• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I can't believe I ate it all 7day DXDP Reviews-COMPLETE 5-2 QSR&Aloha Dinner Show

ChefMickey123

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Dining Reviews Complete

Introduction:

As this is my first dining review, I feel it fair and necessary to give a little background information on myself. I am currently winding down an 18 year career in professional foodservice. I have a Bachelor’s Degree from the Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park NY. I am a big guy who likes to eat a lot, and who doesn’t mind blowing big bucks for good food, drink, and service (I was on the Deluxe Dining Plan this trip). Currently, I am the Executive Chef/F&B director of a boutique resort in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

I believe in tipping wait staff, bartenders, doormen (and doorwomen), maitre d’s, drivers, and anyone else in the service industry well. I consider it part of the cost of going out, and will not go out if I cannot afford to tip well.
Your opinions may differ than mine on this and other matters.

Some other things about my dining habits…I have a single food allergy-it is Salmon/Trout. I just don’t order these items. It would kill me to ask a fellow chef to change his/her dish on my behalf. If I can’t have, or don’t want something on the menu that the chef has paired with my selection, I order something else entirely. I realize this is not the way the majority feels, but it is the perspective from which all of these dining reviews will be written. So, if you are looking to see how well a restaurant might handle your special request, I cannot help you.

Also, there will be few reviews in this report about counter service or children’s meals as there were not too many, and those listed will be brief and without photos.

Reviews complete:

Yachtsman Steakhouse Dinner-see below in this post
Chefs de France-Lunch, Post #22
Jiko, "The Cooking Place-Dinner, Post #78
Yak & Yeti Sit Down Lunch, Post #123
Adventures on Planet Hollywood Dinner DTD #169
Grand Floridian Cafe Breakfast #170
California Grille Dinner & Sushi #180
Hollywood Brown Derby#196
Citricos Dinner#`198
Le Cellier Lunch #210
Flame Tree BBQ-Lunch #216
Cosmic Rays Pre-Wishes Snack #216
Port Orleans Riverside Food Court Pizza and Cinnamon Rolls #216
Spirit of Aloha Luau Dinner #216

So, if you have made it this far, I am pleased to present my review of Dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse…
Yachtsman Steak House, Yacht Club Resort, Walt Disney World
April 19, 2009

I arrived at the Yacht Club resort by taxi, and was greeted warmly by a CM, who gave me directions to the Steakhouse. I got lost, but another CM showed me the way. I was greeted warmly at the host podium as I gave
my name.

I was given Family Reunion buttons with the Incredibles on them for my family’s use later in the week. I then was given the option to wait in the bar or on a bench for my table. I opted for the bar. The dim lighting and wooden furnishings was cooling and soothing. The bartenders were friendly. I perused the cocktail menu and decided on the Magic Star Cocktail. This blend of tropical rums and fruit juices was as delicious as it was visually appealing, as the multi-color glowing ice cube’s light played off the ice in the glass.
easterandwdw017.jpg

easterandwdw018.jpg

easterandwdw019.jpg

I was actually seated in the nautically airy dining room 15 minutes earlier than my reservation, so I ended up taking my second Magic Star to the table with me. It disappeared “magically” and in short order, as my server, approached with the menu and wine list.

While waiting for my meal, my server brought out some delicious bread. There were garlic rolls, and sourdough rolls, served with chilled butter and Hawaiian red sea salt.
easterandwdw020.jpg

(It should be noted that all butter I received at WDW was well-chilled, and not soft when served. The bread was always warm to hot, which made up for the cold butter, which I am sure is a company-wide health and storage consideration. Also, in about 75% of the dining establishments in which I had table service, salt and pepper is on request only. I never needed to request it.)

I selected the Seared Sea Scallops with White Diamond Cheddar Risotto for my appetizer. It was fantastic. The fresh scallops were cooked to a perfected medium-rare, and the risotto was the perfect foil for their sea-sweetness. Some thin-cut steamed squash and carrots cleansed the palate in between bites of seafood and rice, while a luscious herb-butter sauce drizzled artfully about the plate elevated the dish to perfection.
easterandwdw021.jpg

This was a well-thought, well-balanced, and well-executed dish. It was well gone from my plate.

For my main course, I selected the Porterhouse with compound butter, medium rare with house-cut fries. It was also served with a small portion of micro-greens and caramelized shallots. All was excellent. The steak was cooked and seasoned perfectly--Meaning that they actually put salt and pepper on the steak in such an amount that it enhanced the steak nicely, without being over powering.

I nearly picked up the steak bones and gnawed on them, but I thought that undignified. The fries were also gone, as well as the shallot microgreens. The suggested glass of Bordeaux I ordered with the steak disappeared as well.

easterandwdw022.jpg

I opted for vanilla crème brulée and coffee for dessert.

easterandwdw024.jpg

easterandwdw023.jpg

The crème brulée was luscious, and the berries with it provided a great contrast to the richness of the custard and its crunchy caramel topping. Even the coffee was good.
The service throughout the evening was impeccable. I needed not to ask for anything, but it was there when I wanted it.
The non DXDP portion of my bill was about $34 for two cocktails and the wine. $69 was the DXDP portion(2 credits), and I tipped the suggested 20% for both tickets. So, yes it is a pricey place, but you more than get what you pay for. I will return someday. 5 out of 5 if you are keeping score.

Tune in next time when I review Lunch for 2 at Chefs de France, Epcot.

Loved the Yachtsman review ... it's on our shortlist for this fall and reading about it from the perspective of someone in the industry makes me even more inclined to make an ADR. I'm looking forward to reading more. :goodvibes

Great review! I enjoyed the pictures as well. I'm hooked on this one!

Great review so far. We are eating in the Steakhouse for our first dinner. We also have a few of the same reservations so I can't wait to read your reviews before we go.

I'm in! Great review of the Yachtsman. This is one place that I have been back and forth on. It should interesting reading the comments from someone with your background! :)

Love you!!! I mean, love it!!! No seriously, you are killing me so far!!! Can't wait for the rest. You and I see eye to eye on food and wine. And I would have gnawed the bones.

Your first review was great and I cannot wait to read more.

It's so nice to know that there are still people out there who believe that if you cannot afford to eat and tip properly, to find somewhere else to eat where you can afford to. Also, I completely agree with you about ordering dishes the way they are prepared and by the restaurant recipe, without all sorts of modifications.

Excellent Review! Thank you so much for sharing the exact kind of information that I need. Can't wait to read your other reviews! :yay:

I'm in. Great review.:thumbsup2

Loved the Yachtsman review ... it's on our shortlist for this fall and reading about it from the perspective of someone in the industry makes me even more inclined to make an ADR. I'm looking forward to reading more. :goodvibes

Great review! I enjoyed the pictures as well. I'm hooked on this one!

Great review so far. We are eating in the Steakhouse for our first dinner. We also have a few of the same reservations so I can't wait to read your reviews before we go.

Terrific start- can't wait for more! :thumbsup2

I'm in! Great review of the Yachtsman. This is one place that I have been back and forth on. It should interesting reading the comments from someone with your background! :)

Love you!!! I mean, love it!!! No seriously, you are killing me so far!!! Can't wait for the rest. You and I see eye to eye on food and wine. And I would have gnawed the bones.

Your first review was great and I cannot wait to read more.

It's so nice to know that there are still people out there who believe that if you cannot afford to eat and tip properly, to find somewhere else to eat where you can afford to. Also, I completely agree with you about ordering dishes the way they are prepared and by the restaurant recipe, without all sorts of modifications.

Wow! Sounds like I'm in for some great reviews. popcorn::

sign me up!!

Great start!! Loved the pics and details! :)

I'm in for this one. Great first review.

Excellent Review! Thank you so much for sharing the exact kind of information that I need. Can't wait to read your other reviews! :yay:

You had me at Scallops, I'm subscribed.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, and for subscribing. It means a lot when you take a few seconds to drop me a line. I am going to try and do one review a day until they are all done. Chefs de France lunch should be up within the next 30 minutes.:)

WOW what a lineup! I am so ready for the rest of your reviews, especially Jiko and Cali Grill!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter