I would avoid Skybus

I'll speculate the major creditors knew bankruptcy was coming. The fact that the two leading executives "bailed ship" was a clue.
Well the OP "knew" the bankruptcy was coming. The trick was knowing when, and avoiding being one of the folks left holding the bag. Some executives got out beforehand, some creditors got paid beforehand, some customers avoided booking beforehand, etc. Others didn't.

My point is it's probably not feasible for an airline like Skybus to make an advance announcement, even ignoring possible legal reasons. Assuming 50% of the passengers are starting their trip load factors might not be high enough to cover the cost of fuel. No-shows by FA, who don't want to be "stranded" may make it impossible to fly some flights. Assume 50% of the FA are heading home, the other half might not be willing to fly unless Skybus gave them a return ticket from another airline.
An airline like Skybus probably has to stop flying as soon it's time to make a public announcement.

Creditors know how far behind the airline is in making payments. Creditors, being asked to extend terms, may have access to interim financial information reports. Creditors have access to more information then the general public.

Well the OP "knew" the bankruptcy was coming. The trick was knowing when, and avoiding being one of the folks left holding the bag. Some executives got out beforehand, some creditors got paid beforehand, some customers avoided booking beforehand, etc. Others didn't.

The OP posted at the beginning of April, I'm sure well after most of the stranded people purchased their tickets. These days, there's a fine line to walk between getting the lowest price by purchasing in advance, yet not purchasing so far in advance that your airline will go under before you get to fly. Of course, there were probably some people who bought tickets five minutes before they went out of business as well.

I'd be curious how many people are changing WHEN they buy their tickets, to try and avoid as much of this as possible.

There is always Travel Insurance. If you cannot get Travel Insurance for a specific airline, then you probably don't want to buy the airline tickets in the first place. If you can buy Travel Insurance, and don't want to spend the extra money, then recognize that you're self-insuring against the possible loss we see folks experiencing here.

There is always Travel Insurance. If you cannot get Travel Insurance for a specific airline, then you probably don't want to buy the airline tickets in the first place. If you can buy Travel Insurance, and don't want to spend the extra money, then recognize that you're self-insuring against the possible loss we see folks experiencing here.

Several other airlines accommodated Skybus passengers, $50 for standby. I think this is more a discussion of "what's fair". Should Skybus have given notice? I don't think they could have.

Assume your trip isn't for a few months. I know travel insurance will assist you with a refund, although your credit card will do the same thing. Will travel insurance cover the higher cost of purchasing a replacement ticket from another airline? I'm not sure, I never thought it did. I think it will cover the cost of getting you home, and additional hotel if your trip is interrupted

There is always Travel Insurance.

I think it will cover the cost of getting you home, and additional hotel if your trip is interrupted

According to the Columbus Dispatch, most travel insurance, including the kind sold by Skybus will *not* pay for hotel, cost of getting you home, etc. if your trip is interrupted because the airline goes out of business. It would if your flight was cancelled due to weather or mechanical troubles, but not because of default.

Here's the article: http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...s_qa.ART_ART_04-06-08_A1_BI9RK7L.html?sid=101 (See second question)

Well, the Dispatch article ONLY covers one insurance policy. I just did a quick check on insuremytrip.com and you can buy insurance that covers bankruptcy IF the airline is NOT in bankruptcy when you book the trip.

Here's the AIG Travelguard policy I just checked there...
Trip Cancellation and Interruption
The Insurer will reimburse the Insured, as described below, if a Trip is canceled or interrupted for the Insured due to any of the following Unforeseen circumstances: (a) Sickness, Injury, or death of an Insured, Immediate Family Member, Traveling Companion, or Business Partner. Injury or Sickness must be so disabling as to reasonably cause a Trip to be canceled or interrupted; (b) Inclement Weather causing delay or cancellation of travel; (c) Strike resulting in complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or Destination. A Strike is foreseeable on the date labor union members vote to approve a Strike and is not covered under the policy; (d) the Insured's principal residence or Destination being made Uninhabitable by fire, flood, or similar Natural Disaster, vandalism, or burglary; (e) the Insured or a Traveling Companion being subpoenaed, required to serve on a jury, hijacked, or quarantined; (f) a Terrorist Incident in a City listed on the Insured's itinerary within 30 days of the Insured's scheduled arrival. "City" means an incorporated municipality having defined borders and does not include the high seas, uninhabited areas, or airspace; (g) Financial Default of an airline, cruise line, or tour operator resulting in the complete cessation of services. Financial Default occurring on or before the Insured's coverage effective date or less than fourteen days after the Insured's coverage effective date will not be covered. This coverage applies only if insurance was purchased within fifteen calendar days of Initial Trip payment.

I buy my trip insurance from TravelGuard and they cover financial default as long as you buy it within 15 days of purchasing your tickets, and the airline isn't on their "alert" list.

Not related to financial default but we had our flights canceled three years ago on our way to a cruise, we ended up having to fly out of a different airport and on a different airline two days later and we were reimbursed for the cost of the new tickets which were significantly higher than our original tickets (this was through the cruiseline insurance at the time).

Well, the Dispatch article ONLY covers one insurance policy. I just did a quick check on insuremytrip.com and you can buy insurance that covers bankruptcy IF the airline is NOT in bankruptcy when you book the trip.

Sorry about that. My mistake. I believe there was a companion article in the paper version of the Dispatch that talked about the ins and outs of travel insurance. I believe in that article they said that you should not assume it's included because it often isn't (but I can't find that article online). I usually "take my chances" and have been lucky so far, so I am definitely not an expert on travel insurance.

Yes, you have to compare coverages carefully when buying travel insurance. That's why I like the insuremytrip website - it lets you compare many different policies with many different companies so you can get the one that best fits your needs.

I've used Travel Guard for any overseas trips, as much for the medical coverage as the trip coverage, since my health insurance is only good in the U.S.. I do always check the list of excluded airlines before making any flight plans and always buy the insurance within the 14 day window (again, more for the health portion, as they can exclude anything they consider a pre-existing condition if you don't buy within 14 days) and so far, I haven't seen any of my favorite airlines on the list. But they don't just put them on the list for possible financial default. If an airline is having labor trouble and a strike could be called, that's enough to get them on the "do not insure" list. So I wouldn't assume that any airline on the list is about to go under - it would simply raise a red flag to me that I needed to do a little more research if that airline was my only option.

Personally I am AMAZED that any airline is giving you the $50 standby fares. The folks flying Skybus tend to be the "cheapest" at all time flyers. So I don't see the airlines getting any return loyal customers from this. Next time someone shows up with"too good to be true" fares these customers are GONE LOL!

IMHO, that was a very elitist thing to say. :confused:

I do not hold any Skybus tickets, but I feel sorry for the folks who do. I also don't think that anyone trying to get a deal on a vacation is "cheap" and has no loyalty.

My DH and I travel often. I can say hands down the WORST customer service I've ever had was with Continental Airlines. I was stranded for 3 days. NOT because of weather or mechanical difficulties but because the plane that was supposed to take me home was stuck in air traffic in Newark. You know WHEN I found out my plane was stuck? After my departure time had come and gone. Until then, there was no one at the gate to give updates and the air board showed "On time". Meanwhile, I sat in the airport, fat and happy, reading a book while USair flights to Charlotte took off around me. I could have gotten home from Charlotte, but Continental didn't have the decency to tell me I was stranded. :mad: And when they finally did have share that little tidbit with us, they added that the flight was sold out for the next 3 days. It cost me $700.00 of my money to get home. I called Continental to complain and could not get past the first tier of customer service reps. They absolutly refused to transfer me above that point.

Or how'bout USair. I had two tickets to Bridgetown, Barbados. We were going away for DH's birthday in February. I showed up, checked in and guess where the ticket agent booked me to....?Bemidji, Minnisota..:scared1: The only reason I caught it was the connections ( which I was told had changed :confused: ) looked really wrong. By the time that mess was sorted out, I'd missed the only flight to Barbados for the day.

My point is, to have the attitude that if you book cheap airfare, expect this, is wrong. In my experience, every single airline has as bad customer service as the next. Not one of them cares about customer service and good luck to all of us.

My next flight is Delta out of Atlanta to Bonaire. ( $900.00 tickets folks- which flies once a week :scared1: ). I leave on a Saturday, but am using extra money from my pocket to fly in Friday and spend the night at an airport hotel. Why? Because if my flight from Charleston to Atlanta gets delayed, I'm screwed and I know Delta could care less.

I have no loyalty to the airlines, as they have none to me, a customer. I wish the Skybus folks the best of luck with their refunds and thier standbys. If you were on a tight budget trying to get a summer trip this year, that sucks and I'm sorry.

IMHO, that was a very elitist thing to say. :confused:

I do not hold any Skybus tickets, but I feel sorry for the folks who do. I also don't think that anyone trying to get a deal on a vacation is "cheap" and has no loyalty.

I have no loyalty to the airlines, as they have none to me, a customer. I wish the Skybus folks the best of luck with their refunds and thier standbys. If you were on a tight budget trying to get a summer trip this year, that sucks and I'm sorry.

Thank you tammymacb! I've been watching this thread because I DID hold Skybus tickets and I was hoping that someone might post some helpful ideas for those of us tightwads who bought tickets and have now lost our money. But no such luck.

Thank you tammymacb! I've been watching this thread because I DID hold Skybus tickets and I was hoping that someone might post some helpful ideas for those of us tightwads who bought tickets and have now lost our money. But no such luck.

Contact your credit card company. You'll probably get a refund. Did you use a debit card with a V or MC logo? Contact your bank, some banks are giving those people a refund.

Carol's post isn't elitist. Her point is very valid. Most passengers who used Skybus booked based on price ONLY. Not the kind of passengers that are likely show loyalty to any carrier.

I was accused of being anti-Skybus every time I warned posters that the airline wasn't long for the world, and to check all the hidden fees to make sure you're saving real money. More then one poster was very unhappy with the rental car rates.

My favorite posts were the customers who said how good the Skybus service was. I don't think any company that doesn't have a published phone number can provide good service. A company wants to save money and not have a toll free number---no problem.

Personally I am AMAZED that any airline is giving you the $50 standby fares. The folks flying Skybus tend to be the "cheapest" at all time flyers. So I don't see the airlines getting any return loyal customers from this. Next time someone shows up with"too good to be true" fares these customers are GONE LOL!

Actually, that is not true at all. I know several people who have well-paying jobs and are generous with their funds that flew Skybus several times for various reasons. For example, assisting with local economy. Having an airline based here in Columbus was great for our airport and our city. Some of my friends and collegues flew Skybus when they could to help the business get a foothold and get going. Also, I've heard good reviews about the service at least for the Columbus flyers. Maybe others in other cities have had different experiences. Another bonus was the alternate airports. I have a friend who was able to fly Columbus to St. Augustine non-stop on Skybus.

As others have posted only a few seats were "cheap." I did price Skybus for our May trip to Florida. It would have come out to about $150 per person round trip. Not the $20 that seems to get the big press.

Actually, that is not true at all. I know several people who have well-paying jobs and are generous with their funds that flew Skybus several times for various reasons.
Outliers never drive a market. Indeed, outliers always must accept that the market will often treat them as if they're typical.

As others have posted only a few seats were "cheap." I did price Skybus for our May trip to Florida. It would have come out to about $150 per person round trip. Not the $20 that seems to get the big press.
Any time a jet aircraft lifts its wheels off the ground, with you on-board, and you paid less than $275 round-trip, the airfare was "cheap".

Outliers never drive a market. Indeed, outliers always must accept that the market will often treat them as if they're typical.

Any time a jet aircraft lifts its wheels off the ground, with you on-board, and you paid less than $275 round-trip, the airfare was "cheap".

Actually, it depends on where you are traveling.

Carol's post isn't elitist. Her point is very valid. Most passengers who used Skybus booked based on price ONLY. Not the kind of passengers that are likely show loyalty to any carrier.

Oh, I'm sorry. I must have misunderstood. She ( LOL'd ) about not understanding why any airlines would give a hand to folks who were stuck or about to lose their vacations, especially since they were the cheapest kind of people with no loyalty. If elitist doesn't discribe the statement, maybe I should have used mean spirited?
:rolleyes:

Oh, I'm sorry. I must have misunderstood. She ( LOL'd ) about not understanding why any airlines would give a hand to folks who were stuck or about to lose their vacations, especially since they were the cheapest kind of people with no loyalty. If elitist doesn't discribe the statement, maybe I should have used mean spirited?
:rolleyes:

I am sorry, but I fail to see why you expect the other airlines to "bail" you out. The people who flew skybus voted with their pocketbooks. "We want cheap" When Skybus was cheaper the SW, USAir, Delta etc off they went and now they want "rewards"? :rotfl2: You want these airlines to fly you home or to your vacation for less then cost? And will you remember that NEXT time and book with them when it costs $20 more or will you go "Well Bubba airlines is cheaper so let's save that money" Probably the latter.....

Lets examine that model. Skybus flew you there for less then cost. And now... Skybus is "skybust" So... let's get USAir, SW etc to honor those tickets where they have NO hope of getting any cash? Sure what's a few more bankrupt airlines LOL!

And there is NO relationship that I know of between what you MAKE and what you pay to fly. This isn't a "sliding" scale industry. Theres nothing "elite" about it. Rich people can be cheap too LOL! (Probably how they got to be rich) I have never seen any corrrelation between income and airfare. It's not like people making more then others want to spend it on airfare LOL!

Posters on this very board have been pointing out the "skybus" model issues from Day 1. We got flamed because "it has lots of funding" etc. and told we were just mean. Hmm.... I would never have flown them because I didn't think this model was going to work and I would not have wanted to accept what I viewed as a HIGH risk that this very thing would happen. When you booked "too good to be true" then you were accepting that risk.

Again, I don't hold Skybus tickets and I don't expect a "bailout".

However I do believe your post was mean spirited and unnecessary and I hope when you have the unfortunate issue of being *stuck* by your airline ( and most travelers do ) you are treated with more compassion than you show.

BTW, next time you may want to read the posts before you answer them.

I guess I am cheap and do not spend enough time researching airlines before I plan my vacation.. stupid I guess that when they added a route from Richmond I did not figure they were going under.. Oh well I guess I deserve to lose my $$.. Thanks for pointing it out..:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter