How far out of touch am I? Cost of a glass of wine.

clh2

<font color=green>I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my
I was out of town last night - as I was assisting DD - as she moved into her sorority this morning. It was a really, really long day (worked from 6:30 am to about 12:30; then drove until a little after 5 pm, got dinner with DD, packed up some of her stuff, moved her fridge etc, etc). Checked into the hotel about 9 pm.

A glass of wine just really sounded GREAT! So - I went to the lobby bar, and asked for a glass of Pinot Grigio. The bartender asked - which size (there was a choice of 3, 6 or 9 oz), I picked the 9 oz size.

My eyes bugged out of my head when I saw that the cost of this was $17.80, plus the tip.

REALLY - my favorite bottle of wine only cost $16.

So - I am curious - since DH and I usually bring a cooler of our favorite drinks to a hotel. How much would you except a glass of wine to cost?

If it matters - this was in Peoria IL, at a 3.5 star hotel. (For reference, I don't think we paid that much for a glass of wine when we were in New York last year.)

The hotel was lovely - and everything else was fine - just the cost of the wine has me a little "bothered".

9oz hope it was yummy. lol

No wine prices are so crazy, normally its better to just better to buy a bottle and get it over with.

You must not order wine at Disney! :rotfl2: We routinely pay $9-$15 at WDW for roughly 6 oz. Killer, I know, but we rarely go out for dinner during the year (due to my food allergies) so we live with the cost at WDW.

Ouch, but if it helps, think of it as the glass that celebrated your daughter off to college and, therefore, worth every penny. :goodvibes

Hmm. According to the restauranteur who taught my last class for a sommelier certificate, the industry standard for a (exluding a sparkling or dessert wine) glass of wine is a 5 oz. glass. You had nearly twice that amount. If you divide the cost of your glass by almost 1/2, you come in just under $9 for a standard glass of wine. Feel better now?

Hmm. According to the restauranteur who taught my last class for a sommelier certificate, the industry standard for a (exluding a sparkling or dessert wine) glass of wine is a 5 oz. glass. You had nearly twice that amount. If you divide the cost of your glass by almost 1/2, you come in just under $9 for a standard glass of wine. Feel better now?

Thanks all - it just totally shocked me! It wasn't even that great - HOWEVER - I wonder if I would have enjoyed it more if I wouldn't have known the price.

My DH (who was not with us) and I had a fun time texting back and forth about this.

I would LOVE to stay at this hotel again (if I can land it from priceline!) I'll just BYO next time!

don't ever go to a baseball stadium then. LOL. the price of a bottle of beer will make your heart skip a beat

Well, to start with 9 oz of wine is actually two servings so you didn't spend that much. A serving of wine is around 4 oz and that usually runs $7-12 here in restaurants/bars depending on the wine. It's not unusual to spend $12 and up in the city (DC or NYC for example) for a 4-5 oz serving of house wine.

don't ever go to a baseball stadium then. LOL. the price of a bottle of beer will make your heart skip a beat

I know for a FACT that I can get 2-20 oz beers (on tap vs bottle)at Miller Park for $15. That doesn't even hit my radar screen, maybe because I've worked concessions there several times. Or - maybe I just expect them to be expensive.

Well, to start with 9 oz of wine is actually two servings so you didn't spend that much. A serving of wine is around 4 oz and that usually runs $7-12 here in restaurants/bars depending on the wine. It's not unusual to spend $12 and up in the city (DC or NYC for example) for a 4-5 oz serving of house wine.

That's what it costs here. I love cruising - the drinks are cheap!

uggh!! Just went out to dinner at our local Mexican restaurant. A standard glass was $5, so yours would be roughly $10. I'd just chalk up your experience to alcohol always being overpriced. Hopefully you enjoyed it after a long day. Sometimes it's worth it to pay extra after working hard.

For that price I could have gotten a 5 liter box of my favorite wine. Yes I am a cheap drunk, but it works for me.

It is the surcharge to enjoy a glass of wine in beautiful Peoria :lmao:

Here in NYC a regular glass of wine (it sounds like a 9oz glass is a double serving?) would be anywhere from $9-$15. I definitely prefer it when I'm not the one picking up the tab!!

I live in a small midwestern town and the cost of a class for wine varies from about 5-8 dollars for a 4 oz glass at various restaurants. So for a 9oz with hotel mark-up, that sounds about right.

OP, I would not have been suprised. I hope it was a great wine. The offering of three measures would have prompted me to ask the prices. I like to order a bottle and have it sealed for later when I'm drinking at a restaurant. It's often cheaper by the bottle-or at least better wine.

Disney charges 11$ for nearly every Cabernet they sell (by the glass). I think some where I was only charged 9$ but I don't even remember where. I buy a glass at almost every dinner and shake my head every time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter