Homeschool Chat Part III

Thank you! And you blog looks awesome! :yay: I enjoy learning, but have never had a desire to teach anyone. I realize that I can't wing it with this child and need to create basic lesson plans for him. When he's in the mood to learn from me, he blows through my planned tasks in about 15 minutes. I need to step up my game. The Lego eggs activity looks perfect for him. Thanks again!

Just saw the Felt Solar System. YES! This is the type of activity for him! He can use his imagination, I can sneak in some factoids, there is no right or wrong answer with this activity. A Montesorri teacher I know told me to make sure I provide him with open-ended questions. I quickly found out workbook pages are a nightmare with him. He wrote the letter A for a photo of a green hill. Why? Because he said it was A for Art. :)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've asked for help other places online and people seem more interested in discussing their 12 year olds who are learning Calc and Physics. That's great, but those boys didn't hatch writing math equations.

:thumbsup2 Thanks so much, Missy! This was very helpful and I could definitely see us going one year! Hope you won't mind hearing from me in a year or two to pick your brain on this a bit more! :goodvibes

I don't mind at all! Please feel free to PM me anytime you want more info about the Ultimate Field Trip! I'll look forward to hearing from you!!!

Hi
My DD10 has been in a good, very small private school for K-5th, but I have seen a lot of negatives to the middle school program, so we are considering other options. Between the limited educational options they offer (spanish only, not the greatest teachers, etc) and the catty little girls in her class, I know I can do better. I think we are going to do a trial period in June to see if we can get along. DH and I are self-employed and work full time, but we are just across the driveway from our house, so we can be somewhat flexible. Here is my gameplan, please feel free to critique or offer ideas.

Math - Saxon (that is what they use at the private school and I would like to stay with it)
Science - ??? any suggestions?
History - Tapestry of Grace - has anyone experienced this? it looks amazing to me and combines several subjects? I really am hoping for feedback on this...
continue piano lessons
tumbling class - social time
small engine repair (Daddy's idea and I love it)
coed baseball in the summer
4-H - loads of social time, plus she and Daddy have a cow, are getting chickens, and have a huge garden

Any thoughts? I still need to work 6 or more hours a day, so she will need to do a lot of independent work.

Thanks
Stephanie

I just started using Apologia science this year for my 10 yo. We both love, love it. I use the coordinating apologia lap book fom A Journey Through Learning nmy son loves it. We were using the notebook from Apologia and he hated it.

I haven't used TOG, bu my aunt does. It is designed so multiple children can use it together. She loves it. I looked at it, but I can't remember why I didn't thnk it was a good choice for one child.

I'm considering homeschooling DS 8 next year, he will be entering 3rd grade. I'm considering using Time 4 Learning and wondered if anyone had any experience with it?

I'm considering homeschooling DS 8 next year, he will be entering 3rd grade. I'm considering using Time 4 Learning and wondered if anyone had any experience with it?

This this past year was our first hsing experience. My dd is currently in the 3rd grade and used Time 4 Learning. She loves it. I like the fact that they keep up with grades and averages. She takes a quiz after each lesson and test after each chapter. We do supplement with workbooks. You can cancel at anytime so if you decide you dont like it after a month you have only wasted $20.....

I used this for 2nd grade as 1/2 of our day. Well really like 3 days a week. I liked it and my DD loved it. We actually purchased cirriculum for next year but I think it is a great way to settle into homeschooling. Once you get your footing about where he is and how you want to do things you can change if you want. ;)

Thank you both for your responses! If I do decide to homeschool next year it will be with T4L.

Does anyone else have a senior graduating? My daughter just graduated with honors. She has never been to school. We homeschooled all the way through high school. She will be attending freshman orientation at her chosen college next week. I'm very proud of her!

Does anyone else have a senior graduating? My daughter just graduated with honors. She has never been to school. We homeschooled all the way through high school. She will be attending freshman orientation at her chosen college next week. I'm very proud of her!

Congrats! That is wonderful! :goodvibes

I have a graduate this year...but he is a kindergarten graduate. We are having an extended family dinner to celebrate. I just ordered a little cap and gown for him to wear. :thumbsup2

Congratulations to you and your daughter! That is awesome. I have one more year w/ dd16 and 3 more with dd14. I hope that this time next year I can say the same about dd16's first college choice. ;)

My girls have never been to school either. Choosing to homeschool was one of the BEST decisions I've ever made. You know how all the "older" moms and grandmothers come up to you when your kids are tiny and tell you to "enjoy them while they're young" or "to make the most of your years with them"? I think I can honestly say, I've done that thanks to homeschooling.

Congratulations to you and your daughter! That is awesome. I have one more year w/ dd16 and 3 more with dd14. I hope that this time next year I can say the same about dd16's first college choice. ;)

My girls have never been to school either. Choosing to homeschool was one of the BEST decisions I've ever made. You know how all the "older" moms and grandmothers come up to you when your kids are tiny and tell you to "enjoy them while they're young" or "to make the most of your years with them"? I think I can honestly say, I've done that thanks to homeschooling.

Thanks, and I believe that homeschooling was the best decision for our family too!

I'd like to ask all the veterans out there -
How did you choose your curriculum? Did you use several different things rolled into one? For example, did you use K12 for a baseline of what your children should be aiming to know by a certain time and then let them follow their passion with everything else? What about foreign languages?
My children have been at a Montessori school for the past couple of years which has been wonderful! They're all 2-3 grade levels above the "norm." They're happy and have friends, and I work there so I still get to be involved in their day-to-day experiences. But we don't know what will become of the school for next year and public school is not an option for us, for several reasons.
So I turn to you all, my DISboards compatriots to give me all your best advice and warnings, what you would do differently and obstacles you've faced and how you dealt with them.
Thanks!!
And to all the graduates - Congratulations!!

Just wanted to say hi - I homeschool two girls, 11 and 7. Both my girls have special needs, though in diffrent ways. One is high functioning Autistic and extremely gifted,but also has and profound anxiety disorder, the other has ADHD, DCD and SPD and alot of LD - I am busy LOL.

How did you choose your curriculum? Did you use several different things rolled into one? For example, did you use K12 for a baseline of what your children should be aiming to know by a certain time and then let them follow their passion with everything else? What about foreign languages?
My children have been at a Montessori school for the past couple of years which has been wonderful! They're all 2-3 grade levels above the "norm." They're happy and have friends, and I work there so I still get to be involved in their day-to-day experiences. But we don't know what will become of the school for next year and public school is not an option for us, for several reasons.
So I turn to you all, my DISboards compatriots to give me all your best advice and warnings, what you would do differently and obstacles you've faced and how you dealt with them.
Thanks!!

We're unschoolers here - we follow our girls passions for all areas. We aim to be radical unschoolers - unschooling all aspects of life, but have to admit we're not quite there yet.

Our oldest would be going into grade 1 in the fall but is so far above where everyone else is in some areas (on par in others) that it wouldn't be worth it for her or us.

I have our local school boards guideline that teachers follow - I use it as a guideline. If I don't see the girls actively pursuing an area of interest, then I take a peek and see what other kids their age might be interested in (or at least what they're learning) and I offer it.

As for foreign languages we're purchasing Rosetta stone this year for Spanish, we'd considered French since I could pick it back up quickly and Dh could learn, but our girls are much more interested in Spanish. We're going to all learn as a family so we can begin nightly 'Spanish only' time while we're all home. Once we're comfortable with Spanish we'll move on to French. We have many people around us who speak French so they'll have a lot more opportunity to use it.

For us the biggest thing is having support we have many other families following the same style as us in our area. It helps to relax when we see the 16 year old succeeding as well as the 10, 7, 5, 3 year olds in the group.

We don't force school time, but we have many resources around the house and when I see interest in something that we have a workbook (or other resource) for, I pull it out and show them what to do. Some resources we use regularly: youtube, netflix, library, picture encyclopaedia, solar system, world map, globe, dirt & seeds, bulletin board pictures pertinent to seasons, weather, nature in our area. Board games are great for so many different skills - we tend to 'push' the girls to play games beyond the recommended ages and find that the 3 yr old is typically at the 6 yr old level for games and the 5 yr old is at the 8-10 age range - the only thing holding her back is her inability to read independently yet.

The biggest challenge for me is figuring out ways to follow each girl's interest at the same time rather than forcing them all to do one thing. Of course my girls are small so their level of independence is rather small right now. So both big girls are in art and sports ball at the same time. My Oldest is in theatre and my middle in dance - same location different times. FOr summer camps we're also doubling up quite a bit. I personally find it easier to haul everyone out just once a day rather than 2 or 3. But in a couple years I won't need to haul everyone with me. Right now our oldest has the strongest desire to follow her own interest whereas the middle girl will follow along most times. But right now our youngest is fascinated with Benjamin Franklin and being a journalist so as long as we create ways for her to follow those interests, she's happy and will follow her sister for pretty much everything else.

I guess to sum up - the most important aspect is to know your kids. Mine don't sit still and find book work tedious at the best of times. They also like to find things out for themselves so if I tell them something, they still have to do it. As such we work WITH that rather than against it.

:cool1::cool1: Congrats:cool1::cool1:

2 years to go :scared: than our oldest will graduate. Can't believe we started this road and gotten this far. It has been a fun and intersting road.

Thanks!!

Because you have been at a Montessori school, I don't think unschooling will work for you. But I could be wrong. It will take some trial to figure out what works for you. I know that for my DD that except for language work, school work on the computer is a no go. Alpha/Omega has Switched on School House, it works for some but it is computer based no books. They also have workbooks. I felt it did not challenage my kids enough. Where as a friend thought Abeka was too hard for her kids, they had learning disabilities.

My suggestions for you would be to figure out where your kids are. Do they need a structured type curriculm(Abeka), would they like to work on the computer(SOS)? What activites do you need to find for them like sports or art or music? What grade will your kids be at? Can they work indepentantly? Younger kids, I keep school lighter anf more on the fun side, high school differant ball game;) I have both, a 2nd grader and a 11th grader. I would also find a co-op or homeschooling group in your area. People in the gorup should not have an issue to let you look at their stuff. For forgein language, I like Rosetta Stone, but you can find all sorts of stuff at book stores and at your local library to borrow to see what works for you.

Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter