I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

It seemed unseemly of me to tell you how greatly this distressed me.
I want you all to myself and here you're going off with strange men.

You had your chance.

giphy.gif

Nah... I'll stay Canadian, thanks.

Probably a good choice.

Looking forward to next week with great interest!

expectations-stressed-david-bowie-gif.gif

This is where free dining comes in handy.

True. But when travelling solo room only discount works out better.

"slightly"

:lmao:

tumblr_inline_o0w3lcSPv51tssnfm_500.gif

Is that not just the cutest little cabin EVER?!

I like it - although I agree with you that it would be even better with a window!

Ooooh, I like the color scheme of the Getaway's solo lounge better than the one on the Epic!

I think the one of the Breakaway looks the best

fe3dc506071182ac075cb3e635ba6abc.jpg

You only listed three! And funnily enough, I'm planning on doing extremely similar. I'm going to definitely be doing the prepaid package for four nights of the specialty dining on my Epic cruise (the same three you mentioned, plus Moderno). And I'm definitely doing at least two nights in the main dining rooms, maybe three. I'm still tossing around in my head the idea of the cirque-themed dinner show they do on that ship. I can't wait to hear what you think of the dining options you've chosen!!!

At this stage I have Cagney's booked in twice. The problem with pre-booking times online is that you can only do the a la carte ones without pre-paying and I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to get a refund when I showed up and said I had the dining package. I have Cagney's booked the first and last nights - if I don't like it on the first I'm hoping to be able to switch over to the Teppanyaki one onboard (or Margaritaville which they announced yesterday was opening just before my cruise!)

I left three nights for the main dining rooms but they apparently all have the same menu (unlike Disney) so I'm not sure there's as much benefit as trying all three.

WHAT. HOW DID YOU MANAGE THAT?!?! (Do you know the dollar value of the dining package? It's costing me $650 USD!!! Almost as much as the cruise itself!) WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!

When I booked they had an offer where you could pick on extra - the beverage package, the dining package, $150 shore credit or free internet I think). The beverage package was definitely the best value so I picked that - all I had to pay was the $90 or so for the gratuities. I k now you're a TA but I booked through Vacations to Go if you want to see if they still have the offer for yours.

That mai tai, though... I needz it.

I have a drink list a mile long! And it got even longer this week now that Margaritaville will also be open!

Isn't it gorgeous?! I seriously considered the week-long pass, but I don't see myself spending more than a day or two there. I was reading that they do a daily pass for $30 on port days. And one of my port days, the ship leaves out at 2pm, so I figured that would be a good day to get it, since that would give me all late afternoon and evening to enjoy it. So please write ALL about the spa so I can figure out if it's worth it!

Will do. I figure if it gets me away from the crowds at the main pool it will be worth it!

I LOVE your selections of shore excursions! Such a great variety!

That's what I was going for - one history based, one activity based and one culture based.

HOW EXCITING!!!!!!!! I'm just as jazzed for your cruise as I am for the Disney parts of your trip!

Thanks - me too!

You got that right, girl.

Just wait until the update - my list is longer than one sane person could eat in a vacation.

What! Blasphemy.

I know. I may have added Flying Fish in though now - after all the great reviews this week :blush:

I can't wait to see your finalized itinerary, and see where there's an opportunity for a DISmeet in our futures!

I know you're there until the 28th - but I don't have park days until after that so it would have to be an out of park meet.

You're doing MNSSHP and Ohana on the 23rd right? That's they day I'm getting off the cruise so I'm not sure what time I'll arrive at Disney that day. Still hoping flight prices will drop as the flight between Miami and Orlando is not cheap!

I could come and say hi at Beaches & Cream on the 24th if you're still planning on doing that. That's my Disney Springs day but I'm happy to take an afternoon break for a Dismeet!

Last edited:
11 Weeks to Go

Alrighty – as promised, it’s time to talk food.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-31545-1380211201-24_preview.gif

Food and wine that is.

I’ve perused all the menus that have been released and have begun planning what I want to try.

Thankfully I have quite a few EPCOT days planned – plus staying at BC will allow me to duck in to try something on non-EPCOT days.

There are way too many delicious sounding things so my plan as it stands is way too much food for one person to try.

But I figure I can give it my best shot.

There are 21 country booths plus an additional 8 non-country ones so let’s take a look in sections.

F&W 1.jpg

Out of the first 11 countries the things I’m most looking forward to trying are:

Australia – I have to see what they think my homeland stands for (and apparently that’s lamb covered in potato chips)

DSC08447-d@d.jpg

Then I’ll have to see what @pkondz's homeland is famous for – the filet from Le Cellier

7798dc1fa22476f795b3fefaba20361c.jpg

The only other must have from this list is the Hawaii Booth where I want to try the pork sliders

90c12a142a3a6c9d3700da266707989d.jpg

The next 10 countries offer up the following potential options:

F&W 2.jpg

I really want to try the guava puff from the Islands of the Caribbean booth

fwp-quesito.jpg

Apparently I’ve got a sweet tooth for this half as I also want to try the chocolate baklava from Morrocco

Chocolate-Honey-Baklava_Tangierine-Cafe_031.jpg

And the Tipsy Laird from Scotland

Tipsy-Laird-Whiskey-Soaked-Cake-with-Lemon-Cream-and-Toasted-Oats-Scotland-Food-and-Wine-307x600.jpg

Then it’s time to see what the non-country options are:

F&W 3.jpg

I must have the Chew collective’s Peanut Butter mousse

Epcot-Food-and-Wine-2016-Preview-The-Chew-Collective-Peanut-Butter-and-White-Chocolate-Mousse-1.jpg

And Farm Fresh’s chicken and dumplings.

Epcot-Food-and-Wine-2016-Preview-Farm-Fresh-Chicken-and-Dumplings-1.jpg

So that’s a quick look at the highlights of the F&W festival booths – how much I will end up eating will depend on two things – obviously how hungry I am on the day, but also how expensive everything is as prices still haven’t been released.

Still on F&W – I’ve booked into a couple of seminars.

I’ve booked a spot at one of the beverage seminars – for the tidy sum of $15 I’ve got a place in the Ron Zapaca Rum seminar.

I’ve also booked into two other events – both from the new to the festival “Mix it, make it, Celebrate It” seminars. These were $49 each.

The first is the Sweet & Salty creations with one of my favourite baking duos – Matt Lewis and Renato Profialto from Baked. I own all their cookbooks and love their baked treats so I’m super excited about this one.

baked.JPG

The other is on my last day and it celebrates my favourite beverage – Gin! It’s a Gin Tasting and Cocktail Making class from Aviation Gin

images

And that’s it for F&W – Plus I’m full from just typing this!

full.gif

I think the one of the Breakaway looks the best

fe3dc506071182ac075cb3e635ba6abc.jpg
Ooooooh. That IS the prettiest one, I agree!

At this stage I have Cagney's booked in twice. The problem with pre-booking times online is that you can only do the a la carte ones without pre-paying and I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to get a refund when I showed up and said I had the dining package. I have Cagney's booked the first and last nights - if I don't like it on the first I'm hoping to be able to switch over to the Teppanyaki one onboard (or Margaritaville which they announced yesterday was opening just before my cruise!)
Ohhhh. I'm too far out for booking dining reservations yet, so I hadn't gotten that deep into it. I'm glad to know where to find you if it blows my mind and I need help!

When I booked they had an offer where you could pick on extra - the beverage package, the dining package, $150 shore credit or free internet I think). The beverage package was definitely the best value so I picked that - all I had to pay was the $90 or so for the gratuities. I k now you're a TA but I booked through Vacations to Go if you want to see if they still have the offer for yours.
OH. MY. GOD.

I AM THE WORST TRAVEL AGENT EVER. NEVER EVER USE MY SERVICES.

Okay, I wouldn't go quite that far. But when I read your reply, I got both really excited and really mad at myself. Excited because once you described it, I knew exactly which promotion you were talking about. Mad at myself because I forgot ALL about said promotion when I booked my cruise! DOH!

However. Because of you reminding me of it, today I logged into my reservation on the NCL travel agent portal, pulled up the list of available promotions for my sailing, click click click... Guess who has the Ultimate Beverage Package for free now too? (Well, almost free... $99.54 for the gratuities.) That's right, THIS GIRL!!! Saved me $550! And it's all thanks to you and your PTR!

I have a drink list a mile long!
I do too NOW!!!

Just wait until the update - my list is longer than one sane person could eat in a vacation.
"Sane" is a relative term in regard to Disney food.

I know you're there until the 28th - but I don't have park days until after that so it would have to be an out of park meet.
I am totally okay with that!

You're doing MNSSHP and Ohana on the 23rd right? That's they day I'm getting off the cruise so I'm not sure what time I'll arrive at Disney that day.
You are correct!

Still hoping flight prices will drop as the flight between Miami and Orlando is not cheap!
Hmm. Have you thought of doing a car rental? It's only about a 3.5 hour drive. Or if you're not down for driving yourself, what about hiring a shuttle bus service instead? I know there's lots of companies that do it, and typically for around only $20-35 bucks per person.

I could come and say hi at Beaches & Cream on the 24th if you're still planning on doing that. That's my Disney Springs day but I'm happy to take an afternoon break for a Dismeet!
Yes, I most definitely am! On 10/24, I'm leaving AK and heading to B&C for a late lunch (3pm) then an hour or so of rest before heading back out to MK for the night. I'm also free in the morning on 10/25, just taking it easy that morning, and having an early lunch around 11am at Hurricane Hanna's there at Beach Club before heading over to Epcot for the day. Or if none of the previously mentioned times work for you, I can also dip out of Epcot a little early and be available in/around the BC/YC/BW area around 3pm on 10/26. See? We have options!

Australia – I have to see what they think my homeland stands for (and apparently that’s lamb covered in potato chips)

DSC08447-d@d.jpg
Even if this isn't actually representative of your homeland, I can vouch that it's DELICIOUS all the same! I had it in 2014 and it was one of my favorite things!

Then I’ll have to see what @pkondz's homeland is famous for – the filet from Le Cellier

7798dc1fa22476f795b3fefaba20361c.jpg
Funnily enough, this was my OTHER favorite thing from F&W 2014!

fwp-quesito.jpg
Ohhh, I can't remember if this is on my list or not. I'll have to check. If not, it's going to be!

You had your chance.

giphy.gif

Dang.

Excuse me. I need to go sit in a corner and cry now.

True. But when travelling solo room only discount works out better.

::yes:: Which is just what I did.

Alrighty – as promised, it’s time to talk food.

yesssss....

I’ve perused all the menus that have been released and have begun planning what I want to try.

You are so far ahead of me.

You mean it's not?

You could do worse.
But, like Oz, Canada's so big that there's no one single representative dish.

The only other must have from this list is the Hawaii Booth where I want to try the pork sliders

I have it on good authority that this is a must have.

What the heck is that?!?!?
(May have to try that one.)

And the Tipsy Laird from Scotland

That's... odd. But probably tasty.

I must have the Chew collective’s Peanut Butter mousse

mmmmm....

but also how expensive everything is as prices still haven’t been released.

Oh? I wasn't aware of that.

Still on F&W – I’ve booked into a couple of seminars.

I've booked none. Nor will I as time is a definite factor.

The first is the Sweet & Salty creations with one of my favourite baking duos – Matt Lewis and Renato Profialto from Baked. I own all their cookbooks and love their baked treats so I’m super excited about this one.

Oh, that's cool.
Plus it's one that would tempt me.

And that’s it for F&W – Plus I’m full from just typing this!

:lmao:

Ohhhh. I'm too far out for booking dining reservations yet, so I hadn't gotten that deep into it. I'm glad to know where to find you if it blows my mind and I need help!

Happy to help -I'll be a one-time cruise expert! :laughing:

OH. MY. GOD.

I AM THE WORST TRAVEL AGENT EVER. NEVER EVER USE MY SERVICES.

Okay, I wouldn't go quite that far. But when I read your reply, I got both really excited and really mad at myself. Excited because once you described it, I knew exactly which promotion you were talking about. Mad at myself because I forgot ALL about said promotion when I booked my cruise! DOH!

However. Because of you reminding me of it, today I logged into my reservation on the NCL travel agent portal, pulled up the list of available promotions for my sailing, click click click... Guess who has the Ultimate Beverage Package for free now too? (Well, almost free... $99.54 for the gratuities.) That's right, THIS GIRL!!! Saved me $550! And it's all thanks to you and your PTR!

You are, I'm sure, a fantastic TA - just not used to Norwegian bookings I bet :cutie:

Woo hoo for savings!!!! Now you can put it towards speciality dining, cruise excursions - or the spa!

I do too NOW!!!

:rotfl:

"Sane" is a relative term in regard to Disney food.

True - at this stage I'm planning on coming home around 10lbs heavier with my "sane" food choices.

Hmm. Have you thought of doing a car rental? It's only about a 3.5 hour drive. Or if you're not down for driving yourself, what about hiring a shuttle bus service instead? I know there's lots of companies that do it, and typically for around only $20-35 bucks per person.

Not sure I'm keen on driving - it would be my first time driving on the opposite side of the road (and car) and I'm not sure I'm that talented!

I've looked at the shuttles but they only take you to a central point in Orlando (or the airport) and I'd still have to get to the resort. And it's a lot more time than flying. I'm just going to keep my fingers cross for an airfare special (or suck it up and pay it!)

Yes, I most definitely am! On 10/24, I'm leaving AK and heading to B&C for a late lunch (3pm) then an hour or so of rest before heading back out to MK for the night. I'm also free in the morning on 10/25, just taking it easy that morning, and having an early lunch around 11am at Hurricane Hanna's there at Beach Club before heading over to Epcot for the day. Or if none of the previously mentioned times work for you, I can also dip out of Epcot a little early and be available in/around the BC/YC/BW area around 3pm on 10/26. See? We have options!

24th looks good to me - I'm heading over to Universal on the 25th so that limits my ability to pop over!

Even if this isn't actually representative of your homeland, I can vouch that it's DELICIOUS all the same! I had it in 2014 and it was one of my favorite things!

Well it's good to hear my country isn't serving up terrible food!

Funnily enough, this was my OTHER favorite thing from F&W 2014!

I'm doing dinner at Le Cellier (mainly for Poutine and nanaimo bars!) but don't really want to spend money on steak prices so I figure this is a good way to try it

Ohhh, I can't remember if this is on my list or not. I'll have to check. If not, it's going to be!

They raved about this on the DisUnplugged podcast which is why it made my list.

Dang.

Excuse me. I need to go sit in a corner and cry now.

At least you've still got Ruby to comfort you ;)

::yes:: Which is just what I did.

You know what they say about great minds...

You are so far ahead of me.

Yes, but only because I'm an insane neurotic overplanner obsessed with food.

You mean it's not?

Maybe certain parts of the country are represented by it (obviously the far classier areas than where I'm from :cutie:)

You could do worse.
But, like Oz, Canada's so big that there's no one single representative dish.

What. About. The. Poutine?!!!!

I have it on good authority that this is a must have.

Then I shall leave it on my list.

What the heck is that?!?!?
(May have to try that one.)

Fried pastry filled with cream cheese. I mean how can you go wrong with that?

That's... odd. But probably tasty.

It sounds like breakfast in a glass. Plus it isn't Haggis which is a good thing when it comes to Scottish food.

Oh? I wasn't aware of that.

I'm guessing they'll be similar to last year but I'm sure they'll have added at least 50c to a $1 to most items. #thanksShanghai

I've booked none. Nor will I as time is a definite factor.

That is one of the benefits of having such a long trip. Park time to waste on things like this.

Oh, that's cool.
Plus it's one that would tempt me.

I'm wondering if it's too nerdy to bring one of their cookbooks all the way over and into the parks for them to sign?

At least you've still got Ruby to comfort you ;)

Nah. She just points at me and laughs.
Actually, so do the kids.

Yes, but only because I'm an insane neurotic overplanner obsessed with food.

:laughing:

Maybe certain parts of the country are represented by it (obviously the far classier areas than where I'm from :cutie:)

Ah. Gotcha.

What. About. The. Poutine?!!!!

You won't find that in the western half of the country.

It sounds like breakfast in a glass. Plus it isn't Haggis which is a good thing when it comes to Scottish food.

I would think that anything that isn't Haggis would be a step up.

I'm guessing they'll be similar to last year but I'm sure they'll have added at least 50c to a $1 to most items. #thanksShanghai

::yes::

That is one of the benefits of having such a long trip. Park time to waste on things like this.

Waste?

I'm wondering if it's too nerdy to bring one of their cookbooks all the way over and into the parks for them to sign?

Not even close.

This trip looks amazing! I'm following along. Can't wait to read about it afterwards!

Nah. She just points at me and laughs.
Actually, so do the kids.

Smart lady/ladies.

You won't find that in the western half of the country.

Well what about Winnipeg? You're pretty much in the middle aren't you?

I would think that anything that isn't Haggis would be a step up.

Agree.

Ok not waste. But time to not run around like a headless chicken from attraction to attraction to fit everything in.

Not even close.

See now I just have to pick which one to bring. It's such a big decision :scratchin

Smart lady/ladies.

3 out of 4 people in our household are smart.
I are not one of them.

Well what about Winnipeg? You're pretty much in the middle aren't you?

Ah, but we have a large French contingent here.
I think it's the largest in Canada outside of Quebec.

Ok not waste. But time to not run around like a headless chicken from attraction to attraction to fit everything in.

That sounds like my plan.

10 Weeks to Go

After last week’s food detour it’s time to get back on track with trip planning.

With only 10 weeks to go (and that’s actually to Disney – it’s only 60 days until I begin the trip!) it’s time to start locking down some outstanding things.

I booked my final flight this week after it fell to a point I was comfortable paying. I’d been holding out for a really cheap flight between Miami and Orlando but that doesn’t seem to be happening and I didn’t want to leave it too much longer so I booked the flight that worked best with my times.

I’ll be flying out of Miami at 12:17 (I know right? Who schedules these times??) and arriving in Orlando at 1:20. This should mean I’ll be on the DME by 2pm and at AKL by 3pm.

This will give me a whole afternoon to explore the resort before my dinner ADR at Jiko.

I also decided on and booked my accommodation in Las Vegas. That means I have every night in the US finally booked!

741329.gif

I wanted to try somewhere new – I’d been tossing up between the Aria and Wynn and in the end I went with the Wynn as it included breakfast, had no resort fee and they threw in $100 resort credit – so win win.

wynn-photo-home.jpg

And just look at their lobby!!!

810_Wynn_Atrium_Web_Barbara_Kraft.jpg

I’ll be staying in one of their Tower Suites – which although not large, do have access to the lounge and other fun stuff.

1_110_wynn_tower_king.jpg

I still have my night at Melbourne airport to book but I’m waiting to see if a family friend can get me an insider’s rate first.

tumblr_mzg1ynul7E1s36aafo1_500.gif

What else did I do trip wise this week? I pre-paid my gratuities on both cruises so that’s one less thing to worry about and I took advantage of the reasonable exchange rate at the moment and got out some USD for the trip.

200_s.gif

We’re still a couple of weeks away from FP time so next week’s update will be about clothes and costumes – I might even let you guys pick which one I wear to MNSSHP.

With only 10 weeks to go (and that’s actually to Disney – it’s only 60 days until I begin the trip!) it’s time to start locking down some outstanding things.

Well then giddyup there, girlie.

I booked my final flight this week after it fell to a point I was comfortable paying.

I've never done that. I book the flight and never look again as they never seem to budge.

I’ll be flying out of Miami at 12:17 (I know right? Who schedules these times??)

Most airlines hire an extremely annoying person whose sole job is to pick crappy flight times.

This will give me a whole afternoon to explore the resort before my dinner ADR at Jiko.

With requisite photos, yes?

I also decided on and booked my accommodation in Las Vegas. That means I have every night in the US finally booked!

741329.gif

39871-NPH-highest-of-fives-BIeL.gif

I wanted to try somewhere new – I’d been tossing up between the Aria and Wynn and in the end I went with the Wynn as it included breakfast, had no resort fee and they threw in $100 resort credit – so win win.

Nice.
Haven't stayed there (we were at the Mandarin Oriental) but we did visit. Beautiful place.

And just look at their lobby!!!

I know!

I took advantage of the reasonable exchange rate at the moment and got out some USD for the trip.

Oh! I should see about that too.
I know I've got some US cash, but not sure how much.

I might even let you guys pick which one I wear to MNSSHP.

I already know which one I'd pick.

Yes, I most definitely am! On 10/24, I'm leaving AK and heading to B&C for a late lunch (3pm) then an hour or so of rest before heading back out to MK for the night.

Ok so I'm not sure if this works with your plans Billie but I've been trying to find a similar time B&C so we could maybe eat together. One popped up today for 2:10 on the 24th. Is that too early for you? If it is I'll keep looking - or just content myself with a meet not involving delicious icecream on the same day!

Ok so I'm not sure if this works with your plans Billie but I've been trying to find a similar time B&C so we could maybe eat together. One popped up today for 2:10 on the 24th. Is that too early for you? If it is I'll keep looking - or just content myself with a meet not involving delicious icecream on the same day!
It is a bit early, yes, but I have a solution... I was just able to change my existing 3pm ADR to a Party of 2. If that time works for you, then you are officially my lunch and/or ice cream date that afternoon! :chat:

It is a bit early, yes, but I have a solution... I was just able to change my existing 3pm ADR to a Party of 2. If that time works for you, then you are officially my lunch and/or ice cream date that afternoon! :chat:

3pm works for me - my only plans that day are shopping and Disney Springs exploring.

Woo hoo - Dismeet locked in!!!! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter