How much is your grocery bill running weekly?

Okay. But I still say you need to add "$30" to your amount spent for your time. Since as they say time is money. :)

I see your point, but I disagree. We all have the 24 hours in a day, some are more productive with the time they have. We have our budget in a spread sheet. By reducing our grocery/household money to $200 a week, it improves our bottom line. Also, I personally wouldn't work for minimum wage at this point in my life (and haven't since college/birth of our first child), I am worth so much more than that to my family right now. My kids are homeschooled, so I save money on not sending them to private school (and they benefit by getting an education tailored to each ones individual needs). We consider that money "saved" because we won't send them to public school (2 of our girls have Tourette Syndrome and OCD, yet gifted IQ's). The truth is, our frugal ways make HUGE difference in my families standard of living. I know families with less dependents and more income that can't do a lot of what my family does (annual disney passes, staying in resorts, renting cabins in the smokey mountains, paying cash and not living on credit cards). They choose to spend their time complaining about what they can't do. We choose to spend our time making it happen.

We spend about $250 weekly. But, that is split between the commissary (grocery on military instillation) and Publics. If I were to shop exclusively at Publics it would probably run $100 more. We are a family of 5 with two teens and a 6 year old. This includes food and other household products.

kaismommie said:
My son just started K and even though I do send sandwiches, I'm preparing mini freezer meals for him, and warming them up the morning of, and sending them to school in his thermos container. So far, he enjoys his hot lunches.

Do u mind sharing what type of thermos container u use? 4 yo gs is not even opening his sandwich at K4. This would probably help a lot.
Thanks

DH and I spend about $700/mo on groceries. No pets. That includes all cleaning products, paper goods, food, alcohol. We take lunch 75% of the time. We do buy coffee at Starbucks a couple of times a week and eat dinner out at least once per week. We're empty nesters and if I "had" to I could cut back on our bill. I go to Wegman's weekly (love that store) and DH makes a Costco run once or twice a month. So, at Wegmans' I spend about $120-140/week. On weeks where we are having the boys and ours parents over for dinner one night, I can easily spend $175.

We spend $150-$175 weekly at the grocery store if I only shop at Kroger. Sometimes I also shop at Publix and that adds about $50.

Ours is now about $90 a week, was $80 but our baby recently started eating a lot more, lol. In another month or so she'll be done with formula so it should go back down. We have dh, me, ds (3) and dd (9 mos.) This includes our dinners, lunch for 3 of us, breakfast for 2 of us, and household items, formula, diapers, and wipes. DS and DD eat breakfast at daycare 5 days a week, ds eats lunch @ daycare 5 days a week, and on Sundays we eat breakfast at church. We also coupon heavily and don't eat lots of processed things. I wish I could get the grocery bill even lower, but haven't found a way.

DH and I spend about $700/mo on groceries. We're empty nesters and if I "had" to I could cut back on our bill. I go to Wegman's weekly (love that store) and DH makes a Costco run once or twice a month. So, at Wegmans' I spend about $120-140/week. On weeks where we are having the boys and ours parents over for dinner one night, I can easily spend $175.

We used to spend $300/month for DH and me on food. (Restaurants are "entertainment" not "grocery" in our budget.)

My parents just moved to a retirement community 1.5 miles from us. Having them over is definitely raising that total. Not sure what the new average is going to be.

I love these grocery threads . It helps me to see where I can cut sometimes . I have to agree with most of what I read if not all on this one. We have company at least 3 times a week for dinner ( adult kids and spouses) so depending on what they feel like having it changes. Tonight its Rib Eye steak so of course its a little higher then last Sundays lasagna . I need to cut down on the type of food our dog eats LOL The beast needs a job at 85.00 a week for meds and food ( I work at a Vet Clinic and already get a discount)

We are a family of 3..... myself, hubby, and 4 year old son. Our grocery bill averages $100-150 per week. We also usually eat out about once per week.

My son just started K and even though I do send sandwiches, I'm preparing mini freezer meals for him, and warming them up the morning of, and sending them to school in his thermos container. So far, he enjoys his hot lunches.

Agree the thermos is the way to go.
My daughter and son have the option of hot lunches at school which runs 3.50 per meal. Thats a lot higher than a .89 cent can of spagettios/raviolis...which my kids totally love (they get fruit/yogurt too of course). 3.50 a day X 5 days...= 17.50 a week!

Or 70.00 a month..and for two kids..140.00 a month!

I just started using a thermos this year and my kids love it...love not having to wait in line at the cafeteria, and love being able to pick their hot meal. DD has already put in an order for chicken soup (about .50 a can) and ritz crackers for tuesday.

Agree the thermos is the way to go.
My daughter and son have the option of hot lunches at school which runs 3.50 per meal. Thats a lot higher than a .89 cent can of spagettios/raviolis...which my kids totally love (they get fruit/yogurt too of course). 3.50 a day X 5 days...= 17.50 a week!

Or 70.00 a month..and for two kids..140.00 a month!

I just started using a thermos this year and my kids love it...love not having to wait in line at the cafeteria, and love being able to pick their hot meal. DD has already put in an order for chicken soup (about .50 a can) and ritz crackers for tuesday.

I am going to start doing this again with my daughter's lunch. It gives her a variety of things to eat. I noticed one of my students eating ravioli the other day. I think I am going to try putting this in her thermos this week. I wonder how hot it will stay?

I am going to start doing this again with my daughter's lunch. It gives her a variety of things to eat. I noticed one of my students eating ravioli the other day. I think I am going to try putting this in her thermos this week. I wonder how hot it will stay?

Depends on the thermos, the type of food, and how much time is between prep and serving. The thermos I have is amazing and stays hot for 6+ hours... even when packed with a container with ice packs in it!

We are a family of 6 (well, dd got married last month...so I guess 5 now :sad2:) and we spend about $125 per week. I shop every 2 weeks and plan meals and buy what we need for those two weeks. I still need to go back for milk, bread and fruit sometimes....so maybe add $20).
We rarely eat out a sit down restaurants but will bring home Little Ceasers occasionally ($11) or BBQ ($13) to make sandwiches or Arbys ($6) 5/$5.95 special. All other nights I cook meals and we have leftovers on some nights.

$150 a week for two adults and an infant (just food, no houshold itmes). But in my defense, DH eats enough for two as he has a very physical job so it's more like feeding 3 adults. We also eat a lot of organic. I could try a bit harder to get that down some but really we can afford it and we like the foods we eat so what the heck!

Depends on the thermos, the type of food, and how much time is between prep and serving. The thermos I have is amazing and stays hot for 6+ hours... even when packed with a container with ice packs in it!

What type of thermos do you have?

We are a family of 4 (kids are 14 and 11) and spend between $600-700 month.
That includes paper goods, dog food, detergents

PP I got our wide mouth stainless steel thermos at KMart. Well worth the money! You do have to pre-heat it with boiling water.

$125 - $150 a week. Includes dog food when they need it, etc. however, we buy most of our meat from a local butcher shop and we spend more those weeks. Doesn't include chicken either, we buy those fresh from a local farm and freeze (they do the cleaning/packing).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter