I will never go to WDW pushing a stroller! - Nov/Dec 2011 PTR, Final? Itinerary 11/18

I think the ADR time you have will work well for you...I would probably arrive a little bit early just to see if you can get seated a little earlier or to make sure you are seated at your actual ADR time...that will give you a little more wiggle room for finding a spot :thumbsup2

I actually had the opposite experience when I made my ADRs. I started in Firefox and kept getting errors and switched to Internet Explorer and it worked perfectly. Very odd. :confused3

I agree with everyone else, the 6:30 ADR should be about right. Do you have a favorite place to watch Illuminations from?

I think your ADR's look great!

We like Whispering Canyon a lot so I'm thinking it will be a winner for lunch, and I agree it would be much easier not to have to worry about an ADR on a party day.

I'm confused- why will you cancel dining reservations if you bring breakfast?

I also think you will be fine with the timing for your La Hacienda ADR. You'll be out by 8 pm at the latest, and there will be plenty of good spots left an hour out. I love to watch Illuminations from the bridge into Mexico or from Norway, and those are very close, you'd be able to get there quickly and stake out your spot.

Hmmm....6:30 ADR. Figure worst case you're seated at 7. About an hour or so to eat gets you to 8. Illuminations starts at 9. Depending on how good of a spot you want for Illuminations, I wouldn't go much past what you have.
Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like a good list! But why would you ever consider giving up a Le Cellier reservation? :confused3

I'm with Barry--I'd stick with that time at La Hacienda. Should be flexible enough to give you a good Illuminations spot.
Well, I've never been there yet so I don't know what I'll be missing.:confused3

I think your ADR time is good for getting a spot at Illuminations. You could try arriving for check-in a bit earlier and if they can fit you in, possibly get seated earlier. This may give you an extra 10 - 20 minutes to find a good spot.
Yeah, we'll probably try that. We usually try to get there for ADR's a little early anyway. So far I've never had any ridiculous waits for any meals.

I think the ADR time you have will work well for you...I would probably arrive a little bit early just to see if you can get seated a little earlier or to make sure you are seated at your actual ADR time...that will give you a little more wiggle room for finding a spot :thumbsup2
We will definitely do that, thanks!

I actually had the opposite experience when I made my ADRs. I started in Firefox and kept getting errors and switched to Internet Explorer and it worked perfectly. Very odd. :confused3

I agree with everyone else, the 6:30 ADR should be about right. Do you have a favorite place to watch Illuminations from?
Yeah, I have no idea if the Firefox/IE thing had anything to do with it. It might have been a glitch somewhere along the line that just happened to get fixed at the same time.

For Illuminations, the only place I've ever watched from has been between the gift shops between FW and WS. I've always thought it was a good spot but I wouldn't mind seeing it from another angle. Anywhere that we can get a good view of the lagoon will work for us.

I think your ADR's look great!

We like Whispering Canyon a lot so I'm thinking it will be a winner for lunch, and I agree it would be much easier not to have to worry about an ADR on a party day.

I'm confused- why will you cancel dining reservations if you bring breakfast?

I also think you will be fine with the timing for your La Hacienda ADR. You'll be out by 8 pm at the latest, and there will be plenty of good spots left an hour out. I love to watch Illuminations from the bridge into Mexico or from Norway, and those are very close, you'd be able to get there quickly and stake out your spot.
The reason that we would cancel those reservations is that we're doing QSDP, so if we don't end up using meal credits for breakfast, we'll be wasting credits. We love the dining plan and the convenience of it, but we prefer to pay out of pocket for TS, just because we like to be able to just go in and get an appetizer so that we can enjoy the atmosphere and theming of some of the TS restaurants even if we don't want to sit down and have a big full meal. I actually wish that they change the dining plan so that you aren't locked into certain categories of meals... something like you get so many points and then just give TS, QS and Snacks a certain point value, but I'm sure they've done the math and know how they're going to make money.:lmao:

The reason that we would cancel those reservations is that we're doing QSDP, so if we don't end up using meal credits for breakfast, we'll be wasting credits. We love the dining plan and the convenience of it, but we prefer to pay out of pocket for TS, just because we like to be able to just go in and get an appetizer so that we can enjoy the atmosphere and theming of some of the TS restaurants even if we don't want to sit down and have a big full meal. I actually wish that they change the dining plan so that you aren't locked into certain categories of meals... something like you get so many points and then just give TS, QS and Snacks a certain point value, but I'm sure they've done the math and know how they're going to make money.:lmao:

Ok, that totally makes sense! :thumbsup2 I didn't realize that you were doing QS!

Oh my gosh, could you just imagine if they instituted a point system! :scared1: People can barely understand the dining plan now! Maybe they could just offer it to Disney experts, as in you'd have to pass some sort of Disney knowledge test in order to qualify! :idea:

i-76zbd7b-M.gif

Ok, that totally makes sense! :thumbsup2 I didn't realize that you were doing QS!

Oh my gosh, could you just imagine if they instituted a point system! :scared1: People can barely understand the dining plan now! Maybe they could just offer it to Disney experts, as in you'd have to pass some sort of Disney knowledge test in order to qualify! :idea:
Yeah, I don't see how that would ever possibly work. It is just something that I would love to see happen.

Thank you! We had a great weekend. Went to my sister's on Saturday to celebrate Father's Day with my Dad and Grandpa, then we had DW's family over at our house yesterday. It was a lot of fun and it was great to spend some time with the family.

I want to post a mini-update that really has nothing to do with our upcoming trip. I think I mentioned earlier that there was a possibility that we might be going back to Disney World next year with my parents and sisters. At that point it was really an "up in the air" situation. I was talking to my Mom last week and she has been doing some extensive research. She knew all about the Animation resort and knew that they were starting to take reservations for late next year (she really wants to stay there). She also knew all the info about the Fantasyland Expansion. My mom is a Disney addict, and she is who I inherited this disease from, but she doesn't tend to hang around on the Disney information sites until she's planning a trip, so this tells me the wheels are really turning now. She's looking at going sometme just after Thanksgiving in 2012... (ironically, the SAME week we're going this year :lmao:). I just hope it works out with everyone's schedules and we are able to make it happen!

Anyway, I'm really excited about this and I hope it happens. I've never been able to take trips down to Disney World any closer than about 3 years apart, so going twice in 2 years would be AWESOME!!! :cool1: On top of that, I've always wanted to see Disney decorated for Christmas. That is part of the reason we picked this week for our trip this year. I'm really excited that we might be going back at the same time next year, because it will allow us to really just take it easy and we can maybe catch the CP and some of the other Christmas time special things that we miss this time.

And the schedule continues to change...

We went over our list of ADR's last night and made a few changes. DW decided that she wants to do Chef Mickey on our first day there. She told me this a few weeks ago, so I was able to score an ADR for 11:20 on 11/28. We'll just use that in place of our lunch ADR for WCC and eat a late breakfast instead. It means we will have to get up early and drive from St. Pete Beach and probably go straight to the Contemporary for breakfast before we head to WL to check in. So with that, here is the updated ADR list:

11/28: Chef Mickey 11:20 am**
11/29: WCC 1:20 pm**
11/30: Via Napoli 11:30 am
12/1: Tusker House 8:15 am**
12/2: Crystal Palace 8:10 am
12/3: Le Cellier 12:00 pm
12/3: Chef Mickey 6:15 pm

** Changes or additions

A few notes: First of all, DW really wants to allow for as many interactions with the Fab 5 as possible since DS LOVES Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. That is why we've added an ADR for Donald's Safari Breakfast. Additionally, we like the value of a buffet since DS will be eating off our plates and we're going to be eating TS out of pocket. Hopefully the characters being there to distract him and the immediate access to food will keep him content for long enough to allow us to enjoy our meals. The only thing would be that we might have to cancel if he decides a life-size Mickey isn't his thing. We're also going to keep the Chef Mickey dinner reservation for Saturday night, just in case we want to try dinner there too. I really hate to do the same place twice in the same stay, especially when there are so many places I've never been and want to try. That said, we already have that ADR and if he really seems to enjoy seeing the characters, that would still be a fun last thing to do before we leave. As long as DS is smiling and enjoying seeing the characters, that's all that really matters anyway. We can always do Tutto Italia, La Hacienda and other less entertaining restaurants when he's older.:thumbsup2 I guess we could look at Garden Grill or something else though... hmmm... I might still have to revisit this one later on. Does anybody know if Mickey is at Garden Grill? I know Chip and Dale are, but can't remember who else is with them.

We will most likely not be taking food with us to eat breakfast in the room, so we should have no problem using all of our QS credits with the ADRs we currently have. We decided to cancel our ADR for La Hacienda. We may do Illuminations earlier in the week now and therefore not be in EPCOT that evening. Also, I printed menus off for all the TS restaurants we were looking at, and DW decided she really didn't see anything there that she felt like she just had to try. When I showed her the Le Cellier menu, she immediately read the part about the cheese soup she wanted to try it. This is obviously the ADR that I feel most uncomfortable about DS being attentive for, but I must try to the cheese soup and decide for myself whether or not the Canada restaurant is as good as Captain_Oblvious says it it.:lmao:

I hope your Landon likes the characters. If he does, all those character meals should be a lot of fun.

I believe that the Garden Grill has Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale. We ate there once a few years ago. It was a really long meal. Service was very slow and we sat there for more than a full rotation. I'm nervous to bring my kids there now, even though it's likely it was just an off night.

We made a Le Cellier ADR, too, even though I had planned on skipping it, because of the boys. I'm going to bring some interesting diversions and ask for lots of bread sticks and hope for the best.

It's been a very long time since I ate at Garden Grill but Mickey, Chip, Dale and Pluto were there.

I've eaten at Le Cellier twice, first time DD was 7 months, second time DS was 7 months and DD 1 1/2 years. Neither visit went so great for us. We haven't gone back since - I'm not sure if it is because of the lighting (kinda dark) or what, but they have had no problem eating at Chefs de France, Coral Reef, Marrakesh - other non-character dining establishments.

I hope your Landon likes the characters. If he does, all those character meals should be a lot of fun.
I think we might be ok with them. We watched the Disney vacation video this weekend and he recognized Mickey and waved at him. As long as he doesn't freak out about the size, we should be fine.:thumbsup2

I've eaten at Le Cellier twice, first time DD was 7 months, second time DS was 7 months and DD 1 1/2 years. Neither visit went so great for us. We haven't gone back since - I'm not sure if it is because of the lighting (kinda dark) or what, but they have had no problem eating at Chefs de France, Coral Reef, Marrakesh - other non-character dining establishments.
That's a shame, I guess you're going to have good and bad experiences anywhere though. I try not to focus too much on reviews though, because I really want to experience all the restaurants myself.

We eat at table service type restaurants with Landon quite frequently. He's a typical toddler though... sometimes he's well behaved, all smiles, and sits and quietly eats. Other times... well, he's "that" toddler.:headache: You just never know which one to expect.:lmao::rotfl2:

Thank you both for the info on Garden Grill. I did look at ADR's for that evening, but they only had the earliest dinner slot available. Since we're eating lunch at LeCellier, I don't think that would be a good idea. I'll keep checking though and see if anything later opens up. If not, no big deal.

Independence Day Weekend

We had a busy weekend and it is translating into a busy week as well.

We have a drive-in theater about 15 min from home and we usually go there a couple of times each year. It is great because they always show 2 or 3 movies for the cost of a ticket to see 1 movie in the regular theater. Also, we can take Landon with us, and when he decides that he doesn't want to sit still and be quiet, he isn't bothering anyone.

We went Sunday night and met up with some friends and family. We had 4 vehicles parked side by side with people sitting in lawn chairs and on truck tailgates. The first movie was Cars 2 (which by the way, I thoroughly enjoyed, despite what the critics think). DS started out on the tailgate of my truck with my brother in law and me. He sat and quietly watched as the movie started, but then he needed to move around. We let him get down and he ran over to see his pappaw. He stayed there for a while and then ran back over to my truck. He went back and forth a few times, but then after I jumped out of the truck and started running around looking for him when I couldn't see where he was, DW went and did something that either makes us look like good parents or really lazy ones. They were selling glow in the dark necklaces at the concession stand so she went and bought a green one, which fit perfectly around his waist. With a glow in the dark necklace running through his belt loops, DS was free to run from place to place, visiting everyone and we could all see where he was. :thumbsup2

The good news, he stayed out late and was pretty well behaved with room to play and run around. The bad news, we tried to get him to go to sleep during the second movie and he wanted nothing to do with it. He was still awake when we left at about 1 am.:headache: This does not bode well for us getting him to nap in a stroller at Disney. It looks like quiet breaks to a dark room are going to be a definite requirement.

In some not so stellar news from this weekend, we found out that DS hates fireworks. He's seen them before and we even set some off at home just to see how he'd react before we took him to the big show on the 4th and he did ok so we didn't think it would be too bad. When we went to the show on the 4th, the fireworks started and he seemed to enjoy them at first, then he got a less than thrilled look on his face and then a few minutes into it, he was not a happy camper. Fortunately we were near a building and got him inside so that the noise was less intense and he calmed down. It will be interesting to see how he handles them in a few months.

When I showed her the Le Cellier menu, she immediately read the part about the cheese soup she wanted to try it. This is obviously the ADR that I feel most uncomfortable about DS being attentive for, but I must try to the cheese soup and decide for myself whether or not the Canada restaurant is as good as Captain_Oblvious says it it.:lmao:

::yes::::yes::

The soup is worth putting up with a few tantrums from DS.

Sorry he was having trouble with fireworks, though. Eventually he'll get to the point where he watches them with his hands over his ears, and then he'll learn to like them. Or end up in a strait jacket. One or the other.

A drive in movie theater sounds like the perfect place for toddlers. I wish we had one in town. I would think that it would be easier to sleep in a stroller than it would be to sleep at a drive in movie, so maybe there's still hope for that.

Too bad about the fireworks, though. I guess that will give you some good riding time, if you don't try to watch any. Of course, in a few months, anything could change.

::yes::::yes::

The soup is worth putting up with a few tantrums from DS.

Sorry he was having trouble with fireworks, though. Eventually he'll get to the point where he watches them with his hands over his ears, and then he'll learn to like them. Or end up in a strait jacket. One or the other.
I'm basing that ADR completely on what you have said about Le Cellier. That and if a restaurant is good enough to name a Fantasy Football team after, it has to be a pretty good meal.

Yeah, he'll either like them or he won't. :confused3 I guess we'll just need to be prepared to hide out somewhere during the fireworks during MVMCP, and maybe just catch the show from the Poly beach some night later in the week when we won't be at MVMCP. Maybe have to miss out on Illuminations too. No big deal, but I was really hoping to see it since DW and I skipped it last time we were there.

A drive in movie theater sounds like the perfect place for toddlers. I wish we had one in town. I would think that it would be easier to sleep in a stroller than it would be to sleep at a drive in movie, so maybe there's still hope for that.

Too bad about the fireworks, though. I guess that will give you some good riding time, if you don't try to watch any. Of course, in a few months, anything could change.
The Drive in is great! We're very lucky to have it so close to home. Hopefully he will nap for us, but I have only gotten him to fall asleep in his stroller once and that involved pushing him around in a dark building with no outside distractions... I'm not going to hold my breath.:lmao:

First of all, thanks to anyone who is still following along despite my lack of recent news. Now that we've made ADR's there really hasn't been much going on in the way of planning recently. I'm still looking into getting an ADR for the Garden Grill for our last afternoon, but so far I've only been able to get 4:20 pm and I'm thinking that 4 hours after we have lunch at Le Cellier is going to be way too soon to eat again. I'll keep checking back about that, but otherwise, I think our plans are pretty much set right now.

We're going to be going to an amusement park near Cincinnati next weekend called Kings Island to give DS a "trial run" day in a park to see how he handles everything. I'm sure he'll enjoy the rides, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like he'll be able to do too many. Disney definitely does a much better job of catering to families than most places.

Yeah, he'll either like them or he won't. :confused3 I guess we'll just need to be prepared to hide out somewhere during the fireworks during MVMCP, and maybe just catch the show from the Poly beach some night later in the week when we won't be at MVMCP. Maybe have to miss out on Illuminations too. No big deal, but I was really hoping to see it since DW and I skipped it last time we were there.

Earplugs help with fireworks. My older DD used them until she was 6, and the youngest is so used to them that she'll come and ask for them before movies or firework shows. They're also great for the 3D movies at WDW, by the way. Older DD was terrified even of Philharmagic without them but once we figured out it was the volume that was a problem she even enjoyed Tough to be a Bug.

And toddlers can be weird. On youngest DD's first trip, when she was 16mo, she fell asleep during Illuminations.

The Drive in is great! We're very lucky to have it so close to home. Hopefully he will nap for us, but I have only gotten him to fall asleep in his stroller once and that involved pushing him around in a dark building with no outside distractions... I'm not going to hold my breath.:lmao:

You might get lucky - mine doesn't nap in her stroller at all (or in the car seat, or anywhere other than a quiet room), but she did at WDW on both our trips. And if not, there will be other trips to keep a faster pace.

First of all, thanks to anyone who is still following along despite my lack of recent news. Now that we've made ADR's there really hasn't been much going on in the way of planning recently. I'm still looking into getting an ADR for the Garden Grill for our last afternoon, but so far I've only been able to get 4:20 pm and I'm thinking that 4 hours after we have lunch at Le Cellier is going to be way too soon to eat again. I'll keep checking back about that, but otherwise, I think our plans are pretty much set right now.

I'm right there with you in the planning lull. I have ADRs made and now all that's left is to watch and wait for the fall discounts and the CP packages. I haven't updated my PTR in forever!

We're going to be going to an amusement park near Cincinnati next weekend called Kings Island to give DS a "trial run" day in a park to see how he handles everything. I'm sure he'll enjoy the rides, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like he'll be able to do too many. Disney definitely does a much better job of catering to families than most places.

Yeah, we tried something like that... Just don't put too much stock in the "trial run" idea, okay? :rotfl: My youngest hated every minute of her first visit to Cedar Point and she is a kid who adores the Disney parks. I can't really blame her either - after a few Disney trips I'm pretty much hating on the who concrete-ocean, no-fastpasses, long-lines, few-family-attractions concept of the mainstream amusement park myself. :laughing: CP was great when I was a teenager and would make a fun day out with my teenage son if we left the baby at home, but it really doesn't have much to offer a toddler. Unless Kings' Island has changed a lot in the decade or so since I've been there I'd expect it to be much the same.

With a glow in the dark necklace running through his belt loops, DS was free to run from place to place, visiting everyone and we could all see where he was. :thumbsup2
Stick a cow bell on he neck and you're set for the entire night! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

We haven't been to our local drive-in a few years. The mosquitos start getting bad right about the time we want to go. Or when schedules do align so that we can go, they're showing horror movies or something.:sad2:

Le Cellier - the soup is worth it. And the bread sticks. We've made the soup at home a few times. It's not quite the same, but it's still sooooooo good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter