I would avoid Skybus

I read on slickdeals that JetBlue (and apparently US Air) is offering stranded Skybus passengers $50 flights to get home although I think it's standby only but what a great offer because they're certainly not obligated (although it may gain them some loyal customers:)).

And some people with future flights are having luck getting refunded right away, Chase is one that I've seen mentioned. Both my cc companies said I had to file a dispute and they would be sending out paperwork that I have to sign and return. I don't have much invested and I knew I was taking a chance when I bought the tickets so if I get the money back I'll be happy but otherwise I'm not counting on it.

I have 5 flights and they folded tonight, I booked with a bank card with a Visa logo, anyone have ideas of what I should do?

I'm in the same boat as you. I booked 6 r/t tickets for my family vacation in June. 2 of which were for friends of my children.

Because I used a bank card I am out all of my $$, they said I could file with bankrupcy court.. Yea, like I know how to do that..:headache:

Who said that? I used my debit card too.

It is Suntrust I will try.. Also it is less than $1000.00 so I think I am pretty much out of luck.:sad1:

I bank at SunTrust too. I called the security department this afternoon. They took my info and said they would send me a dispute form via email and that I should fill it out and fax it back and then they would work with skybus to get my money refunded.

There was a wait to speak to a rep. She said the reason being is because they were filing so many disputes from people who purchased tickets from skybus.

I'm just sick about this :sick:

I had my tickets on a BofA credit card. I called today to file for the refund and their automated options had a selection if you were filing for a refund for Aloha Air tickets. I guess they havent got a chance to add prompts for ATA and Skybus yet! The BofA rep said they are very busy with airline refund calls now! :eek:

I'm in the same boat as you. I booked 6 r/t tickets for my family vacation in June. 2 of which were for friends of my children.

Who said that? I used my debit card too.

I bank at SunTrust too. I called the security department this afternoon. They took my info and said they would send me a dispute form via email and that I should fill it out and fax it back and then they would work with skybus to get my money refunded.

There was a wait to speak to a rep. She said the reason being is because they were filing so many disputes from people who purchased tickets from skybus.

I'm just sick about this :sick:

This is good to know, I called the Visa # not Suntrust directly..

I am at the Richmond, Va airport this morning for my flight to MCO on Delta and Skybus has closed up shop here.
I was talking to a United rep and he said all the Skybus employees came into work yesterday and had no idea they were out of business until they got here. There was a lot of angry people here yesterday.

I am on a 3 hour delay with Delta, but at least I still have a flight.
I woun't get to WDW until 1pm now :mad:

Good lock to all you people who have tickets on Skybus.

I read on slickdeals that JetBlue (and apparently US Air) is offering stranded Skybus passengers $50 flights to get home although I think it's standby only but what a great offer because they're certainly not obligated (although it may gain them some loyal customers:)).

AirTran is now also offering $50 one-way tickets to stranded Skybust passengers so at least some people will be helped by this offer.

AirTran is now also offering $50 one-way tickets to stranded Skybust passengers so at least some people will be helped by this offer.

Skybust... LOL!!! A truer name I have never heard!

And so it would have been the folks who flew twelve hours earlier than you who encountered this circumstance instead of you. The same end-result overall. Again, it sucks that this happened, but this is the risk we all take when we engage in an industry that is cut so close to the bone.

I don't think that's the case. The PP was of the opinion that anyone flying on the first half of a return ticket, where the return would be AFTER they ceased operation, should have been notified at check in that there was a good probability that there would not be a return flight, so they could choose not to go. It wouldn't have necessarily rippled the effect backward, because only those people who were flying outbound before and inbound after the cessation would be affected. I wonder how many people on the very last flight were on the outbound flight for their vacation? You know that SOMEONE had to know that was going to be the last flight.

Of course, it always pays to have some emergency money as a backup in case something goes wrong with your vacation anyway. Although most of my vacations are drive trips, when I fly, I try to have enough money in the bank to cover any contingencies I can think of - whether airline, hotel, or whatever. If someone is flying on a $50 ticket, and doesn't have the funds to cover a walk up ticket should they need one, then maybe they should be postponing their trip for a while. It's not just because of airlines going out of business. What if you are ready to fly home, you're bumped from an oversold flight, and all the flights for the next few days are oversold as well? You might want the flexibility to book with another carrier so you can get home on time, and it very well may cost more than the ticket you're holding.

I think another thing might be getting lost in the mix, here: I believe it is illegal to warn customers before warning creditors, through the Chapter 11 or Chapter 13 filing.

Generally, businesses aren't "out to get" us. Rather, they're simply doing what they're supposed to do, and that isn't necessarily what is best for us.

If the pilots don't get in the way, Northwest could end up merged with Delta. If that happens, you'll probably see one of Northwest's hubs (most likely Memphis) cut back big-time (in favor of Atlanta).

Personally I am AMAZED that any airline is giving you the $50 standby fares. The folks flying Skybus tend to be the "cheapest" at all time flyers. So I don't see the airlines getting any return loyal customers from this. Next time someone shows up with"too good to be true" fares these customers are GONE LOL!

Personally I am AMAZED that any airline is giving you the $50 standby fares. The folks flying Skybus tend to be the "cheapest" at all time flyers. So I don't see the airlines getting any return loyal customers from this. Next time someone shows up with"too good to be true" fares these customers are GONE LOL!

They're also offering $10 standby fares to Skybus employees who are stuck.

I don't think the airlines are going to get loyalty from former Skybus passengers, who might pay a premium are of $1, but rather a source of just "good press" for the airline.

I don't think the airlines are going to get loyalty from former Skybus passengers, who might pay a premium are of $1, but rather a source of just "good press" for the airline.

Good point, plus I think these are "standby" fares. Most of the flights I am on lately have few if any seats for standbys....

I checked with US Air yesterday about re-booking my return with them, but the agent I spoke with told me that "US Air does not have a code share with Skybus." She knew nothing about the $50 stand-by fares. Don't know what the was about...

I did make it back to North Carolina early this morning. I lucked out and knew someone who happen to be driving thru yesterday. Ended up driving 20 hours yesterday (had to take my rental back to Chicago) and got 3 hours of sleep, but I'm home!

That's what I was thinking, the value to the airlines is in the "good press" not in actually helping people and getting repeat customers.

That's what I was thinking, the value to the airlines is in the "good press" not in actually helping people and getting repeat customers.

Good press may gain new customers, or win back some of those they lost.

What's missed is Skybus also "stranded" employees. Skybus may have had difficulty getting flight attendants to get on the plane if they were told they'd be on their own to get home. Once the announcement was made passengers would be bailing and getting FAs to work might be troublesome. There probably wasn't any way to give passengers a "heads up".

I'll speculate the major creditors knew bankruptcy was coming. The fact that the two leading executives "bailed ship" was a clue.

I think another thing might be getting lost in the mix, here: I believe it is illegal to warn customers before warning creditors, through the Chapter 11 or Chapter 13 filing.

Generally, businesses aren't "out to get" us. Rather, they're simply doing what they're supposed to do, and that isn't necessarily what is best for us.

I checked with US Air yesterday about re-booking my return with them, but the agent I spoke with told me that "US Air does not have a code share with Skybus." She knew nothing about the $50 stand-by fares. Don't know what the was about...

I did make it back to North Carolina early this morning. I lucked out and knew someone who happen to be driving thru yesterday. Ended up driving 20 hours yesterday (had to take my rental back to Chicago) and got 3 hours of sleep, but I'm home!

Glad you were able to get back. I feel bad that I probably won't be seeing the $300 I spent in airfare, but I'm glad that this happened two months prior to my trip. There's still time for me to create a new plan.

Unfortunately, too many customers are driven by low prices, not based on what they have received from the airline in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter