I really dislike flying with SWA due to their boarding process

We usually drive to WDW since its only 10 hours. However, we flew this trip. The flight down was fine, but on the way back our boarding numbers were B12, B15, B55 and C1. I went to ask if my DD6 who was B55 could board with me and they told me to do family boarding. So I get in the line and was denied. Even though that's what they told me to do. They did let us all board in the first B group. Frustrating, but I was ok with it since I knew family boarding was ages 4 and below with ONE adult..

It sounds like you boarded exactly where the agent said you could board. Family Boarding is now 6 and under and includes parents and sibling. Family Boarding is not Pre-boarding but is done right before the B Group, which is where you boarded with your 6 year old.

They also don't have any rule allowing seat-saving.

Not rows and rows of people - rows and rows with only one person in each. That's not the result of a connecting flight.

Have you actually asked and found they were all saving seats? I have seen rows and rows with one person in each pretty often but it is frequently the case that many of the first to board the plane are business travelers (we are the ones likely to be A list) who are flying alone. Most of the time I sit in the aisle seat of the first empty row I come to on the right side of the plane (not sure why I just like that side better). I'm not saving the other two seats... I just like the aisle. Feels less claustrophobic.

When I fly with DH I change my tactic a bit... Then I want to find a row with someone at the window who is alone. so I'll ask if they are saving the middle seat. Most of the time they aren't. This is perfect for me because once the window and aisle are taken the chance that anyone is going to want that middle seat before DH gets on is VERY slim. Although I have technically saved it I have only once had someone want it before he got there... and then it was the person two people in front of DH. He took the middle seat one row back.

Have you actually asked and found they were all saving seats? I have seen rows and rows with one person in each pretty often but it is frequently the case that many of the first to board the plane are business travelers (we are the ones likely to be A list) who are flying alone. Most of the time I sit in the aisle seat of the first empty row I come to on the right side of the plane (not sure why I just like that side better). I'm not saving the other two seats... I just like the aisle. Feels less claustrophobic.

When I fly with DH I change my tactic a bit... Then I want to find a row with someone at the window who is alone. so I'll ask if they are saving the middle seat. Most of the time they aren't. This is perfect for me because once the window and aisle are taken the chance that anyone is going to want that middle seat before DH gets on is VERY slim. Although I have technically saved it I have only once had someone want it before he got there... and then it was the person two people in front of DH. He took the middle seat one row back.
You can tell who the seat savers are. Usually they sit in the middle seat, but not always. They are the ones with one person in the row, and coats, purses and bags in the other seats.

I have to add this. We flew in August with the grandkids and the trip had so many issues and delays, etc. that I wrote to SW about all of the issues. While some were weather related, the lack of communications at the airport, lost luggage, soaking wet clothes in my luggage, turning around and going back to Jacksonville to refuel, one of my issues was the seating saving. Since we had purchased earlybirds for all, I was confused when I shuffled the grandkids into the first open 3 seater and thinking my husband and other granddaughter would be sitting behind us (or near us) since there were 6 open rows with 1 person in each row. Afterall, he only needed two seats. I looked up and he was many rows back. It was too late for me to regroup the girls to move so we settled in for our 2 hour flight that became a nearly 5 hour flight. Seemed every row he stopped at, the one person was saving the other seats. After writing to SW, they responded back to my many issues, and seat saving was one of them. I thought you might find it interesting to see their comment to me.

"......Additionally, please know that all flights on Southwest are "open-seating," and Customers are free to take any available seat onboard the aircraft. It is not uncommon for our Customers to save a seat (or seats) for a friend, family member, or associate in a later boarding group so they can enjoy each other’s company. We don’t have a policy regarding saving seats, and it is acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for someone as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren't inconvenienced. Our open-seating policy comes with good points and challenges, and I am sorry you were disappointed with the handling of this particular situation."

Just thought you might like to actually see that they do admit their policy of no policy in writing.

I have to add this. We flew in August with the grandkids and the trip had so many issues and delays, etc. that I wrote to SW about all of the issues. While some were weather related, the lack of communications at the airport, lost luggage, soaking wet clothes in my luggage, turning around and going back to Jacksonville to refuel, one of my issues was the seating saving. Since we had purchased earlybirds for all, I was confused when I shuffled the grandkids into the first open 3 seater and thinking my husband and other granddaughter would be sitting behind us (or near us) since there were 6 open rows with 1 person in each row. Afterall, he only needed two seats. I looked up and he was many rows back. It was too late for me to regroup the girls to move so we settled in for our 2 hour flight that became a nearly 5 hour flight. Seemed every row he stopped at, the one person was saving the other seats. After writing to SW, they responded back to my many issues, and seat saving was one of them. I thought you might find it interesting to see their comment to me.

"......Additionally, please know that all flights on Southwest are "open-seating," and Customers are free to take any available seat onboard the aircraft. It is not uncommon for our Customers to save a seat (or seats) for a friend, family member, or associate in a later boarding group so they can enjoy each other’s company. We don’t have a policy regarding saving seats, and it is acceptable for a Customer to "claim" a seat for someone as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren't inconvenienced. Our open-seating policy comes with good points and challenges, and I am sorry you were disappointed with the handling of this particular situation."

Just thought you might like to actually see that they do admit their policy of no policy in writing.
Since anyone can sit in open seats I would have sat in the open seats, but that is jus me; while they don't stop people from saving seats they also don't stop people from sitting in an open seat

Since anyone can sit in open seats I would have sat in the open seats, but that is jus me; while they don't stop people from saving seats they also don't stop people from sitting in an open seat

So would you physically pick up someone's coat or bag and move it?

I'm one of those that love SW, but it is a system that pretty much hits one end of the spectrum or the other. You love it or you hate.

For families I guess you have to weigh the lower cost to the peace of mind. Sounds like some people on this thread are happier with the ability to have a seat and not worry about boarding.

Me I prefer the lower cost. Even when I add EBC, which I usually do, I still pay less with SW. So I pay less but do a little extra work to make sure I can board as early as possible (for seat choice and overhead space).

That is what I was wondering - based on the info above would that potentially "delay the boarding process" if the seat saver objected? You would be holding up the boarding trying to claim the open seat.

I like SWA, I purchase EBCI for everyone and move to the first row with enough open seats for all of us. I like the free checked bags, even after paying for EBCI it still saves us $25 vs bag fees and the flexible change rules have been a lifesaver on a few occasions.

My most recent flights (2 so far this month) have been on a legacy airline and I have dealt with seat changes and folks clogging the boarding area so you can't board in your zone. Honestly I have seen more of a "cattle call" on the other airlines lately.

Last edited:
I would first ask them to move it and if they didn't then yes I would put it on the floor. I have the right to that seat as much as anyone else if it is vacant and it is vacant if someone isn't sitting in it.

And would you really feel comfortable sitting next to someone during a flight after physically moving their items without permission? :confused3

Have you actually done this before?

I would first ask them to move it and if they didn't then yes I would put it on the floor. I have the right to that seat as much as anyone else if it is vacant and it is vacant if someone isn't sitting in it.

I highly doubt you would.

No, but I buy EBCI for all travelers, problem solved.
It's a little funny that some passengers treat the seats in an airplane like it's their college dorm floor. Drop this here, drop this there. Habits are hard to break, I guess.

Unless that cardigan paid for a ticket....:)

This is why I drive if at all possible. I have my own comfortable seat. I leave when I want, stop when I want and no security checks. Flying now days is nothing more than a Greyhound bus with wings.

This is why I drive if at all possible. I have my own comfortable seat. I leave when I want, stop when I want and no security checks. Flying now days is nothing more than a Greyhound bus with wings.

Maybe. But it gets me to WDW in 2 1/2 hours instead of 23. And has a bathroom on board, and I never have to stop and refuel the airplane.

I have an extra 4 days, but would rather spend them relaxing by the pool in WDW. It's a 2 hour flight from BWI, IAD, or DCA for us. Yes it has it's hassles and issues, but totally worth it to get there faster.

True but I guess we are lucky in that we are only about 6 and half hour drive away. By the time I get to the airport 1 1/2 to 2 hours early get to the get gate and wait on boarding and then fly down I am over half way there. :teeth:

Honestly I have seen more of a "cattle call" on the other airlines lately.

For years, IMO.

And now other airlines are copying SW with the stanchions with signs on them of who should line up there. Which makes it so much less cattle call-ish.

I think that if a person were VERY serious about sitting somewhere, and they had determined that the cardigan on the seat belonged to someone not-yet on the plane (vs being in the bathroom or getting a seatbelt extender from the FA), they might be brave enough to "risk" sitting next to the thwarted saver.

But I personally just haven't seen it on SW. Or I just assume that people are in the bathroom or there are people who LIKE sitting in the middle? But I cannot actually remember a time I've seen people sitting in the middle on a basically empty plane.

Every 3 or so flights on non-SW airlines, though, I see someone accidentally on purpose sitting in a seat that is not the seat on their boarding pass, though.

True but I guess we are lucky in that we are only about 6 and half hour drive away. By the time I get to the airport 1 1/2 to 2 hours early get to the get gate and wait on boarding and then fly down I am over half way there. :teeth:

Yeah, for Disneyland it takes us 6 hours to drive. Last time we flew it took six hours when you factor in everything. Flying, everyone was a wreck. Driving, only I am. We drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter