• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Cut My Hair! I'm getting [Dread] Locs! UPDATED - Pg 39!

Good luck with ur dreads. I so wouldnt be able to pull it off, nor would i be able to cut my hair. Take good care of them and they'll look good. Are you gonna do the upkeep yourself or keep going to the salon? My ex started and maintained his dreads on his own, occasionally he'd get it done by girls in the building :-)mad: ) but for the most part he did it himself. they grew pretty fast too. I bet urs will look better than his. :thumbsup2

Well, MY(now) EX does his own upkeep as well. Since this whole thing is new to me, I'll be going to the salon. In fact, I just went back for my second wash and retwist on Friday!!! "So fresh and so clean - clean . . ."

I'm coming out of lurkdom! I've been following along and LOVE that you were brave enough to take the plunge! Your locs look great and I can't wait to see how your look changes as it all grows out. :thumbsup2

I'm coming out of lurkdom! I've been following along and LOVE that you were brave enough to take the plunge! Your locs look great and I can't wait to see how your look changes as it all grows out. :thumbsup2

Hey! Thanks for DeCloaking! (yes I'm a Star Trek fan)

My computer is down right now, so for my progress pics, I'll share some from my trip report!

f0de02e5.jpg

Here's a shot featuring my Tinkerbell earrings that I wish I could wear in my "real life". Here you can see how neat they stayed while in WDW. Even though it's only been 2 weeks, they are a bit longer, and thicker than what you see here.

IMG_2926.jpg

Here's another side shot, taken outside of LeCellier.

IMG_2908.jpg

And here's a forward facing shot.​

My hair really seemed to thrive while on vacation! It looked great, and wasn't dried out at all.

I must admit that I was surprised by the number of compliments I got while at WDW! Some women even said that they wished they could do that with their hair!

My hair is starting to Loc Up! About of third of them can not be combed out! So I'm very glad that it's happening very fast!

Hopefully, my computer will be up soon so I can take more pics for my next update!

Thanks everyone for reading so far!
Next update Page 11 Post#154
:wave2:

LOVE the Tinkerbell ear rings, where did you get them?

Your hair is looking very nice!
Thanks! I think I got them from MouseGears at EPCOT. But I also saw them at World of Disney at Downtown Disney.

MY DEAR GLENDA,
I AM SO SORRY I AM NOT THRILLED WITH YOUR DREADS. YES WHEN I FIRST SAW THEM I WAS SURPRISED EVEN THOUGH I KNEW YOU WAS GETTING THEM. IT IS SOMETHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED SO I'M HAPPY FOR YOU. THERE IS KNOW NEED YOU TO GO THOUGH LIFE WONDERING HOW IT WOULD LOOK NOW YOU KNOW. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL TO ME WITH OR WITHOUT THE DREADS. HAVE FUN.
MOM:dance3:

Hey everybody! My laptop has a virus, and I still don't have it back yet! But believe me, I WILL continue updating this thread when I get it back!

I can report that my hair started to loc up while I was in WDW in September. So now, they are a little fatter, really fuzzy, and a little wild. In the book Nice Dreads, the author said that this is period when most people give them up. But I'm gonna hang in there! Hopefully soon, I'll be able to post some pics!

Thanks to youtube and other sites, I've started doing the maintenance on my hair. I hope this really works out for me, because it would be GREAT to not have to go to the shop to get it done.

Well I hope you all will check back! I can't believe it's already been TWO MONTHS!

See ya later!
-Gmax

Thanks Mom for your post! Glad you've finally seen the thread!
Thanks "keepmovingforward"! I think I'll keep her! HA!

:dance3: :dance3:
My Fellow DISers! For all of you who intend on meeting up with me Sept. 6 - 13, you may not recognize me. I look a bit different from my Avatar now. Look what I did on yesterday . . .

BEFORE . . .

IMG_2736.jpg
IMG_2739.jpg

DURING . . .

IMG_2743.jpg
IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg
IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg
IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

AFTER . . .

IMG_2754.jpg
IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

(One of the Hairstylists who was REALLY nice to me, and cautioned me about cutting off most of my hair!)

IMG_2756.jpg

(My neighbor who went with me for moral support and kept me from crying.)

IMG_2757.jpg

(Taken at my Mother's job the same day. She is SOOO mad I did this!)

So there you have it DISers! The first day of me growing [Dread]locks! Or as we say in the Black community, Locing my hair! Hopefully in a few years I'll have long beautiful Locs!

Update Pics:
Pages 7 and 10

GLENDA I POSTED MY OPINION ABOUT YOUR DREADS. IN POSTING I HAVE A MISSPELLED WORD. THOUGH SHOULD BE THREW AND I CAN'T FIND IT TO CORRECT IT. DISERS PLEASE OVER LOOK IT.THANKS. AFTER I FINISH READING GMAX THREAD I.LL GIVE YOU MY ACCOUNT OF THE STORY. :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:
THE MOTHER (smile)

:dance3: :dance3:

GLENDA I POSTED MY OPINION ABOUT YOUR DREADS. IN POSTING I HAVE A MISSPELLED WORD. THOUGH SHOULD BE THREW AND I CAN'T FIND IT TO CORRECT IT. DISERS PLEASE OVER LOOK IT.THANKS. AFTER I FINISH READING GMAX THREAD I.LL GIVE YOU MY ACCOUNT OF THE STORY. :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:
THE MOTHER (smile)

Hiya Mom!!!! Nice to see you posting! And no worries about the misspelling (((hugs)))

Hi Glenda's mom! Just to let you know, everyone on the DIS loves your little girl! Must be because you did such a great job raising her...Thanks!:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Don't worry about any typos! We all do that!:thumbsup2

Hey everybody, a computer virus is responsible for the lack of updates. I'm currently re-installing software, and should be up and running in a few days!

I'm still happy with my hair, it's growing well, and my Mother and I are NOT in counseling! HA!

Can't wait to show you all the pics!

See ya REAL soon!

-Gmax

Yup--my hair is just weird that way. A lot of times in the summer, when we go swimming, I won't wash my hair right away and overnight it's a big ol' mess of dreddy goodness.:rotfl: It takes forever (and a lot of detangling spray!) to comb out.

I've seen a white chick at our library storytime who has dreds a couple of times but it just looks totally gross. They don't smell (not that I can tell) and I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to properly phrase the question if I asked her about how/why she went about dredding her hair.

First, I think your hair will look great, I love that look!!

Second, this whole conversation about hair stinking is making me giggle. One of my friends asked me if my hair smells like a wet dog when I wash it because that is what she heard! :rotfl: :rotfl: Needless to say this conversation was started at Happy Hour, and it got even funnier.

Finally, I can update this thread!

After getting my hair washed and re-twisted about 3 times at the shop, I decided to try to do it on my own. I enjoyed going, but at $60/visit, it was getting expensive. Also, I wanted control over my hair - to be able to do it whenever I wanted. Thanks to many internet sites, and youtube, I got ALOT of instructions and tips for taking care of my hair. So below are pics after I started doing it.

October:

IMG_3426.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg

This was a good month for me. They were really starting to thicken up, and when I washed them they didnt come out.

November:

Look at how big they are! I hadn't done my hair in 3 weeks, and I was about to wash it (no I wasnt smart enough to take an after pic :sad2: ). My hair actually photographed worse than it looked. But at least here you can see how they are thickening up. After I washed it, of course they were neater and shinier.

IMG_3452.jpg

And few other shots . . .

IMG_3451.jpg
IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

Well, I'm still very excited about my hair. My Mother is actually starting to like it. At Thanksgiving, my family liked it, and said that it was actually very becomming :scared1: So I guess I should call the Dr.Phil Show and cancel!

Next time I WILL take after pics so you can see how nice it looks afterwards!

Thanks for checking in!

-Gmax :wave2:
Scroll Down For More . . .

OOH! Your dreads are looking great! BIG difference just in the last month! I can't wait to see what it looks like by New Years!
How funny that your family is coming around on them. Next thing you know your mom will be getting them!

OOH! Your dreads are looking great! BIG difference just in the last month! I can't wait to see what it looks like by New Years!
How funny that your family is coming around on them. Next thing you know your mom will be getting them!
HA! Not a chance!

Isn't it amazing how fast hair grows? Your dreads look great!
Thanks! I'm just sorry they don't photograph well :confused3 I'll still keep posting pics though. This week when I do it, I'll post before and after pics! Hopefully they'll turn out better!

Thanks for reading and commenting! :wave2:

Wow! They have really filled out in such a short time. Lookin' good lady! :thumbsup2

Your hair looks great Glenda.:thumbsup2

It's amazing how fast your hair will grow when you just leave it alone. I had to learn that hard way.:lmao: Older folks had been telling me that for years, but I didn't believe it.

I"ve thought about getting dreds a few times, but I don't have the guts to do it. I did get my hair braided and twisted last week. Twist are as close the dreads as I'll ever get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter