How to make $3600 on your disney vacation! WE DID!! NEW 9/3*The Epilogue, DONE* p. 54

I've read the postings...when you decide to write your first mystery novel (ala Stephanie Plum or Kinsey Milhone) I'll be the first one to buy it!

Sign me waiting with baited breath.......

Okay guys. I want to answer each and everyone of you, but if I do that I won't have time to write. I am also trying to read trip reports as I truly just discovered them right before I went on vacation, and then took a DIS hiatus after we returned for about 5 weeks, so I need to read all the other repors. I am starting with the shorter ones first, as I can get through them, and think I will save Zzub for last as he seems to be the grand daddy of them all.

It’s in this one- our windfall. Read on, but don’t skip until you find it and then jump ship to another thread where the writing is funnier, traitor. I have to filibuster just a little but promise, it’s in this post….. I am writing offline today as my high speed is down again. Dagnabit. I feel like Tom Hanks, stranded, isolated and I don’t even have a dang soccer ball. Or was it a basketball? Can’t remember, doesn’t matter. Eh hmmm, stream of conciousness- it drags this report on.

So we are in the air and closing in on Cincinnati. I think of Pete Rose and sigh. I was a baseball fanatic as a kid. Knew every player on the Mets, the Reds, the Phillies and had autographs of Tug, Tom Seaver and lots others but never of Pete. I was in love with these guys. True puppy love. Dreamy gaga. Momofmnm, I like older men too. Always have. Baseball players are all I thought about back then and sometimes still now, come to think of it, but my taste in men has changed somewhat. I am married to the boy next door and wouldn’t have it any other way, but sometimes a girl might look at a menu at another restaurant, "you know that saying you can look aat the menu but don't eat out" Anyway, I was thinking about all the cute baseball players from my childhood and even today.

Oops back to childhood, the wonder years. Went to Turtleback Zoo and got some autographs one day when I was 7. I’ll never forget it. Tom Seaver was beautiful. Ran into Pete at Shea one game and I was awestruck, in my dreams- never happened but I did meet Cleon Jones-he was cool. My mom had Willie May’s autograph, so baseball was a family sport from way back. Next to being a jockey, and an actress, I wanted to be a baseball player back then. Good thing Pete’s fall from grace happened when I was an adult. I would have been shattered….. Hadn’t thought about all that in years. I liked coming through Cinncinati and thinking about how I felt when I was a wee lass, like my kids are now. Makes me remember how I felt, what was important, how the whole world seemed fantastic and wonderful. Recapturing that optimism and joy sometimes gets hard watching the news, reading dreadful story after story in the online news, dealing with mean people. Mean people suck. I love that tee shirt. Ostrich position, please. Guess that’s why the escapism of WDW is so intoxicating to us adults, and from reading some of these posts (which I am now doing, having left the budget boards, wow, talent- you know the big names, I don’t have to mention them- vc, hh) why so many adults like to get intoxicated.

We land without incident. Glory be, because I have to be a brave soldier in the air now that I have kids. The leg is going again. The kids don’t know that sign yet-mom nervous…Stay cool, baby, real cool (I love musicals and West Side Story is one of my favs) and emit aura of calmness. Smile and squeeze the kids’ hands, but not too tight. See, I like control. I suppose we all do, but suspended 35,000 feet over terra firma is just way too little control over my destiny.

DJ and I are feeling pumped. The kids are so happy skipping, not running, through the airport. Jack has assumed the position- being driven in a pram like the little king that he is. He stays in his throne for much of the next two weeks, when we are mobile that is. We see a cnn report on a monitor and bam, the big one is on its way. We look up at the flight screens-they have closed philly, laguardia, jfk, Newark. Holy toledo! We scored! Not a flake of snow here in cin. And Atlanta is closed too! Fog. That had been one of our options, thank sweet mary I chose cin. We’re soarin’ cause we know we’ll be soarin’ soon from the cold to the warmth of sunny mco and on onto soarin’ at the Cot or Epcot to you. We are at the cusp of triumph. I love squirming my way out of a mess. It makes life interesting. The year of living dangerously-the motto of my life, and a super movie, Oh to be like Signourney- what a woman. And Mel, Mel G that is, is high on my list too, although the Mel of these boards is quite the hottie too. You little flirt you.

We arrive at our gate. It is packed. We find an area with no other people in a section so the kids can run in tiny circles without the Mr. Magoo affect. DJ does the ticket thing and I look at how cute our darlings are. Carson has struck up a conversation with a little boy next to him and they discuss the wonders of Buzz. Sky is on my lap snuggling and jack has found another little mike myers with the harness type of kids and they are orbiting around one another making strange intergalactic noises. Me, ever the doom monger, is still a tad nervous. We aren’t out on easy street yet. You know how life is, you think you’re heading into calm waters and it turns out to actually be the eye of the storm and the worst winds are on the other side? DJ comes back.

Me- “All set, hon?

DJ-“Yup, but they asked me if we would be willing to give up our seats.”

Me- “Ha, did you tell them ‘NO WAY’?”

DJ- “Yeah, but they are offering to give us $500 bucks and first class on the next flight.”

ME-(wheels turning)- “First class?” Oooh, a couple of G & T’s for mommy and daddy who have now been up for 30 hours…..

DJ-“It’s 4 hours. This isn’t fair on the kids.”

ME- “The kids, what about us? Yeach, $500 bucks and first class ain’t worth it.”

We all sit and wait. They keep asking for 5 volunteers. My stomach feels a knot. They are short 5 seats. And I see an attendant sauntering over to us. With all the people on this flight, why is she zeroing in on us. You know how you can sense when you are the target way before someone is in your zone? I looked up and tried to gauge what she might be going to say. Have they figured out that we were the five seats that got booked when there wasn’t a seat vacant? Did my sweet gal who put us on this flight somehow mark that we were the last reservations? My leg is really swinging. DOES SHE KNOW IT”S OUR FAULT THEY ARE OVERBOOKED? OKay stuck in cin for 24 hours, here it comes. Well, we got this far, maybe we can go check out the rock n roll hall of fame. Wait, that's cleveland. Dang...

Attendant- Are you sure you folks wouldn’t consider giving up your seat? $2000 in Delta air vouchers, first class on the next flight out and lunch any where in the airport.

DJ- “Thanks, we’ll think about it.” He always acts so cool. Would make a great poker player, only this boy is all about safety.

$2000 – whoa, big fella. Horse of a different color. She got my attention. My adrenalin flows. I see several families listening to the whole thing. I am thinking they might try to horn in on this deal. None of them has little tykes like us-well not as many.

DJ isn’t a wall street trader kinda guy. Decisions come slowly and with great thought behind them. I am a high stakes bidder kind a girl and can still instantly play out the scenarios, make a decision and live with the consequences. I do it fast. Some might call me impulsive, I prefer decisive. I know there isn’t a whole lotta time to debate this one.

I put DJ in charge of this one. The kids have been up since 3, we would be hanging in an airport for 4 extra hours and would miss our afternoon at CBR. But we do see it is raining in Orlando. This is another piece of info to add to the mix.

We calmly hit the pros and cons, and decide to take deal! DJ didn’t balk on this one. Sometimes I am the power player, pushing my agenda on him- a high pressure salesman- but this was an equal partnership and if we had meltdowns in first class on the next flight- oh well.

So my man, the elegant and silent negotiator, goes up to the counter and brings back 2000 buckeroonies in vouchers. That’s how we did it, that’s how we made our mysterious money on our trip. Isn't that awesome? I
ve secretly hoped I'd get a chance to do this, but never have run into the situation. We were and are tickled to get such a big return for 4 hours of 'work'. But for all you mathematicians and detail oriented types, you might be saying $2000 smackers doesn’t make $3,600. Right you are and thus without giving away too much of the details, we end up with 1600 more somewhere at the end of our trip. I want you to stay with me, so for now, you figure it out.

Was this anti-climatic for you guys? I hope not. For anyone who travels with 5 people, you know how expensive it is to go anywhere. I was on cloud nine and promised myself not to be depressed at the end of the trip because now I knew we would get back to Mickey before 2 years time and maybe even swing in a trip to Paris. We always have Paris…..

Part 5- GO TO PAGE 10, post 138

Excellent deal!! I'm really looking forward to hearing all about first class! (I doubt I'll ever experience it first hand) You're doing a super job on this report! Hurry back!

Okay, I really LOVE your trip reports! I can't decide if I'm enjoying remembering that skit with Mike Myers that I haven't thought about in years, or if I'm comforted by the fact that ANOTHER mother made the big mistake of giving her kids blueberry nurtigrain bars on a flight, or maybe just the mental picture of what a steward with the name of Aloha Zuzu may look like?

In any event, I'm enjoying it quite a bit! I can't wait to see what your trip was like once you actually GOT to WDW!

Wow, I'm impressed! I probably would have jumped on the $500!

omg~~

toooooo funnnnyy!!!!

tooo coool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not anticlimactic at all seeing as though we have 1600 more to learn about...I am betting it has something to do with margaritas, table tops and hip swaying....am I hot?? Warm??? Lukewarm????

those farmgirls KNOW how to lay it down...your not foolin' us...SHY...like we are supposed to take your word for it???

:sunny:

your writing is good sistah!

oh nowells: heres the thing...three kids later 500 bucks won't get you a bus ticket to Kansas...you must go for broke when you birth so many offspring

Wow! I'd have jumped on the $500 too, but I guess holding out worked out for the best! Great report. Can't wait for the rest. :goodvibes

I want to hear more about the potty stops!! lol
Those were always such fun with little ones!

Very much enjoying your report! Our kids are about the same ages as yours, we also rock the minivan, (no DVD though, couldn't do it) but my daughter only WISHes we had horses and ponies.

Thanks for sharing your family's adventures. I look forward to reading more!

KPK

Wow - I hope your 4 hours didnt turn out longer than that. I always want to take them up on the offer but I never have - can't imagine doing it with kids in tow. Enjoying the reports - looking forward to more

wow that is great, i probably would have jumped at the $500 too. But I bet you are glad you waited. I can't wait to hear the rest. I am hooked. Hurry back . :rotfl:

Ah ha! I figured that's what it was. $500 is chicken feed. Good for you that you held out. DH and I once got bumped twice in a row within a couple hours of the original flight time, then took a third bump that required an overnight stay. We got dinner, overnight in a very nice hotel, breakfast, and three each ticket vouchers (one for each "bump") for flights to anywhere in the continental US within the next 12 months. Unfortunately 9-11 came along and we weren't much in the mood for flying, so only ended up using one set of our free tickets. So, while our "take" was worth around $3,000 we never got the full benefit of it.

Great trip report. I'm enjoying it very much.

Just read the whole, thread, darn now I'm late for work, should have waited till I got to work to read it.....lol

waiting for the next installment :surfweb:

wvgoofyfan said:
...To the person who asked a while back: How long does it take to clean a horse stall?

Forever, especially in winter, when you must wait for a warm day to shovel and pitchfork!.......

...... :lmao: :lmao:

horsegirl said:
So we're sitting at the airport with 45 minutes until blast off. DJ and I get huge lattes-trying in vain to keep up with the kids' adrenalin. I watch the other kiddies in the gate area. Why are they all sitting down reading a book and just mellowing at their mama's breast? Our 3 look like Mike Myers on Saturday night live when he was the tethered little boy eating a chocolate bar with Nicole Kidman. Some of you must know that skit. He's got the leash that parents use with those little ones who tend to roam. Only problem is mother hooked him to the jungle gym and little mikey has so much energy he pulls it down the block. Maybe I am imagining this but everyone else's kids seem so well, tame. There is even a little toddler just contentedly sitting on a chair. No bribes, no restraints, just sitting like a 50 year old. How do people get these kids to do this? Mine have knocked over the ropey things designed to properly queue. You know, the metal posts with the big ropey things that kids love to swing on, and my dear princess keeps running and nearly knocking into people. I try to contain them, I really do. I am not obliviously reading the Times or anything, it's just they are excited.

So I do what always works, pull out the goodies. This keeps there attention for 2 minutes and I think back to our last disney trip 2 years ago when I went a few days early with our 2 oldest and dh and little Jack joined us later.

That trip Sky and Carson and I boarded with blueberry fruit bars in hand. Never do that, never- hand prints all over the ramp walls and plane door that matched only my kids' handprints. And all over their faces. Kidless parents look disgusted.......blueberry on the face is pretty gross, I must say. Anyway we get all strapped in, and wait. I was a less experienced parent then and boarded the minute they allowed parents with younguns to board. Mistake, that was 40 minutes to liftoff. Anyway we finally head toward the runway and turn around. We sit there for hmmm, I think it was an hour and they bring on technicians. We are there for another few hours and finally 5 hours later take off. This was not long after 9/11 and I seriously contemplated getting off and taking another flight. Wait a minute, I did do that. I remember now because the plane wasn't working or something. SO we were rerouted on another airline, but got to MCO like 6 hours after the original arrival time and missed our rendevous with Grammy J (DJ's mom) who is a worry wart and didn't get my message before she flew out that we were delayed.

So for the seconds it takes to play that whole scenario in my mind, as the kids are sitting eating and DJ is working on details like plane side stroller check in, I wonder if something like that could happen this morning. Not a chance I think, and nervously sit there, my leg probably the only clue to anyone who knows me that I am stressing, cause it is moving back and forth a mile a minute.

The boarding call begins and we watch our fellow crewmembers all board. At the last final second we hop on, and within maybe 10 - 15 minutes were are in the air. SUCCESS!!!!! The seating is good, and the kids are finally allowed to break into their backpacks, which really are more like Christmas stockings, as they are stuffed to the brim with new bobbles and fandoogles. There are wrappers and crumbs all over the aisle and at their feet.

The DKs were wonderful on this leg, and for some reason the stewardess whose name was aloha or zuzu or something unique kept throwing bottled water and granola bars at us. I felt like when we go to the movies and I hide the store bought candy bars and drinks in my coat and my pockets are real heavy. Okay, I admit it. I smuggle cheap food into movie theaters. I can't help myself. The only real excuse I can come up with is that I am cheap. Not about some things but about this thing.

I am always in search of the most compact and perfect little goodies to entertain them on long trips. This year's prize were little mini digital cameras that are on keychains. Have you seen them? Gleaming white for Carson like his Daddy's apple laptop, aquamarine for baby Jack who is happy with whatever color and pink for my part princess part prince girl who happens to like all things pink. I couldn't wait to give these to the kids. What a great thing to have for their trip. Fabulous shots from their perspective of cut off heads, ****s, characters from 3 feet high. I had visions of DJ and I downloading them each night and chuckling as the angels slept dreaming of sugarplums. Oh wait that's another story. It took 20 minutes to open each package, but mom and dad were not the one's who figured out how to do it. No scissors allowed in the air, and you all know those impenetrable plastic packages that some security genius came up with in a brainstorming teambuilding session. I cut my finger on one and Jack starts writhing and screaming because he can't wait for it to be open. We still couldn't open them, and finally we just give it to Jack. ANd what do you know, he got his opened eventually. Light bulb!!!!. Let him open his brother's and sister's too. That should be good for a while. This worked and finally after about an hour our three kids had their cameras. It took a while to get them to work, why didn't we preassemble these doggone things like we do christmas eve? DJ is a huge techno geek, not to be confused with a spectro geek (I cannot digress more on them, but feel the need to later!) and he got all the cameras going. Snap, snip, snop. 70 pix on each camera done in a millisecond, I kid you not and we can't download them, as the cords on each of them had the wrong type of fitting. OMG, all that mommy hype and euphoria in finding, hiding and presenting these little beauties to my cuties and after 1.5 hours of tugging, prying and fixing it is done in a matter of minutes. Talk about a mini let down!!! This caused Jack further frustration, because now he can't use the thing- and it turned out we never used them again. I also found great little flashlights on keychains for the kids and aloha zuzu runs over and says we can't use flashlights on board. Great- another gadget snafu and who can blame Jack for being frustrated. My obsessive guilt ridden mind gives itself several wacks for not better preparing and researching the activities portion of the trip. Poor DJ, I made this leg so complicated.......

I have to stop, the bus is here and peter pan (Carson) and snow white (sky) are home. Ta ta all you people.

Ooh, I just came back to fix a typo as my kididdles were coming in right when I was getting ready to proof this. So as I was scanning this text, I see a word blanked out! Very impressive you moderators. I apologize. I try to use my family persona here, but everynow and then the barngirl, horse tracky chick comes out! the word was something like melons that started with a b- as I am thinking some people also have many pix of those taken by their kids- you know eye level and all that...

.... OMG,omg,omg,omg,it'slikeI'm comingdownoffasugar-rush"High"andtheadrenelinisstillpumpingthroughoutmybody...can't wait till' my next 'fix'... :teeth:

horsegirl said:
.....Went to Turtleback Zoo and got some autographs one day when I was 7.…..

....I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!! C'mon, now, ADMIT IT, you are a JERSEY GIRL!!! (You'd make 'the BOSS' sooo proud!! :teeth: )

I talk too much. I deleted this as it had nothing whatsoever to do with my trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter