How do you feel about DH giving you a vacuum for Mother's Day.

I would like it. I would much rather have something useful than some trinket. I never have much use for jewelry, flowers and such, but give me a kitchen gadget and I am a happy gal!

Well, maybe not a kitchen gadget as I hate to cook, a vacumn would be great. I got a steam mop for Christmas and a new set of cookware!

I'm very practical, so I'm okay with DH giving me a vacuum or similar, as long as I had asked for it or said we needed it. If he just dropped a vacuum in my lap without me saying I'd like one, I might be a little iffy about it.

I ask for sides of beef or pork from my mom for Christmas though, so I may not be the best one to ask :rotfl2:

A friend of mine posted a pic on Facebook of the new vacuum her DH had bought her for Mother's Day. I was raised in a home, where if my Dad had given my Mom housewares he would have slept outside. Housewares were not a gift, they were a purchase that was made for the home. My DH would never by me a vacuum as a gift.

I must admit, that when I saw the pic of the vacuum, I thought to myself, "How awful" but I dare not post . My mother on the other hand is now 80 and has lost much of her filter. Apparently, she's FB friends with my friend. She posted exactly what she thought of that vacuum! While I agreed with my Mom's sentiment, I had to cringe when I saw her post.

I wish I could read what your mom posted! As far as I'm concerned, an 80 year old can say whatever they please.

I agree with this :):

I'd love a vacuum from my husband. As long as he planned to be the primary operator. That would be like me buying him a lawn hose for Father's Day. Not going to happen.

I do not consider an appliance or something I can use to clean the house a gift; I just buy these things when we need them.

I would like it. I would much rather have something useful than some trinket. I never have much use for jewelry, flowers and such, but give me a kitchen gadget and I am a happy gal!
I'm the same way.

However, I might be upset if he didn't get the absolute best price. I'm the one who buys things like that because I will wait for a really good sale and use coupons and get free shipping. LOL After 22 years together he's finally learning that about me and would just tell me to get it for myself. ;)

Not in this house. Things that are necessary for the successful running of the household are not appropriate gifts. My DH took a bit to get this but he totally knows now.

I don't want any gift that entails me doing more work.

If my dh wanted to buy me a vacuum, it better have a maid attached to the end of it.

I remember one Mother's Day when my Dad bought my Mom a handheld dustbuster. He was later able to use it to clean out the doghouse he was in. ;)

Vacuums, mops, cleaning stuff? No way, I would rather get no gifts. Fancy kitchen gadgets, I always love. I was not happy the year he got me a salad spinner for my birthday, however any gadget for baking makes me happy. Last year I got a cupcake decorating kit with an thing to fill the cupcakes insides -- loved it.

We only buy each other small, token gifts. We usually do a weekend at WDW to celebrate our birthdays.

I'd be ecstatic! And DH would hate every minute of it with his whole being. I almost always ask for practical gifts. And most of the time DH obliges but he really wants to splurge and buy me some piece of impractical jewelry or fancy perfume or purse that I will never use. That's just not me. I wear the Pandora he bought me because it makes him happy and I smile and thank him when he buys me new beads for it because it makes him happy but I'm not overwhelmed with the thing. Now when he bought me my Kitchenaid stand mixer...oh buddy was I happy!

So yes, a Dyson would thrill me because to me that is a splurge that I could enjoy!

A friend of mine posted a pic on Facebook of the new vacuum her DH had bought her for Mother's Day. I was raised in a home, where if my Dad had given my Mom housewares he would have slept outside. Housewares were not a gift, they were a purchase that was made for the home. My DH would never by me a vacuum as a gift.

I must admit, that when I saw the pic of the vacuum, I thought to myself, "How awful" but I dare not post . My mother on the other hand is now 80 and has lost much of her filter. Apparently, she's FB friends with my friend. She posted exactly what she thought of that vacuum! While I agreed with my Mom's sentiment, I had to cringe when I saw her post.
How would I feel about it? I would be wondering why my husband is buying me a Mother's Day gift when I'm not his mother!

I'd be cheesed off. Last year, dh bought me a lamp. It was a nice Mission-style lamp, but still.....really, a lamp? I'm practical all year long. This one day, I want something very impractical and indulgent.

I'd be ecstatic! And DH would hate every minute of it with his whole being. I almost always ask for practical gifts. And most of the time DH obliges but he really wants to splurge and buy me some piece of impractical jewelry or fancy perfume or purse that I will never use. That's just not me. I wear the Pandora he bought me because it makes him happy and I smile and thank him when he buys me new beads for it because it makes him happy but I'm not overwhelmed with the thing. !

Thing is, jewelry and perfume aren't my thing either. It doesn't have to be either or. There are other gifts beside girly girl impracticalities and household necessities.

How would I feel about it? I would be wondering why my husband is buying me a Mother's Day gift when I'm not his mother!

In this particular case her child is under two yo, but I was using Mother's Day as a generality. I would hate a vacuum for Christmas or my birthday too.

I'm really enjoying this post because in my life the shoe is on the other foot- a few birthday's ago I got DH a new vacuum. I have honestly never seen him so excited about a gift before or since. He ripped it right out of the packaging and began putting it to use immediately. He was positively giddy about how much better it cleaned than our last vacuum, and was so excited to show me how much it was picking up.

Yup, my husband is a clean freak and to him the vacuum was the best thing I possibly could have bought him. :goodvibes Maybe your friend is like my DH, personally I hate cleaning, but you never know what floats someone else's boat.

I received a Oreck vacuum from my brother and sister in law as a hostess gift last year. I honestly cried I was so happy! I had been asking for one for a few years and my husband just kept getting my old, totally beat up canister vacuum new parts..... I LOVE this vacuum. Love it. That being said, I would have been happy with it for mothers day too. I don't think I will be getting a "gift" this year, we made a Mothers Day donation to my daughters school instead.

I think if that is what she said she would like for Mother's Day then that is fine. Or if she is the practical type that likes that kind of gift too. I am one of those who also loves the occassional pots and pans, outdoor garden supplies, plants, or anything for the home as a birthday or special holiday, but then again my husband does not do flowers or expensive jewlery either! Its what you like and what you can afford I guess:goodvibes

I would be happy with a vacuum or anything. I like practical gifts. This year I am hoping that I get a hedge trimmer!

I appreciate practical gifts, however I do want them to be enjoyable as well. I'm not a jewelry-and-flowers kind of girl and I have a lot of household hobbies that I really enjoy. Cleaning isn't one of them, though. So a vacuum would land DH in the doghouse but a Kitchenaid mixer was one of the best birthday gifts he ever got me.

Around here Mother's Day isn't a gift-giving holiday, though. The kids make cards and usually a handprints stepping stone to add to my gardens, and DH either BBQs or takes us all out to dinner so I don't have to cook or clean up.

I've gotten the expensive jewelry and I've gotten the vacuum cleaner and I'd be thrilled with either. Though most of the time I'm thrilled with cards from the kids. OTH - I'd HATE a GC for a day at the spa or a massage or a maniture as all would be a huge waste. It's all in what the person asks for or wants.

Of course, I'm very happy with just a "Happy Mother's Day" because really to me, like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day is just a made up holiday anyway promoted by the card and retail industry to make money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter