how do you choose which resort?

1. Location
2. Theme

I only book if we're getting a % off of room only rate or a very good package deal. Free dining isn't an incentive for us.

We own DVC so that's how we choose. Location is less important to me as theme. I don't find bus service to be cumbersome. Last trip we chose the THV and AKV- both themes were amazing.

1st Location, 2nd theme and then pricing for us. We tend to do split stays so ... for each of the major areas (MK, EPCOT/DHS, AKL) we choose our favorite theme for that area and then work in the diiscounts. Next trip will be POR,WL and BC :cool1:

#1 - budget

#2 - How many days do we want to stay?

#3 - How many DVC points do we want to use & factor in future vacation stays.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We picked our fav theames, then decided how long we wanted to stay, then pushed numbers around till we found a happy medium.

For us, it comes down to one thing and one thing only. Cost. We are a family of five, so we stay at POR. Eventually we'd love to try other places, but for now, the price is right!

After quite a few stays at POR, I feel like its home. I think I'd actually miss it if we stayed at other places!

For us, it comes down to one thing and one thing only. Cost. We are a family of five, so we stay at POR. Eventually we'd love to try other places, but for now, the price is right!

After quite a few stays at POR, I feel like its home. I think I'd actually miss it if we stayed at other places!

so, i say-"come on down!" :rotfl:

we will overlap by a couple of days in august-we leave aug 26-pofq

:yay::yay:

First we decide if its going to be a girls only trip or if Dad is coming along since he won't stay in any of the values. After we figure out that part, the next factor is any AP discounts for the time we are going and what's available using rented DVC points. Finally, it depends on which one we haven't been to in awhile. We've stayed at every one except BLT and I'm hoping we can swing that one this December.

1. Likelihood of decent PIN offer so we're not paying rack rate.
2. In-room amenities (fridge, stove, multiple beds, etc).
3. Size of resort. The more spread out the better.
4. "Fun factor" of resort. Pools, food, arcade, activities, walking trails, etc.
5. Theme.

First we decide if its going to be a girls only trip or if Dad is coming along since he won't stay in any of the values. After we figure out that part, the next factor is any AP discounts for the time we are going and what's available using rented DVC points. Finally, it depends on which one we haven't been to in awhile. We've stayed at every one except BLT and I'm hoping we can swing that one this December.

that's fantastic :cool1::cool1:

-i'm very jealous-hope we get to that stage eventually also-but got a looong way to go! :goodvibes

I usually pick based on how long I plan on being in the room. I went with a set of friends, and then I went with my mom and sister. Both trips I figured we would be in the room just for sleeping so we booked value resorts. Pop Century both times. This next trip, my husband is going for his first time and I want to make it seem more relaxed and we might be in our room more than in the past so we booked moderate. Port Orleans- Riverside. If you dont plan on being in your room much then dont spend a lot of money. Pop Century is great theme and cheap in price.

Would have loved to go on theme ... would have picked:
Poly for the Theme and monorail
Wilderness Lodge for the Theme

Picked a Moderate because of budget. A gentleman I worked with who is a DVC member said that POFQ is the best moderate in his opinion. Plus it is small and has king size beds.

that's fantastic :cool1::cool1:

-i'm very jealous-hope we get to that stage eventually also-but got a looong way to go! :goodvibes

It doesn't help that they keep building new ones. :rotfl2: We managed to cross off Art of Animation last time. Now we got to figure out how to do the Grand Floridian DVC once it opens and still have enough money for getting there and eating there.

It doesn't help that they keep building new ones. :rotfl2: We managed to cross off Art of Animation last time. Now we got to figure out how to do the Grand Floridian DVC once it opens and still have enough money for getting there and eating there.

imo-food is overrated! :rotfl:

Usually for us it is price.

The first two trips with DH we chose a cheaper resort so we could stay longer and do more while we were there. My reasoning was that we don't utilize many of the resort amenities so it didn't make sense to pay for something we wouldn't use. Our first trip we were barely in the room and I assumed the second trip would be the same. To my dismay, DH insisted on a midday nap almost every day :faint: If DH is still in a napping mood when we go back we will definitely choose a resort that offers something for me to do while he wastes part of the day, I mean "nap" :laughing:

For the 2013 trip I chose the Contemporary for many different reasons. This trip is a surprise trip for my mother's birthday so I wanted something "magical" pixiedust: Really, what's more magical than watching fireworks from your balcony? We also wanted quick access to the parks (walking distance to MK and monorail to Epcot) and I know the resort is very nostalgic to my mother.

After this trip my husband really wants to try AKL and after that idk. After staying at a few deluxe resorts we may fall in love and decide they are worth the extra cash or we might find that we still don't spend enough time at the resort to justify the cost. I guess we will see.

Usually for us it is price.

The first two trips with DH we chose a cheaper resort so we could stay longer and do more while we were there. My reasoning was that we don't utilize many of the resort amenities so it didn't make sense to pay for something we wouldn't use. Our first trip we were barely in the room and I assumed the second trip would be the same. To my dismay, DH insisted on a midday nap almost every day :faint: If DH is still in a napping mood when we go back we will definitely choose a resort that offers something for me to do while he wastes part of the day, I mean "nap" :laughing:

my dh has been known to "rest his eyes" during cop,hop and ellen. ::yes::

For the 2013 trip I chose the Contemporary for many different reasons. This trip is a surprise trip for my mother's birthday so I wanted something "magical" pixiedust: Really, what's more magical than watching fireworks from your balcony? We also wanted quick access to the parks (walking distance to MK and monorail to Epcot) and I know the resort is very nostalgic to my mother.

that's really wonderful-how thoughtful of you. :goodvibes

After this trip my husband really wants to try AKL and after that idk. After staying at a few deluxe resorts we may fall in love and decide they are worth the extra cash or we might find that we still don't spend enough time at the resort to justify the cost. I guess we will see.

sounds like a good plan :thumbsup2

My pick is based on:
Transportation options
Theme

But not necessarily in that order. The priority given to each of those items varies with the trip. Some trips have larger budgets than others. For some trips, I know we'll be spending more time in one park than in the others and I'll choose a resort location that works well for our park plan. Some trips I know we'll be spending little time in the room while other trips we want to spend a lot of time enjoying the resort.

There's also the factor of us wanting to try new resorts. We've stayed at all 4 moderates now, but we haven't stayed at all the deluxes yet. So when we're booking a trip where we want to stay at a deluxe, I give consideration to resorts that we haven't stayed at before but are on our wish list. At the moderates, since we've stayed at all 4, more weight goes to the theme.

For me it depends on what I'm planning to do during the trip.

If its a trip where I'm going to be at the parks each morning for rope drop then I'd choose something close like Bay Lake Tower or Boardwalk. However if it was like my last trip where even though parks were a huge part but so was relaxing I choose Animal Kingdom. I LOVED being able to sit on the balcony and watch the animals roam around.

I'm gonna say price. I just booked a trip for February and since it was totally spur if the moment - I went with value! I would have loved to stay at Por, but considering we have another vacation scheduled in June . We really wanted to go as cheap as possible! And as long as I'm at Disney- I'm happy !! And it will be a wonderful unexpected surprise for my kids !

imo-food is overrated! :rotfl:

I have a tendency to stash food when we're traveling, especially since we drive down and its easy to pack a bag full of food. I'll just make sure to pack the trunk with food instead of clothes and since GF is going to be DVC I'd be able to eat in the room with no problems. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter