• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I would avoid Skybus

Why does anyone have to be loyal to an airline?
Some people think that they are, and think that the airlines should treat them better as a result. The reality is practically no one actually is and therefore the airlines should treat them like everyone else, i.e., based on the assumption that passengers will focus on price over all other factors, including service.

Skybus model was seriously flawed.

extremely flawed. The only concepts they borrowed from Ryanair were sell cheap, use smaller airports, and nickel and dime your pax, nothing else.

They flew city pairs that weren't served (for a reason. RyanAir flies to cities relevant to both leisure and business pax), had new planes and the expense associate as such (Ryanair started small with a single route and turboprop aircraft and worked their way up), and operated from investors money as opposed to their own revenue.

They were dead before they started. Someone just needed to tell them that.

Some people think that they are, and think that the airlines should treat them better as a result. The reality is practically no one actually is and therefore the airlines should treat them like everyone else, i.e., based on the assumption that passengers will focus on price over all other factors, including service.
hmmm... I thought I was (well, as of Nov 07, I thought.. lol. sorry for the old screenshot, but it's easier than taking a new one and blurring out my details)

aa-page-clean.jpg

That's why I said "practically no one", Robert.

And how many passengers are like you, Robert? Not bloody many.

Let me try to explain that 'quote'....
on many other boards, here on the DIS, there is much magic and pixiedust, much silliness and all out good old fun. I like fun as much as the next person, and I've been told I'm a pixiedust spreader! But...here on the Transportation board, we talk of airline travel, discounts that may be available, the best way to deal with the TSA and security..etc. These types of things are extremely important....if misinformation is given, even in jest, it could ruin someone's trip. So, we try to hand out good info, as best we can while trying to have a bit of fun. A lot of people come here to get insights into how to solve an issue with the airlines. Sometimes that person is looking for the impossible, and they are given the facts that support that. Sometimes though, the poster is looking to be made to feel better or is looking for a completely different answer, even though that answer may not be a good one. We don't do a lot of hugging around here. If we do, we do it via PMs. We all want everyone to have a great travel experience. But sometimes our posts are misinterpreted and perceived to be harsh or unfeeling. Nothing could be further from the truth....we're just trying to be accurate and realistic.
I'm sorry if there are some that disagree with this type philosophy...but it seems to work pretty well here, for the most part.

Well from now on I think I'll go get my hugs from my other cheap peeps on the budget board.

Well from now on I think I'll go get my hugs from my other cheap peeps on the budget board.

Sorry to see you go. Hopefully you will receive accurate advice as well as those hugs. Not many of the travel experts post over there.

Best of luck :)

over on flyertalk.com he is pretty much the norm, actually.... I flew over 200,000 miles last year

I'm another who is loyal to an airline (or at least alliance). I'll fly with them even if they are more expensive and/or chose a fare that gives me points rather than a cheaper fare that doesn't (within reason, of course). The 'perks' that I get are worth it.

Exactly! I am extremely loyal to Star Alliance. My trip today once again proved how certain airlines treat their loyal customers :)

I will pay more for the benefits and the service I receive. It is worth it to me.

Why does anyone have to be loyal to an airline?

Why should the airline now fly you home or on vacation for free or cheap simply because Skybus shut down?

And Bicker, I am another one of those with LOTS of miles. There are more of us "road warriors" then you realize! LOL!

But wait... you may not be getting those refunds. Maybe you will get those flights. (Personally I think this is a crazy idea, but it was in the USAToday)

Skybus founder 'working on a plan' to revive carrier
Skybus founder John Weikle is "working on a plan" to get the ultra-low-cost carrier back in the air again, according to the News & Record of Greensboro, N.C. Weikle's comments on reviving Skybus came just days after the carrier halted flights, stranded passengers and declared bankruptcy. "John Weikle said Monday night from Dayton, Ohio, that he had been working all weekend to build a team that could reorganize the airline and restore service," the News & Record writes. "I wrote a letter to the board today and said we've got to find a way to save this — save these 450 jobs," Weikle tells the paper.

How does he plan to do it? Weikle says the carrier still has about $10 million in cash to work with, which he believes will be enough seed money to lure new investors. The News & Record writes "Weikle is working with Mark Sparling, his vice president for finance during the founding of Skybus. Sparling and Weikle left Skybus not long before it began operations because they disagreed with the board’s direction and its choice for chief executive officer, Bill Diffenderffer." Stay tuned ...

Maybe because I live near Boston and have seen many airlines enter and leave our "end point" market, I can't get too worked up over Skybus becoming Skybust. We've had Allegiant try and fail in Worcester, Pan AM fail twice at Pease, Eastern go poof, USAir cut most of the former Piedmont flights after acquisition, Delta forget that it's legacy here (Northeast Airlines merger) is as a Florida carrier, etc.

It's great while it lasts and I took advantage of Skybus to fly a daughter who goes to college near Greensboro back and forth for $50 to $60 each way on average.

I'm a loyal flyer like some of you who posted on this thread (2 million miler on Delta, 1 million miler on United), but also realize you don't get the perks you used to on the legacy carriers. Regional jets have greatly reduced the upgrade chances on the shorter flights and the fees on the supposedly "free" travel perks have been creeping in.

As CarolA said and I paraphrase - rich and poor people can be cheap when it comes to flying. I'm definitely cheap, but also realize you can't get something for nothing for long without changes happening that you may not like :cloud9:

But wait... you may not be getting those refunds. Maybe you will get those flights. (Personally I think this is a crazy idea, but it was in the USAToday)

Skybus founder 'working on a plan' to revive carrier
Skybus founder John Weikle is "working on a plan" to get the ultra-low-cost carrier back in the air again, according to the News & Record of Greensboro, N.C. Weikle's comments on reviving Skybus came just days after the carrier halted flights, stranded passengers and declared bankruptcy. "John Weikle said Monday night from Dayton, Ohio, that he had been working all weekend to build a team that could reorganize the airline and restore service," the News & Record writes. "I wrote a letter to the board today and said we've got to find a way to save this — save these 450 jobs," Weikle tells the paper.

How does he plan to do it? Weikle says the carrier still has about $10 million in cash to work with, which he believes will be enough seed money to lure new investors. The News & Record writes "Weikle is working with Mark Sparling, his vice president for finance during the founding of Skybus. Sparling and Weikle left Skybus not long before it began operations because they disagreed with the board’s direction and its choice for chief executive officer, Bill Diffenderffer." Stay tuned ...

That was the rumor going around a group I was speaking with on Sunday (I live in Columbus). The other thing that was discussed was the fact that Skybus was very against the Pilots wanting a Union and would not allow that to happen. I dont know how true any of that is, but I think people would be nuts to try it again. I agree with everyone who stated that the model was flawed from the beginning. I am as "cheap" as the next person, but a bad plan is still a bad plan. I told DH that he and I could fly them, but I would not take the kids(we have 4). The reason for no kids, was I could afford 2 tickets if something went wrong, but not 6.
I am sorry for anyone who got stuck. It is a terrible thing for the local economy. But I can not see welcoming them back with open arms.

Why? It is an interesting conversation, and if you don't like it, others may actually find something of value here.

When Canada 3000 shut down, they stranded their passengers all over the world, not just North America. It was a difficult time for those people, who did not have the ability to find an international carrier willing to take them home. Nor did they receive refunds for their expenses.

The Skybus tale is a lesson learned for many travellers, just like the Canada 3000 story and many like it before.

Skybus was a relatively small airline; Canada 3000 was the 2nd largest airline in Canada with more than 40 aircraft, and routes all over the world. Their passengers didn't receive much assistance, and for those at Canada 3000 international destinations they were definitely out of luck:

Air Canada said it would let stranded Canada 3000 passengers buy one-way tickets to return home at 50 per cent off Air Canada's normal rates. For those Canada 3000 travellers who haven't started their travel, Air Canada said it would allow them to buy tickets without the normal advance booking restrictions that usually apply to discounted tickets.

WestJet said it would not directly honour Canada 3000 tickets, but would "assist those Canada 3000 passengers who have been stranded." WestJet said it has seats available for travel this weekend.

Air Transat said it would offer Canada 3000 customers "preferential rates" and would add flights and capacity in Toronto and Montreal.

Tour operator Signature Vacations said it would fly home its stranded passengers at its expense.

Via Rail will not honour Canada 3000 tickets, but will add extra cars on some routes

The Skybus passengers who do manage to get the $50 fares from other airlines are actually extremely fortunate, as there is no requirement for US carriers to do this for those travellers. Hopefully some of them will in fact become loyal to the carrier who helps them while they are stranded.

I really did try and be pleasant and I don't understand the hoopla on this thread. I actually went back and read it twice to try and understand

However if you don't like what someone has to say, you have a few choices
  • don't read the thread
  • put the person on ignore
  • report the post to a moderator

I consider this board to be one of the most fairly moderated, and enjoy the discussion about travel topics. Many others do as well

I'm sorry that you haven't enjoyed your time here, but it has been an interesting discussion about a very relavent topic. (Personally, I believe that we will see at least one more US carrier fold in the coming months, and many readers are trying to determine how it may impact them)

Hopefully you will find other threads here that you do enjoy :)

I'm also inclined to think that one of the six 'legacy carriers' will be gone by year's end; the current price of jet fuel is not making things any easier for them, and neither is our sinking economy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter