How far out of touch am I? Cost of a glass of wine.

You can never tell the prices sometimes. I've been to a rather shabby bar near me and bought a pint (20oz) of cider for £3.75 ($5.50). Then I went to a lovely upmarket bar/bistro by the sea in a tourist trap area and paid £3 ($4.50)... It is completely random it seems to me. Fortunately I'm in a relatively cheap area for these things, near the capital the prices shoot up.

I've not even enquired at my local sports venue. They sell a can of pop for £2 ($3) so I dread to think what their alcohol prices are like.

It is the surcharge to enjoy a glass of wine in beautiful Peoria :lmao:

HI Shagley!!

Once again - we hit up The Famous City Bistro for lunch on Saturday- which has definitely become our favorite casual place to eat in Peoria! So - I will forever remember this suggestion from you!

Dr G has retired. My DD was a student aide this summer at Bradley - and she loved it! I think she would have enjoyed the interaction working with Dr. G (as the student aides work with many of the faculty) but it just wasn't meant to be.

Take care!

HI Shagley!!

Once again - we hit up The Famous City Bistro for lunch on Saturday- which has definitely become our favorite casual place to eat in Peoria! So - I will forever remember this suggestion from you!

Dr G has retired. My DD was a student aide this summer at Bradley - and she loved it! I think she would have enjoyed the interaction working with Dr. G (as the student aides work with many of the faculty) but it just wasn't meant to be.

Take care!

I'm happy to hear that your DD is enjoying her time at Bradley. I can't believe that Dr. G has retired, I think he has been there forever :). I'm glad you like the Famous City Bistro. I love their menu, I haven't ever had anything there that I didn't like. Sometimes the parking gets kind of tricky though in that little parking lot. I hope your DD has a good year. Feel free to let me know if she (or you) need anything that I can help with.

Around here, I'll usually go with a $7-$12 5 oz pour - I expect a bigger markup at a fancier restaurant or Disney. Hotel markups tend to be bad as well. And, of course, there are expensive glasses of wine - but I skip those being cheap.

One issue is that a hotel bar will have a "cheap house red" and a "cheap house white" - the white will usually be Chardonnay, the red is usually a Cab. There will often be a more expensive version of each of those grapes as well. But when you want something else - you ask for a Shiraz or a Pinot Grigio, they'll have one bottle that is per glass - and that is often a lot more expensive. And forget a hotel bar for a reasonable wine by the glass if you really want something in a less common grape. They don't sell enough to make it worthwhile to have open bottles.

I had a similar shocking experience while at a conference in Baltimore.

Sessions were over for the day so, as I was wandering around the Inner Harbor, I stepped into a place called Luckies Tavern, just looking for something light to eat for dinner. A sign out front said that appetizers were half price on Thursdays, so an order of $10 steamed crab dip sounded delicious for only $5. I ordered the appetizer at the bar and, while waiting, I decided to have a quick margarita.
I didn't ask for any special tequila, so imagine my surprise when the total bill came to $19!
For $5 crab dip and one margarita??

I was too embarrassed to ask what was up: Had they forgotten to give me the discount on the appetizer? Or did that drink really cost $14?
I guess I didn't want to complain and look cheap (even though I really am. Haha).

A glass of wine just really sounded GREAT! So - I went to the lobby bar, and asked for a glass of Pinot Grigio. The bartender asked - which size (there was a choice of 3, 6 or 9 oz), I picked the 9 oz size.

My eyes bugged out of my head when I saw that the cost of this was $17.80, plus the tip.

REALLY - my favorite bottle of wine only cost $16.

Other posters have already told you 9 oz is equal 2 glasses of wine. A glass of wine, in a hotel bar----$8.90 /glass sounds about right. Maybe even a little low. The few times a waiter "pushed" a double drink I asked the price difference. It was double. Sometimes you get a "deal", draft beer in a sports bar, but often there isn't any discount.

You said your favorite bottle of wine costs $16. A typical bottle of wine is 750 ml. Math tells us that is equal to 2.8 9oz glasses of wine per bottle. That's a markup of just over 300%. PP told you hotels typically markup wine, sold by the glass, by 800%.

That's my long of way of saying, assuming the wine was decent, the price you paid actually seems low. I'll speculate you would have been charged more then $8.90 for a 3 oz glass.

The markup is the reason why I quit drinking in commercial establishments around 20 years ago; it was one of the things that we gave up in order to build the save-to-buy-the-house-fund. Nowadays the house is paid for, but we still don't drink when we go out -- we've become accustomed to the lower cost of dining without alcohol. While we will enjoy it at home, we are just too cheap to pay that particular markup.

The last time I bought a cocktail or wine in a restaurant I think it cost around $4. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter