Homeschool Chat Part III

OK, new question, different child.

My dd will be in 7th grade next year. My dh has finally agreed to put hs'ing her on the table. Here's where I'm stuck. She has been in a gifted program since 1st grade. She has consistently worked 2 years ahead. For example she just finished 8th grade math, Worldly Wise 8 etc. At home we've been testing thru Saxon Alg. 1.

So how do I go about figuring out how to place her? My thoughts are

Classical Conversations Challenge A. (not totally sure this will challenge her enough, but it would be nice having all my kids doing the same program.

Have her join in our current curriculum, learning adventures, adding her own math and science. The curriculum is geared for 4th-8th grade. Maybe add in extra literature and vocab?

Find something (what?) at a 9th grade level.

Thoughts? Ideas?

May I ask what is the status of the Homeschool group getting its own thread?
It's funny because I come to the DIS for losts of great and crazy FYI and after a long break (that conversation will require a stronger drink than coffee :rotfl:) I figured the HS group would have its own thread. :confused:

My dd will be in 7th grade next year. My dh has finally agreed to put hs'ing her on the table. Here's where I'm stuck. She has been in a gifted program since 1st grade. She has consistently worked 2 years ahead. For example she just finished 8th grade math, Worldly Wise 8 etc. At home we've been testing thru Saxon Alg. 1.

Classical Conversations Challenge A. (not totally sure this will challenge her enough, but it would be nice having all my kids doing the same program.

Have her join in our current curriculum, learning adventures, adding her own math and science. The curriculum is geared for 4th-8th grade. Maybe add in extra literature and vocab?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Look into Christian Liberty Press, they do placement testing. It might be online not sure but the CAT-5 testing is. It could give you a heads up on to where to start her. It could save the headache about finding curriculm.

Had a friend whose DD was blowing thru the books, finally tested her and she tested about 3 grades above.

I hope teaching reading is working out;)

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi! I always love meeting new HSing families and was so happy to see this thread here. Disney and HSing - what could be better? :) We have been HSing for a year now and absolutely love it. DS1 is starting 3rd grade and DDs are starting 1st.

Nicole - Ditto the placement testing. We don't do a full base curriculum - just piece everything together. So the placement testing has been wonderful because we're not going based on grade numbers - just based on what the child's individual level is at. And you may find some of the curriculum numbers are different than what the PS level is. For instance, we found that Horizons 1 was equal to our local PS grade 2. But others aren't necessarily the same as that. And how exciting that your DH agreed to talk about it! We tossed the idea around for years before he agreed to really discuss it. I'm so happy he did. It's been so freeing in so many ways!

Is anyone else in my boat? My ds(8) does wonders in math and science, but it seems every time he has a seizure he regresses in reading. He was reading at a 2nd grade reading level last fall. We are now back at K4, with basic phonic blends. Yet he retains math and is doing multiplication.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I think I'd try to find something at her level. Have you read The Well Trained Mind? It might be a good reference for you. I don't know if you want secular materials or not but you might want to look at Veritas Press Omnibus for her( it's a Christian company).

This is a loaded question: but how (where) do you teach? In my mind, homeschooling is quiet and calm with us moving easily from subject to subject as we sit at the kitchen table Duggar-style. In reality, I have a 2 year old and our kitchen chairs aren't really that comfortable. Also, we don't really have a good place for individual work, since the kitchen table is in the same area where the 2 year old plays. Ideas?

This is a loaded question: but how (where) do you teach? In my mind, homeschooling is quiet and calm with us moving easily from subject to subject as we sit at the kitchen table Duggar-style. In reality, I have a 2 year old and our kitchen chairs aren't really that comfortable. Also, we don't really have a good place for individual work, since the kitchen table is in the same area where the 2 year old plays. Ideas?

We started at the kitchen table. Didn't work well for us. Distraction central, and I'm not talking about the baby we had at the time. It was, I need to get water, what's that outside, I'm hungry etc. I'd turn my back to get the next book and he'd be gone and it would take 15 minutes to get him back at the table.

I know a lot of people are successful that way but spring break of our first year I double purposed our bonus room into a classroom/playroom. It has worked out well. Our now 4 yo can play in his room and I can still hear him, but he's not a distraction, we don't have to totally clean up to eat. I can cook and he can still do work w/o being distracted.

I also have desk in his room. He tends to "get distracted" and will take forever to do his work. This enables him to procrastinate but the others in the house can still play if they want.

Have school will travel ;)

We have done the kitchen table, the living room floor while I folded laundry, computer/craft room, we read books on the road now, and when we move we pack school and do it in the airports and in the cars.

The cool thing with homeschooling, you find what fits your family. Kitchen table does not work throw it out. Well, for school anyway:rotfl: Do school sitting outside at your picnic table, if you have one;) Why use a table? Sit on the floor or do one subject at the table and than move somewhere else for another. Sometimes DS stands to do school at the kitchen table, he can focus better.

After posting this I discovered the workbox system. I'm super duper excited to try it. I love how DD will be able to do independent work independently without the constant "Mom, what's next" or "mom, how much more do we have to do?"

Hi everyone! We have decided to homeschool, and I am SO excited about it.:goodvibes Our oldest is 6 and will be in the 1st grade, and our little one will be 3 in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any tips on working with these 2 ages together? I am also so overwhelmed with curriculum. Saxon math and Apologia science have been recommended to me. I am unsure of the other subjects and Bible study. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Hi! I will be homeschooling DS (6, 7 in August) for 1st grade. I also have DD (4, 5 in October) and DD (2) who will be in preschool a few mornings a week. What we will do is while the girls are in preschool we will do History (Story of the World), Science (Apologia Astronomy) and Math (Abeka). DD (4) has math and science in preschool so I don't want to add more. In the afternoon while DD (2) naps we will do phonics/reading (Explode the Code and Sonlight), Bible and Handwriting (Handwriting without Tears). DS and DD are almost on the same level for phonics/reading so those will be easy to do together, handwriting is pretty independent work and Bible is for both. That's how we are planning on doing it!

Hi everyone! We have decided to homeschool, and I am SO excited about it.:goodvibes Our oldest is 6 and will be in the 1st grade, and our little one will be 3 in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any tips on working with these 2 ages together? I am also so overwhelmed with curriculum. Saxon math and Apologia science have been recommended to me. I am unsure of the other subjects and Bible study. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks so much!

We had friends who would have "kits" put together. Little shoebox type things that would come out only during school and that is the youngest schoolwork. It was always learning fun type games. Could also get begining workbooks that lil one can work on while school is in "session". ;)

We use a Bible devotion by VeggieTales, 365. History, health, I would get books from the library to read that work with that. For language or phonics, I like Abeka. There is also a writing system that each book is called a letter of the alphabet, and it uses verses. You will need to look that one up in Christian Book Distru.(CBD.) It starts, I think, at "A".

We use Sonlight for History, Language Arts and Reading. I LOVE it. We use Singapore math. Also LOVE. We did Sonlight science last year, and I didn't love it because it jumped between topics. I'm going to make some of my own science lessons this year, use up the Sonlight stuff we didn't finish and then revisit a new science curriculum.

As for the 3 year old, I'm setting up a workbox system for both my 7 yo and my 3 yo. The 7 yo will have 12 workboxes and the 3yo will have 6. The first 3 boxes for the little one will be things to do with mommy (like practice reading, count math counters) and the bottom 3 will be independent school work like color a picture, do a puzzle.

Hello everyone, I was wondering if everyone would be willing to share what you use for literature for any/all grades. I am most interested in using real books for a majority of the course, but a "text" or reference book to go along is good too.

Thanks! (I will have 3 in school: 7th, 4th, K.)

Hello everyone, I was wondering if everyone would be willing to share what you use for literature for any/all grades. I am most interested in using real books for a majority of the course, but a "text" or reference book to go along is good too.

Thanks! (I will have 3 in school: 7th, 4th, K.)

I use Learning Adventures. It is a unit study, but it would be worth the $$ for the literature portion alone. It is written for 4th-8th grade. I use it for Bible, Literature and History. I don't use the Grammar, Science or Fine Arts portion.

Hi everyone! I have put together a Sea World field trip for our homeschool group in GA. We have people from all over the state of GA coming. We have additional space if anyone would like to come. The date is Mon, Sep 24. The cost is $25 per person ages 2 and up. This is a significant discount from regular Sea World prices! If anyone is interested in going let me know and I can send you more information. :)

Thoughts? Ideas?

Try Northwestern University's Center for Talent Development. They have a program called Gifted Learning Links (GLL). Children from all over the world use these online programs and they're not only for math. They have all different subjects. I believe it works on a semester based system.
We've never used GLL, but my daughter has gone to their summer enrichment camp and it is phenomenal! Good luck!

You don't have to work with them at the same time. I homeschool during the summer. My children are used to taking turns so it works out fine. Just make sure you have enough work for them to do in case they finish faster than you planned! We have a stack of workbooks and each child has their own page of ipad apps. We brainstormed various craft ideas for the summer.

Have an outline of what you what the child to learn in the next 30 and next 60 days. Remember, you can cover a lot of ground when working one on one. You won't need hours of teaching time so it will be easy to give both children attention.

It sounds like one comprehensive program would be better for you than trying to put it all together yourself this first year. Sonlight receives a lot of praise. Check out CountingCoconuts blog for creative ideas on workbaskets for your 3yr old.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter