If you are PIF, and DCL gave you the chance to cancel w/o penalty, would you?

No! Have only sailed on DCL, and nothing has changed to make me want to try another cruise line. Love cruising with DCL, was on the WBPC in May and it was one of the best vacations my wife and I have ever had.

I won't be cancelling our November cruise (we're paid in full because of being Gold and wanting to do the online check in at 90 days - the cruise PIF date is September 2), the only reason I won't be cancelling is because of friends who have always wanted to do a Disney cruise are coming with us. If it was just my family, I'd be cancelling and booking the Carnival Dream 7 night cruise in an oceanview spa cabin (which is a little less in cost than our 5 night DCL cruise even with the 10% obb discount).

After 6 DCL cruises and the recent changes (not just the alcohol one but the mickey mail, the adding of the for-fee candy store and ice cream on the dream, plus the large increases in fare costs with no added value for us), I will not be doing an on board booking.

Nope. Not even a factor. Neither of the recent changes are enough to make me stop cruising Disney and they won't affect my future trips in the slightest bit.

I won't be cancelling our November cruise (we're paid in full because of being Gold and wanting to do the online check in at 90 days - the cruise PIF date is September 2), the only reason I won't be cancelling is because of friends who have always wanted to do a Disney cruise are coming with us. If it was just my family, I'd be cancelling and booking the Carnival Dream 7 night cruise in an oceanview spa cabin (which is a little less in cost than our 5 night DCL cruise even with the 10% obb discount).

After 6 DCL cruises and the recent changes (not just the alcohol one but the mickey mail, the adding of the for-fee candy store and ice cream on the dream, plus the large increases in fare costs with no added value for us), I will not be doing an on board booking.

Why does adding a candy and ice cream store affect your decision?

I can't speak for the person who made the comment but for many people the continuous addition of upcharge items is upsetting. One of the selling points of DCL was the lack of nickel and diming. It helped people justify the higher price point. Now DCL is taking away perks and adding more items with an additional cost while still having very high fares.

I can't speak for the person who made the comment but for many people the continuous addition of upcharge items is upsetting. One of the selling points of DCL was the lack of nickel and diming. It helped people justify the higher price point. Now DCL is taking away perks and adding more items with an additional cost while still having very high fares.
I agree. The addition of up charge/ ala carte items is turning me off. Feels like DCL is feeling less "all inclusive"

Because it shows me the direction that DCL is heading. Pay for popcorn, pay for ice cream, entice people with an onboard candy store that's right next to the buffet.

I have always justified the higher cost of DCL for our family because it was basically all inclusive. On Disney, the ship is our destination and we don't do excursions, we drink the included soda (and bring on some cans), I would pre-purchase the bottles of Evian, and other than a bit of shopping, we didn't really spend anything else (maybe 1-3 drinks, and our onboard credit has traditionally been able to cover all or most of our tips). Our final on board bill never exceeds $100. I looked at the overall final cruise cost and compared to our other cruises and while DCL usually still came out a bit more, there are things that we enjoyed so it made it worth it.

If I have to budget for the added temptations, then DCL falls outside of my cost/value ratio.
And I don't want to have to say "No" all the time either (especially as I travel with my senior parents).

Yes.

Especially since I realized how much more expensive DCL is compared to other cruise lines.

Don't get me wrong, I love Disney and it will always have that "fantasy" touch that other cruiseline won't have...

But I realized that the things we liked the most on our Dream cruise had very little to do with the mouse (the sea, the balcony, the mixology class, serenity bay (quiet adult only beach), the rainsforest spa and excellent food).

I feel like we could find similar itinerary on a different cruiseline and like it just as much (while saving a lot of money).

DH and I are currently looking for a 2017 trip (2 cruises paid in full in 2016) and Alaska is in the list. DCL charges over 4000$ for DH and I when we could get it for 2500$ somewhere else.

Last edited:
Because it shows me the direction that DCL is heading. Pay for popcorn, pay for ice cream, entice people with an onboard candy store that's right next to the buffet.

I have always justified the higher cost of DCL for our family because it was basically all inclusive. On Disney, the ship is our destination and we don't do excursions, we drink the included soda (and bring on some cans), I would pre-purchase the bottles of Evian, and other than a bit of shopping, we didn't really spend anything else (maybe 1-3 drinks, and our onboard credit has traditionally been able to cover all or most of our tips). Our final on board bill never exceeds $100. I looked at the overall final cruise cost and compared to our other cruises and while DCL usually still came out a bit more, there are things that we enjoyed so it made it worth it.

If I have to budget for the added temptations, then DCL falls outside of my cost/value ratio.
And I don't want to have to say "No" all the time either (especially as I travel with my senior parents).

We find our DCL cruising to be the same way. There is very little in the way of upcharges (alcohol, specialty coffee, spas) that we pay for on the ship; usually our OBC amply covers us. That makes the price more palatable.

Honestly, I do not have a problem with them adding a la carte options so long as they don't take anything existing away in return. For example, Vanellope's is fine, IMO, so long as they don't take away the Eye Scream station on the other side of the ship. I have no problem telling my kids that Eye Scream has been more than satisfactory for many years and if they want to buy stuff at Vanellope's, it comes out of their own pocket. I know DCL is counting on me to cave in to whining, but I'm not taking the bait.

I'm booked in an 00T for Sept 2016. If I wouldn't lose that deposit I'd likely dump it. The revised liquor policy is a factor in a multi-faceted overall feeling. I'm just not so impressed that I feel the need to spend a premium on a product that continually moves towards average at best.

Would have to be a no this time as like others we have a few gift certificates/Disney dollars involved. We are not Disney gimps but enjoyed the level of service initially.

However, will be looking at other lines in future. This is the straw that broke the camels back so to speak but I am also bored with the itineraries, don't like the shorts at dinner change, the constant flow of kids through the adult area, shame they don't enforce that policy as rigidly, I counted about 30 kids parading through one morning!

It's 2 months since I have had an alcoholic drink so not a big drinker but I like to have the option so that was one of the big pulls for Disney against "industry standard" now I can get industry standard $1,000 cheaper! Living by the mouse I can get my Disney fill anytime and cruise to more exotic locations at 1/3 of the price.

We will reach platinum in less than four years mostly due to all the last minute discounts that they have offered recently. If those go away I can't see myself sticking with DCL. I'm not going to spend a year or two saving up for a cruise when I could have cruised 3 times on another cruise line in that time frame for the same price. I know a lot of people on these boards would rather give up their right arm than the mouse, but I'm not one of them.

As far as cancelling I don't really have anything set in stone for next year. I would like to cruise at least once as platinum on DCL...geez I at least deserve my free Palo meal. I'll wait for a good GT rate on something. We want to go to Europe in the near future, and I really can't afford DCL for that.

Nope, DCL is easily the best Line out there.

The change to the alcohort policy is a disappointment but the other lines nickel and dines is more of a issue to us.

AKK

I'm booked in an 00T for Sept 2016. If I wouldn't lose that deposit I'd likely dump it. The revised liquor policy is a factor in a multi-faceted overall feeling. I'm just not so impressed that I feel the need to spend a premium on a product that continually moves towards average at best.

Yup. Us too. Absolutely kicking ourselves for making the same mistake. We'll push it out , until we decide what to do.

Nope, DCL is easily the best Line out there.

The change to the alcohort policy is a disappointment but the other lines nickel and dines is more of a issue to us.

AKK

This always makes me cringe. On NCL, we didn't spend a single nickel of our own money onboard. Why? Because our booking included all drinks, all premium dining options, OBC and prepaid gratuities. It was still cheaper than DCL (considerably so), and I would argue there was more to do at night. Service was outstanding, and our butler could run circles around any DCL concierge team member.

My friend works for Celebrity, and I'm seriously considering then now. Why? Because $45 per person/day gets us each the premium drink package, free unlimited WiFi, prepaid gratuities, and a $300 OBC. Again. Can't see myself spending a dime of my own money, and it's still considerably cheaper than Disney.

If Disney wants to consider packages like these that offer an all inclusive feeling, we may consider returning at some point. But to have DCL agents to tell me to buy the DoD when I inquired about drink packages is plainly sophomoric. DCL's wine packages are among some of the worst selections/values at sea. The beer packages are hardly a deal at all, and again I argue minimal selection. Sadly, if DCL wants to be more inline with "industry standards," I encourage them to look towards Celebrity and NCL. They could learn a thing or two.

Yup. Us too. Absolutely kicking ourselves for making the same mistake. We'll push it out , until .

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

This always makes me cringe. On NCL, we didn't spend a single nickel of our own money onboard. Why? Because our booking included all drinks, all premium dining options, OBC and prepaid gratuities. It was still cheaper than DCL (considerably so), and I would argue there was more to do at night. Service was outstanding, and our butler could run circles around any DCL concierge team member.

My friend works for Celebrity, and I'm seriously considering then now. Why? Because $45 per person/day gets us each the premium drink package, free unlimited WiFi, prepaid gratuities, and a $300 OBC. Again. Can't see myself spending a dime of my own money, and it's still considerably cheaper than Disney.

If Disney wants to consider packages like these that offer an all inclusive feeling, we may consider returning at some point. But to have DCL agents to tell me to buy the DoD when I inquired about drink packages is plainly sophomoric. DCL's wine packages are among some of the worst selections/values at sea. The beer packages are hardly a deal at all, and again I argue minimal selection. Sadly, if DCL wants to be more inline with "industry standards," I encourage them to look towards Celebrity and NCL. They could learn a thing or two.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

Frankly the drinking isn't a the important issue. I am reading many people are still staying with DCL.

The nichel and diming so common on other lines is. Especailly NCL, unless like yourself you are able to buy all the bells and whistle up front.

The specail magic and pixie dust we find on all DCL cruises is important.

The Classic lines and theming of the vessels is important.

The joy in the kids faces.

We find DCL specail cruises, found no where else is worth money. Since they don't have problems.booking there vessels, thousands of other passingers feel the same way.

Etc, etc, etc.

However, I am the first one to say, if someone is not happy on DCL, go to another Line.

It would be foolish not to change.

AKK

Last edited:
Having had a week to think it over I'm amending my initial answer...(I had said I wouldn't cancel only because we have non-refundable airfare).

I still wouldn't cancel the cruise I have despite the airfare issue. We paid what I feel is a fair price for our cruise by booking it on opening day. The current OGT offer is still $1500 more than what we paid for a 5B verandah so yes, I feel like I got a 'deal'. I have spent 17 months planning and budgeting and working hours of overtime. I have FE gifts prepared, magnets for our door and custom t-shirts for the kids. More time than I care to admit has been spent in planning for this cruise. More fool me.

Then I also remembered how the OBB policy was changed right before our 2013 cruise. We were crushed as that change meant no on board booking for us as we wouldn't have been able (read: afford!) to cruise again within the 18 month limit. Now that they've amended that policy to 24 months, I have money budgeted to book a future cruise...

...except now I'm not interested.

If needed, we'll use that budgeted money to pay for the additional drinks that we may or may not buy to take back to our stateroom. There won't be much spent though because basically I'm too lazy to get off my balcony chair so will probably just not drink. That's how I roll.

And once we're back from our cruise, we will start looking for where we will receive the most value for our vacation dollars. It could possibly be Disney, but I doubt it based on the last round of opening day fares. And if they want me (read: my money), they will have to fight to win me back. I have strayed onto other cruise line websites and my eyes have been opened. There's an RCL cruise during spring break 2017 (told you we plan ahead!) that is sending us some serious come hither looks.

So no, it's not about booze being a big part of our life. It's about planning and saving and anticipating certain benefits that were in place when you handed over your hard earned money...and then losing one (or more) of those benefits with nothing more than a 'too bad, so sad' reply (for those that actually got a reply...which is more than I have).

DCL has the right to change their policies on their terms. And I have the right to take my money elsewhere.

And they lived happily ever after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter