Houston, We Have A Secret: A TX Vacation With A WDW Surprise ...aaand Done! Page 43

My Dad lives in Kingwood. I actually really like it there, just WAY to hot most of the time.

My aunt and uncle used to live in Kingwood. After he retired from Budweiser, they moved to the south side - Pearland.

The heat wasn't too bad when we were there - but then again, my aunt insisted we come in the March - April time frame before the summer heat and humidity gripped the city!

Joining in the fun over on this one. Already enjoying all the bantering going on. You guys are so funny.

And sorry for all your families losses. It's terrible when it happens just once but three times in a short time frame is a lot. Glad you were able to make sad times in to good family times.

Can't wait for the trip to start. popcorn::

"All new states are invested, more or less, by a class of noisy, second-rate men who are always in favor of rash and extreme measures, But Texas was absolutely overrun by such men."
-Sam Houston​

I don't know what we're getting ourselves into, but it sure sounds like fun!

Southbound Travel Day 1: Thursday, April 21
This being a Thursday, it was my normal day off from work (we work 4x10 hour days). We dropped Madison off at Kindergarten, then Evan and I drove Bambi down to her office in Kenosha. Our plan was for me to spend the day packing, pick Madison up from school, then pick Bambi up on our way to Chicago.

While pricing this trip out, we found it to be much cheaper to fly out of Midway on Southwest Airlines than to fly out of Milwaukee. Milwaukee's airport is only 30 minutes from home, compared to 2 hours to Midway, but the cost difference was pretty big. I looked at the parking costs at Midway, and when I came to, realized I was curled up in the fetal position on my office floor, sobbing and clutching my 401(k) statement. The following is a direct quote from one parking lot operator's website:

"Book with Park Ride Fly USA, and you can park at Midway Park Ride & Fly for $7.25 (outdoor) or $11.25 (indoor) plus $2.00 fuel surcharge per parking stay, $1.00 tax per day, $2.00 transfer fee per day, and a $3.00 convenience fee per parking stay. Guarantee this low parking rate by paying for your entire stay when you book online"​

So, um, that $7.25 per day really isn't $7.25 per day, then is it? All told, the cheapest place I could find was over $100 to park. So I started looking into a stay & fly package at the local hotels. (Our flight left at 6:00am, so it just made sense to stay down there, rather than make the drive from Racine a 2:30 in the morning). I found the Doubletree in Aslip, IL had a park & ride package for $150. A 4 star hotel for only $50 more that it would cost to park? Score!

So I spent the day packing, being careful that Evan didn't see me pack any of our Disney stuff - remember, the kids have no idea we're going to Disney World when we leave Houston. And since we'll be down there for Easter, I lent the Easter Bunny a hand an secretly pack Easter Baskets and gifts for the kids.

We picked Madison up at 2:30, then headed home to finish cleaning the house and checking off the last items on our packing list. We started heading south, picked Bambi up, and were on our way. We were getting hungry, so we stopped at an Oasis to eat. It's basically a strip mall & gas station, but suspended above the highway. The kids loved eating while watching the traffic buzz by underneath!

IMG00177-20110421-1724.jpg

For those keeping track, we noshed out on healthy, nutritious meals: Sbarro, Taco Bell and Panda Express. (Which despite the name, doesn't actually serve Panda. Who knew?)

The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful. We pulled into the hotel around 7 and Madison and I went to get checked in. And what did we get for our troubles? Warm chocolate chip cookies. Oh, I'll be staying here again.

The kids were pretty wound up from being in the van for 2 hours (well, and the chocolate chip cookies). They played while Bambi and I got everything ready for the morning. After all, with a 20 minute ride to the airport and 6:00 am flight, we had to be on the 4:00am shuttle.

It was a very fitful night sleep for me. I must have dreamed about getting up and going to take a shower at least a dozen times. I even dreamed that I told Bambi about having all these dreams. Well, the alarm clock finally did go off - and did it ever. That thing was like an tornado siren going off! But it did the trick. We all go up, got dressed and waited in the lobby for our ride. I later told Bambi about having a dream where I told her about having all of these dreams. Sounds like some kind of circle of life or something.:confused3

Southwest Check in was fine - I had paid to do the Earlybird check in, so all we did was check our (free!) bags and go through security. Security at Midway was pretty slow. They have 3 concourses, but only one security check point right before the split. Luckily it was early in the morning - I can see how that line could get long fast.

Breakfast was at the Pegasus on the Fly - a Greek restaurant just past security. The gyro with scrambled eggs was fantastic.

While waiting, the kids fired up thier Nintendo DSs.
IMG00182-20110422-0513.jpg

Boarding time! Boarding postions: A21-25! There were very few business class flyers in front of us, so we walked right on and sat in rows 2 and 3.
IMG00183-20110422-0540.jpg

IMG00184-20110422-0540.jpg

The flight down was fine, we met my Aunt near baggage claim, then took the Enterprise shuttle over to the lot. I tried to fit all of our luggage, three adults and two kids into the Camaro they had on the lot, but alas, we did not fit. Not even close. So into the Impala it was and we were driving around Houston in no time.

The first stop was The Williams Water Wall in Houston's Uptown district. While we were looking for a parking spot, we noticed that everything truly is bigger in Texas:
IMG00189-20110422-0952.jpg

The Uptown district has those street signs at all of the major intersections.

The Water Wall is on the grounds of the 64 story Williams Tower. The wall is 64 feet tall and 11,000 gallons of water cycle through it every minute - both on the inside and outside of the concave wall.

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

Ever wonder what 11,000 gallons of falling water sounds like? It's loud. I SAID "IT'S LOUD!"
IMG_5514.JPG

We spend a little while there, then my Aunt took us on a driving tour of the area. She showed us around the Medical Campus where she works - an area about 12 square blocks of nothing but hospitals, clinics, medical colleges, etc with every specialty, sub specialty, and sub sub specialty you can think of. There is even a clinic there that specializes in treating only dancer and musician injuries. Yeah, you read that right.

Well, as impressive as it was, both kids fell asleep during this time. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that they had been up since 3:30, but I can't be sure...

After the tour/nap, we had lunch at Chuy's - a Mexican restaurant in uptown Houston. The place was very eclectic- every random decoration you can think of all completely mismatched, but in a way that made it look really cool.

One section's ceiling was covered in hubcaps
IMG00196-20110422-1238.jpg

And they had the rear end of an old car. The trunk opened to reveal a buffet table!
IMG00198-20110422-1240.jpg

The food was really good, and gave us plenty of energy for our last stop - the Houston Children's Museum.

IMG_5537.JPG

They claim they are rated the Number 1 Children's museum in the nation by (I think) Parent's Magazine. And they didn't disappoint. The place is huge!

This climbing area was 3 stories tall!
IMG_5547.JPG

They had an entire "city" laid out with everything kid-sized, where they could do different jobs, earn money, then spend it at the other establishments in "Kidtropolis".
IMG_5567.JPG

IMG_5568.JPG

The police station, complete with Forensics Lab!
IMG_5561.JPG

Our veterinarian
IMG_5566.JPG

A supermarket, with real working computers that totaled up your order
IMG_5571.JPG

And outside was a huge interactive water play/discovery area
IMG_5574.JPG

Evan made a boat. Well, it was more of a submarine, but you get the idea.
IMG_5583.JPG

Back inside, they had a mini Epcot type of area with a Japanese house and a rural Mexican village - complete with an authentic VW Bus with a cage of chickens on the roof.
IMG_5592.JPG

Show Time!
IMG_5608.JPG

We finished up at the museum and drove back to Aunt Jo's house where we had a delicious dinner off of Uncle Jack's grill. We spent the evening catching up on old times and turned in.

UP NEXT: Downtown Houston and Hermann Park

Joining in the fun over on this one. Already enjoying all the bantering going on. You guys are so funny.

And sorry for all your families losses. It's terrible when it happens just once but three times in a short time frame is a lot. Glad you were able to make sad times in to good family times.

Can't wait for the trip to start. popcorn::
Welcome! and thank you. It was a pretty rough time, but we're a pretty resilient bunch and we pulled through. Disney World helps!

I'm (finally) here!
Welcome! You made it before the first update, and that's what really matters. :thumbsup2

Welcome! You made it before the first update, and that's what really matters. :thumbsup2

Thanks!

We've got a lot of friends in TX but never actually stayed longer than a day. It is in the short list of places I'd like to live though.

$2.00 fuel surcharge per parking stay
I do believe that is the first time I've ever seen a fuel surcharge for parking. Exactly how far from the airport is this lot??? :lmao::rotfl2:

(Which despite the name, doesn't actually serve Panda. Who knew?)
What do they serve then, bamboo?:confused3

Warm chocolate chip cookies. Oh, I'll be staying here again.
Good enough reason for me! :thumbsup2

Ever wonder what 11,000 gallons of falling water sounds like? It's loud. I SAID "IT'S LOUD!"
Huh??? PROUD OF WHAT????

And they had the rear end of an old car. The trunk opened to reveal a buffet table!
Then why didn't you take a picture with it open?

The Children's museum looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure they slept really well that night.

Nice update Barry!

"Book with Park Ride Fly USA, and you can park at Midway Park Ride & Fly for $7.25 (outdoor) or $11.25 (indoor) plus $2.00 fuel surcharge per parking stay, $1.00 tax per day, $2.00 transfer fee per day, and a $3.00 convenience fee per parking stay. Guarantee this low parking rate by paying for your entire stay when you book online"​

For the outdoor rate, the surcharges are actually more than the base price! :mad:

I tried to fit all of our luggage, three adults and two kids into the Camaro they had on the lot, but alas, we did not fit. Not even close. So into the Impala it was and we were driving around Houston in no time.

I have a story like that, that's too long to write and then won't sound funny when I'm done....but to shorten it: I got the rental car while on a business trip with a couple of other guys and it was a scenario like you describe (no kids though), only we didn't switch to the Impala. Loading it in a no-parking zone and leaving the airport was a nightmare.

The Water Wall is on the grounds of the 64 story Williams Tower. The wall is 64 feet tall and 11,000 gallons of water cycle through it every minute - both on the inside and outside of the concave wall.

Cool! I've been to Houston a couple of times on business and never got to see this neat stuff.

They had an entire "city" laid out with everything kid-sized, where they could do different jobs, earn money, then spend it at the other establishments in "Kidtropolis".

I think they could have left out the Proctologists office though, don't you? ;)

Back inside, they had a mini Epcot type of area with a Japanese house and a rural Mexican village - complete with an authentic VW Bus with a cage of chickens on the roof.

So, you're saying it was a......coupe/coop? :rotfl2:

I can't believe you missed that one pun-meister. :)

clutching my 401(k) statement.

Is it even worth anything anymore??

:scared1: That'd make me want to walk there.

A 4 star hotel for only $50 more that it would cost to park? Score!

Nice!

so we stopped at an Oasis to eat.

Oh yeah, that place that serves dried dates and goat meat stew.

Panda Express. (Which despite the name, doesn't actually serve Panda. Who knew?)

Too bad, I've heard it's rather tasty.

Warm chocolate chip cookies. Oh, I'll be staying here again.

But did you run out and grab some milk to go with them?

The gyro with scrambled eggs was fantastic.

Oh my! That sounds amazing!

So into the Impala it was and we were driving around Houston in no time.

Did it have independent hydraulic systems and fuzzy dice?

Those are really cool! :thumbsup2

Ever wonder what 11,000 gallons of falling water sounds like?

No, but my bladder thanks you this morning. :rolleyes:

every random decoration you can think of all completely mismatched, but in a way that made it look really cool.

Sounds like my house.

One section's ceiling was covered in hubcaps
IMG00196-20110422-1238.jpg

Except this part. (I couldn't find enough to really pull it off.)

IMG00198-20110422-1240.jpg

I want one of those! I'd be really popular at the tailgate parties!

IMG_5571.JPG

But were they priced with the outrageous prices I pay every week??

IMG_5592.JPG

I think they needed a horse milking station to represent Kazakhstan!

I looked at the parking costs at Midway, and when I came to, realized I was curled up in the fetal position on my office floor, sobbing and clutching my 401(k) statement.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Those fees are incredible. Funny thing about those fuel surcharges--everyone introduced them a few years ago when gas prices skyrocketed. Then when prices went back down, did the surcharges go away? :confused3

The kids loved eating while watching the traffic buzz by underneath!

Did it have a glass-bottom floor? Because that would be cool.

For those keeping track, we noshed out on healthy, nutritious meals: Sbarro, Taco Bell and Panda Express. (Which despite the name, doesn't actually serve Panda. Who knew?)

False advertising! Call the FCC!

I later told Bambi about having a dream where I told her about having all of these dreams. Sounds like some kind of circle of life or something.:confused3

Son? You wanna keep the job? Stay off the drugs.

I tried to fit all of our luggage, three adults and two kids into the Camaro they had on the lot, but alas, we did not fit. Not even close.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

I'm guessing those were installed before the recession.

IMG_5507.JPG
[/QUOTE]

That looks really cool! :thumbsup2

(scribbling down notes in case I ever get to Houston)

YOU WEREN'T FOULED! I DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH YOU!

I need this in my house! Where's Mrs. Knowitall when I need her?

The Children's Museum looks really cool. I'm sure they didn't charge the adults any admission, either. ;)

While pricing this trip out, we found it to be much cheaper to fly out of Midway on Southwest Airlines than to fly out of Milwaukee. Milwaukee's airport is only 30 minutes from home, compared to 2 hours to Midway, but the cost difference was pretty big. I looked at the parking costs at Midway, and when I came to, realized I was curled up in the fetal position on my office floor, sobbing and clutching my 401(k) statement. The following is a direct quote from one parking lot operator's website:

So, um, that $7.25 per day really isn't $7.25 per day, then is it? All told, the cheapest place I could find was over $100 to park.

Gotta love Mayor Daley and his taxes on EVERYTHING.

So I started looking into a stay & fly package at the local hotels. (Our flight left at 6:00am, so it just made sense to stay down there, rather than make the drive from Racine a 2:30 in the morning). I found the Doubletree in Aslip, IL had a park & ride package for $150. A 4 star hotel for only $50 more that it would cost to park? Score!

We've stayed in that Doubletree when we've had wrestling tournaments in the City. Very nice. :thumbsup2

IMG00177-20110421-1724.jpg

Great picture.

You really didn't eat at Sbarro, did you? :sick:

It was a very fitful night sleep for me. I must have dreamed about getting up and going to take a shower at least a dozen times. I even dreamed that I told Bambi about having all these dreams. Well, the alarm clock finally did go off - and did it ever. That thing was like an tornado siren going off! But it did the trick. We all go up, got dressed and waited in the lobby for our ride. I later told Bambi about having a dream where I told her about having all of these dreams. Sounds like some kind of circle of life or something.:confused3

Probably had something to do with the food you ate at the Oasis. ;)

Southwest Check in was fine - I had paid to do the Earlybird check in, so all we did was check our (free!) bags and go through security. Security at Midway was pretty slow. They have 3 concourses, but only one security check point right before the split. Luckily it was early in the morning - I can see how that line could get long fast.

We always fly out of O'Hare, but made an exception last year and flew out of Midway. We had a 1 p.m. flight and were in and out of security in five minutes. :confused3 However, we are back to O'Hare for our next flight. Although Midway is a small airport and easy to get around, I hate the runways.:scared1:

IMG_5514.JPG

It even LOOKS loud.

IMG_5537.JPG

They claim they are rated the Number 1 Children's museum in the nation by (I think) Parent's Magazine. And they didn't disappoint. The place is huge!

This climbing area was 3 stories tall!
IMG_5547.JPG

IMG_5567.JPG

IMG_5568.JPG

The police station, complete with Forensics Lab!
IMG_5561.JPG

Our veterinarian
IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5571.JPG

And outside was a huge interactive water play/discovery area
IMG_5574.JPG

Evan made a boat. Well, it was more of a submarine, but you get the idea.
IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5592.JPG

Show Time!
IMG_5608.JPG

Comments in red throughout.

WOW!!!! What an impressive Children's Museum. That is absolutely neat--I want to go play too.

Great First(really second) update.
I have always wanted to visit Texas. It looks like their is a lot of great things to do there. My dad hitch hiked to California in his late teens, so mid seventies and said he loved Texas. He said the landscape was beautiful and unlike anything he had seen, much different then Florida!! Go Figure!

Fun TR!! What a beautiful family you have - can't wait to read about the big WDW surprise! :banana:

Don't let my mindless drivel intimidate you. Just tell what happened and post some pictures - that's all a TR is. And if you mess up a few details, no one is going to know! :thumbsup2

Well, I went & did it: First entry to my first trip report is done!

Thanks!

We've got a lot of friends in TX but never actually stayed longer than a day. It is in the short list of places I'd like to live though.
I don't know if I could live there. There was a nice breeze off the gulf when we where there so the humidity was not a problem, but I've heard the heat can be bad.

I do believe that is the first time I've ever seen a fuel surcharge for parking. Exactly how far from the airport is this lot??? :lmao::rotfl2:
It looked like it was across the street. Maybe they use a '77 Pontiac as their shuttle vehicle?

What do they serve then, bamboo?:confused3
That would why there was a Panda in line behind me. Pushy fella, too. Kept checking his watch, crossing his arms and sighing. Settle down, buddy, we're all waiting in the same line.

Huh??? PROUD OF WHAT????
:thumbsup2

Then why didn't you take a picture with it open?
I didn't have my camera at the time. :confused3

The Children's museum looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure they slept really well that night.
It was a blast. And I wish they did...they were too wound up from the day and being at someone else' house.

For the outdoor rate, the surcharges are actually more than the base price! :mad:
I noticed that too! Me at the time ===>:eek:

I have a story like that, that's too long to write and then won't sound funny when I'm done....but to shorten it: I got the rental car while on a business trip with a couple of other guys and it was a scenario like you describe (no kids though), only we didn't switch to the Impala. Loading it in a no-parking zone and leaving the airport was a nightmare.
:rotfl2:
On our first Florida trip, sometime around 3 BC (Before Children) we rented a little Kia something-or-another. It was me, Bambi, and both of her parents, all of our luggage and two sets of golf clubs. The rental counter guys just watched in amazement as we packed as much stuff as we could, then sat Bambi and her mom in the back and packed the rest of the stuff around them!

Cool! I've been to Houston a couple of times on business and never got to see this neat stuff.
You need a different business. :thumbsup2

I think they could have left out the Proctologists office though, don't you? ;)
I didn't have as big a problem with that as I did the Mexican drug smuggling cartel warehouse playset.

So, you're saying it was a......coupe/coop? :rotfl2:

I can't believe you missed that one pun-meister. :)
Nah, puns were my shtick in my last TR. I don't think I'll do any in this one.

OK, maybe I'll sprinkle in a few just for old times sake.

Is it even worth anything anymore??
Yup, at this rate I'll be able to retire 4 days before I die. But only if I don't want to eat during those 4 days.

:scared1: That'd make me want to walk there.
That was actually on the table for a while.

Oh yeah, that place that serves dried dates and goat meat stew.
I think we're talking about different Oasises...

Too bad, I've heard it's rather tasty.
I've heard it's got the consistency of California Condor but more of a woodsy aftertaste like Spotted Owl.

But did you run out and grab some milk to go with them?
Nah, just polished them off and licked our fingers clean.

Oh my! That sounds amazing!
::yes:: ::yes::

Did it have independent hydraulic systems and fuzzy dice?
There was an extra daily fee for the "ghetto package," and I'm too cheap to pay for it.

No, but my bladder thanks you this morning. :rolleyes:
How about this: drip. drip. drip. drip.

But were they priced with the outrageous prices I pay every week??
Considering everything was an empty box or made of plastic, yes it was way over priced.

I think they needed a horse milking station to represent Kazakhstan!
Ummmm.....yeaaaaaaah.

I'm so glad that you guys were able to visit the Childrens Museum. My kids really enjoy going there. It's so funny to look at the pictures of the Williams Tower. I drive by it everyday on my to work, but never take the time to really appreciate it's beauty. It was really nice to see it through someone else's eyes. Can't wait to hear more about your visit to Houston.

Those fees are incredible. Funny thing about those fuel surcharges--everyone introduced them a few years ago when gas prices skyrocketed. Then when prices went back down, did the surcharges go away? :confused3
Just like the airline baggage fees...

Did it have a glass-bottom floor? Because that would be cool.
Illinois charges enough for their tolls already - let's not give them any ideas.

False advertising! Call the FCC!
Think AJRitz will take the case if we decide to sue?

Son? You wanna keep the job? Stay off the drugs.
As long as you're asking, why not ask for a cool million?
You do not think that would be too much?
Naaah

Pictures or it didn't happen!
I wish. It didn't even get that far. We were crossing the lot heading to our car when I stopped to eye up the Camaro. Bambi immediately caught me eyeing it and told me to keep moving. :sad2:

I'm guessing those were installed before the recession.
I'm not sure how much Houston was affected by the recession. There is a looooooot of money down there!

That looks really cool! :thumbsup2
::yes::

I need this in my house! Where's Mrs. Knowitall when I need her?
If she's anything like Bambi, she's reading along, ready to swoop in an correct any/every thing I say.

The Children's Museum looks really cool. I'm sure they didn't charge the adults any admission, either. ;)
:lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl:

You really didn't eat at Sbarro, did you?
Me? No. Bambi and Evan did. Although Evan did give me a bite, it wasn't bad.

We always fly out of O'Hare, but made an exception last year and flew out of Midway. We had a 1 p.m. flight and were in and out of security in five minutes. However, we are back to O'Hare for our next flight. Although Midway is a small airport and easy to get around, I hate the runways.
The runways don't bother me that much. I just sit in the back and let the pilot worry about runway length.
WOW!!!! What an impressive Children's Museum. That is absolutely neat--I want to go play too.[/COLOR]
I may have dabbled in playing with a few things. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter