How to eat yourself sick in Disney, a step by step guide (UPDATE: 1/21 RAGLAN ROAD!)

FOUND YOU!

Congratulations to the both of you. The reviews are great and I love the pics. Especially the wedding pic. How did you convince her to let you wear Chucks with your tux?

How was the pork shank? I was sooooooooo tempted to try 1.

Sorry, we never got together for that drink. We kept missing each other by a day. But BDLsgal and myself are already tinkering with the idea of a return visit. How's about you and the newly Mrs. DestructSean?

Congratualtions again. And Merry 1st Christmas together.

Welcome!!

Thanks bud. As for the Chucks, she was totally on board. I snagged myself a good one (don't ask me how..) :thumbsup2

Honestly, I never got around to tasting the pork shank. It's one of the regrets of the trip. Every time I was there, I was either too ridiculously stuffed from my last meal, or about to be partaking in an anticipated one.

My parents are DVC members, so we usually go every year. This coming year may be a skipped one however. I'm always trying to find a way to get down there though, so I won't rule anything out. :cool1:

I've got about 200 more pictures and 10 more days worth of eating to talk about, so stick around!

You should be writing up one of these yourself, no?

I'm in! DH and I had our honeymoon at WDW too. Can't wait to see how y'all's went : )

Welcome!

That's awesome, it's the perfect place to celebrate.

We were congratulated well over 100 times. We tried to count, but it became too daunting. :thumbsup2

so thinking about coming? how the hell are you going to swing this???? yes i am the dvc parent...

mjem216 said:
so thinking about coming? how the hell are you going to swing this???? yes i am the dvc parent...

Not next month.. Sometime within a year would be nice though.

Ohana, Part 1. (and a mini rant or two..)

Im going to preface this next review with a little back story.

This might be one of the most anticipated meals of the year for us. Ive eaten myself SICK here before.

This will have been my fourth time dining at Ohana, and each time, Im simply blown away.

I dont quite understand the negative reviews for this place. Or rather, I understand some of the complaints, but I find that most are easily rectified, simply by stating your preference to the waiter/waitress (more on this as we get deeper into the review.)

We made our way over to the beautiful Polynesian Resort, and checked in at the podium. After an enthusiastic congratulations (with some playful banter) we were given our buzzer, and made our way over to the bar.

We each ordered a drink here. I got the Lapu Lapu

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

How can you NOT love this drink? Its served in a frickin pineapple! this delicious mix of Myers rum and tropical juices served in a pineapple and topped with Bacardi 151 hit the spot like you wouldnt believe. Id been eyeing up this bad boy for some time, and it was just what I needed to really make me feel like I was on vacation.

After I was sufficiently whisked away to a tropical paradise (in my mind at least..) I let Christina try. She wasnt sold. No bother, she ordered a drink of her own.

She got what I THINK was the Island Sunset. Spiced rum, Malibu, melon liqueur and peach schnapps combined with guava passion fruit juice

EDIT: I lied. She ordered the Tropical Macaw.

IMG_9160.jpg

I didn't much care for this drink, and she cant really remember it anyway, so it wasnt worth discussing, apparently.

No sooner than we had received our drinks, our buzzer went off, and away we went!

We were greeted by a very friendly man at the front of the restaurant who congratulated us on our wedding, and led us to what he deemed was the best table in the house.

I cant argue with him for one second. The table was right up against the window, and gave us an amazing view of the castle. We were gawking out the window for most of the meal.

Our waitress came out promptly, and brought us some waters, and more congratulations. After informing her that weve been to Ohana many times, she promptly brought us some warm, tasty bread.

IMG_2830.jpg

Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I always find it hard to resist this stuff. I know whats coming, but I just cant keep my hands off of the bread here for some reason. It was fresh, warm, and delicious, as usual.

Right after the bread came the Mixed Greens with Honey-Lime dressing.

IMG_9158.jpg

I love the dressing they use here. The salad was crisp, the dressing was delicious, and it was a great way to get us warmed up for the main event.

It was at this time they brought out the sauces.

IMG_9159.jpg

Peanut, chimichurri and sweet-and-sour, these three sauces end up slathered all over EVERYTHING I eat here. Luckily, Christina doesnt care for the peanut sauce, so I tend to compensate by basically drinking the stuff out of the ramekin it comes in.

Next they brought us the broccoli and green peas and pad Thai noodles.

IMG_9168.jpg

Christina goes NUTS for these noodles. Not sure what it is, but something about them is just perfect. Add a little of the sweet and sour sauce, and Im in heaven. The broccoli was fresh and seasoned with some sauce too, and also delightful.

Heres where I find that a lot of people come up with their first complaint about Ohana. It all comes out way too fast, is something I hear all the time. Well, luckily, I have the perfect solution to this problem. SPEAK UP. I simply turned to our waitress and asked can we have things brought out a little slower, we want to enjoy each dish and not rush. Guess what she did in response? SLOWED DOWN!

I know I sound condescending, but seriously, if you have an issue, speak up, and more than likely, the cousins here will be glad to accommodate.

After we enjoyed this dish, they brought out round two, another two things that I cant help devouring at a rapid pace.. Pork fried dumplings and Coriander chicken wings.

IMG_9164.jpg

Yum. Just yum. The dumplings were cooked perfectly, and when dipped in the various sauces, were just over the top tasty.

The wings were sweet and fresh. Christina isnt a huge fan of sweet dinner food, so she didnt have as many of the wings as I did. I housed perhaps one too many, and shoveled dumpling after dumpling into my mouth.

Have to be careful here..dont want to spoil the RIDICULOUS amount of food to come.

Problem number two I always hear about Ohana? The steak isnt cooked properly. Well, heres my solution to that issue. SPEAK UP. Before they started bringing the meats out, I asked our waitress if the steak we received could all be cooked medium rare. Guess how it was cooked? Medium rare. Ive dined here with my father who wants his steak burnt to a crisp, and weve both walked away happy with out perfectly cooked steaks, every. single. time. All because we asked.

Rant over.

Next came the plethora of meats. Ill sum it up here first. Each was hot and fresh off the grill, seasoned perfectly, and cooked just like we wanted. The shrimp was delicious, (although it is a tad of a pain to peel.) Christina loves her shrimp, and ate WAY more of this than I did. :rotfl2:

IMG_9171.jpg

The chicken was juicy and flavorful.

IMG_9175.jpg

Unfortunately I dont think I took a picture of the pork, but that doesnt mean I didnt eat any of it. It was hot, juicy, and cooked just right.

Our medium rare steak was next, and was superb.

IMG_9170.jpg

Dont let the outside appearance fool you, it was tender and bloody on the inside..just as we like it. :thumbsup2

I packed away FAR too much food for one person, and we informed our waitress that wed need a few minutes before we were ready for dessert. This wasnt an issue, and the timing of it all worked out perfectly, because just as we were unwinding from our glorious meal, Wishes began.

I cant describe how perfect this was. Our view of the Castle was unbeatable, the music piped into the restaurant coupled with the dimmed lights made for a truly magical experience.

After we enjoyed the show and relaxed for a bit more, we indicated that we were ready for dessert.

Prepare yourselves. Its coming. Banana Bread Pudding.

'Ohana, part 2. Coming up.

This just in..

Thanks to some research done by my fabulous wife, she informs me that the drink she had was in fact the "tropical macaw."

No news on her opinion of the drink though, as (and I quote) "I think it was pretty good, I really don't remember. All the food from Ohana caused a food coma."

That's my girl. :flower3:

'Ohana, part duex.

Here’s the thing.

I look forward to this all year. This dessert, it consumes me. It knows my weakness and it takes full advantage.

I was stuffed from dinner, but there was NO way I was passing up the opportunity to indulge in what in my mind, up to this point, was the best dessert I’ve ever tasted.

It got to our table, just beckoning to me, almost mocking.

IMG_9181.jpg

I took my first course of action and poured piping hot caramel all over it. That’ll show it.

IMG_9183.jpg

Christina gets excited for it too. :D

IMG_2838.jpg

It was just as I remembered it. The combination of the ice cream melting all over the warm, gooey bread is just too much for words. The flavors are so intense, the texture is so perfect, it’s just outrageous. We finished the dish in record time and asked for another.

No time for pictures of the second, just this, the mark of victory:

IMG_9184.jpg

Afterwards, we were bloated. We were stuffed. We were happy.

Our amazing waitress brought us out a celebratory surprise (which wouldn’t be the last time we were touched by the kindness of our Disney servers.)

IMG_9179.jpg

We had to ask for these to go, and they gladly packaged them up for us.

We couldn’t eat them, I felt like this:

IMG_2839.jpg

‘Ohana had claimed me for it’s victim again, but as usual, I went willingly.

All kidding aside, this was one of the best meals of the trip. The service was outstanding, the seat and ambiance were terrific, and the food was delicious. They really went above and beyond standard service and truly made us feel like family. I’ll never NOT recommend this restaurant to anyone. This meal only cemented ‘Ohana as one of our favorite restaurants in Disney World.

Next up, poolside fun and some Downtown Disney treats.

Completely agree with your review.:goodvibes

We actually do the same thing and request to be served only medium rare steak (although we are gluttons and have never asked for a slower pace:laughing:) and have never been anything less than satisfied.

We've never had a problem receiving our meat the way we want it- we just politely ask for it!

I LOVE Ohana (especially those noodles!) and it is on our list for our August 2013 for arrival night. It'll be hard to top!

Thank You for your Ohana review! I loved it! I am also very hungry right now and I can't wait until we get to eat there again in June 2013, which is so far away!

Ohana is also a tradition for us. We love it and have never had a bad meal here. It is a favorite for sure, thank you for sticking up for Ohana!

:thumbsup2

I think I'm going to have to try Ohana. Everyone's reviews look amazing.

Medium rare steak is the way to go! :thumbsup2

Excuse me as I wipe the drool from my chin and my keyboard....

You're excused. :rotfl2:

After reading/viewing this thread Ohana's on April 12th, 2013 seems soooo far away :hourglass

Dinner there could be tomorrow and it would still feel far away.

Completely agree with your review.:goodvibes

We actually do the same thing and request to be served only medium rare steak (although we are gluttons and have never asked for a slower pace:laughing:) and have never been anything less than satisfied.

We've never had a problem receiving our meat the way we want it- we just politely ask for it!

I LOVE Ohana (especially those noodles!) and it is on our list for our August 2013 for arrival night. It'll be hard to top!

Enjoy! It's hard NOT to be a glutton there. Trust me, I've overdone it at 'Ohana more than once..

Thank You for your Ohana review! I loved it! I am also very hungry right now and I can't wait until we get to eat there again in June 2013, which is so far away!

Ohana is also a tradition for us. We love it and have never had a bad meal here. It is a favorite for sure, thank you for sticking up for Ohana!

:thumbsup2

Anytime. :thumbsup2

I think I'm going to have to try Ohana. Everyone's reviews look amazing.

Medium rare steak is the way to go! :thumbsup2

Yes and YES.

hey , that was an amazing report and your absolutely right, a Disney trip with out Ohanas is depressing and i dont really like it burnt just really well done...:wave2:

Anything more than medium is rubber to me. I'll get you cultured one day, dad. Gotta branch out! Although I am proud of you for trying Tusker House. I can't wait to see what you eat there.

12/04

I made a promise to Christina that would trip would have some days of pure relaxation mixed into the mad dash that is our usual Disney vacation.

This was one of those days.

Christina and I tend to be polar opposites when it comes to a few things. For instance, I’m the one writing this report, and she has anything but Disney on her mind. I woke up and made our ADRs. I am the commando of the trip, and she just wants to relax.

So, to my dismay, today was a day to relax around the pool and get a tad inebriated. How terrible, right? :rotfl2:

We ordered ourselves a few drinks (on top of the ones that we may have smuggled into the pool area..shhh..:thumbsup2)

IMG_2857.jpg

This was the first of many margaritas enjoyed by me on this trip, and enjoy it I did. It was perfect for a warm, sunny day. In what seems to be a continuing trend, we aren't quite sure what drink Christina ordered (although she recalls it was some sort of tea with grey goose l'orange as one of the ingredients..)

However, it was promptly consumed..

IMG_2868.jpg

We ordered some french fries from the pool bar/restaurant, although for some reason we forgot to photograph them. (I said take pictures of EVERYTHING!)

It actually turned out to be a lovely day, and one of my favorites of the honeymoon. It’s felt like forever since the last time we both just had the chance to relax and enjoy..nothing.

We eventually packed up and started discussing dinner options.

It was at this time, I realized that I had the perfect idea. It had been a long time coming, and I couldn’t wait any longer.

I needed to try the Holiday Sandwich.

Off to Downtown Disney, and the Earl of Sandwich.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!