Discussion in 'Pre-Trip Reports and Plans' started by afwdwfan, Feb 21, 2011.
Just when you thought you could hide your PTR...here I am!!
Log in or Sign up to hide this advert.
Just found your PTR from the DDC. Cant wait to read more
I, officially know where I am staying next time!
There are some pincs of each on my trip report. We loved going during the holidays. Absolutely beautiful. As far as CP, it might be very tough to enjoy with a toddler, plus, you will wait in line FOREVER. The one day we were there, the line was forming 7 hours before the show!
Hi, glad you found it and stopped by! You seem to be good at finding the DIS Dad's in hiding!
Hi, good to have you here! I think we're kind of starting to lean away from CP. DW and I would love to see it, but if we go in 2012 with my parents, we will possibly be going during Christmas season then as well, so we might have an opportunity to see it then. At the same time, I don't think I've ever seen a show that can justify sitting for 7 hours waiting for it.
Thanks for the input! That's what I'm writing this PTR for!
I just wanted to post to say that I'm beginning to get concerned about the timing of this trip. I knew it could potentially cause problems when we booked it, but it was the only time under the discount that could really work for us.
The problem is that I work for an agribusiness and I farm a few hundred acres of my own outside of normal business hours as well as helping my Dad and uncle with their crops. If you aren't from the midwest, you may be unaware that we are in prime corn planting season and unable to plant as all of the fields look like lakes right now and looking at the forecast, it doesn't appear that the rain will let up anytime soon. The problem this could cause for our trip is that I've scheduled it for a time that typically would be just a couple of weeks after harvest ends. Even with a delayed planting into late May, I'm not worried about the prospect of our harvest not being done by Thanksgiving... most farmers (us included) can get after it and even with a delayed harvest, be done by mid-November. What concerns me is that we have some customers who tend to drag their feet, and it is company policy that nobody is allowed to take vacation during harvest season. The dates blocked off were from Labor Day to Thanksgiving, but if we run into a delayed harvest, that range is subject to change.
All I can do right now is go along with what we have booked and make plans for those dates. If things keep getting delayed, I don't know what I'll do. Maybe push the trip back a week or 2 and stay at a value or push it back even farther if there's nothing available by the time we'd be making that decision.
I really don't want to make a downer post like this, but I guess that's part of the PTR. Sometimes things go according to plan and sometimes you just don't know how things are going to work out. I've really been worrying a lot about this the past few days, but hopefully the weather will clear up and there will be nothing to worry about. If we can get the corn planters in the field by at least the 10th of May, I'll feel a whole lot better about things.
On a brighter note, we had some Disney discussion with family over the Easter holiday. I found out my aunt and uncle went to Florida to pick up my uncle's mom. My aunt had gone to Disney a few years ago with her daughter and grandsons. She had talked about how she wanted to ride Soarin but didn't because she doesn't like heights and she was disappointed with herself for not trying it and missing out. While they were in Florida last week, she took a detour to EPCOT one day just so she could ride Soarin'. She rode twice and loved it!
I also found out that my wife's cousin, who is planning a trip, has yet to decide when they're going because she can't get her husband to commit to a time. She had originally planned on Spring Break (which didn't happen) but then talked about maybe taking their girls out of school for a week and going next fall... Ever think about the week after Thanksgiving?
I'm sure it won't happen, but my wife's aunt and my mother in law were planning to go with their family, so it would really be a lot of fun if they go at the same time. Their girls are a lot of fun, I would absolutely LOVE spending time at Disney with them, and my wife's cousin and husband are a lot of fun to hang out with too. They were already talking about how much fun it would be if they could go at the same time we go and making plans to leave the kids with the grandmothers one evening so we could drink around the world. Again, I really doubt it would happen, but it is always fun to plan!
I just hope that I didn't scare them too much. They aren't Disney veterans and we were discussing the ADR system and dining plans because they weren't sure how things worked or what they wanted to do. I might have given them an information overload when I started trying to explain things.
OK.... here is the plan. Get your pencil ready.
Do you still have access to a PIN or discount code? IF yes, have your DW call and book the same package for a few weeks later in her name. If you booked a package, you have up till 45 days to cancel without penalty. I think if you are within 45 days you can move your deposit to a different trip (don't quote me on the second part)
Then as you get closer you can decide which time is going to be better for you and cancel the one you don't need.
I forgot... are you flying or driving?
No need to say sorry. This is your TR and we are here to help you out!
Thanks for the suggestions! We're drving... I'll have to look into that. I don't think I've got the flyer anymore and the date on it said the PIN was good till 2/28, but I did e-mail the pin to our travel agent and I didn't delete those e-mails yet. If we had to reschedule, it would just about have to be the week of the 11th and if I recall, it was blacked out for our PIN anyway, which is why we didn't schedule that week to begin with. It will definitely be worth making some phone calls and checking into it, but I'd say if we can't go the week we have scheduled, we'll probably do something in Jan or Feb... Still hoping I'm just worrying about nothing right now though.
I should of just reread the first post (about the driving)... At least you won't be worrying about airline tickets too. What if you pushed your trip back a few days... then did the Disney part first and the beach second? You might be able to squeeze a few more days home before you leave.
Can you contact your employer and ask them if it is OK to be on vacation that week?
I think about the only flexibility I'd have would be to leave Friday after work and drive straight through the night as opposed to leaving Friday morning and driving halfway. If they decide that we need to accomodate late harvest it will be a week by week thing, so I'd already considered this scenario that we might not get the Friday after Thanksgiving off, but if it is slow enough the next week might be ok.
As far as asking if it is OK... yes, I scheduled my vacation back in January and it was approved and put in the books. That said, according to our company handbook, we are a seasonal business and no vacations are allowed duirng the harvest season. Every year Labor Day to Thanksgiving is blacked out, but that range is always subject to change. If things are at least starting to slow down, they won't have a problem with it, but you just never know. Right now the standard answer from the powers that be is "well, we'll just have to see."
fingers crossed and pixie dust that you can still take the vacation as planned!! I hate the wait and see game, so I know how frustrating that is!!
Well, I hope you are still able to go. It's not like you're trying to take a vacation at the last minute, so hopefully they'll be able to be flexible.
It can't rain forever. I hope your original dates work out and all of your fun family members decide to tag along.
Thanks for the positive vibes! We've been lucky the last few days... still really wet, but we've only been getting 1/4" to 1" each day as opposed to the heavier rains that were in the forecast. Hopefully things will begin to dry up soon.
Mark, the thing about it is, that is just how this industry works... it is seasonal and whenever that time frame of harvest takes place is when we make our money for the year. You know from DDC how slow things can be at work for me during the off-season, and harvest is when we earn our payday. Honestly, I'm a salary employee who works in the office... I could work things around and get away easier than most, but there is no way they'd allow any of our hourly employees working in the plant do do it. I'd feel pretty guilty if I had to pull that off. I have a co-worker that doesn't share my feelings, but that is a whole different story.
I knew when we decided on this trip that there was a maybe a 10% chance our timing could become an issue... so we'll just have to wait it out and see.
I understand what you mean, and the dilemma that involves. I was just trying to say that it wasn't like you were leaving at the last minute and leaving them holding the bag. Most people understand that things don't always go according to plan and can be flexible if they have enough notice. Here's hoping...
Finally found your PTR. I hope that stuff works out so that you get to go in December.
We were there around that same time 2 years ago and I remember seeing long lines at 3 in the afternoon for CP. I thought it was pretty bad that people would be waiting 2 hours to see the show and then they told me they were the line for the 6:45 showing not the 5 pm showing. If you want to do it, you should try and sign up for one of the dinner packages that include a seating.
We are fast approaching our 180 day window to make ADRs! I believe June 1 is the big day, so I've been looking over schedules trying to come up with a rough idea of what parks we want to do on a given day and decide when we can fit in ADRs we're looking at. Although my plan is still a very rough draft, I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone has any valuable feedback for me.
Mon 11/28: Arrive at WL around noon.
We will plan to check in and explore WL and relax for a bit. Depending on what time we arrive and whether we ate lunch on the way in or not, we might swing by Roaring Forks. I'd like to take the boat over to the Contemporary and then hop on the monorail to see the MK resorts decorated for the holidays. I'm thinking dinner at Captain Cooks before heading to the MK for MSEP/Wishes and evening EMH. I know a late night isn't a good idea, especially the night before MVMCP, but it looks like MSEP/Wishes will only be on certain nights and this is one of them. 11:00 pm really isn't that late for us anyway.
Tue 11/29: This will probably be our MVMCP day. It will also be about the only day we can hit HS at RD, so we'll probably slip over there and do TSM and a few other attractions and head back to WL for lunch at Whispering Canyon Cafe and a mid-day nap. At around 4pm, we'll head over to the MK and grab dinner at a QS.
Wed 11/30: RD at EPCOT. We'll spend the morning at EPCOT. Thinking lunch ADR for Via Napoli then head back to WL to relax. QS for dinner somewhere and HS for the late afternoon/evening to see the Osborne lights.
Thur 12/1: RD at AK. We'll eat lunch at Flame Tree BBQ... I've never had it, but I absolutely can't wait to try it. We'll stay in the park till early afternoon then head to WL to rest. It looks like if we want to see Fantasmic! this will be the night we can do that while we're there, so I might make a Fantasmic! dinner package ADR for Mama Melrose. If we decide not to do Fantasmic! we'll likely make an ADR for Tutto Italia or La Hacienda and spend the evening in EPCOT and watch Illuminations instead.
Fri 12/2: Breakfast ADR for Crystal Palace and RD at MK. We'll spend a few hours there and do anything that we haven't done yet or want to do again. This will be our last visit to MK since they will likely be taping the Christmas parade on Sat. We'll grab some QS lunch and head back to WL to rest for a few hours. We'll then head over to EPCOT for a QS meal and watch Illuminations. It looks like EPCOT will probably have PM EMH so we might catch a few attractions after Illuminations. If we see Illuminations instead of F! on Thur, we might spend more time in the MK and spend the evening relaxing at WL, or we might go on over to EPCOT and just take advantage of EMH and hit some rides during Illuminations.
Sat 12/3: This will be our last day. We'll likely use this day to catch anything we missed or want to do again. Most likely we'll probably end up at EPCOT and/or HS. I need some advice here though... We'll probably make a lunch ADR for Le Cellier or Tutto Italia. I was considering doing a Chef Mickey's ADR for dinner so that would be the last thing we do before we start driving north. I kind of think it would be fun to end there and then boat back over to WL before we leave, but that would take a little more travel time. The other option would be breakfast at Chef Mickey's then back to WL to pack and check out and then we'd load up and drive to EPCOT/HS. I see the benefits to both, but I just thought I'd see if anyone here has any input about which meal is better there. Opinions are welcome!
ADRs that we strongly considered that likely will not quite make the cut:
LTT (I love that place)
Tutto Italia and/or La Hacienda
Tusker House (breakfast)
Spirit of Aloha Dinner show
Now to just find a designated stroller pusher so DW and I can drink around the world at some point.
If you see anything that doesn't look like it will work, any glaring omissions, or just think I'm an idiot, please let me know!
Hi! I'm joining in! I've been taking my kids to WDW since they were 7 months old and it is such a wonderful experience to see their reactions to everything. I think your DS will have a wonderful time!
I like the dining choices. Some places I haven't tried yet, but Le Cellier, Whispering Canyon, and Flame Tree all get from me! I'll be very interested to see what you think of Via Napoli. Definitely want to try that next time.
I can't wait... I hope he reacts well to characters. We'll probably take more time to have some interactions with them if he is into it. Thanks for stopping by!
I think your tastes are very similar to mine, so I'll be sure to let you know what we think. I'm not a "foodie" by any stretch of the imagination, but I love to eat. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to taste good!
Honestly, since we're doing TS OOP it is kind of a no brainer to do Via Napoli... buy a pizza, the 3 of us share it, probably the cheapest TS we'll eat all week. Unless we get thirsty.
plant rice!! it likes swamps!
Well, we've considered that, but rice likes its water to be still, not flowing.
We are still very wet and not even close to being able to do anything here in our area, but the water is receding a bit and the last couple of days have been nice. If we can dodge rain over the weekend things will probably get busy around here next week.
This is very much off topic, but I just want to say that I really feel bad for the farmers in Missouri that got flooded out by the levee that was blown up to save Cairo, IL. It is taking a backseat to the Bin Laden news this week, but there is some devastating flooding there. Homes and farm buildings lost, farms under several feet of water. Heard from someone with in-laws who farm in the flooded area that they're watching the water rise on their home by feet at a time and were told their property will probably be under water until August. On top of that, they're saying crop insurance won't pay out on the thousands of acres in that area because this flood isn't considered a natural disaster since it was caused by the government removing a levee.
After seeing that devastation, if the worst thing that happens to me is that I'll have to change my travel plans, I'll do so with a smile on my face.
Separate names with a comma.