how do you choose which resort?

married2mm

DIS Veteran
i know there are often threads, which value/ moderate/ deluxe? poly or por etc.

but, how do you narrow it down to final choice(s)?

personally,we go for-
1st-free dining
2nd-price
3rd-read reviews :)

I've always picked based on resort theme first, then pricing. Free dining timing never works for us, so that isn't ever a consideration.

1. budget
2. free dining or room only code
3. if we need a pool slide that trip or not

When we went for the first time as a family, we knew we wanted the monorail because our DD was small enough to need a stroller. So for us, it was an easy choice.. We were lucky enough to get a 40% off pin code, so the GF was our first choice. And we are SO glad it was!! :thumbsup2

we debated staying in an Epcot resort for our next trip, but we loved being on the monorail so much, so we're going back to the GF. :love: There wasn't anything about that resort that we didn't fall in love with !!!

We choose on theme/decor. Price is also a consideration, but theme/decor comes first for us.

Pin Code Discount is the biggest factor! Next would be have we been to that specific resort in recent visits. Not one of the factors anymore because we know have to visit in June but if we went in cooler months I would choose a value. I want a moderate now because we travel in June & we want covered bus stops & somewhat better pool areas.

For me it is location location location location. I love yc/bc for being walking distance to epcot and hs plus their pool is the best one in all of disney.

This is our order of priority:

#1 - it has to be deluxe - we have always been willing to cut corners in other ways in order to afford a deluxe resort. We first started to go to the Magic Kingdom when it was the only park and the Contemporary and Polynesian were the only two resorts. We were spoiled from that point on. :)

#2 - it has to be a low crowd period - we love when it isn't crowded because we can see and do so much more

#3 - it has to be a value season - see note above - we want deluxe at a low price :)

#4 - location - we really like the Boardwalk area

#5 - availability - we "found" the BC when we took a Disney cruise and that was the resort they put us at. We've tried to stay there on every trip since then, except for our 2013 trip. We only stayed at the YC and the BWI because we couldn't get a room at the BC.

#6 - a desire to try something new -we are very excited to be going to the WL in February. The resort looks gorgeous, it is cheaper than the BC, and we are a little tired of the BC. Although I know I'll miss not being able to walk into Epcot, I'm still looking forward to being in a new resort. Going to the WL has made me excited to go back to WDW again.

My wallet decides!

Other than that, the theme. It's our first trip as a family, probably the only one we'll ever make in a disney resort, so we chose AoA little mermaid.

1) Theme (quickly followed by)
2) Price - including any discounts
3) location
4) transportation options

I love my balcony, but if I'll save a good amount of $$ staying at a moderate Ill do that. I always try to look at the deluxe and then go down my list from there. If its not matching I move into the moderates. Next year I might just start at moderate since POFQ looks so good to me - that's when theme wins over, plus the boat to DTD!

We fluctuate between mods and deluxe.
For mods. I look for theming, and amenities. POR has become our fav mod, love the theming, nice rooms and extra amenities like boat to DTD, horse & carriage rides, good marina, and fun evening entertainment.

For Deluxe, I look at budget, theming, amenities, pools, and balcony options. Also room discounts, I won't pay rack rate.

There are some resorts where the theming just doesn't interest me, in both categories.

We go during value season for best discounts and lowest crowds. It also happens to be when I get off work (schools).

You know, location/convenience used to be our main priority. We live fairly close to WDW and go for several short visits per year. We used to try and choose a resort based on which park/s we thought we'd be going to. Unfortunately, my kid has a habit of changing his mind at the last minute so that hasn't worked out for us as well as we hoped.

After location, we look at theme. And for me, that includes the room decor as much as the resort itself. So, for example, when we wanted to stay in the Epcot area, the YC probably has the most appealing overall theme to me, but I loved the look of the BWI rooms, so we stayed BWI.

Finally, but most important, price. We're FL residents and AP holders, so I only book with a discount. We might be totally set on a certain resort, but if no rooms are available with the discounts I have, I won't book it.

For us it's simply location. We find it enjoyable to be within a few minutes walk of IG and WS and the boats to HS. We love to go to WS for meals and entertainment, and going back and forth to our room, basically with little planning, makes all the difference for us.

Great question,

:goodvibes

For us it's simply location. We find it enjoyable to be within a few minutes walk of IG and WS and the boats to HS. We love to go to WS for meals and entertainment, and going back and forth to our room, basically with little planning, makes all the difference for us.

Great question,

:goodvibes

^^ Exactly!!

1. Free dining. I plan our trip around that, have to make it work.
2. Best bang for your buck. We like POR. It's beautiful, quite, love the boat to DTD, and my son loves the pool.

1. Budget/price
2. THEME!!! Sometimes theme makes us add a bit extra to our saving to cover the budget, but in the end it has to come after what we can feasibly afford.

Honestly, that's about it. This will likely be the only trip for my parents to stay on Disney, though, so I let them make the final decision. Because of that the use of two bathrooms/two 'bedrooms' was the most important. Apparently three women can 'take too long to get ready' in the mornings. Someone doesn't know how fast I can still get up and out the door when Mickey is involved. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter