Houston, We Have A Secret: A TX Vacation With A WDW Surprise ...aaand Done! Page 43

For those of you that know me, you know that I have posted a picture of my kids, all nestled snug in bed, about to be woken up and forced to have fun in every single one of my previous Trip Reports. So there's no reason to think I'm going to break that streak now, is there?

IMG_6234.JPG

You know they will get even with you when you are old and senile, don't you? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Man, trip reporting is fun!

I did let the kids sleep in for a little bit this morning while I ran downstairs to to gift shop/general store to pick up some breakfast. Our typical Disney breakfast is eaten in the hotel room, but coming from Houston, we didn't have the ability to pack any of the food we would usually bring. I browsed around the store for a bit and was asked by several Cast Members if they could assist me with anything. I asked them for recommendations on what type of mood my kids would be in when they woke up so I could get the right type of food so I wouldn't have to come back down again. As good as Disney is at guest service, they really had no clue on this one.

I eventually settled on a pack of English Muffins, a small jar of peanut butter, a half gallon of milk, some string cheese and a bunch of bananas. I paid the bill, and when the lady told me to have a magical day, I just replied with "I'll see you in 20 minutes when my kids wake up and they decide that I picked wrong."

(Side Note: while the $17 I paid for those items was much steeper than I would normally pay in a grocery store, it's still much cheaper than any restaurant breakfast on property. So technically I still came out ahead)

As usual, Evan was the first one up and enjoyed his morning cheese stick on the balcony. One of these days we're going to get a savanna view room...
IMG_6235.JPG

Soon everyone was up, dressed and fed (after another trip down to the store - I think for peanut butter and jelly Uncrustable sandwiches),

Such a good daddy you are!

and we were on our way to...

25617530001.jpg

Great family photo!

...EPCOT, and the Flower and Garden Festival.

There's really no bad time of the year to visit Disney World - the Halloween Decorations are awesome, the Christmas themeing is out of this world, but Spring is one of my 3 favorite seasons to visit. (I've never been there in the summer, so I can't speak to that. Although, we do leave in leave in 2 weeks, so I'll let you know what I think of it when we get back). Anyway, back to Spring. EPCOT goes all out with their planting and the flowers are just amazing...

IMG_6242.JPG

IMG_6247.JPG

My first stop - it's always my first stop at EPCOT - was The Land for Soarin Fast Passes. Grandma & Grandpa were still en route from their house, so the 4 of us hit what is probably Evan's favorite ride: Test Track!

IMG_6249.JPG

Madison took us out on some high speed loops. The back end was a little sloppy coming out of the turn, so she radioed into the pit crew to take out two turns of wedge on the next stop. (I haven't followed professional racing in a few years. Hopefully someone will come along and tell me if that sentence made any sense.)
IMG_6252.JPG

Enjoy that hair blowing in the wind, buddy. If you're anything like daddy, it isn't going to last forever.
IMG_6253.JPG

You know the balding man's mantra, "Hair today, gone tomorrow." :thumbsup2

That was even bad for you.

It's a pretty tame Photopass picture by Photopass Picture standards, but I though I would post because Madison is scared that she is...plugging her ears?
25617530008.jpg

You guys look like you just woke up.

We stopped in the GM showroom on our way out to check out the Camero.
IMG_6257.JPG

Don't worry, Evan, as soon as I hit my mid-life crisis, we'll be getting one of these bad boys. And a color-coordinated Yellow Pages for you to sit on so you can see out.

How come we don't get a toy when we hit mid-life?

It wasn't quite Soarin FastPass return time yet, but it was getting close. We started the walk across the park but noticed the Character Greeting Spot line was about as short as we'd ever seen it, so we jumped in. They have several widescreen TVs mounted in the queue showing old Disney cartoons to entertain the ... kids ... while you wait. What I thought was cool was that instead of having a black bar on either side of the cartoon to fill up the space on the widescreen TV, they pushed the cartoon to one side, and put trivia about the cartoon, director, voice actor, etc on the other side.

Well, a few Mickey & Donald cartoons later, and we were face to face the Mouse himself.
IMG_6266.JPG

And since we're on the topic, allow me to rant about Mickey's ears for just a moment. How do you handle pictures with him? Madison and Evan don't have to worry because they're short enough. But Bambi and I are demonstrating two of the classic moves: I'm standing a bit further off to the side, she's doing the "duck under". Much like the riddle of the Sphinx, it's a classic puzzle: how do you take the optimal picture with Mickey Mouse without his ears getting in the way?

Moving on down the line, we came to the animated dog that doesn't talk:
IMG_6270.JPG

About this time, Bambi's parents found us and jumped in the picture with Mickey's BFF (I'm not a 12 year old girl, so could someone tell me if I used "BBF" in the correct context here?)
IMG_6278.JPG

The pants-less duck. Madison, watch your hand there, sweetheart.
IMG_6282.JPG

That is just not right, Barry. :sad2:

And finally the animated dog that does talk. Also in the picture: Goofy.
IMG_6291.JPG

I see Goofy; who is the guy with the green hat? ;)

After the character greeting, I headed over to Mouse Gears to spend the "20% before noon" coupon that Disney was printing on their dining receipts. The rest of the family went to go see Figment and his nasty, disgusting skunk smell.
IMG_6294.JPG

Before we left, Chris (DisDadDoc) told us about when he went there with his kids, he was telling them about the loops that they put into this ride to make it more exciting. The CM actually played along and, as their car started to move past the operator's podium, told them to make sure they fastened their seat belts. The kids panicked for a bit because their car didn't have seat belts.

Well, never a family to pass up the opportunity for a little psychological torture to our own flesh and blood, Bambi tried the same trick. Her Cast Member, however, did not get the joke and would not play along. Spoil sport.

But no matter, they enjoyed the ride as much as they always have (kids: a lot. Bambi: well, let's just say the ride isn't long enough for her to cut her hair off, braid it into a noose and hang herself. Not that she hasn't tried.)

You guys don't like Figment? How can you not like Figment? It is one of my favorites. Granted, it is not the original, but this edition is definitely better than the middle on. And he's such a cute purple guy.

I met up with them at the exit and watched Evan sing some House of Pain to himself. (♪ ♪ ♫"I came to get down. I came to get down. So get out your seats and jump around. Jump around, Jump around, Jump around. Jump up, Jump up and get down."♪ ♪ ♫)...
IMG_6299.JPG

There's Evan trying those groove moves again.

...and to see Madison firmly establishing herself as the next Van Gogh (minus the creepy ear thing).
IMG_6300.JPG

Sadly, the Finding Nemo ride was down. (No, seriously, sadly. I like this ride). So, we crossed the park again for another ride on Test Track. We happen to cross the park several times on this trip. Not the most efficient touring strategy, but at least we got to walk by that really cool fountain a lot. I'll take that view as a consolation prize any day.

Coming Up Next: Some wonderful nature and something disgustingly unnatural.

Great update yet again, sir (and, as always, my comments in red)

Another great update. I would suggest a third option when faced with Mickey's ear: Try to stand just infront of the ear closest to you. Sure! You might look like your trying to edge Mr. Mouse out of the spotlight, but it worked for Michael J.

castle,disney,disneyland,magic,kingdom,michael,jackson,mickey,mouse-eb96049c2d9d8bbeada31b39a53d9114_h.jpg

:lmao:

And to catch you up on pre-teen slang...
BFF= Best Friends Forever

I think Minnie might be more like GFF, Girl Friend Forever? :rotfl:

Madison and Evan are adorable as always. Jump Around! Jump Around...

Great update! Yummm, morning cheese stick - such a healthy breakfast! Also, love Evan's 3 Moods of Test Track. He presents them quite well! :laughing:

Spring is one of my 3 favorite seasons to visit. (I've never been there in the summer, so I can't speak to that.
Coincidentally, I've only been there in the summer and have only experienced the other seasons through Trip Reports. Thank you for sharing, and I'm sure you'll love summer as well. As far as I can tell, it is like the other 3 seasons, but with less "special" decorations and hotter.:lmao::rotfl2:

The back end was a little sloppy coming out of the turn, so she radioed into the pit crew to take out two turns of wedge on the next stop. (I haven't followed professional racing in a few years. Hopefully someone will come along and tell me if that sentence made any sense.)
Well, the terminology is right, but backwards...
1 Loose car - 2 turns of wedge = 1 big wreck :thumbsup2
Didn't they teach you any of these high speed basics when they sold you that van?

The pants-less duck. Madison, watch your hand there, sweetheart.
:scared1:
:lmao::rotfl2:

I can't believe you post embarrassing pictures of Evan and Jasmine then Madison and Donald... I mean they will be great for the pcture clips at their graduation parties in a few years, but I feel sorry for your kids.

And finally the animated dog that does talk. Also in the picture: Goofy.
They both look Goofy to me.

I met up with them at the exit and watched Evan sing some House of Pain to himself. (♪ ♪ ♫"I came to get down. I came to get down. So get out your seats and jump around. Jump around, Jump around, Jump around. Jump up, Jump up and get down."♪ ♪ ♫)...
Yep, an obvious Badgers fan.:lmao:

Not the most efficient touring strategy, but at least we got to walk by that really cool fountain a lot. I'll take that view as a consolation prize any day.
When in Disney World...
Fun > Efficiency

I'm In :) My daughter reccommended this TR to me and I have been really enjoying it :) Can't wait to hear more :)

I'm pretty sure you have used BFF in the right context. Although maybe in Mickey and Minnie's case it should be BMF?!:goodvibes... Did Mickey and Minnie ever get married or are they just boymouse and girlmouse?! :lmao:
Bambi and I had Bride Minnie and Groom Mickey as the topper on our wedding cake. They may have just been playing dress-up for us though, because I don't think they ever got married.

:thumbsup2 great update barry. $17 for pb and english muffins???:lmao: did you ever notice how wdw is so good at parting you from your money and like me, you could careless.:lmao: at home you would say, im not paying that!! at wdw, you just pay it,smile and say thank you!!!:lmao: how do they do it!!! :lmao: love the pics of the kids sleepin and test track. i wonder how they do it without there feet being on the floor bracing themselves. i like the hawian shirt!:thumbsup2
Yup, just throw the Disney Visa on the counter and thank Mickey for the opportunity to spend money.

Loved the update! I have to say that I was so happy to finally experience Epcot for Flower & Garden Festival. We always go to WDW in Nov & Dec, so it was such a nice change. And I have to say, I absolutely LOVED that in y'alls picture with Mickey, Madison is holding one leg up. She's so cute!
They really dress the park up for Flower & Garden. Kind of makes you wish they would keep it like that, but I would assume the maintenance of keeping all of the flowers fresh is much more than just running a lawn mower over the sod every few days.
And yes, Madison really knows how to mug for the camera, doesn't she?:goodvibes

I keep thinking that I need a "do it all" lens but I can't afford one yet. The best price I can find on that lens is still $415 and that's way outside our budget.
It was several weeks of research and agonizing. Then a few more spent digging around every website I could for the best price.

Something with lots of sugar. Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs?
I like the fact that then you get chocolate milk to drink when the cereal is all gone.

I miss Calvin and Hobbs.:sad1:

I'm glad you're researching this carefully, just to make sure. Spring looks cool, but I think I need to see Christmas first.
Your bucket list is in correct order. :thumbsup2

That picture is really, really cute. And I have no idea if your racing terms are correct or not. I just thought you were supposed to say Shake and Bake! a lot.
Is that a catchphrase or epilepsy?

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 If that doesn't fly, go for the Harley and a sidecar.
Why don't you think it would fly? I'm pretty sure I can hit the little hump at the end of my driveway and fly all the way to the garage. :car:

That is pretty cool, in a nerdy sort of way.
Nerd cool is the best sort of cool.

Why not stand directly in front of him? Then you can do the cheesy "Hey, I've got mouse ears" picture. :thumbsup2
Hmmm...I may try that next time...:scratchin

OMG! ROFL! brb.
Your daughter told you those, didn't she?

God bless CM's with a sense of humor.
::yes::

I still find it ironic that Journey Into Imagination is one of the least imaginative rides at WDW.
Things that make you go "hmmmm"...
Uh oh. Evan's beans are coming back to haunt him?
Worse. :eek:

What is it with men and yellow cars? We have a yellow cobra convertable sitting in the driveway right now that DH brought home last summer (he's a car dealer btw) to take to the beach. DS loved it so much that DH said he would keep it for him. DS is 7
A Mustang Cobra for a first car? You've got 9 year before he starts driving - better start saving for the insurance premiums now. :eek:

And yellow is nice, but I'll also accept Black, Red or the pretty cool lime green one I've been seeing driving around town. Just in case Bambi is reading. :goodvibes
Good tune! DH and I where actually introduced to this song at our wedding.
Nice! Our song was "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" :thumbsup2

I am so-o-o-o enjoying your trip report! The photos are wonderful. My favorite is the one of Madison driving the test car. and the one of the kids snuggled in the bed. and the one of the hot and cold test car conditions...you get the idea. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks! As long as people keep enjoying 'em, I'll keep posting. Heck, even after everyone gets sick of them, I'll keep posting them just because I like them so much!

Well, I thought we could be friends... but you don't like Figment.

Alright. Maybe we can still be friends, if you let me not like Nemo. There were even.
I never said I don't like Figment. He's actually kind of cute. But it's one of those rides I can do but it isn't on my "must do" list every trip.

Now, you don't like Nemo the movie, Nemo the fish, or Nemo the ride?:confused3
PB&J on an English Muffin? Mmmm... I'd even rather have that than a scrambled egg any day. Good choice, Papa!
You know what goes good with PB&J on an English Muffin? Scrambled egg. :thumbsup2
So, if I sat in that same Camero and took a picture, is my mid-life crisis looming? Just wondering... cuz, the sooner I get one of those, the better!
:thumbsup2
What do people in Craplikistan get for a mid life crisis? A newer, faster donkey?:confused3:confused3

How can you like Nemo and not Figment? I practically go sprawling across the bottom of my Clammobile every time I go on that ride (just try and tell me it's not at an awkward entering height!)
Let's see:
Nemo: Heartwarming tale of adventure and a father's love set against the wondrous backdrop of the World's Oceans.
Figment: Creepy Dr. Channing in the moon singing a song that is going to be stuck so far deep into your head that you will run screaming to It's A Small World just to get it out.

:rotfl2:

I love Figment. I adore Figment. I also know enough by now to start holding my nose at the end of the Sight Lab and not let up until we are well past the Smell Lab. It's all about preparation (like bringing plastic bags for Kali River Rapids). I'm telling you, hold your nose and you'll find Figment just as endearing as I do. Or at least definitely more endearing than that horrifying Angler fish. :thumbsup2
Actually, the skunk part is my favorite. :rolleyes1

From snoozing babes to racing daze. EPCOT during the F & G is spectacular.

I think everyone is right- Evan's beans are coming back. :eek:
I don't want to spoil it, but even the second coming of Evan's beans would be better than this...

You know they will get even with you when you are old and senile, don't you?
Exactly. That's why I'm enjoying heck out of this while I can.

Such a good daddy you are!
Thanks. Every once in a while I try to slip in something nice. Maybe they'll remember those times when picking the old folks home they stick me in.

That was even bad for you.
There are no bad jokes. Only bad people that tell jokes. :thumbsup2

How come we don't get a toy when we hit mid-life?
What's stopping you?
http://www.lamborghinichicago.com/ Google Maps says they are only 31 minutes away from Carol Stream. But probably only 15 minutes back home. :drive:

You guys don't like Figment? How can you not like Figment? It is one of my favorites. Granted, it is not the original, but this edition is definitely better than the middle on. And he's such a cute purple guy.
Clearly what I said didn't come out right. The kids love Figment. That ride is one of their "must dos". It's just not mine.

Great update yet again, sir (and, as always, my comments in red)
Thanks.
Wow, the last time I was called "sir" it was followed by "you're making a scene"

Another great update. I would suggest a third option when faced with Mickey's ear: Try to stand just infront of the ear closest to you. Sure! You might look like your trying to edge Mr. Mouse out of the spotlight, but it worked for Michael J.
Yes, but when you have Eleventy Billion Dollars, you can stand anywhere you want. If I tried that move, Disney's Intellectual Property Lawyers would pull me aside so I'm not blocking the copyrighted material. :rotfl2:

And to catch you up on pre-teen slang...
BFF= Best Friends Forever

I think Minnie might be more like GFF, Girl Friend Forever? :rotfl:
Madison is only 6, so I hope I have a few years to study up on this stuff. Of course, by then all of us old people will know it and the kids will switch to some other slang. Word to your mother. :thumbsup2

Madison and Evan are adorable as always. Jump Around! Jump Around...
Thanks!

Great update! Yummm, morning cheese stick - such a healthy breakfast! Also, love Evan's 3 Moods of Test Track. He presents them quite well! :laughing:
We're from Wisconsin. Anything not deep fried is considered healthy.
And deep fried vegetables are still vegetables, so they're healthy, too. :thumbsup2

Coincidentally, I've only been there in the summer and have only experienced the other seasons through Trip Reports. Thank you for sharing, and I'm sure you'll love summer as well. As far as I can tell, it is like the other 3 seasons, but with less "special" decorations and hotter.:lmao::rotfl2:
You make it sound so.....appealing. :sad1:
Well, the terminology is right, but backwards...
1 Loose car - 2 turns of wedge = 1 big wreck :thumbsup2
Didn't they teach you any of these high speed basics when they sold you that van?
They skipped this stuff and when right into aeronautics because the wheels barely touch the ground once you get up to speed in that thing. :thumbsup2

I can't believe you post embarrassing pictures of Evan and Jasmine then Madison and Donald... I mean they will be great for the pcture clips at their graduation parties in a few years, but I feel sorry for your kids.
They're not reading along, so it's OK.
They both look Goofy to me.
Gwarsh, thanks!
Yep, an obvious Badgers fan.:lmao:
:thumbsup2
When in Disney World...
Fun > Efficiency
Nice use of Math!

I'm In :) My daughter reccommended this TR to me and I have been really enjoying it :) Can't wait to hear more :)
Thanks and Welcome!
Wow! I'm getting word of mouth advertising? :eek: Who's your daughter?
also your kids are ADORABLE!!!!!
Thank you!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Glad to see you guys had a fun day at epcot. I liked the three modes of test track picture you did with your son.

Well, it is EPCOT... so yes, it is very appealing. I've been in the park on July 4 before and still had a fantastic time!:thumbsup2

I'm nervous about our upcoming trip. Not the heat so much, but the crowds. I've been reading a few Christmas Week TRs and the crowds sound horrible. Luckily, we're going with the mindset that "we've been there before, we'll be there again. If we don't do something this time, it's not the end of the world."

I'm nervous about our upcoming trip. Not the heat so much, but the crowds. I've been reading a few Christmas Week TRs and the crowds sound horrible. Luckily, we're going with the mindset that "we've been there before, we'll be there again. If we don't do something this time, it's not the end of the world."

You should be ok... on our last trip we went the third week of July in 2008. The only absurdly long lines we encountered were for Soarin' and Toy Story Mania, which had just recently opened. Both were consistently about 2 hours and ran out of FP fairly early. We just got FP for those early and one afternoon waited standby for each of them just because the lines were indoors (translation: air conditioned):rotfl2:. Honestly the heat was the worst part, but Dole Whips, taking breaks, Dole whips, seeking out the A/C and Dole Whips will help with that. You've been there enough, you'll be fine. :thumbsup2

Then you will survive. Given the size of EPCOT, the crowd spreads out a bit and even at Christmas time, we were able to hit every ride we really wanted to see. MK is a bit tougher (as you’ve already read) get there at rope drop if possible and get to the must haves quickly. Other then that, be flexible and you’ll make it.

(Just don’t let your “third self” start to control the thought process… We don’t need to hear about any type of mayhem at the parks :rolleyes1)

Thinking out loud: “So, just how much is a one Day park hopper? We’re still not “planning” to hit the parks this time, but I’m starting to second guess that idea as well”

I love your report! I'm from Houston so it was so funny looking through the beginning of your report and seeing the pictures of Houston that I see every day on my way to work! :laughing: Can't wait to read more!

BTW, Chuy's is one of our favorite restaurants!

You should be ok... on our last trip we went the third week of July in 2008. The only absurdly long lines we encountered were for Soarin' and Toy Story Mania, which had just recently opened. Both were consistently about 2 hours and ran out of FP fairly early. We just got FP for those early and one afternoon waited standby for each of them just because the lines were indoors (translation: air conditioned):rotfl2:. Honestly the heat was the worst part, but Dole Whips, taking breaks, Dole whips, seeking out the A/C and Dole Whips will help with that. You've been there enough, you'll be fine. :thumbsup2
Hmm...Dole Whips you say? I think I'll have to look into this...:rolleyes:

Then you will survive. Given the size of EPCOT, the crowd spreads out a bit and even at Christmas time, we were able to hit every ride we really wanted to see. MK is a bit tougher (as you’ve already read) get there at rope drop if possible and get to the must haves quickly. Other then that, be flexible and you’ll make it.

(Just don’t let your “third self” start to control the thought process… We don’t need to hear about any type of mayhem at the parks :rolleyes1)

Thinking out loud: “So, just how much is a one Day park hopper? We’re still not “planning” to hit the parks this time, but I’m starting to second guess that idea as well”
Rope drop will be the biggest issue. Because we're staying off site - way off site with Bambi's parents. The drive to WDW is about 30-40 minutes on top of getting everyone up and moving.

Oh man, just imagine the carnage that your 3rd self and my 3rd self could do if they got together. On second thought - for the sake of the world - we'd better make sure that never happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter