I just don't care... small vent

Oversharing and not being able to understand facial/verbal/social cues could actually be a direct result of having a stroke, especially if it was in the right hemisphere of the brain.

Background... One of my coworkers ('A') gets a cab to/from work every day.

The story... A coworker ('B') passes me in the hallway and asks if I've seen 'A'. Me: No, can I help you ('A' and I worked in similar departments and often I can do what he does)?
B: Well, you may know I had some medical issue (he might have said a small stroke) a while back and I'm still not allowed to drive. I have to be in at 6am on 'x' day to fill in for 'C', and my wife is working late the night before and won't be home until 1am. It wouldn't be good for me to ask her to bring me to work, so I wanted to talk to 'A' about the cab company he uses and how much it costs and how reliable they are. Can you tell 'A' I'm looking for him?
Me:uh, sure.

Why are people so willing to share medical issues? I'm sorry, I really don't care. A simple "I need to talk to him about the cab company he uses" would have been just fine.

I was about to share what I thought of this situation, but never mind... I'm sure you don't care.

On a scale of oversharing, with 10 being a vivid description of one's colonoscopy and 1 being their name, I give this one a 3. :rolleyes1

One of my coworkers (a male in his early 60s) is an 11 on your scale. I (a female in my early 30s) really, really, really don't need to hear about his colonoscopies (yes, plural), his colon cancer (in detail), his ostomy bags (my aunt had the same surgery, I never heard any details... and heck, she's my AUNT!), the surgery to close his ostomy, how he has to go to the bathroom at least twice and hour and everything else that I even think is too embarrassing to share with a board where nobody knows me or him or will every get to know one of us.

Giving an explanation of why you need to aks "A" about the cab company (and you are not just too lazy or too posh to take a car) is a max. of 3 on that scale. 1 being "Hi, I am looking for "A", have you seen him?" and 2 being "Can you tell him I am looking for him".

That is how differently people percieve situations ;)

OP. Maybe your co - worker should have tried to use as little words as possible. Like......

Man who get cab!
You know?
I look for him.

Would that be better?:confused3

:laughing:

So what? We should care that you don't care??? You're not that interesting.

I would tend to find the answer given to OP to be tiresome as well. And it's all in the presentation. I could imagine myself zoning out midway through that. OTOH, if he had simply said, "I'm not supposed to drive & need to see about a cab", it would have piqued my interest enough to ask why and then listen. I guess I just enjoy an actual conversation more than being force fed someone's life story against my will - even if we cover the same ground either way :rotfl:

I think this is exactly me.

Honestly, all that details given by "B" wasn't strictly necessary - it was oversharing. There may be good reasons for it, it could just be "B's" personality etc., but that doesn't change the fact that extraneous details were given. The OP obviously wasn't in the mood to listen to an explanation. Maybe they are a "get to the point" person like I am. I am either trying to accomplish something or I am chatting - I am not used to the two getting mixed up. If you are asking me for help then get to the point. We can chat afterwards. ;)

I know I should care that you don’t care about someone that I think you should care about.
However I don’t care that you don’t care about us not caring about you not caring about this person.

It’s all about caring (or not) ;););)

Why did you share this boring story about an unfortunate co-worker needing help? I really don't care... Sounds like what you did to your co-worker, doesn't it?
Actually, no. It would only be similar if you went somewhere I didn't know and talked about how an anonymous poster on a message board told a story you didn't really care about. :confused3 And then why would I care if you did that?

Another typical day on the Dis.

A poster starts a thread, finds out most people don't agree with them, then has to argue with every single one of them.

Another typical day on the Dis.

A poster starts a thread, finds out most people don't agree with them, then has to argue with every single one of them.
Actually, I didn't. But don't let a little something like facts get in your way. :cool1: It's ok.

Perhaps what you considered too much information was his way of assuring you convey the message to the intended person. He didn't just need to chat about cabs whenever he had a chance but as soon as possible. Many times if we understand a situation we are more prone to want to help or help sooner. How many messages are forgotten at work sometimes?

Seriously? This bothered you? Are you not one who likes to socialize/chat? Even so, it seems strange that it would bug you unless he went into detail. :confused3

marcgiu said:
OP. Maybe your co - worker should have tried to use as little words as possible. Like......

Man who get cab!
You know?
I look for him.

Would that be better?:confused3

:lmao: I turned red from laughing so much at that.

Good theory. What got passed on... "A, B's looking for you."

IMO, the important point was: He had to be at work at 6 am.
In order to impress upon you why he needed to speak to A: He related a couple of minor comments about his health and wife's schedule precluding him from driving or depending on her. It was not just a friendly request to chat with A; he NEEDED the information for work.

If he had missed a large number of days of work because of his health problems, perhaps it was VERY important to have a reliable cab service that got him to work on time. I hope, for his sake, he did not depend on you as the sole source of contact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter