• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Horse Owners: A place for us on the Dis

OHHH Polk City...Yeah you are close...I am looking for a rental out there

OHHH Polk City...Yeah you are close...I am looking for a rental out there

Are you serious ?????????? I am sending you a PM and here's some temptation for you

Maxine

Dec52007019.jpg

Are you serious ?????????? I am sending you a PM and here's some temptation for you

Maxine

Dec52007019.jpg

OH MY...She is a doll...I may have to get me some mucking clothes and a big bag of apples and pay you a visit!

Maxine

Dec52007019.jpg

You live in Florida right? 30 minutes from Disney? Just wondering why you blanket your horse? I assume, based on the length of his hair and the status of the trees in the background that it's winter in this photo. I can't imagine it gets cold enough anywhere in Florida that would necessitate a horse being blanketed (or sheeted...it actually looks like a sheet).

This is my girl. It's not the most flattering picture. She's really very pretty. She's curvy like a girl should be. :goodvibes I'll have to get out and take some more of her. She's a sweetheart. I never wanted a mare, but she has changed my mind about that.

161.jpg

Yes to the location...older picture..that was up in NY but last winter we had freezing weather and when we moved I had considered giving her coat away, well we had 20's here and was glad I had it

Really should have posted a current picture

I'm horse crazy too. I truly believe horses are God's apology for men.:laughing:

I love this!!

Horse crazy from my earliest memories. My greatest teacher growing up was a 17 hand Saddlebred mare. Today I have three - one is my avatar. Blue is SO hard to get a picture of.. just way too curious!! :goodvibes

This is my girl. It's not the most flattering picture. She's really very pretty. She's curvy like a girl should be. :goodvibes I'll have to get out and take some more of her. She's a sweetheart. I never wanted a mare, but she has changed my mind about that.

161.jpg

Very pretty whats her name? I am the first to admit I am very new at all things horse but I do remember that when people in NY found out Maxine would be joining our family it was like "A MARE??!!" I debunk that too..does she get a "little"...you know at certain times? I would say yes but then I was no prize to be around then either ;) if anything I understand her more and you know what they say " Mares are from Venus Stallions are from Mars" I almost fell over the first time I saw that sign!

Go take more pictures

Hi everyone. I would love a horse thread. Some of the posts brought back memories. I had a whole stable of stick horses when I was a child. All different colors and sizes. Also had a bunch of the small plastic cowboy and horse toys. I spent hours playing with them.

I rode when I was a kid but then didn't ride for 30 years. Went back to it when my kids grew up.
I don't own a horse yet but plan to either own or lease when I have more time.
Most of the school horses I ride are throughbreds but my instructor said to consider an appendix gelding. I know that someone mentioned an appendix. Can you tell me something about their temperment?

I used to book a lesson at the Grand Cypress Equestrian Center before it closed. Now there's nowhere close to WDW to ride except for the Ft. Wilderness trail ride-beautiful but not an exciting ride.

Sorry for rambling but I don't have anyone to talk about horses with!!!

Hi everyone. I would love a horse thread. Some of the posts brought back memories. I had a whole stable of stick horses when I was a child. All different colors and sizes. Also had a bunch of the small plastic cowboy and horse toys. I spent hours playing with them.

I rode when I was a kid but then didn't ride for 30 years. Went back to it when my kids grew up.
Most of the school horses I ride are throughbreds but my instructor said to consider an appendix gelding. I know that someone mentioned an appendix. Can you tell me something about their temperment?

I used to book a lesson at the Grand Cypress Equestrian Center before it closed. Now there's nowhere close to WDW to ride except for the Ft. Wilderness trail ride-beautiful but not an exciting ride.

It's nice to hear from someone that has gotten back into riding after a bit. I needto ride again but am having a hard time finding a place. I took lessons last year for a while, but didn't really like the vibe at that barn. I was always one of the 'barn rat' kids growing up and never had a shortage of horses to ride (sometimes 4 a day!) but I've fallen out of touch with all the folks I knew from those days.
How did you find the place you are taking lessons at now?

I can see myself owning in a few years, but certainly not until I can at least find somewhere to ride!

Sorry to not answer your question, but ask one of my own! I hope you find the right horse when it's time!

Hi. I actually started out by trying a few different places. Since I live in NYC, there aren't many places near me so I had to go east on Long Island. The first place I went to was fine for awhile but I realized that they catered to little kids and didn't always give any thought to matching up the rider with an appropriate horse. I had a bad fall there.
The second place I tried was nice and the horse I rode there was great for a beginner or returning rider. But I didn't like the instructor, She spend most of her time on her cell phone not paying attention.
Finally found the place where I ride now. Have great instructor and have ridden really nice horses.
I think you just have to keep trying until you find the right fit for you.

Hi. I actually started out by trying a few different places. Since I live in NYC, there aren't many places near me so I had to go east on Long Island. The first place I went to was fine for awhile but I realized that they catered to little kids and didn't always give any thought to matching up the rider with an appropriate horse. I had a bad fall there.
The second place I tried was nice and the horse I rode there was great for a beginner or returning rider. But I didn't like the instructor, She spend most of her time on her cell phone not paying attention.
Finally found the place where I ride now. Have great instructor and have ridden really nice horses.

Well if you ever are looking for a different one on Long Island, try Knolls Farm in Brentwood :thumbsup2 If you were to take the LIRR the stop is right there across the street. I don't have the direct link but they do have a web site lovely family that owns it in fact I volunteered there for awhile to learn more..unless thats the one you had a bad experience with ..then disregard me...

I'm the one with the Appendix. To put it bluntly, he's a BUTT. However, he is super ridiculously talented. Drop dead gorgeous. But a total monkey's patoot. He has a personality, but it takes a very specific rider to deal with his shenanigans.

An Appendix is simply a Quarter horse with Thoroughbred blood. The horse gets put in the "appendix" registry to the AQHA (American Quarter Horse Association). You can wind up with an Appendix with any combination of attributes from his QH or TB side or from any of his specific relatives.

GENERALLY speaking, with an Appendix, you hope for TB athleticism, height, with a QH brain, temperament and thicker bone structure.

My money-butt horse not-withstanding, I really like Appendix's!

I've also got a TB who I adore. Another two QH's (one who has a halo above his head and another who is mega talented but also a butt), and a Belgian Draft.

Where'd you go? I managed abarn on the island for a few years before moving south.

Knoll is great cause you can take the train out to it. Brentwood Train Station is across the street.

Horses will stand in the blazing sun to graze even if there is an air conditioned barn next to them. We put the horses in there stall in the high heat of the day, run a box fan and have a timer misting system. Sweating looks worse then it affects the horse.

Yep.

COTH is the DISboards for horses, at least according to my dd, the rider and horse girl in our family. Plus, there are hilarious postings in there sometimes. If you're ever bored, do a search there on keeping gold fish in your water trough. :rotfl:

Okay this one had me wishing for "Depends"
:rotfl2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxx
I had a boarder's mare that would eat them! I couldn't figure out where they were going, until I caught her one day with the little orange tail fin flopping out of the side of her mouth. "Drop that fish, you mare!" I yelled. She looked at me and swallowed. True story.

*Mmmm-mmm,* says the mare. *Sushi!*

Too funny BUT I want this to be our nice little comfortable place, some of the remarks :sad2: too much for me

Horses will stand in the blazing sun to graze even if there is an air conditioned barn next to them. We put the horses in there stall in the high heat of the day, run a box fan and have a timer misting system. Sweating looks worse then it affects the horse.

Hi Mike I'm starting to understand that with all these good Dissers here, I did pick up a sweat scraper though today trying to correct the error of my ways. I see you're up in Ocala, the horse transport co when we moved from NY is up there. It may also be where Maxine will be going to horse school when we win the publishers clearing house at the end of the month :thumbsup2

Ruthie

Thanks Jennasis for the info about your Appendix. I'm going to be looking for a quiet horse with a nice disposition. Not looking for anything difficult.

I've heard of Knoll Farms-Never went there because it's too far for me. I ride at Stanhope Stables in Huntington. I can get there by car in half an hour without traffic so it's pretty convenient.

Too funny BUT I want this to be our nice little comfortable place, some of the remarks :sad2: too much for me

Some of the equine message boards are brutal. God forbid you do anything different then the way they do it. They will let you know instantly what a rotten, abusing know nothing horse owner you are.:lmao: I lurk on a few and weed through the info I need, but rarely post.

Some of the equine message boards are brutal. God forbid you do anything different then the way they do it. They will let you know instantly what a rotten, abusing know nothing horse owner you are.:lmao: I lurk on a few and weed through the info I need, but rarely post.

Its the same thing with dog rescue sites too that's why I figured lets have one here because we are all lovely people to begin with :littleangel: aren't we :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter