Hotel Activities if Hurricane Hits?

seasonality

Mouseketeer
Our family flies into Orlando this Sunday, and there is a storm projected to hit south and central Florida over the weekend. I know we are days out and all the models are not 100%, but if it does evolve into a hurricane hitting Central Florida and park touring is not an option, do they take the poolside activities indoors? We are staying at Pop Century.

Also, any tips for "in the room fun" for families? I'm thinking I should add playing cards to the packing list and I could always download that app that is like the headbands game...can't think of the name, but you hold your phone on your forehead facing others and a word pops onto the screen that you have to try to guess. Anyone been in the same boat and have suggestions? We are flying so have limited luggage space for board games.

We are a family of 8: Mom, husband/myself, son 12, daughter 10, nieces 9, 7, and 6.

Thanks!

The game is "heads up".

From what I've read it's really unlikely for a hurricane to hit Orlando. And WDW is so good in storms that it's the hurricane plan for many floridians, my cousin and aunt included.

The game is "heads up".

From what I've read it's really unlikely for a hurricane to hit Orlando. And WDW is so good in storms that it's the hurricane plan for many floridians, my cousin and aunt included.
Heads up, yes thank you!!!

Thanks also for the reassurance. We're not too worked up even if it does happen. Would be preferable for it not to impact our plans, but we are pretty low-key people and will go with the flow if it does.

We were at Disney in June when Tropical Storm Earl (I think) came through. We just keep an eye on the weather and were able to move some things around. Thankfully it hit mid afternoon so we went to EPCOT in the morning and then switched our restaurant to our hotel. I did hear that they had character in the lobby but I didn't hear that until after we were home. This was our 3rd day so we were ready a rest afternoon.

They'll do their best to make things enjoyable. Though most of the resorts will be limited in what they can offer, the value ones particularly since there are exterior hallways. But there may be character meet and greets at all resorts in the main lobbies before things get bad.

Also,
Magic kingdom floods. Like a lot. So expect your socks to get week in tomorrowland and at the main street station.

Hi,

I remember Hurricane Charley in 2004... That was a powerful storm. This was at AKL. It did not affect my day at all, primarily because it hit in the evening. Depending on the resort, not sure if PC does this, they have character meet n' greets inside the lobby. I would suggest the deck of cards, Heads Up and possibly some movies to watch. Make sure, if needed, to order a pizza or bring some food for the room. That's only if you are asked to remain in your room for safety. Your trip won't be "ruined" either way. It'll be fun!

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Which hotel are you at? If it is one with exterior hallways they will most likely ask that you stay in your room. That means during the few hours of the actual storm there won't be much Disney will be able to offer. So if you are at a hotel with exterior hallways I would download some apps like Monopoly, Life, Heads Up, etc and bring a deck of cards.

If it does look like it is going to hit central Florida I would buy a few snacks and food to keep in the room. You can just buy that when you get there though. If you want to bring it along the chicken or tuna salad snack packs are a good thing as well as things like pop tarts or things you could eat with out needing to heat or cook it. I would also get water. That is worst case plan though so I wouldn't worry about all of that until after you get to Orlando because you probably won't need any of it.

We have been there during a hurricane. I think it was Charly. We were staying poly club level during it. All the parks were closed and the restaurants all closed early. We had lunch and were told to go to our rooms and stay there. I did manage to get some snacks for the room but even club level services were shut down for the day. Disney had movies on the tv. If it is a hurricane there will be no "activities" of any kind. They don't want people walking around. I remember watching out the window at the wind and rain. It was pretty bad. The next day there was an errie feeling all around. We were also there during a tropical storm. Yes we go very often so the chances are we are there during some kind of bad weather once in awhile! This was not as intense and there were activities around the resort. The more you travel the more bad weather, bad rooms, bad food etc etc you will encounter. Just make the best of it and enjoy being with your family.

Which hotel are you at? If it is one with exterior hallways they will most likely ask that you stay in your room. That means during the few hours of the actual storm there won't be much Disney will be able to offer. So if you are at a hotel with exterior hallways I would download some apps like Monopoly, Life, Heads Up, etc and bring a deck of cards.

If it does look like it is going to hit central Florida I would buy a few snacks and food to keep in the room. You can just buy that when you get there though. If you want to bring it along the chicken or tuna salad snack packs are a good thing as well as things like pop tarts or things you could eat with out needing to heat or cook it. I would also get water. That is worst case plan though so I wouldn't worry about all of that until after you get to Orlando because you probably won't need any of it.

They are staying at POP Century. So ^THIS OP.

You will not be "allowed" to leave your room during active storming since you have no interior hallways. Since you have girls why not just pack nail polish, facial masks and some other small items so if need be you can do a "spa" day in your room.

At deluxe resorts you are able to move about due to interior hallways, and there will be some activities.

That said have a friend who lived many years in S. FL. When the hurricanes were coming, she booked at Disney and drove up there. They take excellent care of their guests. One bad storm had made a mess by pool and landscaping. By time she woke up in the morning it was all picked up.

We get there Friday, I've been watching TWC nonstop. Fingers crossed it doesn't become a major storm and stays away from Orlando. We are prepared for lots of rain either way!

We get there Friday, I've been watching TWC nonstop. Fingers crossed it doesn't become a major storm and stays away from Orlando. We are prepared for lots of rain either way!

I'm heading in Monday ..... fingers crossed for some big right turn. :D

They are staying at POP Century. So ^THIS OP.

You will not be "allowed" to leave your room during active storming since you have no interior hallways. Since you have girls why not just pack nail polish, facial masks and some other small items so if need be you can do a "spa" day in your room.

At deluxe resorts you are able to move about due to interior hallways, and there will be some activities.

That said have a friend who lived many years in S. FL. When the hurricanes were coming, she booked at Disney and drove up there. They take excellent care of their guests. One bad storm had made a mess by pool and landscaping. By time she woke up in the morning it was all picked up.

That sounds like a fantastic idea Hopper! I never would have thought to tell someone to throw some nail polish and face masks in the bag but a Spa day would be relaxing for everyone.

That sounds like a fantastic idea Hopper! I never would have thought to tell someone to throw some nail polish and face masks in the bag but a Spa day would be relaxing for everyone.

In ziplocs of course :D And I figure a 12 year old boy would be fine with his phone/game boy stuff.

If you are staying at Pop Century, there is a direct hit by a hurricane, and you are asked to stay in your rooms (the last time this happened was in 2005), there will be no resort activities. Pop Century does not have indoor facilities that guests can get to without leaving their rooms. Maybe bring along some games (maybe card games, easier to pack) or art supplies or other items as distractions. If the power doesn't go out, there will be TV to watch.

Maybe also bring a power bank so you can keep phones charged in case of a power outage.

We were at ASMo for Jeanne in 2004. They left messages on the room phone from time to time with updates, and we were asked to stay in our room until the storm had passed. They had Disney movies playing on a channel on the tv, we brought card games and napped quite a bit--our kids were 3 and 1. Make sure to bring some snacks and things if you expect to be stuck in your room. The power will not go out, and you will not lose water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter