I can't believe I ate it all 7day DXDP Reviews-COMPLETE 5-2 QSR&Aloha Dinner Show

I just read what you had posted of your trip report & now just read through this wonderful dining report. Please!!! do not abandon this! I love your writing and would have never of even considered trying escargot if I didn't read your report. And Jiko, I must try it now, even if I have to leave my plain and boring family behind. :rotfl::rotfl:

I loved your reviews. Your review of Chefs de France actually made me change my reservations so I could fit it in for lunch. Thanks, and keep them coming.

I'm doing Deluxe dining my next trip and hearing about the yummy 2 credit dining places in the way you describe them sounds wonderful. Thanks for the expert reviews

My parents once took my sisters and I to a drive in movie. The film was "Bambi". There was a moral in the story--, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

That will sum up nicely my experience with my grandparents at Planet Hollywood.

Now, with the most recent unpleasantness out of the way, I am glad to announce that I have spent the last two academic quarters in Seminary, and have been very, very busy. I apologize for the great delay in finishing these reviews.

So, for my next meal, I chose a late breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe. I arrived at 9am sharp for my ressie and was seated immediately. I had a lovely young family to my left and an empty table to the right.

My server was fantastic and brought me coffee:surfweb: and Oj and H2O. All three were great.

100.jpg

As I was going on the EPCOT Living Seas with Nemo aqua snorkeling tour after this, I ate big. I had the skillet breakfast. It was a kitchen sink of a meal that began with biscuits and gravy, then potatoes, then scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese. It was hot, fast, and delicious.

101.jpg

The cafe was decorated in typical modernized "Mary Poppins" style (yes, I know this means Victorian, but we are in Disney World, so we say Mary Poppins).

Nice, heavy silverware and nice looking china.

No complaints for this eye-opening establishment. It was busy, yet efficient and without panic.

So glad to find your reviewsas they contain exactly the information I need to plan an anniversary DxDP food centered trip to the world for my husband and I. Can't wait to read more.

Yay! You're back!!!

Seminary? Are you still working as a chef? AND going to school? That would make you very busy indeed. Or have you begun a whole new career? Or were you looking to get ordained to be in ministry in a way other than pastor? Am I too nosy? I'm just honestly interested...

Lovely that you are back to continue to give us your amazing insights. So glad you are continuing the reviews...

:love:
So glad to find your reviewsas they contain exactly the information I need to plan an anniversary DxDP food centered trip to the world for my husband and I. Can't wait to read more.

Thanks Kay,

My trip was exactly that-food centered. There was a time when a food-centric Disneyworld vacation was not a possibility. Over the last 25 years, those folks in FL have made great strides and have tried to stay ahead of the power curve to give us the grown-up dining experience we want in the place where we can all dream like children. As a former foodservice pro, I can tell you, it isn't easy. I hope and pray you and your husband have a wonderful anniversary trip.

"I'm still dreaming of my true love's kiss...":rolleyes:

Yay! You're back!!!

Seminary? Are you still working as a chef? AND going to school? That would make you very busy indeed. Or have you begun a whole new career? Or were you looking to get ordained to be in ministry in a way other than pastor? Am I too nosy? I'm just honestly interested...

Lovely that you are back to continue to give us your amazing insights. So glad you are continuing the reviews...

It is great to hear from you again. I have given up professional chefdom for the ministry. I still cook for those whom I am close to. I am finishing up my first year at the seminary this May. I'll be spending summer at a Christian camp in the real O CANADA! as a director. I'm sure there will be a chance to pitch in on the food now and then.

My seminary choir tour spent an afternoon at DTD this past January. It was great to be back and in the know-and to have a pin lanyard. My buddies cheaped out on me, so I had to eat off DTD property, but it wonderful to play tour guide.

Anything else you want to know, just ask. Don't worry about being nosy.
:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I'm in ... while not a chef I do consider myself quite the foodie and a damn good cook ... love your approach to reviewing your dining experiences. I look forward to reading the rest soon.

I have just found your TR, so while I can't say I've missed you, I AM glad you're back writing more reviews! So nice to hear your opinions- hope you'll continue to find the time in your busy, busy life. :goodvibes

The California Grill
A dinner of epic portions
Once upon a time way back in the winter of 1975 the parents of yours truly ate their honeymoon dinner at the Top of the World and stayed at the American Contemporary resort. I was just a four-month old in the womb, yet there was an affinity to return to this mystical place. Now, the names of the aforementioned venues have changed to just “Contemporary” and “California Grill” respectively. Also, the menu has changed-while my parents reminisce of their showy Cherries Jubilee dessert, the open kitchen now was a new kind of dinner show.
I began by arriving at the Contemporary Resort’s East entrance about 15 minutes before my reservation. I found my way up the escalator the hostess desk for the Grille and gave my name. I was promptly (I am dining alone this evening) taken up the elevator and asked if I would mind sitting at the sushi bar. Understanding fellow restaurant manager I was, complied gracefully. I was seated, and then a couple in their 50s was seated shortly after me. We talked for a bit in between courses and shared each other’s sushi plates. They were lovely people from the northeast U.S.
The restaurant had a problem that evening—the ventilation over the wood-fired grill and pizza oven was out of commission. No flat-bread, no oak grilling. And you would never know the difference. The menu was reprinted and executed flawlessly.
After a glass of excellent Chardonnay, the name now escapes me, by flavor and price tag will be with me forever, my first course, Sushi “Snake in the Grass Roll” arrived.
111.jpg

It was 12 inches of tempura shrimp wrapped in rice, wrapped in avocado, topped with smoked eel fillet and drizzled with an amazing sweet soy reduction. My neighbor’s had some sort of crab roll with a spicy warm scallop sauce. It too was amazing. Freshness was not an issue. Presentation was impeccable. There was no need for soy sauce, pickled ginger or wasabi. The sushi staff was friendly and on the rare moment of a lull, they spoke with customers. Yoshie, the head sushi chef even accommodated two people, who I don’t have much nice to say about, who insisted rather loudly on having shrimp cocktail which was not on the menu. Being Disneyworld, the insistence was not requisite-of course the said item was made without question. If you decide on a sushi appetizer (don’t miss the sushi, this is a good place to try it if you have never had it, because they offer cooked and raw ingredients), and are dining with someone else, share-it is plenty. The trading with my neighbors sort of just canceled out stomach space.

Here are more sushi pics:
110.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

Moving on, it was time for the appetizer-fried oysters in chile-cilantro oil on beds of heart of palm salad. I have to say-oysters are pretty swanky, but then to put them on fresh hearts of palm was even more swanky—This was my first time with fresh hearts of palm (doesn’t exactly grow fresh in Colorado-had to use cans)-it was tender, mild and delicious and a perfect foil for the crunchy breaded oysters. That appetizer was gone in no time.
112.jpg

My wine now meandered to a red heavy thing with a heavy price tag as my beef filet with BBQ sauce, asparagus and mashed potatoes came. Simple is best. The beef was an easy 10 ounces. The sides were ample. The BBQ sauce was slightly more bitter than I like, but none the less high quality. The bread with dinner was fresh and artisan, as expected, and yes, the butter was cold.
114.jpg

I was rather full at the end of this, but had to persevere through dessert.

Dessert was nothing less than expected-a nice warm chocolate cake with a lump of raspberry ice cream and a cup of coffee. It was not too big, which was good.
119.jpg

Then, it was time for a drink. I had been eyeing the 150 year Grand Marnier on the internet menus for months. It was still there. Dare I spend close to $40 on a cocktail?
120.jpg

It was insane, but yes, I dared. Then the lady sitting next to me insisted on one too.
Then, the perfect Walt Disney World Moment occurred. I was handed my drink and told by my wonderful waitress to turn my chair around to face the window. The lights in the restaurant grew dim. The music faded in and the first burst of fireworks occurred as I sipped my orange-infused elixir. For many years I had this scene in my mind from watching it on television and movies. There it was, for real, just across the lake-the castle, the fireworks, and the music. A snippet of “When You Wish Upon a Star” played and I felt a lump in my throat growing. I chased it away with a heavy gulp of Grand Marnier, wiped my eyes with a cocktail napkin and watched everyone in the room, even the staff, smile uncontrollably as the show went on. Moms and Dads held their children. Lovers held each other & kissed, and after it was all over, I toasted my neighbors with the few drops of what was left in my snifter.

After the fireworks and music had ended, applause ensued-for whom I do not know, but mine was for the fine kitchen and dining room staff of this exquisite, yet comfortable gem of a restaurant.
The bill came. On top of my meal plan, I had spent an additional $87 on drinks and Sushi. With tip on that plus the dining plan tip it was more like $120. It was a once in a lifetime experience, which I hope to repeat again in this life. There will be some saving and waiting involved, as new Lutheran pastors don’t make as much money as seasoned hoteliers.
Make no mistake, the California Grill lives up to its rep in service, quality, and price. It is not a quiet experience, with open kitchen and a very busy bar and reservation book. Go. Even if you don’t spend extra money like I did, your three deluxe dining courses are delicious-it is worth the two credits on the DXDP. Have a wonderful time there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter