Hotel Activities if Hurricane Hits?

This is the one I saw this morning, where majority are showing it going south and missing most of Central FL. I can't find it now but there was one that included rainfall amounts. Orlando was in the 1" range. Miami in the 10+" range. I would assume the rainfall amounts were based on an avg of the below projections. Since we arrive on Saturday and leave on Wednesday I'm watching closely. Sadly, the bad news is if the storm misses Orlando it likely means more rain for Louisiana.
map_specnewsdct-24_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg
I'm watching WC now & just saw their projected path. Unsurprisingly, our local (South Florida) weather was showing a different projected path this morning. It appears meteorology is the only job in the world where you can be wrong on a consistent basis & keep your job. Accuracy doesn't appear to be a job requirement for any of them. It's really frustrating for those who could be affected

You are far more likely to experience the edges or remains of a tropical storm than a full on hurricane. We were in Orlando in either 2006 when there was a tropical storm that hit the area. It actually didn't change our plans at all...the parks remained open even though it was fairly windy and it rained really hard. We were staying offsite, and on one of the days we were at Universal in the rain and stuck it out for most of the day until the kids were miserable, and at that point we went to watch Cars at the movie theater in Citywalk. The next day, it was raining just as hard, and we spent the day at Epcot sloshing around in the ankle deep water in lots of spots. I remember that we were soaked and we all went into a gift shop and bought flip flops because our shoes were so wet.

The bottom line I think is that if you are there, Disney will work to make sure you are safe, and you can still have a lot of fun (it would be the 'remember that time....' that your family will talk about for years to come!) The biggest issue would be getting there or getting home if your travel day falls during the peak of the storm and the airlines divert planes and cancel flights.

We had planned about renting a cabana at the Blizzard Beach on next Saturday... We're still not sure about what to do! I believe the water parks won't open if there is any risk of storms or anything, and that we'll have a refund at this point, so that if we go and parks is open, we'll enjoy our day?

I'm watching WC now & just saw their projected path. Unsurprisingly, our local (South Florida) weather was showing a different projected path this morning. It appears meteorology is the only job in the world where you can be wrong on a consistent basis & keep your job. Accuracy doesn't appear to be a job requirement for any of them. It's really frustrating for those who could be affected
Well, in their defense predicting the weather, something controlled by things not fully understood, is akin to nailing jello to a wall. Dang near impossible. Stupid Mother Nature, always screwing around and being unpredictable.

There's no possible way they can predict anything accurate about this system at this time, at least regarding Florida, and definitely not Central Florida. It's not even cooperating as far as forming into a tropical storm. Unless something wild happens to it over the weekend, it won't produce anything worse than some rain and a bit of wind.

At this point, the storm isn't a named storm and only has a 40% chance of developing in to a cyclone in the next 48 hours. Worst thing would be for it to drop even more rain on South Louisiana, just as they are starting to dry out a bit. But they did have heavy rain again today in Baton Rouge.

Even if this storm does drop some rain on Orlando (and they really need the rain at this point), it can't be any worse than our first trip in 1997 when the El Nino dropped so much rain we couldn't get dry at all. Every pair of shoes we owned were soaked. But we still had fun.

Of course all the speculation is too early but I imagine if a family who is not use to hurricanes, tropical storms, or tropical depressions hears one might make landfall in central Florida they are going to be a little freaked out. Most of us were very clear that it is way to early to know but if they were indeed worried but told them things that would be easy just in case and things to get while they were in Orlando if the 3 day forecast was showing likely landfall of a system in central FL. That way goodness forbid they need the information they aren't finding out about it in panic mode but rather can think back to this thread and see what they should plan for and what they may want to go out and get.

Well, in their defense predicting the weather, something controlled by things not fully understood, is akin to nailing jello to a wall. Dang near impossible. Stupid Mother Nature, always screwing around and being unpredictable.
I agree with you, when a storm is a long way off. You would think TWC & our local news could come up with the same potential tracks using the same models though. They can never be trusted more than 2 days out. More likely 24 hrs in advance. When you're in the business of predicting weather, you should have a better handle on it. I realize they're dealing with Mother Nature, but years of experience & the resources they have should make it more than a guess, until it's right on top of you. It appears they predict our weather by going outside to see what's happening. :rotfl: They're never on the money, until the last second.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter