I Cut My Hair! I'm getting [Dread] Locs! UPDATED - Pg 39!

Get outta town Glenda - I love it! :thumbsup2 Believe it or not, my hair locs very easily - I started with braids and the new growth just kind of did it itself after a few months so I let it do its thing... bad move. There was NO shaping or organization invovled and it just got bushy and gross. You've got everything right where it needs to be - pretty now and it'll stay that way!

I am so going to get you. You send me this info about natural hair care products, forums, and ask me these questions about natural hair/locs for me to find out you got locs by sending me a link to this thread:rotfl: . You were suppose to call me. Plus you kept saying you were going to wait and let your hair grow out some more. So this was a surprise to me. It looks good:thumbsup2 .

I love being natural. I got mine back curly on Friday. When you see me on Sept 6th it will be in a poof ball.

I love how your mother is looking. You should of made your brother take a picture with you. Before you know it, you locs will be like my friend's , whose picture i sent you.

I think your hair looks great. I had no clue how they started them.

Don't worry about what anyone else has to say. It's your hair and your head.

Oh Glendamax, I love that look. I'm so jealous of you. :goodvibes

Especially since they think you can't wash it, and it'll stink!

Yep, even I thought that until I met my second cousin who had 'em She taught me lots.

But when I met her we were driving out to a family reunion, and she had just cut hers (not all the way off, but a "trim"), and you do NOT do that by yourself. She was shedding so bad it looked like a huge blonde cat had exploded on my black fabric car seats. :headache:

I looks really cool and interesting now and when it grows out a little it's going to be so pretty! I love the natural look -short, long, afro, dreads. I think it's a very sexy look.

I have a question, though. Did you have to cut your hair first? If so, why?

I am on my computer at work so the pictures did not show up. I can't wait to see them when I get to my home computer in the morning!

It looks great! I loved the Youtube video too, she is soooooo creative with her hairstyles.

Okay, I have a dumb question. Was getting your hair cut short part of the process of doing salon-style dreds? I always thought they started long and stayed that way.

I think it looks cool and definitely want to see pictures as they develop.

My son, who is an artist and musician who loves sticking out in a crowd, would like to have dreds. He's researched them a good bit but hasn't done anything. His hair is long and very blond. Did I mention that he's white?:rotfl:

ETA: The reason I think it's funny that he wants dreds is that I'm just not sure his hair CAN do it. He likes the artistry of them, though.

I watched the 'Happy Birthday Hair' video...lol, it was sooo much more interesting than I thought. I do like her results after 4 years.......it was very cute.
Good Luck with your family, I am sure they will come around!

Very cool Glenda and you are so brave to cut your hair short. I know I would have been crying! Plus you're going to feel so good in Disney without a lot of hair on your head or around your neck! Can't wait to see them in person!

How did it go at church? What did your boyfriend think?

How do you wash your hair like that? Is it tight? Does it make your scalp tender?

Sorry to be so full of questions.

So how DO you wash your hair without washing the dreads out?:confused3

I'm a white girl, but I know if I go without washing my hair for more than a couple of days, it starts to 'dred' up on me and it drives me bananas. I don't see how people stand it, but I figure it's their hair, their choice.

Yes, it's gonna be a TRIP in Disney next month. My Mother will not want to be seen with me! I was soooo proud that I didnt cry! The hairstylist said that many people have sat in there and cried!!!!

Well DISers, one of my friends is going to stop by soon, so I'm gonna hop off of here and get ready to devastate her too. So far, here's the list of people's day I ruined:

1. Mother
2. Brother

HA!!!! Well, then there's tomorrow at church!!!!! :rolleyes:

So....what did the Reverend have to say about the new hairdo??? :)

Hey everybody! You know I was excited about telling you all about my hair, anytime I was online on SATURDAY!!!! HA!!!! Thanks everyone for responding and checking out the pics! If I stick with it, you can say that you were there from the beginning! :cutie:

I'll try to answer some of your questions, but remember, I'm JUST starting and don't know alot about the process

I think that you look fabulous. I am completely in luv with the natural look. Even though I get a relaxer about every 6 months, my daughter is and will continue to stay and be natural (well, as long as I can help it - def until after 16 years old).

The young lady did a good job and when it grows out (which it will really fast) it will be even better. :thumbsup2
I can't wait to see how it will turn out! I was really surprised when I saw the back. The first time I saw it REALLY well was after my friend took the pic!

Does it hurt???
I'm wondering that too, they so tight, it looks like they must be pulling on your scalp. :confused3
Nope! All she did was just put some product on each piece, and twisted it around. It's not tight at all. It felt just like when you would twirl your hair around your finger while talking on the phone, or whatever.

How fun! It's gonna look great. :)
Thanks! I hope so!

Get outta town Glenda - I love it! :thumbsup2 Believe it or not, my hair locs very easily - I started with braids and the new growth just kind of did it itself after a few months so I let it do its thing... bad move. There was NO shaping or organization invovled and it just got bushy and gross. You've got everything right where it needs to be - pretty now and it'll stay that way!
Wow! PrincessV looking like a free-formed RASTA!!!!! HA!!! Who would've thunk! I'm supposed to go back every 2-3 weeks for a wash and retwist. So hopefully it won't be too fuzzy inbetween visits!

Thanks for stopping by V!

I am so going to get you. You send me this info about natural hair care products, forums, and ask me these questions about natural hair/locs for me to find out you got locs by sending me a link to this thread:rotfl: . You were suppose to call me. Plus you kept saying you were going to wait and let your hair grow out some more. So this was a surprise to me. It looks good:thumbsup2 .

I love being natural. I got mine back curly on Friday. When you see me on Sept 6th it will be in a poof ball.

I love how your mother is looking. You should of made your brother take a picture with you. Before you know it, you locs will be like my friend's , whose picture i sent you.
I hope my hair does grow quickly - especially before December so my head doesnt freeze!

It was my intention to wait for my hair to grow a bit longer, but I got tired of waiting, and I didnt want to do the "big chop" in the dead of winter!

I think your hair looks great. I had no clue how they started them.

Don't worry about what anyone else has to say. It's your hair and your head.
Thanks! This morning as I was getting dressed, I actually smiled at my reflection! I still cant believe I did it! I'm really glad!

But when I met her we were driving out to a family reunion, and she had just cut hers (not all the way off, but a "trim"), and you do NOT do that by yourself. She was shedding so bad it looked like a huge blonde cat had exploded on my black fabric car seats. :headache:
:lmao:

Great hair!
Thanks Hedy! :wave:

I looks really cool and interesting now and when it grows out a little it's going to be so pretty! I love the natural look -short, long, afro, dreads. I think it's a very sexy look.

I have a question, though. Did you have to cut your hair first? If so, why?
They have to cut off all the permed/straightened hair, because it won't loc - it will just stay straight and stick out. That's why alot of women are scared about doing it! It's hard to say goodbye to MOST of your hair!

It looks great! I loved the Youtube video too, she is soooooo creative with her hairstyles.
Glad you watched it! I LOVE her! I really hope I can stick with it like she did!

GLENDA!:eek:

I LOVE IT!!! :love:

You're going to be so hot! I hope your boyfriend thinks so too!
HEYYYY!!!!! I was REALLY hoping that you would see this! I'm glad you like it! Tell the girls I said Hello!!!! My friend Fee just asked for you all!

Okay, I have a dumb question. Was getting your hair cut short part of the process of doing salon-style dreds? I always thought they started long and stayed that way.
I think it looks cool and definitely want to see pictures as they develop.

My son, who is an artist and musician who loves sticking out in a crowd, would like to have dreds. He's researched them a good bit but hasn't done anything. His hair is long and very blond. Did I mention that he's white?:rotfl:

ETA: The reason I think it's funny that he wants dreds is that I'm just not sure his hair CAN do it. He likes the artistry of them, though.

1. Straightend/permed hair has to be cut off, only the new growth can be twisted and actually loc. It takes years for them to grow long.

2. Tell your son to google "dreadlocks" there are lots of sights for white people who want to do this. Also, there are alot of white people on youtube who shows how they did it. So it can be done - but it won't look quite the same.

It looks great!
Thank You! :goodvibes

I watched the 'Happy Birthday Hair' video...lol, it was sooo much more interesting than I thought. I do like her results after 4 years.......it was very cute.
Good Luck with your family, I am sure they will come around!
I think it'll take a few years for my family to like it. Oh well, it just feels good to wake up and NOT worry about my hair! Hopefully next year, I can make a Happy Bday Hair Video!

Very cool Glenda and you are so brave to cut your hair short. I know I would have been crying! Plus you're going to feel so good in Disney without a lot of hair on your head or around your neck! Can't wait to see them in person!
Being in Disney mostlly hair free was one of the reasons I did it so soon! BUT, I know I'm gonna have some sort of scarf/bandana on at AFRICA HOT Animal Kingdom!!! WHEW!!!

How did it go at church? What did your boyfriend think?

How do you wash your hair like that? Is it tight? Does it make your scalp tender?

Sorry to be so full of questions.
1. Church was fine. Only one lady asked what I did to my hair, but she was smiling.

2. Boyfriend was MIA this weekend. So he still doesnt know. If he comes by tomorrow, he'll find out. If not, I'll email the pics!

3. Washing - since mine are new, and can still be combed out, they have to be washed very carefully then re-twisted. I won't do this on my own. I'm going back to the shop for that. For longer, loced hair, they are shampooed, and conditioned like regular hair, since the hair can not unravel.

So how DO you wash your hair without washing the dreads out?:confused3

I'm a white girl, but I know if I go without washing my hair for more than a couple of days, it starts to 'dred' up on me and it drives me bananas. I don't see how people stand it, but I figure it's their hair, their choice.

Wow, I didnt know that your hair would do that! Mine wouldnt. Even with braids, when I take them out, I can still run my fingers through it! Now, I have no idea about white people and dreads - if they wash them or not. Seems like they would, or they would stink.

she changed her hair and left us. :rotfl2:
HA! Scott you know I'm not on the computer on the weekends!

So....what did the Reverend have to say about the new hairdo??? :)
My church is big, so it's not like I run into him after church. But, when he came in, I didnt notice any second looks!

I like it girl!
Thank you Tosha!

Wow, I didnt know that your hair would do that! Mine wouldnt. Even with braids, when I take them out, I can still run my fingers through it! Now, I have no idea about white people and dreads - if they wash them or not. Seems like they would, or they would stink.

:) My cousin washed hers, but you mainly just get the scalp, not much further down so you're not disrupting anything. And I think she used very mild, special, shampoo or rather, more along the lines of soap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter