looks better than it tastes. Like, it was good, but not particularly memorable.

Yes! There's never availability when we want to go, but this one and Tropicana have the BEST placement for the main crosswalk! But I still want to give Hojo a shot one day too.
Glad to hear this! I think we made the right choice by changing from HoJo to BWPPI. That location will be especially helpful for Dug's backaches. Or a toddler who insists on walking, but at a snail's pace. :snail:

It usually NEVER takes this long :confused3 Hopefully it will be up and running by the time you guys go.
Good news, the dates have been revised and it should be open! :cool1:

This is what is causing some issues for us right now. DH will not go on vacation during the Superbowl, mainly cause he know he won't be able to watch it.
Or he could watch it from somewhere on Disney property. :rolleyes1 (If only the princesses were having a viewing party, he'd be there. :rotfl:)

Just a few tips from me:
-I haven't used the Crowd Calendar in YEARS mainly because it is always busy, even in 'off season'. I'd plan on the parks being busy all the time, especially with just how compact (mainly Disneyland) is, it will feel even more busy. Plan on crowds so you don't get your hopes up.
-Morning FOR SURE! Get there right at park opening, and you'll be able to get on all the Fantasyland rides without waits (except for Peter Pan, that gets a wait rather quickly)
-Definitely make use of the paper FP! Grab them as soon as your time allows for it. This last trip in December, CM's were pretty lenient about showing up late for FP windows (20 mins was the latest we showed up to an attraction, with no problem :thumbsup2)
Great, thanks for the advice! I will plan on it being busy and 5 days sure helps me feel better about that. I am super excited to be able to make Fast Pass runs again! :hyper:

Her hair is growing so much! :banana: She's a doll!
Thanks! :goodvibes

:headache:This past trip, I finally got to experience the pain you've felt. He really wanted to walk around a lot this trip, which made for more tantrums and getting places much more slowly.
Sorry to hear that, but I totally understand. Part of the allure of solo time for me is just being able to walk at a normal pace. ::yes::

It was such a cool surprise to see those fireworks!

Joining in WAY late! Stumbled upon your TR from Izzy's first visit recently while searching for help planning our next trip. We're taking our DD next month and she'll be 14.5 months old. Your TR was extremely helpful! Thanks for sharing all your experiences with us!
:welcome: Eh, you're really not late at all - I only just finished Day 2 of a 12 night trip. :rotfl: (I am a wee bit slower-paced than some around here). How exciting that you're taking your DD in a month! I thought it was a great age to make a first trip. I liked that she wasn't an infant anymore, so was able to understand and interact a fair amount, but she was still small and portable and pretty agreeable to anything (not really old enough to have strong opinions yet). I hope you have a wonderful time! (And glad the TR was helpful - that's a big reason I write these - other TRs help me so much that I like to give back).

A Slow Start to the Day

This morning was our planned “sleep in” morning. Our plans were to go to Animal Kingdom, which didn’t open until 9am, and we had FP+ for all of our must-dos. Dug and I were up and getting ready by 8am, but Izzy was still soaking in every last bit of sleep that she could get:

(And, yes, once again she insisted on wearing her clothes to bed).

Dug and I were preparing some breakfast sandwiches to feast on:

I think Izzy eventually got up and joined us for breakfast, but no photos apparently. :confused3

We had her dressed and ready to head out at 8:42am:

She agreed with my outfit selection for her today (yay!) and wore the Minnie/animal print outfit that I’ve gotten use out of on several trips and it still fits her! (I am especially happy about that as it was a clearance outfit! What a deal!) She even briefly wore the Olaf sun hat I’d picked up for her. And by briefly, I mean that she wore it for a few minutes indoors and that was the only time the entire trip. :rotfl2: Can’t win ‘em all. At any rate, we were on our way out to the bus stop at 8:52am:

There was a gal on our elevator wearing a Goofy ears hat and Izzy got a kick out of it. :goofy: There was a lot of giggling and toddler flirting going on. The lady was very friendly and perhaps a bit flattered by all the attention. :blush: And, in true trip reporter fashion, I even grabbed a picture of her after the fact:

(Really only took this so I’d remember the story, but why not throw it in there? I’m pretty sure this will happen again in this TR…:rolleyes1)

We strolled into the lovely Boardwalk lobby:

As you can see, Izzy insisted on toting around her blankie again:

And finally nearing the bus stops:

Izzy led the way for us:

We ended up getting an AK bus pretty quickly, after letting a Magic Kingdom one pass through. It was just after 9am as we started on our way. We knew that meant no opening show for us, but we were happy with the choice of a semi-leisurely morning vs. seeing the AK show. We made a quick stop over at the Swalphin (Swan & Dolphin) and had a view of the Boardwalk:

We arrived and headed into the park around 9:30am:

Being that we weren’t in a huge rush, we decided to stop for Photopass shots on our way into the park. Turns out that Izzy didn’t like us impeding our progress towards Mickey and Minnie :sad2::

Come on, kid, just look at the camera!

Hmmm, well, that’s not really any better. :lmao: So, since she was being grumpy, I determined it was due to Mickey standing on her head:

Yep, totally makes more sense! Hey, this next one is almost a passable picture, except that you can still see the daggers in her eyes (a bit) and we are now in “Mal Kingdom”, which just doesn’t have the same ring to it :rotfl::

After those magical moments that would make a very interesting Disney commercial, we headed through the bag check and into the park.

Since we had FP+ lined up, we meandered our way pretty slowly into AK, taking bird pictures:

And a waterfall:

And, soon, it was time to behold the Tree of Life:

I happened to spot a FP+ kiosk that I’d never noticed before:

I guess the AK theming is so good that it just blended right in.

There were construction walls up, no surprise:

Our first FP+ was for 9-10am to meet Mickey and Minnie. I did this in August 2014 with Izzy and had a great time (twice, actually). But, I am rather directionally challenged and really had no memory of where the Adventurer’s Outpost was. I’m pretty sure I just accidentally found it last time. And then wandered around until I found it again the second time that trip. :blush: But Dug is always great with knowing his way around, so I wasn’t concerned. Except that he’d never done this meet before and hadn’t looked ahead to see where it was (silly Dug, thinking I’d remember! :confused3) So, we ended up taking a little longer route than necessary, including cutting over by the Tree of Life on the way:

And there were more birds to watch:

And a tortoise:

Tree carvings and waterfall (this was a pretty nice detour/long route):

We finally arrived at the Adventurer’s Outpost just a few minutes shy of the 10am close to our FP+ window (so, right on time if you’re counting this trip…::yes::) We were lucky in that the line was very short, but that meant we only had a few minutes to admire the great artwork on the queue walls:

I also enjoyed the themed bulletin/chalk boards:

Up next: Back in her true love’s arms. ::MinnieMo

Hi Dugette, I'm Alison! I know I'm very late to the party, but I'm here! I just wanted to let you know I'm really enjoying your TR so far. Your daughter Izzy is so cute and the character photos you got with her are great!! SWW sounds like a lot of fun too. Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

Dug and I were up and getting ready by 8am, but Izzy was still soaking in every last bit of sleep that she could get:
Might as well! Rest up and be ready for the parks!

(And, yes, once again she insisted on wearing her clothes to bed).
Whatever it takes. As long as she's asleep.

And by briefly, I mean that she wore it for a few minutes indoors and that was the only time the entire trip.
I know a little girl who also refuses to wear anything on her head, ever.

Hmmm, well, that’s not really any better. :lmao: So, since she was being grumpy, I determined it was due to Mickey standing on her head:
:rotfl: That would make anyone grumpy.

I happened to spot a FP+ kiosk that I’d never noticed before:
Cool. And now that I think about it... I'm not sure I could tell you where any of the FP+ kiosks are in AK. I've never used or sought one out so it isn't something I ever pay attention to.

Tree carvings and waterfall (this was a pretty nice detour/long route):
Definitely a nice detour. And I'm glad you at least made it before your FP window ended.

I love the pictures of Izze in front on AK, she is showing some sass, love putting Mickey on top :thumbsup2. I do the same thing sometimes at the parks, thinking I know where it is and then taking forever to get there :rotfl2:. At least you got a good view and made it in time. Love the pictures of the queue, its my favorite character queue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter