How to eat yourself sick in Disney, a step by step guide (UPDATE: 1/21 RAGLAN ROAD!)

Destructsean said:
12/02

We had a pretty uneventful flight (thankfully) to Orlando.

Christina ordered a hot tea.

I was tempted to order a stiff drink, but there wasn’t enough turbulence to put me into “I need some assistance with this flight” mode. :goodvibes

Stay tuned.

I bought my $5 glasses of wine on the flights to and fro, and I didn't really care that it was only 11am on the flight home! Worth every penny.

Welcome all!!

I bought my $5 glasses of wine on the flights to and fro, and I didn't really care that it was only 11am on the flight home! Worth every penny.

Haha, I had to have a drink or two on the way home. Something to take away the pain.

12/03

I thought I’d try to stay on the healthy path I’ve been on for the past year with a morning omelet.

IMG_9032.jpg

Some egg beaters, fat free cheese, and some turkey lunch meat, topped with some low carb ketchup. It was cooked perfectly by a master chef in our lovely hotel room’s full sized kitchen. I think this was the last healthy meal I ate this trip. :rotfl2:

Haha, on to the real stuff. :thumbsup2

We had originally planned to spend the day in the Magic Kingdom today, but my trusty iPhone touring plans app told me it was a park to avoid, so we switched things up a bit.

We generally aren’t the biggest fans of the Animal Kingdom (it’s usually a half day experience for us,) so we decided to see if this trip would be any different, and start the vacation off here. I had my sights set on a few different food items in this park, so let’s get started.

I made us a lunch reservation for the Yak & Yeti, but we were getting a little hungry an hour or so before our scheduled time, so we decided to have a pre lunch - lunch at...

Flame Tree BBQ

We ordered, and split, the Rib and Chicken Combo with fries.
IMG_9047.jpg

The side of fries was decently portioned, and hot and crispy, so no complaints there. The cole slaw was good, but nothing special, just your run of the mill slaw. The stand out side of this meal was the baked beans. Smothered in a sweet BBQ style sauce, and mixed with what I assume is pulled pork, we both very much enjoyed the beans. The ribs were next, and were quite tasty. They fell off the bone and were extremely tender. Not too saturated with sauce, the were smoky, and cooked just right. The chicken on the other hand, neither of us enjoyed. It was extremely greasy and just tasted off. I don’t think either of us ate more than a few bites.

We finished up, and were on our way. I rode Expedition Everest solo, as Christina isn’t the biggest fan of rides that jostle her too much.

Next up was a drink, an appetizer, and one of the best desserts ever, at The Yak & Yeti.

We made our way over to the Yak & Yeti, and checked in a tad early. We had no problem waiting at the bar. They didn’t give us a chance though, because as soon as we sat down to order a drink, our buzzer went off and we were led to our seat. Our server was great, and after the initial congratulations (you’ll notice the celebration theme stays pretty constant throughout this trip..) he took our order.

Immediately the sparking sake caught Christina’s eye. It came highly recommended by our waiter, and we decided to start the meal off with a drink.

IMG_9052.jpg

Christina really enjoyed this. I didn’t dislike it, but it wasn’t really anything special in my opinion. I’m not a big fan of champagne either though, so I may not be the best judge of this kind of drink. Needless to say, we drank up and made quick work of it.

We decided earlier that we just wanted appetizers and a drink here, so we made the choice to order the Dim Sum Basket for Two - Pork pot stickers, shrimp siu mai, cha su bao, and pork sie mai steamed on a banana leaf, soy lime dipping sauce.

IMG_9055.jpg

We both really, really enjoyed this. The pot stickers were cooked just right, the pork and shrimp siu mai (small dumplings) we delightful little bites of flavor, but the real stand out of this dish was the cha su bao (chinese pork buns.) These things were very different than expected, but delicious. The dough they were wrapped in was soft and pliable, and the filling was flavorful. Everything tasted really fresh, and was just as tasty as any asian cuisine we’ve had. It was a good portion size and really hit the spot.

Lastly, we ordered dessert. To be honest, this is the only reason we came to the Yak & Yeti. I had heard tales of the awesomeness of this dish far too many times. Without further ado, we finished our meal with the Fried Wontons - Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzle

IMG_9058.jpg

Words. Fail. Me.

This dessert was everything I had hoped for and more. The pineapple was slightly grilled, and warm. The vanilla ice cream served with the dish was savory and delicious, and the wonton itself? Crispy, light and cooked perfectly, housing a ridiculously tasty cream cheese interior. The real kicker of this dish? That drizzle. Get out of town. I think I was spooning that vanilla drizzle directly into my mouth when we ran out of things to dip into it.

Do yourself a favor, don’t skip this next time you’re in the Animal Kingdom. It’s one of the best desserts of the trip, easily.

Not too long after we left lunch, we took in the bird show (which was spectacular!) and Christina couldn’t fight the urge for one of her favorite Disney snacks. We made our was to the nearest little outputs, and Christina got herself a Jalapeno cream cheese stuffed pretzel.

IMG_9082.jpg

I don’t know what it is about these pretzels that my wife loves so much, but this isn’t the last one she’ll be enjoying this trip, that’s for sure.

To me, they’re just OK, and no different than any other pretzel snack you can get at the local WaWa. They’re tasty, just not seek out in Disney tasty. However, the girl gets what she wants, and she was happy to enjoy it.

We finished up our half day in the Animal Kingdom, and made our way over to the Kingdom of the more Magical variety.

Next up..

Gaston’s Tavern.

Love your TR so far and your wedding pic.:thumbsup2. I can't wait to try the dessert at Yak & Yeti also. I had heard so many great things and we will be trying it on our trip this time. I will have to fight the urge to lick my plate.:rotfl:

Flame Tree BBQ is one of my favorites. I love their spice rub!

I'm hearing good things about Yak and Yeti recently. I may have to look at it a little more closely for our next trip. :D

Congratulations! Your reviews are really good so far. I'm enjoying the great pictures and really nice descriptions of the food.

We arrived at the Magic Kingdom, and I just couldn’t wait any longer to see what all the commotion was about over at the new Fantasyland expansion.

We made our way over to the newest area of the park, got a quick peek at the outside of Be Our Guest (stay tuned for THAT review later,) and were lucky enough to catch a glimpse of Gaston himself signing autographs on the bridge in Fantasyland.

IMG_9132.jpg

The first thing Christina and I commented on, is that this guy has the best job ever. Stand around and act like a jerk all day? Haha, he plays his part perfectly, playfully bantering with the children and acting just like the Gaston we all remember from the movie. We lingered around and enjoyed his goofball antics for a few minutes, and then headed over to our destination, Gaston’s Tavern.

IMG_9133.jpg

The decor here is spectacular. I spent a good amount of time taking pictures and enjoying how faithful the building is to the feel of the movie and the area around it.

IMG_9126.jpg

IMG_9118.jpg

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

I finally felt satisfied with my picture taking and took a gander at the menu:

IMG_9114.jpg

Knowing that we had a buffet style dinner in just a few hours, I found the ability to cvontrol my urges to order a pork shank, and settled for just a souvenir mug filled with LeFou’s Brew.

IMG_9120.jpg

IMG_9125.jpg

This came off as an apple juice in slushy form, with a “passion fruit mango foam” on top. The foam was, to me, forgettable. It wasn’t really anything special, and didn’t really taste all that great. The drink itself was tasty, but overly sweet, and I don’t think I could drink an entire cup of it. We didn’t even finish it between the two of us. Maybe on a hot summer day it would be more refreshing, but neither of us was really thrilled with it. Looking back on it, we both agreed that it seemed to be an attempt to replicate the success of another park’s specialty drink (which won’t be named...YET,) which unfortunately, fell short.

We took another walk around Fantasyland, took in a few more sights in the Magic Kingdom, and prepared ourselves for dinner. One of our favorite meals every year... We knew the pain that would be coming later, because next up was..

‘Ohana.

FOUND YOU!

Congratulations to the both of you. The reviews are great and I love the pics. Especially the wedding pic. How did you convince her to let you wear Chucks with your tux?

How was the pork shank? I was sooooooooo tempted to try 1.

Sorry, we never got together for that drink. We kept missing each other by a day. But BDLsgal and myself are already tinkering with the idea of a return visit. How's about you and the newly Mrs. DestructSean?

Congratualtions again. And Merry 1st Christmas together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter