• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Horse Owners: A place for us on the Dis

She's beautiful Danielle, I love seeing other horses..what is she ? Not all of us know

Ruthie

Ooh Oooh!! I know...A Norwegian Fjord (though it COULD be a Haflinger, but I suspect by the cut of the mane, that it's a Fjord even though I can't see the black stripe). And a cutie pie!

Ok you guys are making me miss my ponies! Both have been gone for several years (I lost both to colic about 3 years apart) I found pictures of my gelding but I'll have to scrounge around for pics of my mare...

here is Apache

Apacheportrait.jpg

Apache.jpg

Ok you guys are making me miss my ponies! Both have been gone for several years (I lost both to colic about 3 years apart) I found pictures of my gelding but I'll have to scrounge around for pics of my mare...

here is Apache

Apacheportrait.jpg

Apache.jpg

What a handsome boy! And now you must share with the group your secrets to keeping him that fabulously white. :worship:

What a handsome boy! And now you must share with the group your secrets to keeping him that fabulously white. :worship:

Oh man did he love to get wet and roll in the mud! Actually used some shampoo specifically for white or grey horses. That and sometimes corn starch can be used as a quick cover up for manure stains. We spent lots of time on the wash rack! You can see how thin his hair was on his face - he would sun burn so bad that I usually kept him in the stall during the day and turned him out at night. That seemed to help.

And your turnout is so crisp and classic...George Morris would be proud. That is a look that would win in any hunter ring today.

here is Apache

Apacheportrait.jpg

Apache.jpg

He was stunning! How long did you have him? Looks like the bottom picture could have been on a magazine cover..so sorry...look forward to seeing the mare you had too :hug:

He was stunning! How long did you have him? Looks like the bottom picture could have been on a magazine cover..so sorry...look forward to seeing the mare you had too :hug:

Well I'm going to date myself... my dad (who knew nothing about horses) bought him for me when I was 12 and he was a green broke 2 year old in 1978. I showed him for many years in Pony Club and open shows. He was a handful at times but was just great with my oldest DS when he was little. The full body picture was taken when I was a senior in high school - 1984, and the head shot was taken in 1987. Sadly we lost him at age 25 from a twisted gut. He actually died when I was away on a business trip. After 23 years of being a part of the family, it was a sad, sad, day.

I can't even imagine..I mean I have lost dogs and cats over the years but to have someone as part of your family for all that time....just don't know what to say

Hi guys! I am out of town right now...actually, I am in O-town! It is a non Disney trip, I am visiting relatives for 2 nights.

I just wanted to weigh in on the blanket issue. It is SO HOT in SoFla, even most days in the winter. So...we body clip our horses. Then, when it is under 55 degrees, we blanket. Especially minis...they grow SUCH a thick coat, they must be clipped.

I will post more pics of my babies when i get home! Love the thread and really enjoying the pictures!

Ooh Oooh!! I know...A Norwegian Fjord (though it COULD be a Haflinger, but I suspect by the cut of the mane, that it's a Fjord even though I can't see the black stripe). And a cutie pie!

yup she is a Norwegian Fjord. She is a red dun so she doesnt have the black stripe like most of the Fjords have. Her mane has red but its not in the stripe which is why you cannot see it....

Here are some pics of my mare. I got a little carried away - couldn't find any really good pictures so quantity over quality... :goodvibes

My Dad bought her for my Mom from a horse auction - she was over 300 pounds under weight when we got her. We started out riding her western but I did dressage and she made a pretty good Training/First Level horse until she developed some arthritis in her early 20's...

My DH was part of a mounted Sheriff's posse and used her for a couple of years for that (although they hated each other and he couldn't wait to find another horse to use!)

tony.jpg

tony3001.jpg

tony2001.jpg

tony2.jpg

I am pretty much anti blanket, but with the cold wet windy winter we had, I felt better blanketing them. I'm pretty sure they felt better too. They were warm and dry under their blankets, but not too hot.

Here is a happy warm Ivan in the snow....

12feb49.jpg

And here's a happy warm Ivan in his blanket!!! I put Skippy's blanket on a few minutes after that because the poor guy was shivering!!

24dec12.jpg

okay here's ignorance on my part I had NO idea you got that kind of weather in TX ! BRRrrrrrrrrrrr

Love these guys :love:

Here are some old pictures.:)
I need to update.

The horse on the left is Chan'De (35), right is Sheba (9). I know Chan looks thin but believe me he is healthy. And ornery! He bosses everybody around even blind. I have had Chan for 30 years now.
DSC00964.jpg

Pahsu before she died.
DSC00135.jpg

Sheba getting out of the rain.
DSC00132.jpg

One of my fathers artworks, he was an artist.:love: He died 20 years ago and did many, many horses.
110.jpg

I am pretty much anti blanket, but with the cold wet windy winter we had, I felt better blanketing them. I'm pretty sure they felt better too. They were warm and dry under their blankets, but not too hot.

Here is a happy warm Ivan in the snow....

12feb49.jpg

And here's a happy warm Ivan in his blanket!!! I put Skippy's blanket on a few minutes after that because the poor guy was shivering!!

24dec12.jpg

Love it. And it looks cold!:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter