I hate having neighbors

All she had to do is CALL a couple of other window companies like I did. I gave them the measurements and guess what, they gave me an estimate. It took a total of 15 minutes to call 2 places. It was an accident, not like my kids were going around shooting people's windows. The glass wasn't shattered so it wasn' like she didn't have windows in her house. I offered so pay for it, I was going to set up the companies coming over to INSTALL THEM. I asked for some info to get things started and she ignores me but then can come over to hand me a bill. Would you be pissed, yes you would.

Yeah no offense but there's no way I would let someone else pick the company or the window. She could (in theory) hand you 3 estimates but say I want to go with the middle estimate or the most expensive estimate because they are a better company to work with or they got a bad feeling from the others. Then what would you do? Tell her you are only paying for the cheapest? Well that's not fair because now she has to compromise and do something uncomfortable for her because of something your children did.

What if she did say ok I'll go with the company you say. The window starts leaking and the company won't fix it. She comes to you and says "The company you picked to fix the window has screwed us royally." I'm sure you would brush your hands of the whole thing and your poor neighbor would be left with the aftermath. Where does it end? This way you are done with it. Your conscience should be clear and you and your neighbor can move on. I don't blame her one bit. Lessons learned.

All she had to do is CALL a couple of other window companies like I did. I gave them the measurements and guess what, they gave me an estimate. It took a total of 15 minutes to call 2 places. It was an accident, not like my kids were going around shooting people's windows. The glass wasn't shattered so it wasn' like she didn't have windows in her house. I offered so pay for it, I was going to set up the companies coming over to INSTALL THEM. I asked for some info to get things started and she ignores me but then can come over to hand me a bill. Would you be pissed, yes you would.

No, I would not be pissed. I assume she wants these windows to be the same as the other windows in her house - she gets to find the contractor.

DH has been in some fender-benders, and being that we live in NJ (with crazy car insurance rates), has always asked to pay OOP for the damage. He never dictated where the repairs should be done (even though our close friend owns a auto shop, and could've gotten body work done for cost). It never crossed his mind. Give us the bill, and we will send you a check.

I've live in the suburbs my entire life - no one here shoots bbguns, and air guns are really frowned upon. Just not enough space.

As someone whose neighbor brats shot out my windows, be glad she didn't come over there and punch you in the face.

I'm sure she wishes she didn't have you as a neighbor.

I missed that it was for three windows. How does that happen by accident? :confused3

The neighbor should get at a minimum what she had. If she had good Anderson windows, then that's what she should get. She shouldn't settle for less because her neighbor's kids are irresponsible.

The OP said she kept leaving notes. Did it ever occur to her that the neighbor never received the notes? I think most people would have actually gone over and rang the bell. And if the neighbor wasn't home, she'd keep trying until she reached her.

If your kids did damage to my property, there is no way on earth I would allow you to determine who installed the windows and what kind. My idea of quality could be very different from yours.

Your kids did the damage, now you guys have to suffer the consequences. Frankly, I think $450.00 for 3 windows sounds like a freaking bargain.

I don't disagree with you about that the neighbor is entitled to. She needs to be made whole. But I do think she should have touched base with the OP before she had the work done.

Tuffcookie said:
It is the neighbor's right to hire who she wants to repair/replace the windows. It shouldn't be her concern to try to save you a few bucks if your kids did shoot out her windows.:rolleyes2

TC :cool1:

While I have sympathy for you, I agree. She has the right to chose who she wishes to fix her windows. She doesn't owe you a few estimates. The only thing you could insist on is paying the company directly.

Time to take the BB guns away.

OP, I understand your frustration. Yes, your neighbor might have communicated with you better...but then you could have as well. She should have what she needs to have them replaced (and I'm thinking its just the glass...not the whole window).

If, for some odd reason it was the whole window, then let me assure you that you are getting off cheap! I just replaced 3 windows (the entire unit)....$1,000 for materials and labor.

At least you can put this behind you now and use it as a teachable moment for you (communication...what you prefer and how to help get it) and, as I'm sure you already have, your kids.

Unlike some posters, I believe there are no perfect children...and no perfect parents (me included)!

Hope your week gets better!

Wow. So glad that none of your children have ever done anything that is. . . well, like children.

Kids in this country have bb guns. Get over it. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that someone should not buy their kid one.

It is possible that the kids have something to shoot at and missed and hit the window. Its possible the kids didn't even know that they HAD hit a window. And for all any of you know, she punished her kids. But, where is the proof that it WAS her kids?

and saying the kids are out of control because of something that may have well been an accident is ridiculous.

And what, pray tell me, are the cops going to do? Tell her to pay for the windows, that's it. BB guns are not illegal.

Unless the windows were a brand that can only be bought at one or two places, most brands and types can be purchased by different places and installed by different people. There is nothing wrong with getting more than one estimate. If the homeowner had been paying it, I bet she would have gotten more than one estimate. Just because someone else is footing the bill does not give her the right to pick the more expensive place. (not saying she did, just IF she did)

Sorry OP, but if it were MY house, I would be choosing the installer and I would be choosing the same windows that I already had, regardless of the price of installation and if the estimates varied. MY house, my choice. Not my fault it happened so I shouldn't have to compromise. If you aren't happy with the price of the repair, take it up with your kids, not me.

It is the neighbor's right to hire who she wants to repair/replace the windows. It shouldn't be her concern to try to save you a few bucks if your kids did shoot out her windows.:rolleyes2

TC :cool1:

Yup. Some where someone is probably complaining about having neighbor kids that shot out the windows.

It would be very kind of the neighbor to bend over and help you but she is under no obligation to do so. Granted there is no actual proof your kids were the ones that did it but you assumed responsibility and you now have to pay what she asks.

My kids have done stupid stuff and I had to pay the piper. I was also the stupid kid that did stuff and so was my brother. My parents had to pay for the damages. My son has a BB gun so I'm not harping on you to be an jerk. I hate them and think they do nothing but cause problems but dh had one as a kid and turned out ok and it's a right of passage thing to him so ds has one. If he shoots out a window, it's going to suck for me. The end. Make the kids pay for it or work it off by helping you.

Wow. So glad that none of your children have ever done anything that is. . . well, like children.

Kids in this country have bb guns. Get over it. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that someone should not buy their kid one.

It is possible that the kids have something to shoot at and missed and hit the window. Its possible the kids didn't even know that they HAD hit a window. And for all any of you know, she punished her kids. But, where is the proof that it WAS her kids?

and saying the kids are out of control because of something that may have well been an accident is ridiculous.

And what, pray tell me, are the cops going to do? Tell her to pay for the windows, that's it. BB guns are not illegal.

Unless the windows were a brand that can only be bought at one or two places, most brands and types can be purchased by different places and installed by different people. There is nothing wrong with getting more than one estimate. If the homeowner had been paying it, I bet she would have gotten more than one estimate. Just because someone else is footing the bill does not give her the right to pick the more expensive place. (not saying she did, just IF she did)

The OP stated that she wished they lived in the country or suburbs. That makes me assume that they live in an area with close neighbors.

She does not live in the Country.

The price was quite reasonable for three windows. Don't forget the hassle the homeowner had to go through. Three broken windows, lining up the work, being available for the work to be done. You can bet if my kid shot multiple times at a neighbor's window, that would have shown me that they are not responsible to have a BB gun at all.

Did I miss it somewhere? Did the OP ever say the kids didn't get in trouble? That the kids didn't have to give up the gun? That she wasn't mad at the kids? That they weren't "working off" the expense?

Oh wait, this is the DIS where unless stated otherwise everyone needs to assume the worst about a poster. :rolleyes:

OP, IMO, it would have been nice for the neighbor to get quotes from other repair places, but was that truly an option? Were they custom windows or something that only the installer could repair? While the way she handled it would be frustrating, I don't see it as a "hill to die on".

It would have been nice if the other neighbor hadn't let her kids shoot bb guns if there were not responsible enough to do so. I am guessing this is not the first run in with these kids and this family. What kid shoots out a neighbors windows? 3 of them? 3 is not an accident!

OP please tell us you took away the BB guns and made your kids walk over and apologize to this neighbor. You are lucky she was this nice, I would have called the police.

When I was a kid, another kid in my class lost the sight in one eye because the neighbor kid shot a bb gun from his yard into the other yard and the poor kid just happened to be coming around the corner when the shot was fired.

So the way I see it, if your kids are unsupervised with bb guns to the point where they are shooting it in your yard towards someone's HOME, you're lucky all you're paying for is replacing windows.

Taking the stance that OP & her children need to accept responsibility for what they damaged is hardly calling for their heads on pikes, or trying to claim BB guns are illegal. They are capable of inflicting serious injury and/or property damage & should be used with respect. I'm willing to accept this was accidental since no evidence suggests otherwise. The right thing to do is clean up for your mistake and all is good.

ETA: Any of the 3 window companies we have had do work in our homes over the years required repairs by authorized persons only in order to keep the warranties valid. Aside from the builder's grade type windows you can get at the big box stores, I think this is pretty much the norm anymore. We just went through this earlier this year when several of our current windows were damaged in a fluke situation when we had the walls insulated. It's the only time either the window company or the insulation company, both of whom are extremely reputable, have ever had this issue come up. Repairs which did not involve the actual glass or sash portions of the windows, only trim, required a full day to repair & cost about $1,000.

My DS15 has a BB gun, but his mean Mommy won't let him use it at his house. ;)

He can only use it at the farm or at a friend's house out in the country.

The OP is the exact reason we don't let him use it in the subdivision. Not letting your kids shoot a BB gun in a close neighborhood is just common sense.

I am really curious how old these boys are who are shooting bb guns without supervision. As a nurse I can tell you it could have been WAY WORSE than a few broken windows. And what are they shooting at anyway? Targets? Animals? Each other? Plastic cups? It always shocks me that people think this is a safe, fun toy.

Pakey said:
I think $450 for 3 windows is a steal. Also, there's no way I would have bothered with 3 estimates or allowed an unauthorized person to install the windows.

This exactly.

I chose who works on my house - not anyone else. I was one of those that had expensive low-e windows in one of my houses once. No way would i have tolerated someone telling me that I had to get multiple estimates and then allow someone's husband to install them. No thanks.

I'm surprised she didn't file a police report in case there was ever a question.

Like others said be glad it was only $450. That truly is cheap.

She is not disputing it was her kids. Why should she waste her time getting more than one estimate? Time is money. She already has to waste her time waiting around getting them repaired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter