I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

15 Weeks to Go

images%2Farticle%2F2016%2F05%2F17%2Fim-on-a-boat-gif.gif

Welcome to the first of two high seas installments of this PTR. It’s time to take a more detailed look at what I’ll be doing, eating and drinking while sailing the Caribbean!

And it’s a timely look into the cruises as I have paid off one (which we’ll look at today) and will have made final payment on the second next week.

But let’s start with the one that is locked in, paid off and, of course, Disney related – my 3 night cruise on the Disney Dream sailing out of Port Canaveral.

Let’s start at the beginning – and that is getting to Port Canaveral from Orlando. I looked into some private companies and priced out Uber, but as a solo traveler sticking with Disney transportation is actually the most cost effective. It’s $70 return and I’ll be being picked up from Old Key West.

disney-cruise-line-transportation.jpg

After the roughly one hour drive it will be time to check in here

DCLBlog_DSC_6333_Disney-Cruise-Line-Terminal-Port-Canaveral.jpg

And then it will finally be time to board this beauty

151113_vod_disney_dream_33x16_1600.jpg

Staterooms aren’t generally ready until round 1:30pm so I’ll have a little time to explore the ship or to grab a bite to eat at Cabanas

Cabanas.jpg

And then finally it should be time to settle in to my stateroom – Room 7186 on Deck 7. I splurged a little here and booked a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with a Verandah. Here's a video of the equivalent room on the Fantasy.

After the muster drill it will be time to put the balcony to use, order a room service cheese plate and crack open a bottle of champagne!

DCL has rotational dining so I don’t know which room I’ll be in on each night but I will get a chance to try out all three. For PTR sake I’m going to do them in Alphabetical order which means Animator’s Palette will be up first.

animators-palate-restaurant-00.jpg

Now DCL recently changed my itinerary which means Day 2 will be at Castaway Cay rather than Nassau.

Which also means I’ll have to be up nice and early as I want to participate in the Castaway Cay 5K.

cc5kmap_zpsd50a11e5.jpg

Once I’ve done my morning run it will be time to relax at one of the most beautiful private islands - apparently Disney does this better than anyone else in the cruise industry.

I’ll be heading to the adults only beach – Serenity Bay where I’ll relax on the beach and grab some lunch before heading back to the ship to explore.

20110427-florida-2619.jpg

Then I’m planning on taking in whatever show is being put on during my cruise.

Dinner, if we continue alphabetically, will be at the Enchanted Garden. And if I’m reading right it will be Pirate Night which apparently is not the best menu.

1-20-067.jpg

If I’m able to I’ll be trying to score a reservation at Palo that evening.

Palo-500x223.jpg

And then it might be time to explore the bars and lounges and in particular the Skyline which has a rotating city skyline as a backdrop.

Skyline-Bar-Disney-Cruise-Line-Dream-and-Fantasy.jpg

Day 3 is Nassau Day. I’m thinking of doing a foodie tour which takes you around to some of the best restaurants in Nassau and lets you try all the local delicacies but I haven’t book this in yet.

And then it will be back on board the Dream for one last dinner – at the Royal Palace.

600-Royal-Palace.jpg

Monday morning will be the See Ya Real Soon breakfast before it’s time to disembark and catch the bus back – thankfully it won’t be the end of my trip and I’ll be right back in the Disney bubble for another 5 nights!

Next week - the next instalment of cruising the high seas!

What if I promise you a sneak peek of my Halloween costume?

Where do I sign up for this sneak peek?

Let’s start at the beginning – and that is getting to Port Canaveral from Orlando. I looked into some private companies and priced out Uber, but as a solo traveler sticking with Disney transportation is actually the most cost effective. It’s $70 return and I’ll be being picked up from Old Key West.

We have loved taking the Disney bus to Port Canaveral. Just makes everything so easy. Also - Disney trivia on the bus! It will prepare you for the trivia games on the boat :)

Staterooms aren’t generally ready until round 1:30pm so I’ll have a little time to explore the ship or to grab a bite to eat at Cabanas

You certainly can eat at Cabanas but usually they have one of the sit down restaurants open as well. It's much less crowded and you get wait service. :)

And then finally it should be time to settle in to my stateroom – Room 7186 on Deck 7. I splurged a little here and booked a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with a Verandah. Here's a video of the equivalent room on the Fantasy.

I loved having my Verandah. Great spot for morning coffee (or booze - or both)!

Which also means I’ll have to be up nice and early as I want to participate in the Castaway Cay 5K.

I'm sure by this time you'll finish it in 20 minutes or so!

And then it might be time to explore the bars and lounges and in particular the Skyline which has a rotating city skyline as a backdrop.

This was my favorite bar on the Dream! I thought the skylines switching out were cool, especially for travelers like us. London, Hong Kong, New York .... and one more?

But it has Judy..
tumblr_mujad3Ro5B1qhdvf5o1_500.gif

But it doesn't have:

giphy.gif

or

ghostbust.91b.gif

I have faith you will do it

15e7dce0-a98d-4d43-8f38-0630947edab5_text.gif

Thanks. I'm hoping to start soon........ soon............ ish............

What if I promise you a sneak peek of my Halloween costume?

:hyper:

Welcome to the first of two high seas installments of this PTR. It’s time to take a more detailed look at what I’ll be doing, eating and drinking while sailing the Caribbean!

Yay!

But let’s start with the one that is locked in, paid off and, of course, Disney related – my 3 night cruise on the Disney Dream sailing out of Port Canaveral.

Oh, boy! I need all the info I can get!

I'm thinking of doing this also. Pricey for two... but so convenient.

I splurged a little here and booked a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with a Verandah.

::yes::

Here's a video of the equivalent room on the Fantasy.

Dang. At work. Will check later.

After the muster drill it will be time to put the balcony to use, order a room service cheese plate and crack open a bottle of champagne!

Mmmm... mustard.....

No?

And... you're ordering a bottle of champagne? Or bringing one?

DCL has rotational dining so I don’t know which room I’ll be in on each night

I did not know this!

I shall pass on this excursion.

Once I’ve done my morning run it will be time to relax at one of the most beautiful private islands - apparently Disney does this better than anyone else in the cruise industry.

I’ll be heading to the adults only beach

Okay, this part I can see us doing.

This one intrigues me the most, too.

Day 3 is Nassau Day. I’m thinking of doing a foodie tour which takes you around to some of the best restaurants in Nassau and lets you try all the local delicacies but I haven’t book this in yet.

That sounds interesting. I haven't looked at the excursions yet since nothing's even booked yet.

Where do I sign up for this sneak peek?

There's a sheet up on the notice board :cutie:

We have loved taking the Disney bus to Port Canaveral. Just makes everything so easy. Also - Disney trivia on the bus! It will prepare you for the trivia games on the boat :)

Would you recommend the on-board trivia contest? I'd crossed that off my list but I could be swayed to add it back on!

You certainly can eat at Cabanas but usually they have one of the sit down restaurants open as well. It's much less crowded and you get wait service. :)

I'm tempted to wait even longer and get a late lunch from room service - I think it will just depend how I feel on the day.

I loved having my Verandah. Great spot for morning coffee (or booze - or both)!

Well I don't drink coffee...

200_s.gif

I'm sure by this time you'll finish it in 20 minutes or so!

I wish - depends on how "relaxed" I get on that verandah the night before!

200_s.gif

This was my favorite bar on the Dream! I thought the skylines switching out were cool, especially for travelers like us. London, Hong Kong, New York .... and one more?

I believe it's Barcelona. And it's going to sound snobby but I've been to them all and three of the are in my top 5 cities to visit!

But it doesn't have:

giphy.gif

or

ghostbust.91b.gif

200_s.gif

tumblr_nj4cxe0WuQ1u6axdlo1_500.gif

200_s.gif

Oh, boy! I need all the info I can get!

As long as you don't mind if it's not first hand....

I'm thinking of doing this also. Pricey for two... but so convenient.

The only downside I've seen is you can't pick your pick up time so if you're super keen to get to the ship really early then it probably is best to take private transportation.

Mmmm... mustard.....

No?

And... you're ordering a bottle of champagne? Or bringing one?

Bringing (in my hand luggage - can't put in in checked) - I've had a lovely bottle of Moet saved for my 30th birthday and think drinking it overlooking the Bahamas will be an appropriate location!

I did not know this!

It sort of sucks as you can't plan what restaurant you want to miss if you want to book somewhere like Remy or Palo. You don't even find out the rotation until check in.

I shall pass on this excursion.

You get a shiny medal...

2015-07-15%2B14.04.07.jpg

Okay, this part I can see us doing.

This one intrigues me the most, too.

You just need to remember to pack the extra credit card to be able to afford to drink there :laughing:

That sounds interesting. I haven't looked at the excursions yet since nothing's even booked yet.

It would be your first Disney cruise right? You won't be able to book excursions until 90 days out with Disney. (which is probably soon or past but I don't know!)

P.S I hope everything goes well with Luna. I had something similar with my Edie who needed a full knee reconstruction at just six months old. It's the absolute worst feeling when they're so small and you have to watch them be in pain and go through surgery :sad1:.

upload_2016-7-11_20-35-43.png

There's a sheet up on the notice board :cutie:

Contact info provided!

Would you recommend the on-board trivia contest? I'd crossed that off my list but I could be swayed to add it back on!

Well, it's honestly nothing really special. And the bus ride over is more like the screens ask a question, then waits a few seconds and you get an answer. So I might have built this up a bit more then it is haha. I just enjoy trivia (Disney or otherwise). You can try it once and see if you want to go to a later one.

The mixology classes are fun as well. One of my favorite stories from our Fantasy trip a few years back was I signed up for the mixology class (can't remember if it was tequila, whiskey, rum, etc). Well after mixing and drinking six drinks in 45 minutes I was feeling very good as I was walking out of the bar. I noticed bingo was going on in a room I was walking by, so I drunkenly step in and bought a ticket. I didn't win any money, but I did a beach painting signed by the artist that was on the ship. I went back to the stateroom and gave my mom the painting. It hangs in our bathroom back in my hometown :rotfl2: I call it my drunk painting :drinking1

I believe it's Barcelona. And it's going to sound snobby but I've been to them all and three of the are in my top 5 cities to visit!

Me too, friend! :thumbsup2

I'd probably stop arguing with beautiful women.

The only downside I've seen is you can't pick your pick up time so if you're super keen to get to the ship really early then it probably is best to take private transportation.

That's what I thought too. But the convenience was hard to beat.
Moot point now, I suppose.

Bringing (in my hand luggage - can't put in in checked) - I've had a lovely bottle of Moet saved for my 30th birthday and think drinking it overlooking the Bahamas will be an appropriate location!

It sort of sucks as you can't plan what restaurant you want to miss if you want to book somewhere like Remy or Palo. You don't even find out the rotation until check in.

Oh! Didn't know that either.
So much to learn. I have time now... unfortunately.

You get a shiny medal...

Can I get a drink in a shiny glass, instead?

You just need to remember to pack the extra credit card to be able to afford to drink there :laughing:

Ouch!

It would be your first Disney cruise right? You won't be able to book excursions until 90 days out with Disney. (which is probably soon or past but I don't know!)

Would've been our first cruise, period.
And yeah, I think the 90 days had already gone by.

P.S I hope everything goes well with Luna. I had something similar with my Edie who needed a full knee reconstruction at just six months old. It's the absolute worst feeling when they're so small and you have to watch them be in pain and go through surgery :sad1:.

What a cutie.
So's Edie.
Edie looks about as shaved as Luna right now. More or less.
I'll be posting a pic on my TR in a bit.

Well, it's honestly nothing really special. And the bus ride over is more like the screens ask a question, then waits a few seconds and you get an answer. So I might have built this up a bit more then it is haha. I just enjoy trivia (Disney or otherwise). You can try it once and see if you want to go to a later one.

I used to trivia every week with friends from work so I am partial to it :cutie:. Just have to see if it's worth squeezing in on a three day cruise.

The mixology classes are fun as well. One of my favorite stories from our Fantasy trip a few years back was I signed up for the mixology class (can't remember if it was tequila, whiskey, rum, etc). Well after mixing and drinking six drinks in 45 minutes I was feeling very good as I was walking out of the bar. I noticed bingo was going on in a room I was walking by, so I drunkenly step in and bought a ticket. I didn't win any money, but I did a beach painting signed by the artist that was on the ship. I went back to the stateroom and gave my mom the painting. It hangs in our bathroom back in my hometown :rotfl2: I call it my drunk painting :drinking1

:laughing:

I'll look into the mixology classes - can they be pre-booked or is it first in best dressed once you're on the ship?

I'd probably stop arguing with beautiful women.

Probably a good idea.

That's what I thought too. But the convenience was hard to beat.
Moot point now, I suppose.

Oh! Didn't know that either.
So much to learn. I have time now... unfortunately.

Would've been our first cruise, period.
And yeah, I think the 90 days had already gone by.

I feel bad talking about it now that you've had to cancel your plans :sad1:. Maybe Luna's accident is a sign that you're meant to save up a little longer to go on an even better/longer cruise?

What a cutie.
So's Edie.
Edie looks about as shaved as Luna right now. More or less.
I'll be posting a pic on my TR in a bit.

She still looks incredibly happy! I was lucky that Edie didn't need the cone of shame as they used some special type of internal stitching.

But I was glad that I had pet insurance - I had to pay $2000ish upfront but got 85% of it back in the end.

I'll look into the mixology classes - can they be pre-booked or is it first in best dressed once you're on the ship?

I don't think you can pre book them, we had to book ours at Concierge once we got on the ship. It's a ticketed, small event so it tends to fill up. But feel free to be best dressed on the ship as well :)

14 Weeks to Go

rBvQsd.gif

We interrupt this week’s scheduled PTR cruising update for some late breaking news.

tumblr_o0mxswZQSB1sl21koo1_500.gif

Two things have happened for the on land portion of this vacation. One tiny.

free-tiny-gif-857.gif

The other a pretty big change

tumblr_ni8fvyg3x61tb8iyko1_500.gif

But we’ll start with the tiny one.

I’ve been waiting, and secretly hoping, that they would bring back Club Villain to DHS while I’m there.

Club Villain, if you haven’t heard is basically a dinner show held in Hollywood Studios

clubv2306-800x400.jpg

For an additional fee...

tumblr_nzd5jhHhFU1rygkevo1_540.gif

It’s meant to be fantastic and when I saw this twitter post about it coming back during the week I was straight online to try and get my spot. They only had two dates available when I’m there and one of those is my MNSHHP night so I really only had one option.

So I’m booked in to see this on the 29th of October!!

tumblr_mgycvjW5Hl1rsmfz1o1_250.gif

Ok so the tininess is out of the way – now onto the bigger change.

But first a little back story

xTfywfI.gif

It won’t take long I promise.

After my trip last year I signed up to Universal's Survey Panel and newsletter. I’ve gotten two or three emails a week outlining all the fun things that have been happening and once every 2-3 months I’ve gotten a survey to complete.

I wasn’t expecting anything out of this other than to be the first to see any specials that are released and so far there hasn’t been anything great which is why I just booked a standard package at Royal Pacific Resort all those months ago.

But this morning something happened.

I got the equivalent of the elusive Disney pin code!

2014-10-23-HP5.gif

It was apparently valid for discount rates on the new hotel, Sapphire Falls, and the flagship hotel, Portofino Bay. I thought there was no harm in calling to see what the offer was and it turned out to be fantastic.

I was able to move my stay over to Portofino Bay for not only the same price as I had been paying of Royal Pacific, but in fact, I would be saving an additional $200!!!!! It’s basically the equivalent of 50% of the rack rate.

So of course I did it.

So now I will be staying here

1_BB_Overview_PBH.jpg

In a room like this

port%20queen%20garden%20view.jpg

And I was able to secure my Halloween Horror Night tickets which my TA couldn’t do without cancelling and rebooking my old package!

After all that excitement, that's all I have time for this week – next week I promise we’ll be back on the high seas!

I just booked Club Villain too! :maleficen

Yay for getting to stay at Portofino Bay for cheap, we're staying there in December and I'm so excited.

I feel bad talking about it now that you've had to cancel your plans :sad1:. Maybe Luna's accident is a sign that you're meant to save up a little longer to go on an even better/longer cruise?

That's not a bad way of looking at it.
I do want to do a cruise someday.
And maybe now I'll actually have time to look at the options, etc.

She still looks incredibly happy! I was lucky that Edie didn't need the cone of shame as they used some special type of internal stitching.

Oh, man. That must've been nice.
We're constantly watching her that she doesn't start licking her stitches.... and she's constantly trying.

But I was glad that I had pet insurance - I had to pay $2000ish upfront but got 85% of it back in the end.

Wow. Not bad at all!

Club Villain, if you haven’t heard is basically a dinner show held in Hollywood Studios

Ah. No I didn't know what it was. I'd heard of it, but didn't know what it was.

So I’m booked in to see this on the 29th of October!!

Cool!

I got the equivalent of the elusive Disney pin code!

Niiiice.

I would be saving an additional $200!!!!!

:faint: Not an insignificant saving!

So now I will be staying here

1_BB_Overview_PBH.jpg

That's really pretty. I like that a lot.

And I was able to secure my Halloween Horror Night tickets which my TA couldn’t do without cancelling and rebooking my old package!

Score again!

That's not a bad way of looking at it.
I do want to do a cruise someday.
And maybe now I'll actually have time to look at the options, etc.

That's the spirit!

Oh, man. That must've been nice.
We're constantly watching her that she doesn't start licking her stitches.... and she's constantly trying.

It was. But Edie's a jumper so it was so hard trying to get her to stop moving - a cone probably would have helped!

Wow. Not bad at all!

Yep - it was definitely worth the $30 a month I pay.

Ah. No I didn't know what it was. I'd heard of it, but didn't know what it was.

I'm glad I could enlighten you ;)

Yep. It was definitely nice.

:faint: Not an insignificant saving!

It may allow me to do some things I was on the fence about :laughing:

That's really pretty. I like that a lot.

Who can say no to a faux Italian Riviera?

Score again!

:thumbsup2

But Edie's a jumper so it was so hard trying to get her to stop moving - a cone probably would have helped!

I hear that! Dunno if you read the update on my TR or not. I'm considering attaching... oh... about 25KG of weights to her.

I hear that! Dunno if you read the update on my TR or not. I'm considering attaching... oh... about 25KG of weights to her.

I have read but haven't had a chance to comment yet :sad2:.

And I don't know if it helps but Edie still ran around like crazy and jumped off furniture while recovering and she doesn't seen to have cause any further damage!

And I don't know if it helps but Edie still ran around like crazy and jumped off furniture while recovering and she doesn't seen to have cause any further damage!

Actually, yes it does help.
She seems fine right now. Guess we'll find out for sure when she gets her follow up x-rays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter