how much personal info on door?

I totally see people's concerns about not putting info on their FE but on the other hand, just because I put my last name on my FE doesn't mean I am "letting my guard down" or "inviting trouble." People need to just do whatever they are comfortable with. I am perfectly comfortable letting strangers know my last name, I am aware of safety issues, I am well aware bad things can happen anywhere, and I am not concerned.

I am always amazed when delivering FE gifts at how much information people put on their doors.

- first names
- last names
- photos
- message boards with where they will be and when

It's like every single thing we all learned about staying safe is just abandoned. WHen I inquired about it here on DIS after my first cruise people replied with comments basically equating to, "We're on a Disney ship! What could possibly happen?!?!"

With room up and down hallways. With cabins everywhere that someone could be pulled into. With people that have access to you and your family 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but a LOT could happen. Don't let your smarts slip away just because you are on a cruise ship, and a Disney cruise ship at that. If you would not post it on the front door of your house, why would you post it on the front door of you home for a week?

Sounds like a perfect place to me, imho, doesn't it? Kids. Parents have their guard down. Access. Why let your guard down? Just my opinion....

- Dreams

It's not like I let my kids roam around and "trust" that nothing will happen. As I mentioned previously, they are always with us or in the club. I don't think I am letting my guard down by putting our names on a door if they are with us 24/7. Their first and last names have to be on everything at school, too. And also, our last name *is* on display in our front entry -- it is the only existing part of my grandparents' home that we kept and we like having it there to remember them (a little old beat up plaque). To me, FE and magnets aren't anything to worry about.

I totally see people's concerns about not putting info on their FE but on the other hand, just because I put my last name on my FE doesn't mean I am "letting my guard down" or "inviting trouble." People need to just do whatever they are comfortable with. I am perfectly comfortable letting strangers know my last name, I am aware of safety issues, I am well aware bad things can happen anywhere, and I am not concerned.

Exactly what I was trying to say! Thank you for explaining much better than I did haha.

I am in the minority here, I guess. Our last name is on our FE, and we all have our first names on our pockets. And each of us has our first name on a magnet. I understand the concern of others. I'm just not that worried about it. The boys are only with us or in the Lab. And those that will use the FE are all on a FB page with much more personal info on it. I know others can see the FE, but I don't think kidnappers/predators/weirdos make it a point to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to find victims. I

I totally agree (well, we don't do the FE thing, but we do lots of magnets with names!). Our kids are either in the clubs or with us. Period. They don't have self-check out privileges. We know people who let their young children take naps by themselves in their cabins. We don't -- I don't fully trust the crew, and I don't trust who might knock on the door and get let in by my all-too-trusting 7 year old.

And we have constant talks with our girls about the issue. You're right -- it's not "stranger danger" that's the biggest problem. We showed our kids a John Walsh produced video (can't remember the name!) that talks about "Safe Side Adults". These are the people that you tell your kids they can absolutely trust. If that person comes to pick them up, then they can absolutely without question go with them. We have three safe side adults. Everyone else, my kids can't go home with without prior approval (I think the video says there are "sorta knows" or "kinda knows" -- people who you *do* know but are not your "safe side adults". Then there are the "don't knows", the complete strangers).

None. No names, no fish extender. No magnets on the front of doors. Any magnets acquired (except the DVC one they pass out on the ship) go on the back of the door to prevent theft.

It's like a hotel room at sea, at a hotel on land I don't advertise who is in the room either.

We showed our kids a John Walsh produced video (can't remember the name!) that talks about "Safe Side Adults". These are the people that you tell your kids they can absolutely trust. If that person comes to pick them up, then they can absolutely without question go with them. We have three safe side adults. Everyone else, my kids can't go home with without prior approval (I think the video says there are "sorta knows" or "kinda knows" -- people who you *do* know but are not your "safe side adults". Then there are the "don't knows", the complete strangers).

It's called "The Safe Side: Stranger Safety"! I use it regularly in my practice. There is also one for internet safety. Awesome stuff!

None. No names, no fish extender. No magnets on the front of doors. Any magnets acquired (except the DVC one they pass out on the ship) go on the back of the door to prevent theft.

It's like a hotel room at sea, at a hotel on land I don't advertise who is in the room either.

The reason for the FE is to engage in a fun exchange with people you "meet" before the cruise. We don't expect people to give us gifts at a hotel, and that's why we don't advertise who is in the room. I'm also not going to be devastated if someone steals our magnets. I'd rather take the risk of them being snatched than ruin the fun of having them there. But that is just me. And they have never been stolen (except one time I could hear a very young child taking one and her parent gently redirecting her to put it back).

We have our last name on our FE, and I have magnets with our names on them. the kids like having their own FE pockets.

spend 5 minutes at the pool, you will be able to pick up on my childs name and just about every other child there from the parents calling them etc.

I know what a Fish Extender is, I choose not to do it. Too much stuff to bring there and bring home. If I had one, I would not put my name on it. I prefer that my name is not displayed on my door. It would only show that this stateroom has a woman by herself in it.

We used to do that in college dorms...now I'm not sure it's even a good idea to do it in college.

Ditto. I want nothing identifying our cabin except the number. We live in a small town, my boys tend to be naive and I don't want to regret this decision later.

Just a heads up for those that put their last names on their door. A number of times I got separated from my husband who had my beach bag while at the pool and such. And I was able to order drinks by just giving my room number. I told the first waiter that he was very trusting. But he said that he just checks to make sure the name matches up with the room number. I probably bought a half dozen drinks without my room key this past September. So if someone was very sneaky and learned that information from your door, they could really rack up a bar bill for someone.

If you're doing an FE exchange you are already giving your personal info to people you don't know. Your kids names, ages, favorite character, as well as the names of the parents and siblings. It doesn't do much good to not put your kids names on the fe if your giving them to the fe group. The fe group is a smaller population than the entire ship...but you don't know those people either.

This will be our first Disney cruise. We will have our first names on the fe and maybe on some magnets. I know so many people who have lived through horrible things. Between that and my daughter being 7, I don't plan on her ever being without one of us unless she's in the club, so I don't see it as a big deal if people know her name.

eva said:
Just a heads up for those that put their last names on their door. A number of times I got separated from my husband who had my beach bag while at the pool and such. And I was able to order drinks by just giving my room number. I told the first waiter that he was very trusting. But he said that he just checks to make sure the name matches up with the room number. I probably bought a half dozen drinks without my room key this past September. So if someone was very sneaky and learned that information from your door, they could really rack up a bar bill for someone.

Well, they do see your photo when they put in your room number, so it's probably unlikely that someone would get very far with just your room number and last name. At least in the bars where the cashier can easily see whether you match your photo. The pools might be a little easier, but I've never heard of this happening (doesn't mean it hasn't, though!)

If you're doing an FE exchange you are already giving your personal info to people you don't know. Your kids names, ages, favorite character, as well as the names of the parents and siblings. It doesn't do much good to not put your kids names on the fe if your giving them to the fe group. The fe group is a smaller population than the entire ship...but you don't know those people either.

Not necessarily. Who says those in the FE need to know who you really are, names wise? Ok, so you may get personalized items that are not in your name, but no biggie. Some more infamous people may go incognito until they are actually on board! ;)

You have a point though I would add that my family tends on the private side and we were able to participate in an FE exchange w/out giving out any personal info... each member of our family had a silly pseudonym and I provided my "alternate email" (doesn't use my real name) to the organizer who sent out the spreadsheet. I had just one person ask for my kids' first initials for a gift she was making, which I gave her. Our FE pockets had Disney characters on them w/ the same pseudonyms. We left no personally identifying info on anything that went on our door. I did go to our group's "meet and greet" and there, I gave my real (first) name to the people I met in person, which is the same as I would do whether or not I'd "met" them online here. Just wanted to throw it out there for folks like myself, who tend to me more cautious.

Well, they do see your photo when they put in your room number, so it's probably unlikely that someone would get very far with just your room number and last name. At least in the bars where the cashier can easily see whether you match your photo. The pools might be a little easier, but I've never heard of this happening (doesn't mean it hasn't, though!)

Well, I would say you are right. But I really don't think they pay that much attention. One of the servers transposed our stateroom number and never even noticed it. I was the one that realized they had the wrong name and stateroom number when I went to sign. So either the woman in that stateroom is my double, or they don't really pay much attention to those pictures.

I wonder if all staff check that carefully. Like with the Aquaduck, some are more lax with the rules than others.

MakiraMarlena said:

This will be like my family on our upcoming cruise.

While I admit to being a tad overcautious, I do think that in this day and age it's important to guard one's privacy. Better to be safe than sorry.

I guess the consensus is share what you feel comfortable sharing. We had first and last names on various magnets both times and for our upcoming cruise. Our FE has our first initial but no names.

We put our family name and lots of fun stuff on the door! Heck they leave letters addressed to our family on the door, we had no issues with that...its just a name!

We didn't do the message exchange thing, we had wave phones, I saw some people with "message boards" on the door and went back two days later and walked by glanced at it...same message still there I think the "magic" wore off after a day or two for most "message leavers"....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter