• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Horse Owners: A place for us on the Dis

oo we do that!
they seem to like it, even.
: )

Love the Coth.. they other board I visit is Equinesite.com its mainly for New England Horse Owners but has alot of great information

There is http://forum.nchorsenews.com/ I used to go there a lot when I lived in NC, and still do sometimes because I know many of them personally. It's not as active as it was in the past, but you can find some good information there and it's not as snarky as Coth. I like reading Coth, but I don't post there.

Sorry to hijack the thread , but since it appears there are several horse experts on the DIS boards:flower3: do you guys have any advice about keeping ticks off of horses? We have a lot of deer, foxes, and other misc. wild critters that enjoy romping in our pasture and they are kind enough to share their ticks with our horse (this summer has been worse than I have ever seen!)

Dh has been using a fly spray on him nightly (the label says it works for ticks also, but I haven't been overly impressed). Other than spending hours every day trying to pick those suckers off :rotfl2: is there a better product out there for ticks?

Thanks!!

you're not hijacking the thread, I don't have that problem so hopefully someone here will answer...seriously thinking the horse people on Dis would be a good thing....thinking about it

Ruthie-I think you should start a horse thread! I know I would post on it regularly...even if it is just to share pictures of my little dudes. I hosed Boo down yesterday and let him out, knowing he would roll...but had no idea he would go straight for the one patch of dirt in paddock. He looked SO FUNNY and I wanted to take a picture but then I though, "Nah, no one will get as big of a kick out of this as I do."

I have not owned a horse in 20 years, so I am a little rusty on my horse knowledge...plus things have also changed since I first owned a horse. I am glad to know about other horse forums, but I am comfy here on the DIS.

Think of something clever to call it. Like "Giddy Up-The all about horses thread". I am not suggesting that name...I just mean something cute!

Ok, here we can tie horses and Disney together. What kind of horse is the horse in the MNSSHP parade? I am guessing it is a Fresian. Here is my very own video of the horse!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VIWdO7K8c

I have a 25 year old retired show horse mare, and she only goes out for about 3-4 hours in the mornings on really hot days, and then gets to spend the rest of the day in her stall.. with windows and a fan. And automatic waterers (*sigh!*)
But last week the heat index was 104, and I went out and sponged her off with some tepid water and vetrolin (it's my favorite liniment because it cuts through the salt and is easy on their skin)

We cut back a little on the grain when it's miserably hot, but give extra hay. Don't want any colic!

Part of the key to keeping the tick population down is to keep your pastures properly mowed and to trim low hanging branches from the trees.

If you are using a fly repellent spray, make sure you choose an OIL based one, otherwise the less expensive water based ones will wash off in the rain or if your horse sweats.

I Still recommend using a fly sheet if your horse lives out 24/7. Many are imbued with fly/tick repellent, and the lighter color helps keep them at bay.

Wildernesslodgelover: Horses will generally roll in a sandy or dirty/muddy spot. In fact, the name for those patches in a pasture where the horses always roll and the grass has been eroded away leaving just dirt behind, is a "lounge".

The headless horseman's horse is a Friesian. The horse is trained to go from point A (where the parade starts) to point B (backstage at the end of the parade). The rider is sitting there, not really steering. While he can see out of his costume, his vision is so limited that they decided it'd be best to just train the horse where to go.

On our honeymoon in 2005, DH and I were picked to be Grand Marshall's in the MNSSHP parade. I as stoked, but also disappointed since I'd miss the horseman riding down the street. I explained this to the CM driving the car we were in in the front of the parade (we were still backstage behind Splash) and she just said "Mm hmm..." and nodded behind my shoulder. I turned around and the dang horse was breathing down my neck!! He's a BIG guy. Then the horseman kicked and the horse took off down the street...with one poor CM and a pooper scooper jogging behind him!

Part of the key to keeping the tick population down is to keep your pastures properly mowed and to trim low hanging branches from the trees.

If you are using a fly repellent spray, make sure you choose an OIL based one, otherwise the less expensive water based ones will wash off in the rain or if your horse sweats.

I Still recommend using a fly sheet if your horse lives out 24/7. Many are imbued with fly/tick repellent, and the lighter color helps keep them at bay.

Wildernesslodgelover: Horses will generally roll in a sandy or dirty/muddy spot. In fact, the name for those patches in a pasture where the horses always roll and the grass has been eroded away leaving just dirt behind, is a "lounge".

The headless horseman's horse is a Friesian. The horse is trained to go from point A (where the parade starts) to point B (backstage at the end of the parade). The rider is sitting there, not really steering. While he can see out of his costume, his vision is so limited that they decided it'd be best to just train the horse where to go.

On our honeymoon in 2005, DH and I were picked to be Grand Marshall's in the MNSSHP parade. I as stoked, but also disappointed since I'd miss the horseman riding down the street. I explained this to the CM driving the car we were in in the front of the parade (we were still backstage behind Splash) and she just said "Mm hmm..." and nodded behind my shoulder. I turned around and the dang horse was breathing down my neck!! He's a BIG guy. Then the horseman kicked and the horse took off down the street...with one poor CM and a pooper scooper jogging behind him!

Ohhhh, that is so cool you got to be the grand marshall in that parade! I am so envious! Yes, that horseman is our family's favorite part of the entire parade. He must be super duper "bombproof!"

Cute about "the lounge!" I thought it was odd, because usually he rolls in his stall...I find shavings stuck to him. Bruno is the one I always see in the dirt, not Boo. I guess Bruno's bad habits are rubbing off on him, LOL.

Ohhhh, that is so cool you got to be the grand marshall in that parade! I am so envious! Yes, that horseman is our family's favorite part of the entire parade. He must be super duper "bombproof!"

Cute about "the lounge!" I thought it was odd, because usually he rolls in his stall...I find shavings stuck to him. Bruno is the one I always see in the dirt, not Boo. I guess Bruno's bad habits are rubbing off on him, LOL.

I think the name you settled on for the second little guy is ADORABLE!

I was like a 5 year old on Christmas when the CM asked us to be the Grand Marshalls. In fact, a DISser saw my thread talking about it after we got back and had a picture of us in the lead car from their own vacation photos! She posted it and sent me a copy. How cool right?

On the horse front I am currently nursing a messed up hoof back-to-health. My big Appendix threw a shoe and tore off a good portion of his hoof with it. Farrier trimmed it all up but the hoof is so bruised that we can't put a shoe back on yet and the horse is LAME. I've got a padded old-mac boot on him in the meantime, and have been slathering sole paint on every day to toughen his feet up.

Then one of my other horses managed to score himself a puncture wound to the right elbow. Vet came and cleaned it all out and he's on SMZ 10 pills/ twice a day for 5 days...yuck!

When you have 26 horses, someone is ALWAYS on the disabled list. I feel like I should have the vet just move in with us!

I sent an email to the Dis Moderator Team: keeping fingers crossed :)

Hi there I had started a thread to ask fellow Dissers that own horses a question. I had done the same thing last year. Well one thing led to another and an idea seems to be brewing to take off. Is it possible to get a forum for us that own & love horses that are here on the Disboards? We all have other sites re-horses, their care, place to ask & answer questions, post pictures of our babies but our true common denominator is our love of Disney of course. I mean Walt Disney himself loved and shared his life with a few of these noble animals himself. Is it possible? There are other forums for lifestyle groups and this is our lifestyle. If the answer is no, could you at least help me. I don't know how to edit the thread to read the new intention, thanks so much,
Ruthie Luvchefmic

This has been on my refrigerator for so many years (in too many houses) that its now faded...not pushing my religious beliefs just thought I'd share as it always gives me a lump in my throat (and is my serious motivation to go out and muck when it feels like 1,000 degrees out there :rotfl:)

Dearest Creator in Heaven

Give me strength to guide my horse
Make my hands soft and my head clear
Let my horse understand me and I him
My heart you have blessed with a special love of these animals
Let me never lose sight of it
My soul you have gifted with a deep need for them
Let that need never lessen
Always let my breath catch as the sun gleams on an elegant head
Always may my throat tighten at the sound of a gentle nicker
Let the scent of fresh hay and a new bag of grain be sweet to me
Let the touch of a warm nose on my hand always bring a smile
The grace and splendor of a running horse
The thunder of its hooves makes my eyes burn and my heart soar
Let it always be so
Dearest Creator grant me patience, for horses are harnessed wind, and wind
can be flighty
Let me not frighten or harm them
Instead show me ways to understand them
Above all, Dear Creator, fill my life with them
When I pass from this world, send my soul to no heaven without them, for this love you have given me graes my existence and I shall cherish it and Praise you for it for all time

--Author Unknown

I love reading about all your horses...as a horse crazy girl..I am living through all of you...

I love reading about all your horses...as a horse crazy girl..I am living through all of you...

I've been a horse crazy girl all my life from the rocking horse, to the horse with a stick body that I HAD to have because it was on Romper Room ( Oh so dating myself now! ) Maxine is the only horse that I have ever had & she joined our family when she was 2, she's now 5 I have so much to learn...you live really close..I have an extra muck rake ;)

Ruthie

I'm horse crazy too. I truly believe horses are God's apology for men.:laughing:

I've been a horse crazy girl all my life from the rocking horse, to the horse with a stick body that I HAD to have because it was on Romper Room ( Oh so dating myself now! ) Maxine is the only horse that I have ever had & she joined our family when she was 2, she's now 5 I have so much to learn...you live really close..I have an extra muck rake ;)

Ruthie

LOL, dont tempt me...just the chance to be around them..LOL..

Here's my 25 year old mare (used to be a 5 gaited show horse!)
2329812040053114520S200x200Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And my former show horse (now showing on the KY circuit with a 13 yr old!)
2269012850053114520S200x200Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My particular favorite horse phrase: "To make a small fortune in the horse business, start with a large one."

Sometimes I wonder about God's sense of humor. He took a 1200lb animal and stuck it on 4 spindly little tooth-pick legs! It sure is purty though ain't it?

On the plus side, I've got several students in contention for year end awards at the show series we attend. On the minus side, I promised any of them who WON a high point year end award that I would buy them a saddle! Every time we come home from a show, DH nervously asks "Did anybody win today?" Next show is mid-August...pray for less heat!

We are having record heat waves here in New Orleans, Louisiana.

So for my horses I put out the sprinklers for them to enjoy!:laughing:
And they love it!!!

074.jpg

173.jpg

(These pictures were taken last year during another heat wave.
My sweet Appaloosa mare Pahsu is in them. Sadly I lost my sweet girl in April. She loved the sprinklers.:cloud9:)

Been trying to catch up with reading the posts, which is a great thing! Now if the horse people that are lurking in "the Disboard Barn" (based on the number of views the thread has gotten) will come on in, sit down on a bale of hay, and join us we will definitely have something here :)
I'll put the coffee on !

so..
Poppinsme

I remember when you lost Pahsu so sorry :hug: the pictures are great they look like they love those sprinklers

Jennasis

26 horses! Sorry about the latest injury, hope you don't go into shock if you end up buying a bunch of winning saddles (but think of the bragging rights!)

Wildernesslodgelover

Oh for goodness sake, I thought we recently "met" and then were talking about going to Chef Mickeys together and then when I read your horses names it came to me. I remember seeing the thread when you got Bruno and we voted on the name. Love it! You need to post the pictures of them here in case anyone missed them...so cute!

MichelleVW

I love that I've seen pictures of Ivan (Maxine's long distance boyfriend we call him :rotfl:) and Skippy hope you share them here too

Dax Poinciana is very close to Polk City...you won't be able to resist once I post Maxines picture too...just sayin' ;)

Dee & Greg

Beautiful !
That's all I can remember right now....really need coffee myself

Ruthie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter