Houston, We Have A Secret: A TX Vacation With A WDW Surprise ...aaand Done! Page 43

nice update barry. its a rental!:lmao: the water looks cold for some reason.:lmao:
Thanks Dave. The water wasn't too bad. Nothing I'd like to hang out in all day, but it was OK to wade in a little bit.

Just found your trip reports last night and enjoyed them all with my 3.5 year old. I had to speed read at times, b/c she was only interested in the pictures of Madison and Evan. She wants to do EVERYTHING like Madison, include carry a tiger on her head, go to the space station and ride a train. I hope to find time to go back and actually read all the parts that I had to skim through.

Can't wait to hear about the WDW surprise coming up! Thanks for sharing everything. Great trip reports!
All of them? Really? I hope you took a break or two in there. 4 out of 5 doctors recommend limiting your exposure to my mindless dribble. (The 5th couldn't even get through the first one before going insane...)
Seriously, thanks for checking them out. I'll be sure to let Madison know she has a little fan!

I love your report the part of the beach that you came across when you got off the ferry is what is left after hurricane IKE that is what used to be Crystal Beach it looks much better than it did after the hurricane that is actually the best place to stay in the summer we used to go every summer till IKE happened but if you go down a little farther you can see where they are rebuilding before IKE you would see nothing but beach houses but our beloved island is coming back we are staying there this summer. We must have been at disney the same time we just got back yesterday

Thanks for reading along!

I remember seeing pictures of the area after Ike went through - it was pretty bad. Glad to hear that the island is starting to rebound!

Tuesday, April 26

Evan and I woke up early this morning. (Deja vu, huh?) It was the start of our last full day in Houston and the first day back at work for my Aunt after Easter. Her 15 mile commute can be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or more, depending on Houston's rush hour traffic. We bid her farewell, thanked her for her hospitality, then ate sugary cereal and watched Phineas & Ferb as she drove away.

We took the much more sane route - let the girls sleep in, pack up our stuff and wait until after 9 to even try and drive into town. We had only one destination for today: the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

IMG_6065.JPG

You know who else had that idea? Every #$*^%! Elementary School and Day Care in the Greater Houston Area. (And by that, I mean everything south of Dallas) As we drove through Hermann Park to the Museum, we drove past dozens and dozens of school busses. There were vast armies of children - all in matching color shirts based on classroom - being marched around the park. To the outdoor theater, to the gardens, and much to our chagrin, the the Museum.

But all was not lost! We pulled into the 3 hour parking right in front of the building (we didn't plan on being there too long.) The groups were still getting assembled, giving us time to sneak past them, get our tickets, and get to the exhibit we wanted before them! Right?

The ticket line was only about 3 people long, but was taking F O R E V E R. Finally, we were able to buy our tickets and get over to the Cockrell Butterfly Center before the roaming hoards! Or so we thought.

It's call the Butterfly center, but it's really a wing of the museum dedicated to insects and small creatures of all kinds. The very first thing we see when we walk in is this guy and several of his pals:

IMG_6068.JPG

He was a Blue Poison Dart Frog. And Madison flipped out. She had been looking forward to the Butterfly exhibit for weeks, and now all of a sudden, she's deathly afraid of all insects & creatures. As parents, we faced a choice. We could 1.) Calmly pull her aside, talk to her about her fears, and reassuringly let her know that all of the creatures are either dead or behind glass. OR 2.) tell her to knock it off and go though the exhibit.

1 didn't work, so we went with 2. However, in that brief moment of time, one class did sneak in ahead of us.

Madison did quickly realize that she indeed wasn't afraid of any of these things and was soon pointing out the hissing cockroaches to Evan.
IMG_6072.JPG

Emperor Scorpion
IMG_6078.JPG

It's an Atlas Beetle. Of course you have to flex while standing in front of it!
IMG_6084.JPG

After learning about the creepy crawlies, we entered the butterfly exhibit. And I put my new camera lens through it's paces.

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6099.JPG

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

In addition to the butterflies, they had a very happy looking Green Iguana. Who just happened to be orange. Whatever.
IMG_6111.JPG

Inside the butterfly habitat:
IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6121.JPG

We were not allowed to touch any of the butterflies. (Their wings are very delicate and touching them will rub off their tiny scales and render them flightless. Then they're nothing more than a small, colorful penguin.) You could hold your hand out and let them land on you, but none of them were as such inclined to do that.

After leaving the butterfly house, we encountered this vending machine.
IMG_6130.JPG

Items included chocolate covered insects, Sour Cream & Onion flavored Crickets (also available: Salt N' Vinegar & Bacon and Cheese) BBQ flavored Larvae and candied ants.

I only had $2 in cash on me, but one of the bills was fairly old and tattered so the machine wouldn't accept it. And I was actually looking forward to the chocolate ants.

By the time we left that wing of the museum, the place was absolutely mobbed with kids. Its a good thing we only planned to see that section.

We still had about an hour before the car would be towed, so we walked around the park a bit to the reflecting pool that we saw from the train and boat rides. And thus, the picture that lead off this TR was taken:
IMG_6139.JPG

Our next stop just across the road at the statue of Sam Houston and the horse he rode in on.
IMG_6144.JPG

And suddenly...they felt a dance coming on!

IMG_6148.JPG

IMG_6149.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG

IMG_6151.JPG

IMG_6152.JPG

IMG_6153.JPG

IMG_6154.JPG

With that rug sufficiently cut, we headed back to the car, under a canopy of Texas Live Oaks.
IMG_6160.JPG

This sort of sums up Texas, don't you think?
IMG_6161.JPG

Unfortunately, after that picture was taken, the camera was put away for the rest of the day. Madison wanted pizza for lunch, so we plugged "pizza" into the GPS. The first place it took us to was a construction area where it appeared that a building has just been torn down. I guess we missed that place by about a month or so. The second place was a scuzzy carryout only place that I wouldn't eat at if my life depended on it. Finally, we found a place called New York Pizzeria. The side of their cups bragged that they were Houston's top pizza place in 2009, so I couldn't be that bad, could it? Actually - it was really, really good. I'm usually more of a fan of thicker, Chicago style pizza, but since the single slice I ordered measured about 14" long, I quickly adapted!

From there we went to our hotel for the night - the Country Inn right across the road from the airport. Our window faced the runway, so we got a great view of the planes landing.
We decided that despite the cloudy, windy weather we would try out their outdoor pool. I stopped at the front desk, and it should have been a clue that something was amiss when I asked for pool towels, and I got a look from the desk clerk like I was the first person to ever ask that question.
We got outside to the pool and, well, it wasn't pretty. The pool was kind of shoehorned in to the side of the property, so it was quite small - maybe 12'x20' or so. Of the 8 or so plastic lawn chairs out in the "courtyard" none of them were structurally sound enough to sit in. The pool was not heated (it actually seemed like it was cooled, but maybe that was just the cloudy weather talking.) There was what appeared to be algae growing in spots. It kind of reminded me of the Hotel Coral Essex from Revenge of the Nerds 2.

Bambi and I sat on the edge and dangled our feet while the kids swam for a bit.

Dinner that night was by recommendation of a sign at the front desk, advertising local restaurants. Pappa's Bar-B-Q. Mmm... slow smoked beefy goodness!

After dinner, we went back to the room, cleaned up the kids and got them ready for bed. We had a 4am wake up to make it to our flight..."home".

I used the hotel's wireless network to stream an episode of PBS's Wild Kratts for the kids while Bambi and I packed and slyly attached the yellow Magical Express tags to our luggage. We got everyone settled down to bed. The kids were bummed that vacation was almost over while us adults exchanged shrewd glances, knowing that instead of flying home, our plane was headed to Orlando. And instead of sleeping in our own beds tomorrow night, we would be at Animal Kingdom Lodge. All we had to do was keep the secret for 12 more hours...

Up Next: The Reveal!

We were not allowed to touch any of the butterflies. (Their wings are very delicate and touching them will rub off their tiny scales and render them flightless. Then they're nothing more than a small, colorful penguin.)

:rotfl:

Ahhh I would have been bursting at the seams to tell about Disney!!! How were you able to keep it a secret? Basically everything would have become the perfect segue (well, in my mind) to blurt it out (going swimming in the pool: "tomorrow you'll be swimming in Disney!"; getting dinner "soon we'll be eating in Disney!"; random interval "look at the clouds here, they have clouds in Disney!!!!!")

(Obviously, I'm skilled at subtlety) :rolleyes1

I hope to heck you aren't going to make us wait until AFTER the holiday for the Big Reveal! :eek:

The butterflies are so very pretty (great job with the new lens). I love Madison and Evan dancing...he's really getting into it!

I love the "smiling" iguana.

We took the much more sane route - let the girls sleep in
Surely Bambi won't have any comments about this.:rolleyes1

You know who else had that idea? Every #$*^%! Elementary School and Day Care in the Greater Houston Area.
D'oh!:headache:

The ticket line was only about 3 people long, but was taking F O R E V E R.
Of course. You were in a hurry. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

Then they're nothing more than a small, colorful penguin.)
:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

Items included chocolate covered insects, Sour Cream & Onion flavored Crickets (also available: Salt N' Vinegar & Bacon and Cheese) BBQ flavored Larvae and candied ants.
Sounds like an episode of Fear Factor.

the statue of Sam Houston and the horse he rode in on.
:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

the single slice I ordered measured about 14" long, I quickly adapted!
Excessive quantity always improves quality. At least when it comes to food!:thumbsup2

Of the 8 or so plastic lawn chairs out in the "courtyard" none of them were structurally sound enough to sit in. The pool was not heated (it actually seemed like it was cooled, but maybe that was just the cloudy weather talking.) There was what appeared to be algae growing in spots. It kind of reminded me of the Hotel Coral Essex from Revenge of the Nerds 2.
Gotta admit, that really surprises me. Usually Country Inns are nicer than that.

The kids were bummed that vacation was almost over while us adults exchanged shrewd glances, knowing that instead of flying home, our plane was headed to Orlando. And instead of sleeping in our own beds tomorrow night, we would be at Animal Kingdom Lodge. All we had to do was keep the secret for 12 more hours...
Really looking forward to the next update! I can't wait to see how Madison and Evan react!:thumbsup2

Great butterfly and dancing pictures.

In addition to the butterflies, they had a very happy looking Green Iguana. Who just happened to be orange. Whatever.
IMG_6111.JPG

Wow, he really seems to like a forehead massage. :eek: That is a look of iguana bliss, right there.

Our next stop just across the road at the statue of Sam Houston and the horse he rode in on.

:lmao:

And suddenly...they felt a dance coming on!

I thought that only happened in musicals. Now I know that it can happen in real life too.

I used the hotel's wireless network to stream an episode of PBS's Wild Kratts for the kids while Bambi and I packed and slyly attached the yellow Magical Express tags to our luggage. We got everyone settled down to bed. The kids were bummed that vacation was almost over while us adults exchanged shrewd glances, knowing that instead of flying home, our plane was headed to Orlando. And instead of sleeping in our own beds tomorrow night, we would be at Animal Kingdom Lodge. All we had to do was keep the secret for 12 more hours...

You and Bambi are so sneaky. :tiptoe: This oughtta be good! popcorn::

I loved the kids spontaneously dancing! That's just great!

And I'm so excited for the big reveal. I'm all anxious & giddy over here to see how they react! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! :goodvibes

Great updates about Houston but I can't wait for the reveal...

Finally caught up just in time for the reveal. Love the report despite no cheese balls. The best part of course is Bambi's responses to your missives. That and the pictures she took.

Ahhh I would have been bursting at the seams to tell about Disney!!! How were you able to keep it a secret? Basically everything would have become the perfect segue (well, in my mind) to blurt it out (going swimming in the pool: "tomorrow you'll be swimming in Disney!"; getting dinner "soon we'll be eating in Disney!"; random interval "look at the clouds here, they have clouds in Disney!!!!!")

(Obviously, I'm skilled at subtlety) :rolleyes1
My Aunt almost let it slip that evening at the Red Snapper Inn. I don't recall exactly what she said, but she immediately knew it. Luckily, neither kid was paying attention. But for Bambi and I, we'd been holding the secret for months. Neither one of us would let the other live it down if we were the one to blow it.

I hope to heck you aren't going to make us wait until AFTER the holiday for the Big Reveal! :eek:
:confused3:confused3:rolleyes1
The butterflies are so very pretty (great job with the new lens). I love Madison and Evan dancing...he's really getting into it!
He spent about 4 years in Madison's shadow, but he's really coming into his own personality :goodvibes
I love the "smiling" iguana.
That was one happy lizard.

Surely Bambi won't have any comments about this.:rolleyes1
She might. And don't call me Shirley.

Of course. You were in a hurry. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?
:mad:

Sounds like an episode of Fear Factor.
You probably didn't see the pictures if you were at work, but the hissing cockroaches cage had a Fear Factor logo in it. :thumbsup2

Excessive quantity always improves quality. At least when it comes to food!:thumbsup2
Try that with Beverly this fall. Let me know how it goes for you.
puke.gif

Gotta admit, that really surprises me. Usually Country Inns are nicer than that.
I know - we stay at them all the time. There were a few other minor maintenance issues in the room, so I gladly filled out the survey they sent me. Within a day I was contacted by a manager apologizing.

Wow, he really seems to like a forehead massage. :eek: That is a look of iguana bliss, right there.
Who doesn't? :confused3
I thought that only happened in musicals. Now I know that it can happen in real life too.
Yeah, we were waiting for all of the other random people in the park to join in a highly choreographed yet spontaneous backup dance. But they never did. :(

You and Bambi are so sneaky. :tiptoe: This oughtta be good! popcorn::
:thumbsup2

I loved the kids spontaneously dancing! That's just great!

And I'm so excited for the big reveal. I'm all anxious & giddy over here to see how they react! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! :goodvibes
They were really getting into it!
I'll see if I can get one up this weekend...:rolleyes1

I'm dying for the reveal!!
Clearly, I've built this up pretty big. I hope I can do it justice. I'd for you all to come an lynch me. :eek:
Great updates about Houston but I can't wait for the reveal...
Thanks. I wasn't sure how many people would want to sit through 5 days worth of Houston updates on a Disney forum. Thanks for reading along, and your patience will be rewarded soon!

Finally caught up just in time for the reveal. Love the report despite no cheese balls. The best part of course is Bambi's responses to your missives. That and the pictures she took.
You made it just in time for the good parts. Or at least the tolerable parts.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how many people would want to sit through 5 days worth of Houston updates on a Disney forum. Thanks for reading along, and your patience will be rewarded soon!

I think it was nice to see a different par tof the U.S. in pics.

great update barry!!:lmao: thats no beatle, thats a big cockroach!!!:lmao: i love the iguana. :lmao: you have to be carefull of those (*&*((**& elementry schools! you dont realize how well disney runs and moves people till you go somewere else. at wdw, you see a long line and its gone in a few min. go to a park or museum and there are three people in line and its a 2 hour wait.:lmao:

Great update, Great cliffhanger!
Thanks!
Houston - check.

Now get to Disney already! :laughing:
Soon, I promise!
I think it was nice to see a different par tof the U.S. in pics.
:thumbsup2

If in doubt let the girls sleep.
::yes:: ::yes::

great update barry!!:lmao: thats no beatle, thats a big cockroach!!!:lmao: i love the iguana. :lmao: you have to be carefull of those (*&*((**& elementry schools! you dont realize how well disney runs and moves people till you go somewere else. at wdw, you see a long line and its gone in a few min. go to a park or museum and there are three people in line and its a 2 hour wait.:lmao:
Very true, Dave. I was looking for the FastPass line at the museum, but couldn't find it. :confused3:rotfl2:

You probably didn't see the pictures if you were at work, but the hissing cockroaches cage had a Fear Factor logo in it. :thumbsup2
Actually, for some reason, I can see yours at work. Apparently it depends on where they're hosted.:confused3 I missed the detail of the Fear Factor logo though.:lmao::rotfl2:

Try that with Beverly this fall. Let me know how it goes for you.
That's a beverage. A different set of rules apply. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter