I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

I made each of us a Mickey tye dye for our trip last week. They turned out great, and we really enjoyed wearing them. Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Here's a pic of us wearing them at Pop Century:

IMG_1033.JPG

Aimfred said:
I made each of us a Mickey tye dye for our trip last week. They turned out great, and we really enjoyed wearing them. Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Here's a pic of us wearing them at Pop Century:

IMG_1033.JPG

Wow, those are awesome! I love the bright colors.

Thanks from me too! My boys and I dyed our shirts today. We now have to patiently wait to see how they turned out!

We did the family fun solar shirts, at the same time. Using tie dye as well. The kids had fun making all of the shirts.

My 9 year old, asked "where did you learn how to do this". I told him, the disboards! He replied "You sure do like those disboards". True. very true.

Ok, so how do you dye the so you have the Mickey one color and the rest of the shirt other colors??

ckmommy said:
Ok, so how do you dye the so you have the Mickey one color and the rest of the shirt other colors??

After you have rubberbanded it all off, dye the Mickey head portion with the color you want. Then put a plastic baggie (ziploc or sandwich bag) over the Mickey head portion and rubber band that off. Now you can tie dye the rest of the shirt and it shouldn't change the color of the Mickey head.

Can someone suggest a particular dye?
Do you purchase a kit, or do you use RIT?
Do you use the ash method or just a dye out of the box?
I don't like the primary colors, I like the bright colors..
Any suggestions on that?
Thank you!
P.S.
I'm also a visual learner - thank you so much for those wonderful, descriptive photos!

Corryn said:
Can someone suggest a particular dye?
Do you purchase a kit, or do you use RIT?
Do you use the ash method or just a dye out of the box?
I don't like the primary colors, I like the bright colors..
Any suggestions on that?
Thank you!
P.S.
I'm also a visual learner - thank you so much for those wonderful, descriptive photos!

I used Dylon brand dyes.. very easy to use and colors are super brig ht!!!
you can get them at Walmart for $1.99 :banana:

Thanks, Kat 3668 (our anniversary is on 3/6 and I was born in 68)
But I wonder if you knew....You just helped a YANKEE FAN!!!!!! :rotfl2:
I was Born and Raised in The Bronx :thumbsup2

I'm about to do another one of these..

Maybe i'll try recording some of it in video!

That would really show people how to do it...

Give me a day or two and i'll post it up. :)

I am so bad about anything creative. I couldn't draw a free hand Mickey head to save my life. How are you guys doing it? Somebody please tell me you copied something. Aimfred, yours look especially fantastic. Did you do yours free hand?

Thanks!

These shirts all look great...does anyone have a pattern or know a place that I can print a nice big Mickey head to trace? I have a kit at home and this would be the perfect way for me to mess around with it!

I am not creative and know that I would definitely mess this project up!! I really would love for my boys to have these shirts. If anyone is going to be making shirts like this for their children, I will gladly pay you for your time and supplies if you would be willing to make 2 extra. PM me if you are interested. These shirts are darling!!

I just finished 5 shirts for myself, my DD, my sister and her two boys. Even my 12 year old son grudgingly said it was cool and he might wear it - just not in public!!

They came out great!!! Thank you for all the tips. The pattern made all the difference!!!!

I can't wait until they are dry!!

One question - how do I wash them???

I am definatley going to try this! I hope that it works out, the shirts are sooo cute! I want to do the multi colors like AIMFRED How do you do the multi-color?? Thanks for any help! :thumbsup2

Lee :sunny:

Ok, I'm going to be brave and try to make some for my family.

Silly question -- should the shirts be 100 percent cotton?

And how do you do the multiple colors? Do you use a squirt bottle?

I've never tie dyed before. I should ask my daughter -- she did a little at camp but it was just one color and she won't be home from camp for a week.

Thanks for the info!

My son and I are trying to do this. We followed the instructions, and all the tips. While we were sewing and banding we had WDW specials playing in the background to set the mood. :mickeyjum

We can't wait to see how these turn out. As soon as we can, we'll post pictures and let you all know. :goofy:

Sure hope they look as fabulous as all the ones did here.

:flower1:

The two we did really came out nice. I've got alot more to baste and bind. WOW. If you follow the directions here and pay attention to the tips, it's really not that hard to do. I've never attempted this before and I found that it's was pretty easy to do. It's a little time comsuming, but so worth it.

My brain is just turning. I really want to do a goofy one.

Last week my hard drive died. (I lost everything. Learned a lesson about backing up the hard way) A new one is on the way. Once I get it up and running, I'll post pictures. Again, thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

My next project I want to attempt is the clothes. I have a beatiful little girl (2) that needs to be in those outfits while on our trip! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter