• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you got BAD credit Walt Disney Wolrd will not hire you!

Walgreens is another company that will run a credit check before hiring. Yeah the policy sucks for some people but I fully understand why companies are starting to adopt this procedure.

When I went to work for Revco (drug store) when I was 15, I had to have a polygraph!

Denae

Without sending this discussion into a completely different direction, don't you think that very strict credit policies will hinder employment for the people who need it the most? Everyone thinks that people should support themselves and most believe that welfare is meant to be a short-term safety net.

So, then take the lowest paying jobs and make it impossible for anyone who has had past problems to get them. More highly qualified people with good credit aren't the ones after the $6.50 an hour job, so who then works them?

I tend to agree with your argument.

edited because I reread the OP.

Without sending this discussion into a completely different direction, don't you think that very strict credit policies will hinder employment for the people who need it the most? Everyone thinks that people should support themselves and most believe that welfare is meant to be a short-term safety net.

So, then take the lowest paying jobs and make it impossible for anyone who has had past problems to get them. More highly qualified people with good credit aren't the ones after the $6.50 an hour job, so who then works them?

Excellent point.

DH is in management in the financial services industry. He just started a new job last week and he had to have 3 different kinds of background checks done -- criminal, credit and work history (that industry is very regulated by the feds so they have their own "system" in place). He also had to be fingerprinted.

From what I understand, running a credit check is becoming standard with many companies today. I guess it shows history of reliability (paying bills), etc.

That's a little bit ridiculous in my opinion that you check a credit score to determine someone is a qualified canidate. In some cases even a criminal background shouldn't matter. Ah well... corporate American bullpoop.

I don't believe that the credit score is the only thing they use to determine if someone is a qualified candidate. Its one of many I am sure. I don't have a problem with people running credit checks for certain jobs. Will it give you a complete picture of the person?...probably not, but it will give them an idea. If the person is a stealler candidate other than that, they may re interview and try to find out what happened. I know that is what my company does.

The company I used to work for did an extensive background check and credit report. They would not hire anyone with bad credit. The philosophy for some is it shows responsibility.

True, but should employers be the ones to take the risk that those people will perpetuate their irresponsible behavior?

True, but should employers be the ones to take the risk that those people will perpetuate their irresponsible behavior?

I guess I don't see how someone being financially irresponsible effects how they will perform their job if the job is not in the financial realm. Many people have bad credit because of health issues or divorce...does that make them untrustworthy? Of course not. If there's no nexus to the job, credit checks are next to useless.

Just because someone didn't pay their credit card bill doesn't mean they're going to steal from their employer.

You're taking a risk no matter who you hire, whether their credit score is good or bad, or whether they have a criminal history or not. There's a first time for everything.

If employers stop giving people jobs because of even the slightest screw-up, a lot more people are going to be jobless.

WOW things have changed since I was offered a job less then a year ago, I went to the casting center filled out a app. They hired me after my first interview as a front desk person. I know they do a criminal background check I never had a credit app done:confused3 If they had I would have never got a job:scared1: :scared1: I ended up not being able to take the job it was going to cost a arn and leg to live in Flordia more then I would have made at Disney

I think that's the gist of the freecreditreport.com commercial about the guy working at the fish restaurant. It is becomming a lot more common - and when you have two equally qualified applicants would you rather hire the one who used poor financial judgment or the one who did not?

Now marketing credit cards to college students, that is another thread!

awwww man I just got that song out of my head today. :badpc:

This makes the most sense- I completely understand why a reservation clerk should have a credit check.

Do we know for sure that they base the selection process on credit scores for ALL positions? Or is the OP assuming this?

It's not for all positions.

Financially irresponsible?

Having bad credit does not prove that! Years ago, my h and I had poor credit. He had custody of his three, I had custody of my one and we had two exes that refused to pay their child support. We had to choose to feed the family or be late on a car payment. The other parents where financially irresponsible, not us, but guess who had the poor credit report and who where the ones that had good ones? Someone who would not support their child(ren) is not someone I would choose to hire.

I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush but I've made exceptions for a few people with less then OK credit and IN MY CASE it has not worked out. The last guy I hired with bad credit has been in the county jail for the last 4 months and sends me letters asking for his job back once a week.:eek:Sure buddy no problem I need a guy around that hits his wife, can I send a car to pick you up..... gez

I do have one man that has been with me for several years that I hired with bad credit. Cancer took his wife and child in a 4 year period and he lost everything he had caring for them, That's a different story. I have helped him rebuild his credit as well as his life.

This drives me crazy to. It's funny my credit is not good due to medical issues and credit cards that went bad after I got sick. I have been working with money since High School and have never ever been tempted to steal no matter how bad things get. I value my freedom more then anything. To me going by a persons credit report should be discrimination. A credit report does not define how well someone does with customers or money in a work environment. Legally I don't think they should be able to do this or have access to your credit. Background yes credit no!

WOW, in that case, I shouldn't have the Job I have now, my credit is poo-poo thanks to credit cards to pay for my DD's college, and thier clothes and Bills and such.:confused3

Some of the biggest embezzlers in history have had stellar credit I'm sure.

Are they bonded? I worked at a bank for years and DH still does and we were both bonded. I understand the whole bad credit equals someone stressed and more desperate. The same reasoning is used in banking. They figure if you can't handle you own money you shouldn't be handling other people's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter