• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you got BAD credit Walt Disney Wolrd will not hire you!

Federal Gov't will not issue security clearances to people with bad credit either.

I can't believe that every person at Disney has credit scores in the 700's. There are alot of very young people that work there. I wonder if this is a new policy.

DH is in management in the financial services industry. He just started a new job last week and he had to have 3 different kinds of background checks done -- criminal, credit and work history (that industry is very regulated by the feds so they have their own "system" in place). He also had to be fingerprinted.

From what I understand, running a credit check is becoming standard with many companies today. I guess it shows history of reliability (paying bills), etc.

Try working for Visa with their computers. When I was hired (20 years ago) there were only about 500 employees worldwide. We sort of did everything. It took two months to get a job offer while they were checking everything.

Corporations increasingly think that they own the people who work for them. The only difference between a low-level employee, at least in the private sector, and a slave is that the boss has to feed and provide medical care to a slave or lose whatever sum of money was paid for the slave. To say that the employee can quit is like saying that the slave can just run away. The employee who quit and now needs a reference from his or her former employer is in the same position as the slave who ran away and now doesn't know where he is going to live.

Thankfully my current job does not require me to handle any company cash, and I try to avoid even applying for jobs that would require me to handle money. With the exception of grocery store cashiers in unionized areas, the cashier is never making any money so why set yourself to be blamed if money goes missing? Not only are there professional thieves who make their living going from business to business and confusing and conning the cashiers, but management could pocket some bucks knowing that the cashier would take the fall.

My husband and I both work for a car dealership. (Autonation) We both had a backround and credit check.

Our company does a credit check for everyone.

I was denied a job once for something on my report that wasn't even mine. I disputed with the agencies but they refused to remove it. Now I have a neg on my reports which I continue to dispute with no success.

It sucks but that is the way things work now.

Have had a written dispute placed into your file? You have a rjght to do that.

What happens if you don't have any credit.

I have a friend who is a rare bird. He pays cash for everything (even his home). He never owned a credit card.

Corporations increasingly think that they own the people who work for them. The only difference between a low-level employee, at least in the private sector, and a slave is that the boss has to feed and provide medical care to a slave or lose whatever sum of money was paid for the slave. To say that the employee can quit is like saying that the slave can just run away. The employee who quit and now needs a reference from his or her former employer is in the same position as the slave who ran away and now doesn't know where he is going to live.

Thankfully my current job does not require me to handle any company cash, and I try to avoid even applying for jobs that would require me to handle money. With the exception of grocery store cashiers in unionized areas, the cashier is never making any money so why set yourself to be blamed if money goes missing? Not only are there professional thieves who make their living going from business to business and confusing and conning the cashiers, but management could pocket some bucks knowing that the cashier would take the fall.

The majority of corporations won't give any reference for fear of being sued. The only thing they will do is confirm you worked there.

The reason for this is that the reservation agents have access to credit card numbers of the guests. Alot of jobs that require taking payments have credit standards. They would rather hire those people that are financially responsible because they think they are less likely to "help themselves" to pay bills. Right or wrong, that is the reasoning. I don't think that everyone who has bad credit is a criminal, nor do I think that everyone who pays their bills is honest, but businesses feel they lessen the potential problem people by running credit checks.

I used to do customer service work for Expedia. I did NOT have a credit check and at the end of the day I would have 10-15 CC #'s written on my 'scrap' sheet of paper. I always shoved it in my drawer (which was not able to be locked) and when I quit I just trashed it all. I was only 18 and a little naive so I didn't realize exactly what could have happened until later.

Now I work in banking and in an office that caters to elderly (like, we check the obituary and send out condolence cards daily) and it amazes me how many people get hoodwinked by trusting other people.

I completely agree with credit checks for people who have access to others secure information. When I call Disney, I don't want a felon (I know the OP's neice was NOT a felon, but you get my point!) taking my credit card information.

I was working with a Temp Agency about 13 years ago and they wanted to send me for a job at a bank but said I would have to have a credit check first. I told them no thank you. Why?

The job was as the phone receptionist! All I would do is answer the phone and transfer people to the right department! (this was pre automated phone systems!) I had no desire to have a credit check done just to say "Please Hold while I transfer you". It was more a matter of principal at the time. The thought of that just ticked me off.

I worked on the front desk through the college program and I do not remember them doing credit checks. This was 7 years ago, and they did do criminal background checks, a 7 year work history and a 7 year housing history.

When I worked there again in 2005, as a photopass photographer they again did the above, no credit check, but I was fingerprinted. I assumed it had to do with taking pictures and working so closely with kids, but I didn't ask.

I was working with a Temp Agency about 13 years ago and they wanted to send me for a job at a bank but said I would have to have a credit check first. I told them no thank you. Why?

The job was as the phone receptionist! All I would do is answer the phone and transfer people to the right department! (this was pre automated phone systems!) I had no desire to have a credit check done just to say "Please Hold while I transfer you". It was more a matter of principal at the time. The thought of that just ticked me off.

I would say no to that too.
and another thought........too many inquiries affects the credit score too.

I would say no to that too.
and another thought........too many inquiries affects the credit score too.

They show up under a section reading "Employment Inquiries" so it doesn't really hurt you.

There are several reasons for doing this but the predominant one has to do with the your current financial state. If you're in serious debt, your employer wants to see if your paycheck will be enough to offset this. I have 30 employees underneath me and their finances come into question frequently because it interferes with their work.

Moonlighting is the biggest issue. I had an employee with a second job and he wouldn't show up for work. He couldn't balance his schedule so he would frequenly call in sick.

Most employers want longevity in an employee. If they don't pay the person enough to assit with their financial troubles that employee would be more likely to leave for a better paying job.

Does it suck that do this? Yes. Unfortunately it's all about what is best for the company.

My niece just retruend from Florida. She is 25 and graduated from college couple years ago. She applied for a reservations position at Walt Disney World. She went through 2 interviews. When they did the background check, they also did a credit check. She made some stupid mistakes on credit cards when she was in college, therefore her credit is not good. She never thought it would prevent her from getting a job. Disney told her due to her bad credit, she would not be hired. WOW.... Can you believe all the WDW must have credit scores in the 700s... I am sorry, the mouse is getting just a little picky for the employees he wants to underpay.

I'm sorry that happened. :hug:

That's a tough lesson. It has to hurt!

She's young though and can learn from it and get her score back up. :thumbsup2

I wish her the best and hope she gets the job of her dreams.

Mary

DH is in management in the financial services industry. He just started a new job last week and he had to have 3 different kinds of background checks done -- criminal, credit and work history (that industry is very regulated by the feds so they have their own "system" in place). He also had to be fingerprinted.

From what I understand, running a credit check is becoming standard with many companies today. I guess it shows history of reliability (paying bills), etc.

Yes, but what bothers me is that I think it is becoming more of a personality measure than a credit check. It is being used more and more as a means to measure the quality of an entire person's being. I don't think that is always fair because there are various reasons one might have a low score.

It's a tough call, I don't know what the answer is.

Mary

There are a lot of companies that will check your credit before hiring you. Many of these companies have you working around cash. They figure if you have bad credit, and struggle to pay your bills, you may be tempted to do something dishonest.

Yup. The company I used to work for did the same thing for the same reason. People were taken out for theft right and left before it was part of the hiring process. Once they started doing credit checks along with mandatory drug tests, the numbers dropped considerably. It's too bad about your niece, but I'm sure there are still companies out there for whom it's not a big deal.

I guess I don't see how someone being financially irresponsible effects how they will perform their job if the job is not in the financial realm. Many people have bad credit because of health issues or divorce...does that make them untrustworthy? Of course not. If there's no nexus to the job, credit checks are next to useless.

This drives me crazy to. It's funny my credit is not good due to medical issues and credit cards that went bad after I got sick. I have been working with money since High School and have never ever been tempted to steal no matter how bad things get. I value my freedom more then anything. To me going by a persons credit report should be discrimination. A credit report does not define how well someone does with customers or money in a work environment. Legally I don't think they should be able to do this or have access to your credit. Background yes credit no!

Some of the biggest embezzlers in history have had stellar credit I'm sure.

:thumbsup2 I agree with all the above. I never understood this credit check thing at all.

A friend of mine was out of work for 1 1/2 years!!!!!!!:scared1: :scared1: Of course his credit stunk by then. He was this close "{}" to a great job offer & BOOM! Didnt get it because of bad credit!:worried:

My neighbor whose Dh walk walked out 1 1/2 years ago...left her in a MESS! She too has the same problems getting jobs!

Bad credit does NOT ALWAYS = Bad employee!

We don't work with cash, but do conduct a full background check (fingerprint, criminal, work history) and a credit check because almost all employees have access to sensitive information (including other people's personal info). We don't look at your actual score, we look at your history. The credit check is an indicator of whether or not you have a history of being financially responsible. If you had bad credit, but were making visible attempts to repay your debt, we do take that into account. The college credit card/divorce scenarios are ones we hear all the time.

If you have had bad credit for 10 years with no attempts to pay it back, there is no way we would hire you. (Even a $20 a month payment plan shows us that you realize your responsibility and take your business dealings seriously.) If you had no credit because you are young, that is not held against you. Bad credit does not mean the applicant is a bad person. Again, the credit info is just one aspect of what we review before actually hiring you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter