How to eat yourself sick in Disney, a step by step guide (UPDATE: 1/21 RAGLAN ROAD!)

Completely agree with your review.:goodvibes

We actually do the same thing and request to be served only medium rare steak (although we are gluttons and have never asked for a slower pace:laughing:) and have never been anything less than satisfied.

We've never had a problem receiving our meat the way we want it- we just politely ask for it!

I LOVE Ohana (especially those noodles!) and it is on our list for our August 2013 for arrival night. It'll be hard to top!

:thumbsup2 I could have written this myself! We love, love this place ::yes::

I really get tired of people complaining about the things that can be fixed so easily. We have *never* not received things just the way we wanted - you guessed it - just by *asking*!! I, too, totally love the noodles, have to watch that I don't eat too much of that and the bread, to save room for the most important thing - the dessert, yummy!

Earl of Sandwich

I’m going to preface this with a little back story, yet again.

I’ve stalked the HELL out of these forums before this trip.

I’ve seen people complain about things non stop, debate the quality of meals, heap praise upon items, and everything in between.

One thing that seems to be universally loved, is the food from The Earl of Sandwich. You, disboards, have built up my expectations of this place from day one. I’ve read countless tellings of how amazing these sandwiches are (specifically the Holiday Sandwich..) and I don’t like being let down.

That being said, the first thing that hit me about this place was the insanely long line. With a line like this, it’s gotta be good, right? Honestly, I almost left. I debated it. After observing it for a few minutes however, I didn’t. The line was ridiculously long, but moved rather quickly.

We ordered, got our buzzer, and waited (not too long.)

Christina ordered the Caprese sandwich.

IMG_9191.jpg

Also, she got the Broccoli and Cheddar soup.

IMG_9192.jpg

I have notes from Christina as to how she felt about the food, but I feel like a picture in this case really is worth a thousand words..

IMG_2878.jpg

Again, that’s my girl. :thumbsup2

She described the sandwich as “delicious, fresh, with a perfect combination of tastes. The mozzarella was sliced thick and tasted perfect. Cheddar Broccoli soup was also really, really good.

Ok. We got that part out of the way. It’s my turn. This is the big moment. This Earl of Sandwich didn’t let me down. Right there on the sign in front of me, just screaming my name was the Holiday Sandwich. There’s NO WAY I wasn’t ordering this.

IMG_9186.jpg

I got the tomato soup to accompany mine.

IMG_9189.jpg

Now, if there was a picture of me eating this sandwich, I can promise you that my smile would make Christina’s look like a frown, because I was in food heaven. This thing was perfect. I’ve had similar sandwiches before (I’m looking at you, wawa’s “gobbler.”) Honestly, it doesn’t even compare to this. This sandwich is just perfection from start to finish.

The bread is amazing, warm, toasty, and fresh. The contrast of the sweet cranberry sauce with the stuffing and turkey is just mind blowing. I’m drooling right now just thinking about it. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a sandwich so quickly.

Oh, and the tomato soup? It was delectable. Warm and creamy, it was the very definition of soul satisfying. The croutons was just the right balance to the soup with a little bite added to the texture.

Bliss. Absolute bliss.

You didn’t let me down Disboards. And I thank you.

We finished up and decided to walk around for a bit. My sweet tooth kicked in at this point, and we went to check out..

Goofy’s Candy Company.

That’s it. We’re full on indulgence mode now.

I didn’t make it two feet past Goofy’s Candy Company, when I realized I wanted a sweet snack. So follow me, if you will, while Christina and I assemble a ridiculously indulgent treat for ourselves.

Firstly, we have some obligatory shots of the ridiculous amounts of candy and snacks Goofy’s CC offers:

IMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9195.jpg

IMG_9202.jpg

IMG_9198.jpg

We made our way up to the counter after covering the display cases with a healthy coating of drool, and noticed the instructions (how have we never done this before?!)

IMG_9193.jpg

We received our form, and honestly, I think we were just filling in random toppings/combinations at this point.

IMG_9201.jpg

We ended up with this: A gingerbread Mickey cookie, covered lovingly in white chocolate, topped all over with crushed Oreo cookie crumbles, and, as if that wasn’t enough, drizzled with dark chocolate. This thing was a diabetic coma waiting to happen.

IMG_9206.jpg

No matter, we know what needed to be done. This poor little guy didn’t last more than a minute or two, as Christina and I devoured him bite by bite (each bit being separated by both of us commenting how ridiculous, yet amazing this was.)

All that remained...

IMG_9208.jpg

It was a massacre!

This little guy was delicious. Those gingerbread cookies are pretty tasty on their own, but covered in everything we ordered? It just worked.

Feeling delightfully fat and satisfied, we continued our trek around Downtown Disney.

We noticed the carts that I had read about here on the Dis, offering remnants from the Food And Wine festival. I snapped a few shots of the various offerings:

IMG_9209.jpg

Trio of Artisan Cheeses

IMG_9210.jpg

Dessert Trio

Rather than getting either of those, Christina decided that she wanted to try the “Cheese Fondue with Sourdough Bread.”

IMG_9211.jpg

We agreed that this was a good choice. A soft warm breadstick, with cheese that was more funky than standard dipping cheese, it really tasted awesome. However, there was not a great bread to cheese ratio, and we had to buy a Wetzel's Pretzel with jalapenos to dip in (we had to! we were forced! more food!)

IMG_9212.jpg

This pretzel tasted like it had been sitting a while. It was later in the evening, so that wouldn’t surprise me. Still, it was pretty tasty, and went well with the cheese sauce.

That’s it! I’m putting my foot down and declaring that we won’t eat any more food this night!

Back to the hotel for us, in preparation for a day at the Magic Kingdom tomorrow, with more snacks, a delicious quick service lunch, and dinner at our favorite place to dine in Disney, the California Grill.

Great review of Ohana. That's one of the places we're looking forward to trying for the 1st time next month. Glad to see we are able to request well done meat. (We're a family of no pink meat eaters)

Quick question on the timing of service. It looks like they bring what I would call side dishes (noodles & broccoli) out first and then later bring out the meats. Do you think they could bring those out together or is the timing between the two courses enough not to be a problem. Seems odd to me to finish your side dish and then start on the meat instead of eating them together. Also if you're not a shrimp eater will they bring you more of the other meats?

Thanks.

Great review of Ohana. That's one of the places we're looking forward to trying for the 1st time next month. Glad to see we are able to request well done meat. (We're a family of no pink meat eaters)

Quick question on the timing of service. It looks like they bring what I would call side dishes (noodles & broccoli) out first and then later bring out the meats. Do you think they could bring those out together or is the timing between the two courses enough not to be a problem. Seems odd to me to finish your side dish and then start on the meat instead of eating them together. Also if you're not a shrimp eater will they bring you more of the other meats?

Thanks.

They generally bring things out pretty quickly, so you generally still have the "sides" around when the meat comes. I'm sure if you asked your server, you could have things more at the same time. Honestly though, it becomes more of an issue of space on the table. The salad, pot stickers, wings, veggies, noodles, they all take up a lot of space!

Also, if you don't like shrimp, they'll bring you as much of the other three meats as you can possibly eat, trust me.

Thanks.

im the dad that gets it crispy order it the way you want and it willbe served that way and by the way please enjoy:cool1:

12/05

Christina (bless her heart,) was on t he ball this morning. She woke up on time, and was ready early for our day in the Magic Kingdom. I almost feel bad waking her up with an alarm clock on our honeymoon. Almost. :love:

I didn’t eat breakfast in the hotel this morning. I knew what I wanted, and I was on a mission. It was around 10am when we strolled up to Sleepy Hollow Refreshments. I took one look at the menu (although I didn’t have any reason to..)

IMG_9232.jpg

I walked up to the window, and with all the enthusiasm of a five year old on Christmas morning, I ordered the Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich. The lovely woman working the counter gave me an empathetic frown and informed me that I couldn’t get that until 11am. Perhaps I did need to take a closer look at the menu after all. I responded the same way any rational person would..I told the woman I’d be back at 11, I’m going to get a cinnamon roll!

We hiked over to the Main Street Bakery, and stood in the ridiculous, rather slow line.

Getting up to the counter, Christina had the audacity to order something other than the Cinnamon Roll. She got an Apple Pastry.

IMG_9238.jpg

I’m glad she did! This thing was delicious. Crispy and sweet on the outside (with some crystallized sugar added for a fun look,) with an apple pie like filling, it was a pretty tasty little snack. Highly recommended.

I wasn’t fooling around. I ordered the Cinnamon Roll, and I asked if it was possible to have mine with extra icing. Of course it was! This woman wasn’t playing any games..

IMG_9239.jpg

This bad boy was an ooey, gooey masterpiece. Well worth the wait. It was piping hot, soft and gooey, and just COVERED in icing. I don’t think anything will ever taste as sweet again. This was one of those “I can’t believe I’m eating this, but I don’t care it’s outrageously awesome” dishes.

Highly recommended.

We finished at the Bakery, and the first words out of my mouth were “I want that waffle sandwich.” So, back to Sleepy Hollow we went!

You sir, are a man with incredible taste! Everything you've eaten so far would be exactly what I would order (except I'd go for the caprese at EoS). I went on a sisters trip and we went to 'Ohana and it was quite possibly one of my favorite meals of all time. I loved everything and I'm also not picky about the timing of items - they could bring everything out at once or one at a time and I wouldn't give a shiz because I'll get to it all! My DD likes her steak well done, I'm a medium person but I just went with the well done and guess what? It was still amazing! And that bread pudding? Ermahgerd!!! It's a gift from the gods.

I really wanted to go to Sleepy Hollow on our last trip but it wasn't in the cards for me. Perhaps on my next trip?:scratchin I think that if I had to wait on the chicken waffle I would have to get the Nutella waffle to hold myself over. ;)

Totally loving your reviews and can't wait to read more!!

You sir, are a man with incredible taste! Everything you've eaten so far would be exactly what I would order (except I'd go for the caprese at EoS). I went on a sisters trip and we went to 'Ohana and it was quite possibly one of my favorite meals of all time. I loved everything and I'm also not picky about the timing of items - they could bring everything out at once or one at a time and I wouldn't give a shiz because I'll get to it all! My DD likes her steak well done, I'm a medium person but I just went with the well done and guess what? It was still amazing! And that bread pudding? Ermahgerd!!! It's a gift from the gods.

I really wanted to go to Sleepy Hollow on our last trip but it wasn't in the cards for me. Perhaps on my next trip?:scratchin I think that if I had to wait on the chicken waffle I would have to get the Nutella waffle to hold myself over. ;)

Totally loving your reviews and can't wait to read more!!

Hahahaha, well thank you.

(Bonus points for the ermahgerd.:thumbsup2)

Upon arriving back to the window at Sleepy Hollow, the woman smiled and asked how our Cinnamon Roll was. I laughed and informed her of how delicious it was. I ordered the Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich (finally!) However, I had a little request. I put on my best puppy dog eyes and shined up my “Just Married” button, and asked if there was any way that I could get a side of nutella with my sandwich (don’t judge me! I love the combination of sweets with traditionally savory foods.)

She went to the back and came back with a small cup filled with the lovely hazelnut spread. “I’m not supposed to do this!” she said, but she made my day and went the extra mile for me.

IMG_9243.jpg

We waited a minute and our sandwich came out, hot and fresh.

IMG_9242.jpg

Christina wasn’t too enthusiastic with this one, but I on the other hand really enjoyed it. She loves the spicy side of things, and went off on an unsuccessful search for hot sauce.

The chicken was fresh, right out of the frier, and the sauce that coated it was really, really good. A little sweet, a little spicy, just as advertized. The cole slaw was tasty, and added a nice bit of depth to the sandwich. The waffle was light and fluffy, but didn’t really have much in the way of it’s own taste. The kicker here was dipping this into the nutella. Good lord that pushed it over the edge for me. The sweetness of the nutella on the pillowy waffle, mixed with the spiciness of the chicken..I was satisfied. For now.

We spent some more time enjoying our day until lunch time.

Up next, the incredible condiment bar at:

Pecos Bill’s.

Hahaha! I guess I spoke too soon about getting the Nutella waffle...you had both at the same time! I'm not sure sure that I would try them together but that's pretty creative. :thumbsup2

Hahaha! I guess I spoke too soon about getting the Nutella waffle...you had both at the same time! I'm not sure sure that I would try them together but that's pretty creative. :thumbsup2

Haha, yeah, I'm all about trying crazy things. It's vacation, after all! :thumbsup2

I've been stalking and enjoying your report, and I must have more details about this waffle thing! The combo of spicy and sweet has piqued my interest, but I was wondering-does the salad have any type of dressing or sauce on it? Is there any other sauce on the thing at all, other than on the chicken?

No judgement here! I love weird combos like that! I think I might have to try the Ham, Prosciutto, and Swiss Waffle Sandwich with some nutella next time. :goodvibes

Love the reviews!! We are from Philly too!! DH is a Philly firefighter. We are going in 2 weeks for our 3rd family trip, staying at Art of Animation. I got my DH hooked too on our first trip in 2003. We got engaged on that trip! Love the reviews. O'Hana is my all time FAV as well. I have an ADR there for this trip and can't wait!

No judgement here! I love weird combos like that! I think I might have to try the Ham, Prosciutto, and Swiss Waffle Sandwich with some nutella next time. :goodvibes

Now that's using your head. :thumbsup2

Love the reviews!! We are from Philly too!! DH is a Philly firefighter. We are going in 2 weeks for our 3rd family trip, staying at Art of Animation. I got my DH hooked too on our first trip in 2003. We got engaged on that trip! Love the reviews. O'Hana is my all time FAV as well. I have an ADR there for this trip and can't wait!

Awesome! Welcome local friend. enjoy your trip!!

We decided on Pecos Bill’s for lunch, mostly due to the ridiculous topping/condiment bar that we all know and love.

Not much variety here folks, we both ordered cheeseburgers with fries. However, we both LOADED up our trays with condiments, making these the messiest burgers I think I’ve ever seen.

IMG_2921.jpg

Trust me, the condiment you see on the tray are only half of those used. Multiple trips were made, haha.

Fries were dipped in cheese, in mayonnaise, in ketchup. Burgers were slathered in anything we could get our hands on that we could spread onto a bun. It was a glorious, disgusting mess. I won’t sit here and pretend it’s gourmet, but the burgers are your standard fast food fare, and with all the fun fixin’s, it’s become a tradition to come to Pecos Bill’s and have some fun.

Afterwards, we made it our mission to get one of the snacks on my “never had” list; the Dole Whip. We opted for the Pineapple-Vanilla Swirl:

IMG_9250.jpg

And we enjoyed it.

IMG_2924.jpg

Man, this stuff is GOOD. I just assumed this was one of those “people are really in love with it, but it’s probably more about the fact that they’re eating it in Disney, as opposed to the actual taste” snacks.

I was wrong! It’s an extremely refreshing snack, and I can imagine enjoying one on a hot summer day. It’s a great taste variety with the swirl, and the pineapple is really crisp and tasty, contrasting with the smoothness of the vanilla. We never did get to try the float, but Iw as really happy I was able to check this off my list.

We finished up our day in the park, and went home to shower/get fancy.

It was getting close to dinner. Our favorite restaurant. Our yearly date.

California Grill.

I'm subscribing...love your writing style, and anyone who can get themselves extra Nutella is a-ok in my book!

Can't wait to see you two 'get fancy' at California Grill. You both are adorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!