How to ask them to stop a ride ?

blessed2BaMama

Earning My Ears
This will be my first trip with my father (70) who is now more unstable when he walks due to neuropathy due to chemo. Is there an easy way way to let ride operators on moving carpet rides (Wedway or Buzz) know that we need them to stop the carpet so he can get in or out easily and safely without embarrassing him? I am so new to this I just need to learn any keywords or tips to make it easy. Thanks!!

They will not stop the people mover or peter pan but other than that you just ask the cm at the beginning of the line what to do. When you get to the front I also ask the person at the front of the line.

What about Haunted Mansion? Do they allow it to be stopped now? To be honest, I haven't ridden that in over 5 years, but it does load with a belt.

If you will need the moving walkway slowed or stopped, it is best to make that known to the first CM you seen as you enter the queue, as well as each subsequent CM you come upon, because you may need to be directed to a different loading area for that to happen. Sometimes the controls for the walkways are not in the same area as the standard loading zone.

As the poster above mentions, two rides in particular can NOT be slowed or stopped -- the Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Move and Peter Pan. Other rides *may* allow for the walkways to be slowed/stopped, but there have been reports of it not allowed especially at very busy park times.

Enjoy your vacation!

We have never had any trouble getting them to slow or stop at the loading area.

Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth are the two I can think of that we had to go to an alternate loading area. Be aware they have not always been pleasant about us needing to use that loading area at Haunted Mansion. They have accused my mother of being capable of walking and loading in the regular area more than once. They told her there was hardly any line, Which was totally beside the point. She can't walk ore than a couple feet.

The Peoplemover goes pretty slow in the loading area, so even though it cannot be slowed, it is pretty easy to get in and out in the time you are given. Peter Pan can be an issue. It goes pretty fast, but everything else is good.

So glad you asked that! After a particularly painful experience (make that two of them) in Universal, it was something I was very worried about for my forthcoming trip ... I told a cast member when I got back to Disney what had happened and they said they would always be able to help, be that assisting me off the ride, slowing/stopping the moving pathway thing or even loading/unloading at a different place. The only problem I have had with the people mover was that my balance was super bad when my friend and I went over 8 years ago and I had to go around twice because I couldn't get off and they couldn't/wouldn't/didn't help! I can see the funny side now but it wasn't fun at the time! A cast member helped me get off after the second time round, with the help of my friend! I was so embarrassed but the CM was lovely! At Universal, last time I went (4 years ago) it was different. I went on a ride - Harry Potter - several times ... actually, I may as well admit it - 10! Although I ALMOST fell a couple of times, I kept my feet until the tenth time when disaster struck. I have a permanently broken hip (long story) and we now know, a condition called dystonia which makes walking difficult (it's got MUCH worse in the last 2 years) and to my horror my foot left the walkway and I landed on my problematic left hip ... bad enough ... WORSE was that they said it was up to my friend (who has major problems with her back) to get me up ... I managed to get myself up but not without crawling under people's legs. It was horrendous and they just told me I should hurry to leave the area. I went on it again so that wasn't my last memory (and put in a complaint about the way I'd been treated!) After that I went to the Hippogriff? The 'tame' roller coaster ... I couldn't tell you if it was tame or not - the seatbelt/restraint failed and I spent my time sliding from one side of the seat to the other, screaming and trying to alert them to the problem! I got off and, because I was shaken up, my legs were like jelly. I put my hand out to hold a gate to steady myself ... imagine my horror when I fell down a slope! Even more horrific was that they refused to help me up saying they may hurt their backs! I've since received an apology from Universal who have told me there is now an alternative entrance ... thank God! I couldn't believe the difference in the way Disney handled it to the way Universal did! I fell on 3 rides at Disney (Embarrassingly Haunted Mansion) and the CMs were wonderful!

Just so you are aware... Disney does have policy that CM's are not allowed to physically assist a guest. I believe CMs can lose their jobs for being "helpful" in that manner. Hands-on physical assistance is much different than steadying a ride vehicle, holding a door, slowing a walkway, allowing load/unload at a pull-off when available, etc. If you anticipate needing physical assistance you should have a member of your party able to help. If you fall and need assistance getting up, CMs are supposed to call for security who may call for EMTs. It is a liability issue. I believe Universal has a similar policy.

Enjoy your vacation!

another thing that might be helpful.. after I ask the CM at the loading zone to slow down the ride, I don't always lead my husband to the car they indicate. it takes him too long to see, walk and balance to "scamper" over to the car that is going away. I choose one that is coming up so as to have more time.. I know, if it's crowded, that means a car goes by empty. sorry, but safety is more important.
it always depends on how much they slow the ride down. or they can stop it, that would be great. sometimes it's slow enough for him to get on with no problem; other times I choose the next car.
we don't go on peter pan anymore since he can't see anything in there anyway and chooses not to ride it. his choice.

Last edited:
Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth are the two I can think of that we had to go to an alternate loading area. Be aware they have not always been pleasant about us needing to use that loading area at Haunted Mansion.

Yeah, Haunted Mansion is the only place where they've been unpleasant about it. I find I have to go in there prepared to be friendly but firm, and then be pleasantly surprised if it goes without any resistance. I don't say this to be negative or scare anyone away; I just hate to have anyone be blindsided like I was the first couple of times I went in expecting the same kind of accommodation I experienced at other attractions.

ya know, we have all been talking abouthow bad the CMS at Haunted Mansion are with disabilites (and esp. with visual disabilites) for a few years now.

you would think by now the problem would be resolved? retraining?

This will be my first trip with my father (70) who is now more unstable when he walks due to neuropathy due to chemo. Is there an easy way way to let ride operators on moving carpet rides (Wedway or Buzz) know that we need them to stop the carpet so he can get in or out easily and safely without embarrassing him? I am so new to this I just need to learn any keywords or tips to make it easy. Thanks!!

They can slow the walkway down at Haunted Mansion. I have trouble with my balance sometimes due to my very bad back, and have asked the cast members at the moving walkway if they could please slow the ride down. Sometimes they ask me if I need to have the ride slowed down, and I say, "Yes." I use a wheelchair also, and have to enter at the exit if I remember. I'm amazed at some of the cast members who always have to walk on the moving walkway forwards as it's (the moving walkway) is going in the opposite direction.

1) Most rides can be slowed or stopped for handicap entry/exit.
2) However, as mentioned, Peter Pan and People Mover do not stop.
3) For the others, it is still up to the CM's whether to stop/slow or not.
4) During very busy periods, I have seen there they have refused to stop the ride. *

* I can remember Space Ship Earth stopping several times during one of our rides. It was pretty disturbing to be halted going downhill. However, in a subsequent ride, there was no interruption. When I asked, it was because they decided not to stop for load/unload that day. It really did make a difference.

ya know, we have all been talking abouthow bad the CMS at Haunted Mansion are with disabilites (and esp. with visual disabilites) for a few years now.

you would think by now the problem would be resolved? retraining?

HM and ToT have certain scripts to follow WRT to interaction between CM and guest. including 'attitude'

sometimes I can do the stretching room, and sometimes I can't.

I have NEVER been treated poorly at HM. in fact when I get to the area that is 'behind the scenes' they often drop the act altogether. it's been many years since I was able to handle ToT, but again, they stepped off script to ensure I got what I needed.

Mrsjvb, I am very happy that you got such good treatment! I am not, howefver, talking about the role or act. I mean just helping. there have been many reports of CMs not accomodating special needs at that ride. one example was a person with low vision. being sent down a hallway and told "go that way". she couldn'
t see where "that way" was in the dark.. she couldn't see a thing.. many other reports. it's a shame.

they are not allowed to leave their spot. if you have low vision, then bring a flashlight.

they are not allowed to leave their spot. if you have low vision, then bring a flashlight.

yes, because a flashlight will light up those dead spots on your retina if you have macular degeneration. anyway, it wasn't me or my husband, I go with him and lead him. it was someone else and she was alone. and it sucked for her.

and I have actually been yelled at (yes , they broke the "fourth wall" and came out of their character to yell at me) at the HM when I asked them to slow the ride down, and it still wasn't slow enough so I led my husband the the doom buggy coming up instead of the one she wanted us to go in. I knew he couldn't make it in time to that one and feel for it and manage to get in it, and it was just an accident waiting to happen.

. . . I asked them to slow the ride down, and it still wasn't slow enough . . .

As has been stated, sometimes, even if the ride is able to be slowed/stopped, the CM's might not comply due to crowd levels.

As has been stated, sometimes, even if the ride is able to be slowed/stopped, the CM's might not comply due to crowd levels.
we go at slow times. and the CM did NOT state they could not comply. you are WRONG.
and, as I stated, they told me they COULD slow it down. they COULD "comply" . and at the last minute, when I saw that my husband would not be able to SAFELY enter the doom buggy,. as it was too far ahead.. I chose the SAFER option.

Last edited:
and the apparently "tragic" result of my choosing the safest route for my husband was one doom buggy went unoccupied. (as opposed to one ambulance going unoccupied and the whole ride being shut down... possibly ok, probbly not, but do you wnat to tell a guy who can't see to .."QUICK!!! QUICK!!! the ride vehicle is getting away from us.. run 3 steps on the moving platform hopefully you can grab on to the bar and throw yourself IN the doom buggy!!!
YOU CAN DO IT HONEY! i HAVE FAITH IN YOU" lol

. . . we go at slow times. and the CM did NOT state they could not comply. you are WRONG . . .

1) They do not have to state whether they can or will comply, basically a judgment call by the CM.
2) They simply either slow/stop or don't.
3) In this manner, there are few angered guests and few arguments.
4) However, with Peter Pan, they will usually state they can't slow/stop it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter